Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I really like the 4.2" SP101. It's a 5 rounder, so if the 6th (or 7th) round is important to you that might put it out of the running. Solid gun, good sight radius, less blast than a 3", and less bulk than many other full size .357's.

I got the 3" 101 for my wife and it's very accurate and rugged but I wish I would have got the 4.2" mentioned above. I worked up some 190 grain hunters supply hard casts to 980 fps over titegroup and they shoot well but look like they are starting to lean on paper at 50 feet. Accuracy is under 2" at that range from a rest but the holes are less than round so I need to test further out and see if the tumble. I'm really thinking about going back to the 158 xtp but the fastest I could run them was 1200 fps from the 3". A 4.2" barrel would be nicer for getting a little more speed.

As a side note my s&w shield 40 will run 180 xtps over 1050 with longshot.

Bb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters

Not so worried about the bears but do run into more than a few sketchy people.

If you're not really worried about the bears, then the 9 will do fine for 2 legged vermin; if you want the 357 for double duty insurance, then, IMHO, the 4" S&W 686 is your huckleberry.

Balances better than a 19, albeit with a slight bit more weight. Lots of nice used ones available at a reasonable price point.

158 gr FN hard lead or hollowpoint of your choice pumped up is hard to beat.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 357 i carry the most is my 4 inch Smith 686 with a good Hard Cast 158 gr SWC.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think that the .357 Mag is our most versatile handgun cartridge. It's capable of killing deer, and with shot capsules, birds. So it's an excellent survival gun. While I do have great respect for the .357 Mag, I think it is one our most overrated handgun cartridges.

We fish the Eastern Sierra. It has more black bears than trout. According to National Geographic, a male black bear in heat is the most dangerous animal in North America. We've seen many in the Eastern Sierra. We saw one last year in the June Lake Marina parking lot that had to go a solid 400 lbs. I had my then 11 year-old daughter with me. I try not to think about her walking across the parking lot to the restroom with that beast on the prowl.

I used to own a 6" Model 629. It was a huge gun, too big for trail carry. I was never able to master it. I could be accurate with the first shot. Recoil made accurate follow-up shots not too likely. I sold it with no seller's remorse.

Because of the bear we saw last year, I bought a 4" blued GP-100. I plan to load a hundred max velocity 180 grain Partitions for use as black bear defense. 180 grain Partitions have excellent sectional density which should translate in to ability to penetrate. I figure that six .357 Mag 180 grain Partitions ought to change a bear's dining plans. Better, I can shoot six 180 grain .357 Max a lot faster and more accurately than six .44 Mag rounds.

So far, we've been lucky. But we also have a planned response to a potential bear encounter. My kids know to drop everything they have and slowly walk behind me. We will give a bear everything we have...except our lives. Our goal is to leave the area to a bear without my having to kill it. But should it decide that our plans won't work for it, I will kill a bear before I'd allow it to get near my kids. My worry is that our smelling of fresh trout might confuse a bear causing it to think we're on its menu.

I'm considering a .41 Rem Mag. But if recoil prevents quick follow-up shots, I ain't going that route.

For bipedal vermin, I prefer .38 Special LSWCHP 158 grain +P. BTW, I have never bought in to the legend of a defensive handgun as a man stopper. It's good gun magazine stuff but lacks real world application.

Ask me and I'd say that John Browing's magnum opus in .45 ACP ain't yet been bested for bipedal self-defense. Nine 230 grain +P .45 ACP would probably work as well as six 180 grain .357 Mag Partitions for black bear defense. A 1911A1 is easy to carry, very quick to battery, and can be reloaded far more quickly than a revolver.

So, bwinters, I think a good-quality .357 Mag ought to fill your bill. As another poster indicated, I'd be reluctant to go below a 4" barrel. Also, I'd avoid super lightweight handguns. I have a 2" Model 60. Firing it with .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHP +P is not fun. Accurately shooting five of those rounds quickly would be a feat for a master shooter. Thus, I'd go with a steel gun so as to make recoil manageable. A fired bullet is worthless if it misses its target.

One more thing: if you might encounter a black bear, I'd suggest using the heaviest .357 Mag bullets you can find. You're probably going to want penetration and ability to break bones.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is your Huckleberry, a Smith and Wesson 686+ with a 3 inch barrel and 7 shots. I would run 158 grain JHP in it. Bears won't like that one bit and neither will anything else you shoot with it...

[Linked Image]

I'd have no problem carrying one of those.. Mouthy little bastard, though.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I think that the .357 Mag is our most versatile handgun cartridge. It's capable of killing deer, and with shot capsules, birds. So it's an excellent survival gun. While I do have great respect for the .357 Mag, I think it is one our most overrated handgun cartridges.

