-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Bravado's". Thats it! Thanks joken2. Good movie.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't disagree with many of the choices, but am surprised that I didn't see "Will Penny" mentioned...perhaps I missed it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I just caught the Heston movie The Last Hard Man recently, and it was pretty watchable.

Id recommend.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John Wayne suffered from the identical fate of Elvis. Elvis just has to appear on stage and fans would go wild. John Wayne was cast is films because he was John Wayne and John Wayne sold theater tickets. It was not until he was cast in Red River did Howard Hawks recognize Wayne's ability to act:

"According to Hawks, Wayne's frequent director John Ford was so knocked out after seeing the actor as Tom Dunson in Red River, he remarked, "I never knew the big son of a bitch could act," and would thereafter come around and watch whenever Wayne worked with Hawks."

This is an excellent review of Wayne's performance in Red River.

Wayne did make a few excellent films. I do buy in to the believe that he won best actor for True Grit more of his acting legacy than for his performance in True Grit. Wayne's acting performance in his last film, The Shootist, was much better. I believe that Wayne would have been recognized more for his ability to act rather than his movie roles had he been more discriminating in roles he played. Some of his movies were abjectly stupid. But John Wayne was John Wayne, and people paid to see john Wayne more so than his films.

John Wayne is buried not too far from where I live. I have never visited his grave. His boat, Wild Goose, is used as a tour boat in Newport Harbor. I was on it a few years ago, including a tour of his quarters.

He used to live in Bayshore Estates in Newport Beach.

I still like John Wayne. However, I do think that there were better actors of that era including Steve McQueen & Clint Eastwood. But John Wayne was John Wayne and he sold theater tickets.

BTW, I like Rio Bravo, but Dean Martin was the best actor in that film.

Red River is more than an excellent western. It is an excellent film. It is a western adaptation of Mutiny on the Bounty. Tom Dunson proved that mutiny can be justified.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"Red Sun" Charles Bronson.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
wat movie y'all talking about?

Monte Walsh.

Travis

Link

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Another I just remembered liking pretty well is The Culpepper Cattle Co.

Although not a movie about the 'Old West' but post WW2 west, All The Pretty Horses is also a fairly decent western theme movie.

(The young boy, Lucas Black, that played, Frank Wheatley, friend to Billy Bob Thorton's character, Karl, in Slingblade, plays an excellent scene stealing part in a supporting role as the character, Jimmy Blevins, in this movie.)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Add "The Professionals" to the list...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qD07cao4O2k

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ulzana's Raiders is a very good western movie too.

Ulzana's Raid. One of the very few western movies to portray the management of horses as critical in a long pursuit cool

Also I'm gonna throw in Geronimo. An American Legend for Robert Duvall's fine portrayal of Al Seiber.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My all-time favorites are the spaghetti-western series" Fist full of dollars, Few dollars more, and Good, bad, & the ugly.

I especially like the music provided by Ennio Morricone.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by geedubya
Agree with all of the above.

plus

Paint Your Wagon

Once Upon A Time in the West

GWB

Once upon a time in the West ,great movie !

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like "Big Jake" best of all his westerns, but I like those films at the "transition" times, when the West was changing (think "The Professionals") and a few others. A few cars, new-fangled pistols, etc.

I liked "Big Jake" because it had that stuff, and old Richard Boone as the bad guy. He did a really good bad guy.
Didn't like the Duke's idiot son trying to act, but no one movie is perfect.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Slightly off topic, but I have heard people say that Lee Marvin was as roudy as the characters he played in his films.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey Jericho,

Have you seen 'Jericho'?

Another great western. Leon Coffey was terrific.........another great one.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jeremiah Johnson
Wild Bunch
Rancho Deluxe

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
SBH,
I have never seen it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Slightly off topic, but I have heard people say that Lee Marvin was as roudy as the characters he played in his films.

That is true. Marvin and Jack Palance were good friends and after finishing shooting their respective teevee shows, one at Desilu Studios and the other at Paramount Studios, they would go bar hopping in the various bars on Santa Monica Blvd. and Melrose Blvd. Palance, back in those days, was known to be a bit rowdy at times, too. Their studios paid for more than a few bars that were damaged when Marvin and Palance got kinda "rowdy." wink

Another "watering hole" that was frequented by John Wayne and his friends, Ward Bond, Bruce Cabot, etc., was the old Cock & Bull Bar & Grill on upper Sunset Blvd., in West Hollywood. It wasn't too unusual for the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department's deputies to have to go there late in the evening and "settle things down." grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
Add "The Professionals" to the list...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qD07cao4O2k

10/4 on that.
I was thinking this morning, why didn't I mention that last night.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The Man From Snowy River

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jericho
SBH,
I have never seen it.

J,

Try it out. I think it's worth it even buying from Amazon. It's okay for family. A very low profile flik that came out a decade or so ago. Leon Coffey is an ex pro-rodeo clown...and did a great performance. Stars Mark Valley. A few stories co-mingled into one decent movie.

Just put my DVD version on............

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,064
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.