Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Boxer

'flave,

How long until your 64 is tilted and Fix [bleep]?!?

Bob said it's shipping today. And Ideeho isn't far from Montana so I'd say she'll be bed, floated, angled, and scoped by next Wednesday.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete,

10x is a forgiving ceiling,but a 16x Fixed [bleep],blows a 1" Reupie 24X outta da' water. UGLY style!

With his 16x being MOA erector and Mil reticle,I'd be hip on going Retrostalgic in dialing ele and sliding wind on the glass. One can still chase subtention via splash and hold-off on the 2nd attempt,whether it in height or drift.

I concur that the MQ reticle is superior in this avenue,but I'd bolt that 16x on sooooooo [bleep] fast,you'd not believe it. It's far and away the most potential,of that which lays at his immediate opportunity.

So I'd be very much thinking in MOA,as per the erector and Mils for wind. That as a means of tidily hedging a bet and making copious "luck". Once a guy is outta erector(and he knows well in advance where that threshold is),come-ups beyond that distance can be easily extrapolated in advance to Mils,as the final curtain call. Hardly "daunting",if given an advanced thunk and there's NEVER any [bleep] reason to be counting fingers & toes to arrange such splendors.

The phone call,smooths all.(grin)

Was looking at the SS range of fixed powers and they are very modestly priced forwhat you get. If I was your side of the pond, I would move on the x24, and get a nice shiny new 10x42MQ just because life is to short to mess about with mixed units...But hey, that's me, I like an easy life!

Whats your take on the side focus ~V~ rear focus found on some of the range?

Regards,

Peter

PS Still trying to find a polar bear and a snow field to check the resolution on the Falcon! grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by deflave

'flave,

How long until your 64 is tilted and Fix [bleep]?!?

Bob said it's shipping today. And Ideeho isn't far from Montana so I'd say she'll be bed, floated, angled, and scoped by next Wednesday.

Travis

Flave gimme a full report on how that works as I've got a 64 action Bee that might be gettin the treatment next [Linked Image]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pete, no it will primarily be a shorter range gun but I kinda want my cake and eat it too..hence me asking about the scope/rail options. Shootin at distance with these is affordable coupled with way too much fun.
Everything you and boxer say about the milquad reticles can't be denied, I won't even try to argue. But I gots to do some learning on the subject first. The mildot 16x is paid for and sittin so it's most likely gonna find a home on the 54..and again 300 yards is as far as I can go at the time.

If things change later and I get knowledged up, I won't hesitate to make the milquad jump..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Pete, no it will primarily be a shorter range gun but I kinda want my cake and eat it too..hence me asking about the scope/rail options. Shootin at distance with these is affordable coupled with way too much fun.
Everything you and boxer say about the milquad reticles can't be denied, I won't even try to argue. But I gots to do some learning on the subject first. The mildot 16x is paid for and sittin so it's most likely gonna find a home on the 54..and again 300 yards is as far as I can go at the time.

If things change later and I get knowledged up, I won't hesitate to make the milquad jump..

The choice between Mildot and Milquad is not a big factor..Both have sub divisions based on Mils. Your Mildot has 5 Mils "of drop" below the horizontal of the crosshairs, where as the the Milquad has 10 Mils

So lets say you own the latest ".25 1/2 Super" and on your Mildot scope, to reach 600m you had to holdover using the 5th Mildot..To go any further, you need to start spinning the elevation turret..

However with the Milquad, you've got any additional 5 Mils of hash marks, meaning you could hold over using the 10th mil hash mark and get out to say 900m with out needing to turn turrets..So the Milquad and Mildot are very similar in concept, but the Milquad has 5 more Mils so will get you further.

Now on what is termed a Mil/Mil scope, the clicks on the turrets are also in Mils, typically with one click = .1 Mil.

So on my scope if I need 15 Mils of elevation to reach 800m, I can either spin the turrets 150 clicks, or spin it 50 clicks (5mils) and use the 10th Mil hash mark on the Milquad reticule to give me another 10mils.

On your scope however, you have MOA turrets, and I am guessing 1click = 1/4MOA so you now need to do a calculation to figure how many clicks equals a Mil ect..its doable, but not so easy..

Going back to a Mil/Mil scope, another example..