We fish the Eastern Sierra. It has more black bears than trout. According to National Geographic, a male black bear in heat is the most dangerous animal in North America. We've seen many in the Eastern Sierra. We saw one last year in the June Lake Marina parking lot that had to go a solid 400 lbs. I had my then 11 year-old daughter with me. I try not to think about her walking across the parking lot to the restroom with that beast on the prowl.

I used to own a 6" Model 629. It was a huge gun, too big for trail carry. I was never able to master it. I could be accurate with the first shot. Recoil made accurate follow-up shots not too likely. I sold it with no seller's remorse.

Because of the bear we saw last year, I bought a 4" blued GP-100. I plan to load a hundred max velocity 180 grain Partitions for use as black bear defense. 180 grain Partitions have excellent sectional density which should translate in to ability to penetrate. I figure that six .357 Mag 180 grain Partitions ought to change a bear's dining plans. Better, I can shoot six 180 grain .357 Max a lot faster and more accurately than six .44 Mag rounds.

So far, we've been lucky. But we also have a planned response to a potential bear encounter. My kids know to drop everything they have and slowly walk behind me. We will give a bear everything we have...except our lives. Our goal is to leave the area to a bear without my having to kill it. But should it decide that our plans won't work for it, I will kill a bear before I'd allow it to get near my kids. My worry is that our smelling of fresh trout might confuse a bear causing it to think we're on its menu.

I'm considering a .41 Rem Mag. But if recoil prevents quick follow-up shots, I ain't going that route.

For bipedal vermin, I prefer .38 Special LSWCHP 158 grain +P. BTW, I have never bought in to the legend of a defensive handgun as a man stopper. It's good gun magazine stuff but lacks real world application.

Ask me and I'd say that John Browing's magnum opus in .45 ACP ain't yet been bested for bipedal self-defense. Nine 230 grain +P .45 ACP would probably work as well as six 180 grain .357 Mag Partitions for black bear defense. A 1911A1 is easy to carry, very quick to battery, and can be reloaded far more quickly than a revolver.

So, bwinters, I think a good-quality .357 Mag ought to fill your bill. As another poster indicated, I'd be reluctant to go below a 4" barrel. Also, I'd avoid super lightweight handguns. I have a 2" Model 60. Firing it with .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHP +P is not fun. Accurately shooting five of those rounds quickly would be a feat for a master shooter. Thus, I'd go with a steel gun so as to make recoil manageable. A fired bullet is worthless if it misses its target.

One more thing: if you might encounter a black bear, I'd suggest using the heaviest .357 Mag bullets you can find. You're probably going to want penetration and ability to break bones.

You're fulla chit, laguna..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking for a 3-4" 357 for general defense work. By general, I mean woods bumming, people, plinking, etc - general purpose. I'm thinking a Beartooth 165 FN (looks alot like a WFN) or something similar running about 12-1300. I do alot of bumming around in the woods and run into a fair amount of bears. Bears close to the Smoky's are not afraid of people and I've had encounters with them measured in feet. I also run into some sketchy people back in the hills and think I've come close to a few weed patches.

I've been carrying one of my 9m's with Winchester 147 gr defense ammo. I'm not crazy about shooting this ammo at a pissed off bear. It be fine for 2 legged vermin but don't think it'd cut it for a serious bear encounter.

What do you guys think of a 357 for this duty? Bullets you'd suggest?

Thanks.

The .357 is a proven fight-stopper, for two & four legged predators - at least black bear size & smaller. Throw growers in the mix and I think I'd want more rounds on board.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
686+.. If you need to hose fuggers down, I'd go glock 20.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Is it Rancho_Loco or Rancho_Oracle?

It's one thing to write that I'm full of chit, it's a whole other thing entirely to refute that which you know to be wrong.

I'll check back to see how you're doing.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I thought it was Rasuli back again...........

MM

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I probably have 1 dozen handguns , 22rf,9mm,.357,38 sp, 38-40, 44 mag, 45ACP.

I have 4 four .357's, a 6" SBH,a 6" 686,a 2' 66 and a 4" Security Six.

The Security Six is my favorite and it goes with me on almost all outdoor outings. A 158 gr Hornady XTP, with 13 gr of 2400 will work on most anything I am apt to encounter.

I don't think Ruger has made a comparable handgun since that model

Argreed. If I had to carry a .357 Revolver for a trail gun in Bear Country, it would Definately be my 4" Stainless Security Six loaded with the 180gr Hard Cast Buffalo Boar loads.
The Sp101's are OK, but I never could warm up to the Ruger GP-100. Too heavy and bulky for a .357 Revolver.
The Security Six was a great double action .357 Revolver. Shame they discontinued them!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/01/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I thought it was Rasuli back again...........

