Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Agree completely about buying quality but Zeiss is quality as well and based on the warranty , I will pick it every time over S&B. This is from a guy who really wanted a used S&B but no warranty on a $1200 scope just ain't happening for me. I save too long and sweat too much for that money when there are options willing to back it up for life.

That's fair enough too. You'd think that S&B would offer a better warranty for what they cost.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love S&B scopes. I have 5 currently in use on various firearms. My favorite reticle is #9.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DonKnows and I bought two of the very first 4-16x50 PMIIs that became available back in 2000.Don uses his every year and for 13 seasons,its been Perfect.
I have used mine on and off over the years and for the last 6 years or so its been a safe queen.I dug it out and mounted it on a new project last year.For the very first vertical adjustment I made the knob was very hard to turn.When it did turn I blew past where I was trying to get.I turned it back and forth some and it seemed to settle in and work fine. This after sitting for 6 years.Scope seemed to function fine but I got a itchy feeling on the back of my neck.Had some down time where I didnt need it and called service in Virginia.I asked about a clean and check.Guy on the phone tells me a standard clean and check for a PMII cost 150 bucks.Plus parts.I boxed it up and sent it in.First time ever sending back a S&B for me.
I got it back 7 days later.
Paper inside said a standard clean and check was performed.And a internal spring was replaced.
No charge.
The thing looks and functions like new.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dave
That's great and I'm glad they took care of you but what I'm saying is that they aren't cheaper than Zeiss or Swaro and if they can offer lifetime warranties S&B should be able to as well.

I would love to own a Summit. It would be perfect in the specs I want but I can't spend that kind of money and be left to my own in just a couple years. It takes me that long to save that kind of "extra" gun money so it's a big deal to me when I have two other comparable options who will back up their product for life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Can't Complain.
The warranty thing doesnt seem to be a problem.
Im sure no expert at usuing it.But they were fine to deal with.
It was kinda explained to me this way.
They have guys wearing out PMIIs at tac matches.Hundreds of matches thousands of rounds.If its there fault there going to take care of you.You crank the knobs enough to wear one out.They still take care of it but you pay for the service.
Its been awhile but I talked to one of there guys and he told me that in there hunting scope line up, they have several of every make and model going way way back.You have a problem and are in a hurry,they just ship you there "backup".Pretty hard to beat that.
They never were cheep.
They never were light weight.
They used to have crap for eye relief.At least thats much better.
I bought a used 1.5-6x42 classic.I got a danged good deal on it and it looks new.Was thinking about sending it in and getting the reticle converted to a TDS.Makes a excellent bump and run scope.The 1.5-6 is a tank and will take abuse like none other.

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
IMO....

Pros:
1. as good as glass gets in a riflscope
2. as well made as any scope on the planet

Cons:
1. piss poor duplex reticle (non illumnated), much too thin
2. eye relief adequate at best
3. heavier than other options
4. other scopes in the $1000 and less category work just as well, and sometimes better

5. service....send back to Germany
6. no reticle change option
7. pricing has become beyond ridiculous.

That being said, if you like it, it's your money, and I hope you enjoy using it. I'm betting you will, for a long time.

seems an objective assessment

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah but Hawker a guy like you is too cheap to buy one but is readily available to agree w/something you know nothing about. Go peddle you no experience opinions some place else. powdr

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Pros:
1. as good as glass gets in a riflscope
Your wrong about alot of things but your right about that.
2. as well made as any scope on the planet
Your wrong about alot of things but your right about that.

Cons:
1. piss poor duplex reticle (non illumnated), much too thin
The guy didn't say which reticle he has.
S&B has some of the most useful reticles of any scope maker.