Lets say I take a shot at a target approx. 642m away and my drop chart says I need 3.8Mils to get me to650m. I therefore dial in 38 clicks which equals 3.8Mils of elevation and take the shot. I watch for the "splash" and see the shot lands short a couple of feet cause I estimated the range wrong.

Using the Mil hash marks or Mil dots on the reticule of the scope, I can now measure how many Mil hash marks/dots there are from my POI to the Point of Impact. Lets say the bullet hit .5Mils low.

For my second shot, I therefore know I need to add an additional .5Mils of elevation or in other words, another 5 clicks on the elevation turret.

You could do a similar thing just as easily if a scope had an MOA reticule and MOA turrets ie its whats termed "MOA/MOA", but when you mix the units ie MOA turrets and Mildot reticule as in your scope, a different approach is needed, plus some calculations.

As I said before, its doable, but less straight forward and in fact Boxer in his previous post makes some suggestions as to how to get around the issue..

Regards

Peter

Edited to add: Boxer can correct me if I am wrong as I've not run the figures, but I have a strong hunch that to get out to 300yards with your .22LR and that x16 scope, you will manage fine with a 25MOA rail, and the 75MOA rail is really only needed for very long range shooting well in excess of that.

Last edited by Pete E; 06/19/14.
IC B2

B
Boxer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
'flave,

You's gonna schit!

ToldjaSo.(grin)

Pete,

I'm a great fan of the rear mounted focus. It's less obtrusive,easy to get too and will of course fend licks better.

I've lonnnggggg gunned MOA erectors and suffered OldSchool MilDots,so they ain't Greek to me or even close. On a fast stepping/high BC centerfire,I'm more apt to factor reticle substension on an OldSchool reticle,than I am a 22LR which requires a whole bunch more correction.

With the 22LR,I'm simply gonna gun the erector for ele,slide wind on the glass,then as a last resort stack the remaining 5 Mils in the windshield,atop a maxed out erector,in order to reach the limits of the platform. Oh I might could remember some closer range substension come-ups,for hasty movers too.(grin) The 16x will track like it has eyes and the depths of the erector's adjustment latitude,is very warm and very fuzzy.

So with a known velocity,a known BC and a known atmosphere...ele corrections ain't gonna be much of an issue,though wind assuredly is. I tend to extrapolate chamberings/boolits at the 1:1 Ratio and that is the distance at which 1MPH of wind,shifts impact 1MOA. That's an intellesting correlation,that reliably [bleep] with heads. The impetus isn't to factor drift in inches,MOA or Mils...but accurately judge wind to the MPH. Different than the way most folks try to connect them dots,but it's the best way to learn it.

My drift charts are all factored in a 10MPH full value and deviations in wind speed are lineal shifts. Directional changes,are as well. My intent is to weigh the direction and velocity of the wind in MPH,which is then a lineal relation with my 10MPH dope. So numerous gents can be gunning a wide spectrum of headstamps/boolits,yet still be fending a like atmospheric condition. Their drift values are assuredly gonna be different(due both BC and velocity),but if all make accurate influx determinations,the connect percentages will be alike. Now NOONE reads the wind with 100% accuracy and to fend connect percentages shy of same,one obviously opts the best melding of boolit velocity/BC. To hone wind skills,the 1:1 Ratio is a nice barometer of relative evaluation.

So my LFB hits the 1:1 Ratio at the 1425yd line. A 105 Berger Hybrid at a modest 3300fps in a standard atmosphere at sea level,eats 10MOA of 10MPH full value wind at the 1425yd line.

Flip side. In a 54 Anschutz flingin' Eley EPS at 1100fps,in like conditions/atmosphere,the 1:1 Ratio is at the 280yd line. Noone connects them dots...yet most are afforded ample 280yd opportunity,where 1425 is a literal stretch. The skills requisite in each scenario,are identical. Hint.

A 16x Fixed [bleep] will reach the 300yd line from a 25yd zero,on a "flat" based 22LR and easily. That ain't the issue,the issue is how much erector latitude one's tossing in the garbage can,unknowingly. One is throwing more erector travel away,than the Leupold 24X has in it's whole enchilada,which is prolly the point.(grin)

Now it don't add great expense,great weight or any other concession(s),to reap a far greater slice of the inherent latitude available at one's finger tips. Worst case scenario is,now and again a guy gets his ass handed to him by the wind. There are worse things to "suffer" and pushing the overall skill set,while building familiarity with a platform and it's ammo,ain't the worst of news.(grin)

Though you'll always run the "risk" of Gibby cleaning your clock,with Kentucky Windage,fueled heavily with Imagination and Pretend.

