Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Freddy
Thanks for your help guys, I believe while at the shop I was looking at a Smith and Wesson MP 4 or something like that, it was a plain Jane, I asked what the cost would be to add a 20 in barrel and the price jumped from $699 to $1100, that is without a scope and bipod, is a bipod worth the extra money, also he installs Vortex scopes on his rifles, a 3X9 scope runs an extra $200, so I am looking at about a grand with scope and bipod added to the MP model.

Sounds a bit like you are looking at an M&P Sport:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

and also sounds a little on the high side:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SMWE

If so, those usually get very good reviews and are usually mentioned as being better than anything else until you break in to the $1000. Too bad it probably isn't one with the 1-8 barrel, but other than that they are nice.

Probably about right on the price jump to 20" because you are going in to a diffferent model(the M&P PC I assume?) and seems like quite a few brands are higher on 20" guns, likely due to smaller production runs and a smaller market versus carbines these days.

Don't think I would go with the bipod unless you are getting a free floating set up and/or you plan on shooting only off the bipod. Haven't tried an AR with a bipod, but based on trying other non-free float rifles with bipods there can be some rather extreme vertical POI shifts between shooting off the bipod versus not so I tend to doubt the relatively thinner barrel of the typical AR would improve that issue.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Aside from the FET bickering, I think many of the points of picking an AR have been covered. I will try to list them for the OP to make an informed decision.

Price
Function
Weight (I added that because I hate 10# AR's)
Trigger
Barrel length and contour, gas system, chambering.
Brand name vs. Clone

I have an affinity for lightweight AR rifles (in the 7 pound range, not true lightweights, even tho I am piecing one of those together right now.)

It is really difficulty to not find good deals out there right now. As already mentioned Palmetto State Armory has some great specials, Primary Arms etc. Plenty of Fathers day specials, even if you are a mother #$^%^$...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Aside from the FET bickering

Nothing to bicker about. What I mentioned happens quite often. The problems come when the officers begin selling them to civilians.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/07/veteran_cop_harry_leroy_kelley.php

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=76&t=674329

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think I speak for everyone when I say, "who gives a [bleep] about anything you post?"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+1 Sherp go troll over at AR.

IC B2

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I do remember that the Smith was the only model that he had on display that did not have a free floating barrel, I have lot of shopping around to do, there are about ten AR dealers within fifty miles of where I live.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
I think I speak for everyone when I say, "who gives a [bleep] about anything you post?"

Those examples are kinda hard to argue with as we can tell by your general unhappy tone lightly seasoned with expletives.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do remember that the Smith was the only model that he had on display that did not have a free floating barrel, I have lot of shopping around to do, there are about ten AR dealers within fifty miles of where I live.

That really does sounds like the Sport. In addition to the markings those have an integral trigger guard, no forward assist, and no ejection port door.

Keep in mind a free float forearm sans high accuracy barrel firing high accuracy ammunition will not accomplish much in terms of performance so be sure what barrel you are getting and what ammo you choose or else the pricier free float forearm would be money wasted.

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have been doing a lot of reading and research the last couple of days, due to my limited budget I will probably buy a complete rifle instead of building one. I am strongly considering a DPMS or Smith and Wesson, the DPMS is a little less money but the Smith appears from what I have read to be of better quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at Armalite,they are still building a damn good rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rifle
Take a look at Armalite,they are still building a damn good rifle

Yep, and most importanly Armalite is still selling anything officers in ban states want instead of screwing them over and limiting them to only what is civilian legal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sheep is one of those "special" children that rides a bicycle and whom the local police have given a crossing guard belt along with a ticket book so they can "pretend" to be a real policeman.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Sheep is one of those "special" children that rides a bicycle and whom the local police have given a crossing guard belt along with a ticket book so they can "pretend" to be a real policeman.

Not me.

Why do you hate all police?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am surprised your mom lets you use the computer this early.

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I started this because I need some help in purchasing an AR 15 style rifle so lets knock off the childish comments OK. If you want to discuss other issues there are other forums.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
no childish comments dude, Sherp Sheep is a troll.

Last edited by jimmyp; 06/16/14.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sheep, oughta stick to his elf swords

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started this because I need some help in purchasing an AR 15 style rifle so lets knock off the childish comments OK. If you want to discuss other issues there are other forums.

Good on you for telling them to stop the childish name calling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am surprised your mom lets you use the computer this early.

Didn't have to ask her since I am not living in her basement.

Does your banging on the keys in your mom's basement upset her johns in the morning or something?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (160user, 16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,809 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,304
Posts18,526,043
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.