2. eye relief adequate at best
3.75 on anything made after 2001.At all powers, unlike some so called American scopes.
3. heavier than other options
Yes they are heavy.But they dont have any plastic internal components.Unlike some so called American scopes.
4. other scopes in the $1000 and less category work just as well, and sometimes better
Rifle scope manufacturers with inferior product always try to compare themselves to the best.
5. service....send back to Germany
Ashburn, VA U.S.A
Phone +1 (800) 468 - 3450

6. no reticle change option
Wrong again dipstick
7. pricing has become beyond ridiculous.
You get what you pay for.
That being said, if you like it, it's your money, and I hope you enjoy using it. I'm betting you will, for a long time.
Finally...Its his money.

dave

+1 on everything he said. My S&B scopes are the best I've ever looked through, bar none. When my 300 RUM ate a $1,800 Swarovski for breakfast 5 years ago, a person on this forum whose reputation is unchallenged told me (via PM)to go with S&B over a replacement Swaro. As I had two other S&B's, I took his advice and have been happy as a puppy with two peters ever since. They are simply the best.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1.5x6 on my 1950 Schoenauer [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice.

[Linked Image]

1.5-6x42 Zenith Flash Dot.

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&B is the best of the best

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Plus, if you need a finisher and you are out of ammo, you can beat the critter to death with a S&B

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or drive tent stakes into the ground. A very versatile piece of gear! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years back I dropped an M40 which moved the base zero. I routinely ran a round robin to verify zero and confirm tracking, and the impact from that drop caused marked movement. May have been from the mass and weight of the rifle upon impact, but the scope was not cheap. Flip-side, last year my hunting rifle was knocked off a cooler in my Jeep, it flipped out the back, struck the rear carrier, then hit the ground hard. Thought I'd have a problem, but I posted a target and shot rounds to find it held zero. The later scope was a Schmidt and Bender. Maybe not as tough as some of the newer military scopes, but I was pleased it took the hard drop without any issues. Maybe not tough enough to drive tent stakes into hard ground, but it does appear to be a rough and tumble scope capable of handling hard knocks.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I often get amused at people that find every little thing wrong w/Schmidt and Bender. They are scope whores who are too cheap and too impatient to save a little to buy the best. They buy, sell and trade all of their lives losing untold hundreds of dollars looking for that ultimate scope. If I were a young man 20-30yrs. old...I would get a good starter scope to hunt w/ but I would put every spare cent I could towards the purchase of a S and B.

The most talked about negative is their weight. We've carried this weight thing so far that we now have 5.5lb rifles that are almost unshootable because they are so light. We see at least 1-2 posts a month on how do I shoot my light rifle. A few extra ounces that keeps a guy from hunting is just unthinkable to me. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 07/14/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard that US Optics,at trade shows, drives a 16 penny spike into a 2x4.Just like you would with a hammer.They have some kind of jig they mount it in, after each demo....
To check it out.
US Optics.
Now theres a heavy scope.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by powdr

The most talked about negative is their weight.
powdr

Before 2000.
It was the eye relief.
It was danged short.
In 2000 they introduced a Dangerous Game Scope with 3.75 of eye relief.The rear ocular got .08 bigger in diameter with that change.
Must be alot of Dangerous Game out there, as all the variables have it now.
Oddly enough the fixed power S&Bs still have the 3.15 eye relief.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
powdr,

I don�t understand where you are coming from on your post. Most folks don't think like you are suggesting. They go through life without giving it much thought.

When I started on my present project I wanted a rifle with a 26� barrel that weighs less than seven pounds with a scope. Since I wanted the best low light scope I could get with very high magnification I was limited to about 5.5 pounds without a scope. The best combination of high magnification and low weight came in the z5 Swarovski 5-25X52. I arbitrarily set a limit of eighteen ounces for the scope. This one is only 1/10th of an ounce over. I can live with that.

I put a brake on it and fire it with impunity. I accidently knocked it over from a leaning position on a hunting trip. There is a small ding in the bell, now. The next three shot group was about 1 �� at 300 yards and still sighted in.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ringman, I think that is the problem...they go thru life w/o much thought. powdr

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My neighbor is one of those cheap, non thinking, scope whores who has managed to hammer some big bucks, in spite of never owning an S&B, with lowly VXII's, and VX3's. 2 more 180's aren't even up there yet....

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by JGRaider; 07/14/14.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (1OntarioJim, 320090T, 6mmCreedmoor, AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 16 invisible), 1,039 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,137
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.