Laffin'!

'fiable,

Elevation is Physics...Wind is VooDoo.

Simply count how much the 16x has in it's ele travel(does not matter,if it's on a rifle or not) and then it's easy to extrapolate inclination moves from that determination. If you've 150MOA or more,the 75MOA rail is your bitch.

For converation,a 10MPH full value wind slide,via the above cited Eley EPS at 1100fps,transpires at the 520yd line. Hint. The erector come-up,to lace same is 103.5MOA...which is 7 spins(105MOA and 1.5 skinned out). NEVER think "clicks",ALWAYS think whole values.

You've alotta bases very WELL covered.

Just got off the horn with you,so you can know what I mean.(grin) With 120MOA on tap,the 25MOA rail is your Huckleberry.

Killer Rifle you've got there.

Toldja I had the hacksaw cooling off,as you rang.

[Linked Image]

Now after talking about your receiver,you see the (6) set screws and understand their function...though this is an AMT 10/22 and there's breech block concerns inherent(base moving under recoil).

[Linked Image]

Fixed [bleep] erector denotations,as per the vertical scale on a MilQuad.

[Linked Image]

Spill your guts,after you get 'er running WFO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Montivigant

I can only lead folks to water and admittedly getta kick,outta the dehydration that takes place via the Drooling Do Nothing Dumbfhuqqs.

Dehydration. *grin*

4th,
Very nice FF/Annie Flinging System. Seems that you're staying hydrated. Looking forward to confirmation of intended outcomes....

Monti,

You have no idea how excited I was to learn about the 1407r Chese-schutz. Best news I'd heard in a long time regarding rifles by a mile. When you consider the action, stock, and repeater conversion its a no-brainer.

I'd been looking for a beater 54 for awhile and didn't find much for ~$800-1000. Boxer spilled the frijoles on the 1407r and I called Mark ASAP, and gave him a deposit. I don't think Mark was used to deposits, but I wasn't losing my spot in line grin The 1407r wasn't much more than a beater 54.

Those that doddled have missed out on the 1407r. My bud at work is waiting for his... one from the last batch.

I'd already done longrange 22lr shooting with a CZ, RT rail, and 20x Super Chicken... around 2009. I have no interest in owning another CZ grin

Jason

POS CZ...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/19/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Link Link Link Link

Annie 54 75MOA 1913 Extended Rail

You bitches have until the 4th of July to pre pay said item and then the run will be made,with expected delivery 60-ish days after the fact. Rail pictured on the site,is not the actual...if only because the actual ain't been built yet.(grin)

The actual will of course include a total of (10) fasteners. (6) for the set screws and (4) to mate OEM D&T spacing,I was on the horn,to confirm that very thang.

Done. Ordered qty=2.

Thanks,

Jason

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just ordered mine too.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Boxer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
4th,

I've more than one rifle and there ain't too much under the sun,that I've not gunned. That being said,I cain't think of anything warmer or fuzzier,than tearing open my 1407R's shipping container and being inundated with the smell of Hoppe's #9,as I slid the works outta it's parcel and lay eyes upon it's Teutonic Splendors.

It is nice when Theory meets Application and one's highest of hopes,are capably exceeded and simply blown outta the water. Mark's Craftsmanship takes things to a whole 'nother level and is readily apparent,long before the glass is mounted.

When guys call me after having ripped their parcels open and give me the "Holy [bleep] Schit!" talk,all I can do is giggle and nod my head in accordance because I get it. Then they call back,after mounting glass and say "HOLY [bleep] Schit!!!!" all over again.(grin)

I can think of no better way to align the warm/fuzzy,than to unleash an MPAJ Anschutz,that wears a copious erector,that unerringly repeats.

This R&R got cut short,so I peel a week early and it appears that the onshore "breeze" is gonna do no favors while I'm off. So it'll be tough to coincide an illuminated heel,thrashing through an unsuspecting atmosphere,as video goes. It's more of a BC 101 atmosphere,but I'll try to garner sumptin' that correlates.

Purty sure Bob is shaking his head,wondering WTF hit him,as he pencils in more players.(grin)

MCH,

Good call.

