Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I carry a 2.25" SP101 in the woods, but that 4.2" seems ideal.

Great pics too! Do you have a side view pic with those grips?

Jason

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
HighRoad,

That is one good looking gun. Is it manageable with heavy, magnum rounds, say 158-to-180 grains?

I love lightweight guns for trout fishing in black bear habitat. I'm thinking of picking up an SP-101. But I'd like to shot one before I buy.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, watch out for those donut stuffed bears. They're in heat and super dangerous.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you want an SP 101, look at the older Security Six in 357. I just bought a very nice stainless Security Six with Pachmyers for a shade less than $400 shipped. The SP 101's weigh 29-30 oz and the Security Six weighs 33 oz - both with 4" barrels. I'll save a couple hundred bucks and give up 4 oz.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Highroad - dig those grips - who made those?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The .357 is overrated. A moderately loaded big bore will do a better job and not make your ears bleed.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bwinters
If you want an SP 101, look at the older Security Six in 357. I just bought a very nice stainless Security Six with Pachmyers for a shade less than $400 shipped. The SP 101's weigh 29-30 oz and the Security Six weighs 33 oz - both with 4" barrels. I'll save a couple hundred bucks and give up 4 oz.........

I'd say you picked well. I like them too. Should last you the rest of your life. I've got a 4" and a 2-3/4" tough to beat. grin

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the pics HR. Nice Ruger!

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore

That would be illegal in CO. Not saying a lot of guys don't do it though..357 is illegal for big game in CO and barrel length is 4" minimum on all handguns used on big game.
They set the law up so it is just below the threshold.

Maybe that very reason is why someone who spends more time in CO big game hunting would opt for 41 mag or? instead of a .357.

I carry a .357 though. Mostly when in the saddle. If horse or mule breaks leg or?. It's pretty hard to kill them with a knife or rock. I had to do it once with another guys horse that fell off a mountain.

If I am big game hunting with a rifle, I don't carry a handgun at all. IT would be just another 3-4 pounds that I don't need.

One extra round for the rifle is a lot lighter.

In Oregon the min is 0.24 cal.

I can't remember the last time I went in the woods, mountains, or canyons without a sidearm, even with a rifle grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I'd say it was worth 4 ounces to gain that extra hole in the cylinder. wink

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'd use 180 [grain] HC [Hard Cast] ... Buffalo Bore ammo or Fed Premium 180 [grain] Cast Cores.
This.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Missed that - another bonus!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by HighRoad

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love your back yard and your pet elk.

Our cabin borders national forest. Sometimes we'll find them in our meadow (front yard) which is always fun. Always leads to the "shootin'em from the porch" comments. These were about a mile from the cabin. Our challenge here in WA State is drawing a tag for these guy's. In this unit, there's usually 1500 applicants trying for only two (2) branched bull tags. I was not drawn this year so I'll be hunting only "True Spikes" again . . . with a few other folks. Spikes become cherished trophies when that's all you can legally take.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Highroad - dig those grips - who made those?

Hogue, they are Pau Ferro wood -- looks like dark walnut.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I just came into a 4" Ruger Security Six, mfg. date 1973, serial 150-XXXXX. I purchased from original owner who put exactly 39-rounds through it. He included the box of Federal's he bought with the gun. 11 rounds left -- price tag on red and black box is $7.05! The revolver is rust free. However, it has a lot of holster wear. The holster was a sloppy fit and the rig has bounced around in his truck (s) for 40 years.

I see on Ruger's website that they will polish and reblue a revolver for $130 plus $30 return shipping. Does anyone have experience with this service by Ruger? Good deal?

I've got a T-Grip on the way!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I also run into some sketchy people back in the hills and think I've come close to a few weed patches.

A quick tale about sketchy people in the mountains might be in order. I realize the events occurred about 40 years ago, but things have probably only gotten worse.

I grew up in Knoxville and went to UT. One of my classmates in a Botany course was a National Park Service employee for the purpose of collecting data on wild hogs for a Master's thesis. Being an employee allowed him to carry a gun and shoot hogs. He had a uniform but was told by his superior never ever to wear it out in the field collecting data. He found out one day why.

He was sitting eating a snack up on the A.T. when a man just appeared out of the brush. The man had no pack or any other gear. He was just there. He sat down and talked to my friend for a while and asked about his hunting success. My friend never said the he was a NPS employee. After a few minutes, several more men appeared out of the brush carrying their guns, packs, and other gear. The were poachers who were waiting out of sight until they were convinced my friend was also a poacher.

The NPS supervisor later told my friend that he would probably have never made it out of the woods alive if he had told the man what he really was doing. The supervisor also said that there were probably 400-500 people poaching in the park every day and that a lot of those people would just as soon shoot you as look at you. Fortunately, most poachers stay away from the popular areas and trails.

Between moonshiners, pot growers, and poachers (not to mention crazed tree huggers), the remote areas can present some rather significant dangers.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep.

I hunt alot in the mountains north of Knoxville and get off on some remote logging roads. I came out on the road one day a few years ago right at dark and found a guy looking into my truck. I was about 100 yards from him and coughed. He saw me and moved up the road without acknowledging my presence. It was in hunting season and I was carrying a rifle which I think helped him decide to move on.

I also ran into a guy last summer 2-3 miles back in that acted nervous and plain weird. He asked me all sorts of questions related to law enforcement. I left quickly and decided to do some mountain jogging for a mile or so after we parted. Pretty sure he had a pot patch nearby.

I also ran into a Plott hound that wasn't too friendly last summer. He had a tracking collar and was obviously lost from someone running bears. He'd obviously been there a while.

All told, I feel safer with a pistol.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my experience with poachers, both down here and in Virginia, leads me to believe that they don't really kill people, but they are damn wary, and probably more woods savy than most. I believe they can, and will, avoid others in the woods, rather than just shoot them.
Killing folks brings cops like flys to honey, and the last thing a poacher wants to do, is bring attention to his activities.

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I carry/have carried the 357 a BUNCH, albeit in a Marlin with a 16 1/4 barrel. If one CAN carry a rifle then it would always be my choice over a handgun.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,164
Posts18,503,048
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.