Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Just put a 7mm Rem Mag T3 Fluted Superlight on layaway at my local Sportsman's...........amazing rifle, worst stock I've ever had the displeasure of looking at/feeling/handling. And here I thought my old Savage was bad.........LOL!!!! They really need to do something about that POS synthetic stock!!!!!! But I guess they have to cut costs somehow when selling at the price they do. So now I'm already looking for stock replacement ideas.

Anyone have suggestions, preferably with pictures???

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you planning on selling the factory stock? I'm looking for one for my son's T3, I'm planning on having one cut down.

PM me if your looking to sell.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Claybirds
Are you planning on selling the factory stock? I'm looking for one for my son's T3, I'm planning on having one cut down.

PM me if your looking to sell.

Depends on which route I take really. If I decide on a wood or laminate stock, no.......I'll keep it for my western mountains hunts. If going the way of composites, then yeah. Want to get input and pics first though, before deciding.

Last edited by John_in_MS; 07/09/14.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Take a look at the Bell & Carlson Medalist. I think there is a supplier called Red Hawk rifles that usually have them in stock and get them out pretty quick. B&C definitely heavier than the original but it's a good stock.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by John_in_MS
Just put a 7mm Rem Mag T3 Fluted Superlight on layaway at my local Sportsman's...........amazing rifle, worst stock I've ever had the displeasure of looking at/feeling/handling. And here I thought my old Savage was bad....

That Salvage stock IS a POS. The Tikka has, IMO, decent ergs, and the forearm is stiffer than a B&C. If you want real upgrade, get a McMillan.

IC B2

M
M
John,

The Tikka stocks are far from the worst POS sticks that I have seen and owned. They are definitely more rigid than the Remington and Ruger stocks.... Not to mention some of the injection molded after markets.

I have 6 of the T-3 Stainless Lite rifles and have had zero problems with the stocks. Have a Remington 7 in a plastic stock that I can twist like a wet noodle.

I have the B&C Medalist on 2 rifles (not the Tikkas)... They are a good stock for the money in my opinion.

Best of luck,

Mike

Last edited by msgtmike; 07/09/14.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Tikka synthetic is probably the best of the factory synthetics. B&C would be a downgrade IMHO. The whole point of buying a Tikka, especially a superlight is to own a light rifle. Why put a heavy laminate stock on it. The B&C Medalist stocks are decent, but boat anchor heavy.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
check out Manners Stocks - it seems they have Tikka's pretty well covered.

Randy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Tikka synthetics are probably the best on the market. Light and stiff. The Savage is probably the worst. I think they melted down milk cartons to mold them.

Here is a Medalist:

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just put a 7mm Rem Mag T3 Fluted Superlight on layaway at my local Sportsman's...........amazing rifle, worst stock I've ever had the displeasure of looking at/feeling/handling. And here I thought my old Savage was bad.........LOL!!!! They really need to do something about that POS synthetic stock!!!!!! But I guess they have to cut costs somehow when selling at the price they do. So now I'm already looking for stock replacement ideas.

Since you do not have the rifle in hand yet and obviously have not shot it I suggest that you give the factory stock a try before condemning it. Regardless of your in-store impressions of it I think you will find that for a factory synthetic it is very stable and the ergonomics of it are really quite good. If it is lacking in one thing that would be that it needs a better recoil pad such as a Limbsaver or a Pachmyer.

Another point brought up in a previous post is - why buy a SuperLite and then handicap it with a heavier stock?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by drover

Since you do not have the rifle in hand yet and obviously have not shot it I suggest that you give the factory stock a try before condemning it. Regardless of your in-store impressions of it I think you will find that for a factory synthetic it is very stable and the ergonomics of it are really quite good. If it is lacking in one thing that would be that it needs a better recoil pad such as a Limbsaver or a Pachmyer.

Another point brought up in a previous post is - why buy a SuperLite and then handicap it with a heavier stock?

drover

I must admit, I'm more taken aback by the looks more than anything........LOL!!! Besides, gives me an excuse to buy a different stock for eastern tree stand hunting and range use, (preferably a nice wood or laminate). Then when it's time to go out west climbing up mountains for elk or mulies, I'll slap on the lighter OEM synthetic.

Last edited by John_in_MS; 07/09/14.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The Tikka synthetics are probably the best on the market. Light and stiff. The Savage is probably the worst. I think they melted down milk cartons to mold them.

Here is a Medalist:

[Linked Image]

Nice rig, my 300 Win sits in the same B&C...7.5lbs with VX3 3.5x10 and sling. Shoots extremely well and just feels right to me

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pretty sure the B&C stocks weigh the same(ish) as the Boyds laminates. My T3 .243 weighs 7lbs 8oz wearing 2-piece DNZs and a 4-12 Mark AR.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a McMillan on order, but I have no complaints with the B&C. Hell, I might just keep the B&C and sell the McMillan when it finally shows up.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dibs on the B&C if you decide to trip it....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Both B&C's I purchased weighed 2 lbs even, weighed on 2 diff scales...not much more than the OEM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't really like the looks of the Tikka stocks but they certainly have no impact on their ability to produce very tiny groups. Buying a new stock would have to be more for looks and feel than peformance.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have a manners on my T3 lite that I like a lot. I'll grab a picture soon.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Anyone else with pics?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have 2 t3's with McMillan stocks. Very nice guns. First one is a 300 wsm powder coated with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 and weighs 7.3 lbs and the 2nd is 270 wsm super lite with the twin stock to my 300 with 4.5-14 zeiss and it weighs 7.0 lbs. McMillan are by far your best investment for the tikka .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 50 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,696
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.