Play coy and let Gibby try to take your wager.

Laffin'!

IC B3

B
Boxer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Link Link Link Link Link...below.

Annie 54 75MOA Rail

Offer ends July 4.

Hint.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, I'll take advantage. BTW I appreciate your Knowledge, but your lack of personal awareness is becoming your caricature...

Best
Charlie

B
Boxer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Just got back from having a pard dabble my GAP Camp 54/10X MQ Fixed [bleep] in swirlin' winds and he's cutting checks too. Trip cost him a coupla 54's,several 75MOA rails,a small herd of Fixed [bleep] and a RAR Hummer.

Funny how it actually works.

Good talk.

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boxer,

What the hell is MPAJ? Gots to know...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Monkey-Pfuking-A-Jug

Shooting from field positions with a rucksack as a rest. Maybe... make-shift bags if one gets fancy. Usually no bi-pod, and sure as heck no bench of any sort.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
While I am not afforded your luxury, I am indeed envious, to be right every time. Must be sumptin' to feel that way...

Charlie

B
Boxer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Mojo',

4th' nailed it.

I'd liken it akin to using The Force,in that it encompasses making the best move in the mount,regarding that which is available.

I'm certainly a Ruck Slut and am happiest with my dick in the dirt.

4th,

Got some good use outta the SFT/Manfrotto melding today,though nothing much beyond the 600yd line,due the rather sporty wind velocity.

It'd prolly be fair to term it High Brow MPAJ.(grin)

'05,

It ain't a "feeling",it's a fact and them differences is beyond stark.

Results happen to interest me.

Hint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta love the SFT. Did you ever get to making an Alu version? To be honest, I like that ABS version that you made. No extra weight in the pack.

Been thinking about the 3D printer at work for making more SFT, but with the ABS pipe I don't know that it's worth the trouble. ABS is also "weld-able" so one could get creative with the mounting or details. Did some of that with moto fairings.

B
Boxer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Couldn't source any aluminum at work(there was miles of S/S,which I deemed too heavy) and my Boat Guy is slammed,with the opener being but days away now...so it fell to the back burner. I'm rather content with the ABS and everyone who tastes it,gets the look in their eye and goes to ordering legs/heads to accommodate same.

Brother Dave made a good point yesterday,as he was airing The Gas Passer out with the BBMFER and said "this would rock for a Moose Hunt" and we sorta reflected on how there wouldn't be too much it wouldn't excel at,assuming a guy could justify the weight/bulk. Wooftitude is a common Theme of intent,that keeps getting mentioned by all parties and Krunchenticker Sales ain't exactly taking a beating,here as of late.(grin)

He said he ordered (3) Fixed [bleep] once he got home and after they're mounted and barking,I'd look for a true herd to be destined to his Mail Box. He's got both MOA/Mil and Mil/Mil coming. For use on a Killing Rifle,the 6x42 MilDot seems to be holding it's own,rather nicely. A few pards went that route,due the current MQ's lack of supply for the last coupla months and though the MilDot were a distant second choice. That glass has very much gained favor by all users. Took a quick evening spin yesterday to gun a few zero's and connect some dots,with (3) 6x MilDot Fixed [bleep] in my crummy...which weren't mine. (1) on a Montucky 223AI,another on a Custom 700 243Win and the last on a Custom 10/22. So thus far,noone who's gunnned same can refrain and there is a couple/dozen of 'em in the neighborhood,with more being added all the time. Once everyone is back to normal after the Commercial Fishing Season(s),I reckon it'll be raining Fixed [bleep].(grin)

Then there will be more than a few trying to play catch-up,on the missed 1407R opportunity and trying to pull rabbits outta hats. I know Dave is needing a pair and a coupla other pards are thinking along similar lines. The last of the 1407R deliveries should be happening directly and those are only gonna make them who is late to The Show,even more feverish in their desires to replicate same. Guys who don't even know what a 54 is,are salting rails away.

Funny how it works and a good Feeding Frenzy gets everyone on track.(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee - I have grips like those on the MKII, and you sport a good trigger, consider a Volquartsen Rear - Bomar from east TX closed. A red dot would be sweet. Ran a EER 2x w/good results but the old Burris 3x is a good balance...FOV, etc.

Curious how do those Colts shoot?

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 43 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.