Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
For years I have carried a Model 77 with a laser clamped to the barrel as a coon hunting gun. Light and easy to unload (compared to tube fed) after shooting the coon out. The only damage it ever had was when a bottle of texas pete leaked on it when it was in the tool box of my truck. That will really screw up the finish on the metal parts.

They are not fun to take apart. Even less fun to reassemble.

The only issue I have had is the post that the magazine rides on can get bent and re-adjusting it is real pain.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Mac84
Does anyone have one or have experience with one?
The one I had was a total POS. The barrel slips into the receiver and is held in place only by a shim in a slot in the plastic stock. If the shim gets even the slightest bit loose, the barrel will wiggle in the receiver. Since the rear sight is on the receiver, not the barrel, you won't ever hit anything twice in a row. At 50 yds, I could keep most of them in a 6" circle. Sometimes.

I thought I was the only one with those issues.

Tip-off mounts are on that receiver too. Makes the scope useless as you described as well. Gunshow fodder. wink

I don't know what you guys are talking about. the rear sight is NOT on the "receiver". The front and rear factory sights are on the barrel. And if you shoot with the barrel mounted sights they are plenty accurate.

it's when you start to try mounting scopes and other sights on that "receiver" which is merely a tin metal overlay that you will start running into trouble.

They definitely float independently, the barrel from the receiver. If I wanted an improved rear sight or some kind of scope on a nylon 66 I'd mount it somehow off the factory rear sight location on the barrel itself.

I like mine.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had one since about 1962 and have shot unknown piles of ammo thru it. I took it apart once and the local gunsmith cussed me and my mother for bringing it in for him to reassemble. It now lives at my shop for dispatching rabid coons and skunks that seem to show up with some regularity.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I know where the rear sight is. The problem I had was mounting even a simple Weaver K-4 on top of the receiver. That receiver is only a thin shroud that is loosely held in place by a couple of screws that wouldn't tighten well enough to give the scope any sort of rigidity.

But, as I said, the rifle was traded at a gunshow about 15 years ago.

Nylon 66's were probably a decent .22 for the money in their time. Lots of folks love them. I just happen to be one that doesn't. My old Marlin auto loader was way more accurate and solid. wink

Best thing I can personally testify about the Nylon 66 was that I made money on the deal.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Best thing I can personally testify about the Nylon 66 was that I made money on the deal.

Well, that's a bonus. grin

Mine was a gift from my stepfather and I am pretty fond of it for that reason and also because it's so dang light for woods carry.

I scoped mine once and quickly came to terms with the fact that they are not scope guns.

(For the reason you just stated)

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Love mine as well.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
do you know the name for yours (without googling?)

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned more than a dozen Nylon 66's over the years and they are light and almost indestructible with any care at all. They won't stay zeroed with a scope due to the Receiver Cover not being solidly mounted, but with open sights there is nothing better. If i had to survive in the woods for any period of time the Nylon 66 would be my first choice in a 22 survival rifle, they require no Lubrication to function and i have never had one jam . I have the Mohawk Brown at the moment and will probably die owning at least one

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Apache Black??? But I call her Natalie. crazy

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mink

I was thinking you had it named Obama or Moochela

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
grin

Mine is a brown Mohawk.

What did they call the green ones?

Something clever here.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
grin

Mine is a brown Mohawk.

What did they call the green ones?

IIRC, Seneca.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by Mink

I was thinking you had it named Obama or Moochela

Nooooo like her way to much for that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You ever get by the Bass Pro in Springfield. They have a white one on display.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
BTW, the Seneca Green is the rarest and Cabelas has one listed for $649. Lot of dough for a 66...

A few years ago, my son bought a Mohawk Brown 66 from a friend for $35. It was missing the front sight, but it wasn't that hard to find a replacement.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/16/14.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
never seen a white one

Something clever here.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wonder if it's factory or someone turned it white.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

must have been sitting in the sun to long

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

must have been sitting in the sun to long

laugh

I'd like to examine that one close.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sold one on the classifieds here a couple years ago. It was ANIB with the hang tags and a bunch of marketing stuff like a Remington hat, 12 coupons to send in once a month for a dollar rebate on ammo, and some other neat stuff.

It sold for $650 IIRC...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,502
Posts18,509,209
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.