Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1B just nailed it!

As for me, I have days when I can shoot well, and days that I cannot. On the cannot days I don't beat my head against a wall, I shoot fun stuff like pistols at cans and clay targets, then go home happy and try the paper some other time.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Go shoot turtles for a few weeks. It will line a guy out

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea I use to shoot that way. But 10 years on night shift managed to open them groups up even on a great rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Someone started a thread about a "gun" that shoots table salt... good on house flies out to about 4 feet IIRC... I expect I'll have one someday and be working on getting it set up with Crimson Trace laser grips grin

That was me John, and I am glad it's fly season.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just about gave up on a re-barreled 700 MR 7-08 that refused to shoot consistently. It wasn't: scope, bases, trigger, barrel heating, brass, powder, seating, or the operator. It was adding 10g of bullet weight combined with needing to be very clean. Now it's touching bullet holes and doing it cold or warm in new or FF brass with said operator under intense mosquito pressure. It ain't right.

Eliminating variables and combinations thereof can turn into a full-time job...

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I couldn't get my .257 Roy to shoot light bullets. Went to a 110 gr accubond, and 1.5" shrunk to 3/4". It was hell too, because I hate being forced to shoot paper at the range.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kitch,

How did you feel about your shooting that day?

Was your mind in the right place?

Were you able to call your shots and do so with confidence?

The mental aspect of shooting groups is just as important as everything else. If there's things on your mind that interfere with your ability to focus 100% then the results may not be optimal. The next time you go to the range shoot with the steely eyed precision that you know you have. If the groups aren't what they should be you'll know it's not you.

CONFIDENCE !

Don't give up. Everybody has a bad day once in awhile.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I didn't feel good at all about the results of the shooting. My mind wasn't in the right place on the way to the range much less when I got there. I'm having a lot of problems with the leg and foot and was concerned if I could even walk down and back to the 100 yard target area to tack up my targets.

I lucked out there as there was only one other guy there when I pulled up, a young black guy in his mid to late 20's and we exchanged salutations and he asked if he could go on down to tack his targets up. I asked if he would do mine as well and explained the leg condition. He obliged and I was relieved about that.

I had the leg on my mind and was concerned if my dog was ok. I don't like leaving him alone for very long. Just a quirk of mine. I knew I had a lot to do with a new scope, rifle, and another rifle with an exchanged scope I'd have to bore sight along with a lot of new loads and keeping up with what groups were shot with what bullets/loads and didn't know how long that would take.

All in all I was there physically but not mentally. I tried to concentrate on what I was doing but had a lot of excess baggage in the subconscious. Maybe next time will be better. I did h ave to retrieve my targets as the fellow that tacked them up for me left about an hour later. It was difficult going down and pulling the targets down and walking back. I had to stop twice. That takes all the enjoyment out of shooting when pain over rides it.

Last edited by Kitch; 06/11/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now you know what the problem was and that's a good thing.

The next time you go to the range make it easy on yourself and plan on working with just one rifle. If things are going good then decide if you want to do more range work. Don't do it because you have to.

Have fun with it. smile

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I usually take two rifles-the 243 and 270 or the 22-250 and the 270. The FW barrel on the 270 heats up after three shots so, I let it rest, grab one of the other ones that's cold and shoot a five shot group, clean and grab the 270 again. It's usually cool enough at that point. So, I bring two at least just to rotate them. I was just testing too many things and had more than I should have on my mind besides that. It all seemed more work that pleasure that day.

Last edited by Kitch; 06/11/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,166
Posts18,523,612
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.