MM

I liked Raisuli best, but I screwed it up when I changed my email on my account.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I would be worried about hogs also.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I would go with a 1911 45 ACP loaded with 255 grain hard cast at about 960 FPS. There are several factory loads available in this loading. I like the Underwood Ammo's bullet a lot for this purpose. In my case I use the 45 Super which is about 100 FPS faster.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I'm looking for a 3-4" 357 for general defense work. By general, I mean woods bumming, people, plinking, etc - general purpose. I'm thinking a Beartooth 165 FN (looks alot like a WFN) or something similar running about 12-1300. I do alot of bumming around in the woods and run into a fair amount of bears. Bears close to the Smoky's are not afraid of people and I've had encounters with them measured in feet. I also run into some sketchy people back in the hills and think I've come close to a few weed patches.

I've been carrying one of my 9m's with Winchester 147 gr defense ammo. I'm not crazy about shooting this ammo at a pissed off bear. It be fine for 2 legged vermin but don't think it'd cut it for a serious bear encounter.

Thanks.

Personally, I'd opt for a .41 magnum. I got into a fight with a black bear while carrying an 8" Dan Wesson .357 and I sold the .357 after that incident. Honestly it did the job, and I placed shots very well but the bear took too long (for me) to die. When I went back into the field the next day with the .44, the difference couldn't be more pronounced; what a HUGE difference.

The Taurus Titanium Tracker in .41 mag would be an awesome woods packin gun in .41 mag.

My woods gun is a Smith 357PD scandium/titanium .41 magnum

Perfect for anything I could come across and although not in bear country, we are in hog country and bears have wandered through on very rare occasions. I would be shocked to actually ever see on in my area, but this gun will handle em too

I cannot speak from any experience but if I were in bear country, I think I would want something a little larger than a .357

A great option is the scandium/titanium smiths but they are not cheap and many are hard to find. They still make the 329PD which is a .44 MAG, but they discontinued the 357PD....I couldn't buy it fast enough when I found it

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just another suggestion for the .357 guns.

686+ 4"

7 shots. Very durable. You can practice all you want. This is most important I think.

I like the Speer 170gr Gold Dot Flat point (not hollow point). Expands a "little" for the two legged pests*, but holds together for the heavier stuff like big hogs. I like hard cast, but in the 4" .357, I like the Gold Dots better.

*Performance on deer as an accurate indicator.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Thanks.
This thread has gotten relatively long so please pardon me those of you whom I paraphrase rather than quote exactly.

Whoever said they wouldn't go extremely small is spot-on, IMO. It sounds like you're wanting something decently packable though. The Security Six and Model 19/66 were both mentioned and I think 4" versions of these weapons would really be great for what you want. So many different options for loads out there. Personally, I like the stainless guns best, but Blued is what I have.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yep, the 19/66 is near perfect.

The OP needs to practice, practice and more practice.

For the Smith's, the odd number chambers ie: 5/7 shots have the cylinder stop between the web. I like that for extra strength. Spitting hairs here, but the "L" frames with the under lug and a little more weight up front will give faster follow up shots if needed. But the "K" frames are great.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been watching the posts on this thread - most have been very informative. Thank you!

Ethan is spot on - I don't want a flyweight because I'll shoot upper end loads and I've shot a few 357 flyweights to know that ain't the answer. I've carried my 4 5/8" SBH 44 mag and found it to be a bit much for slipping in a pack. I also prefer a 4" barrel to get the most out of the 357 but still keep it packable. I've also shot a few small 44's and find them a bit unruly, follow up shots will take some time.

I've also held a few GP 100's and though they should be unbreakable, they felt a bit much for a 357. I settled on the SP and Security Six series of revolvers as the ideal between performance and packability. I shoot big bores a fair bit and don't expect a warm loaded 357 in a smaller frame revolver to be anything unmanageable.

I also agree with Ethan that a SS gun is the way to go. I converted all my hunting rifles to SS and am on the way to doing so with my carry pistols. SS is more maintenance free for my needs.

Not a Smith aficionado, but are the Smith K frames similar in size to the Ruger SP/Security Six series? Having held both, they seem to be similar to me. Are the K frame or Ruger SP/Security frames capable of digesting a steady diet of warm 357's?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The K frame smith in 357 are ideal in size IMHO. And the 357 loaded with 158/160 grain bullets at near 1400 fps from a 4" revolver is indeed a formidable load for your intended task.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (257man, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,514
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.