Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by FreeMe

The Bergman is a cool concept. I keep thinking it would be very practical, and probably an enjoyable ride.

Honestly, they'll spoil conventional motorcycles for you.

They're a hoot!

People don't know what to make of them. They see them and think "scooter",...but the 650 Burgman is an ergonomic, middleweight, long distance touring machine that handles like a sport bike.

My other bike is prettier, but the 650 Burgman is for "riding",...across country even, if you're so inclined.

[Linked Image]

GB1

GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
One could always get a Honda Shadow and have the best of both worlds - V-twin, classic look plus reliability.

[Linked Image]

Somehow, though, having a "Harrey Davisson" just seems wrong... wink

The Honda Shadow has one of the best V-Twin engines ever built. And it's a very nice bike. But it's not as pretty as a Harley (and let's face it, nothing is). But the Shadow is a very good bike.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How's that fairing working out for you, B ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
One could always get a Honda Shadow and have the best of both worlds - V-twin, classic look plus reliability.

[Linked Image]

Somehow, though, having a "Harrey Davisson" just seems wrong... wink

The Honda Shadow has one of the best V-Twin engines ever built. And it's a very nice bike. But it's not as pretty as a Harley (and let's face it, nothing is). But the Shadow is a very good bike.

I have a Shadow as well. Its everything you'd want in a civilized v-twin, but it has no soul

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KFWA; 07/24/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It pokes a hole in the wind and takes it off of much of my torso,..keeps me from having to fight against it so much.

The wind coming off the top of it is compressed, obviously, and catches me at about eye level, but I've never been too bothered by wind in my face.

All in all, it does what I wanted it to do.

IC B2

GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Some of us have rediscovered them,..although they've been brought up to speed, so to speak.

My current Mini Bike is a 650, weighs 600 lbs, has a 63" wheel base, is water cooled, fuel injected, has dual pot, triple disc brakes and an electronically controlled CVT.

Just twist and go,...all the way to 110 mph and doesn't waste any time getting there.

Cruises very comfortably at 90.

They have come a LONG way, haven't they!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bluesman
1963 Honda Super Hawk, 1964 BSA 441, 250cc JAWA, BMW R25, OSSA Super Pioneer,500cc Ducati, 350cc Bultaco, 350 cc Husquavarna, but the Super Hawk was retired with 204,000 miles in 1971.

Terry

my dad wouldnt let me have a super hawk at the time, thought i would kill myself onit, so i ended up with a dream. And two years in and out of the hospital due to getting hit by an illegal mexican.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Only truly Loved 1 of them...

A Honda Trail 70 like this one...

It was my key to freedom as a kid.

Put a Bazillion miles on it with a gun or fishing pole strapped the side....tore up the countryside dirt roads. Was also used to check my "trapline" consisting of a handful of odds n ends traps...not good for jumping Terraces, but never broke anything on it.

[Linked Image]
I had one of those, was a lot of fun, and they just run forever.

I have three of those honda trail bikes sitting in my yard for restoration if i ever do it, the earliest is a 1962 or 63, had the duel rear sprocket, no transfer lever.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Toddly
I sold this 1973 Honda 350 a few years back, wish I would have kept it!

[Linked Image]

one of the better ones ever made, I had the cl version with the upswept exhaust pipes. Sold it to get a house when i got married.
wanted another one ever since.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Toddly
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Mine was a "toilet seat" (trail) 90 I got used. Favorite 'cause it's been my only motorcycle. It was kinda fubar, it'd been overheated enough the head would warp and the engine seize if it'd get hot. So ... sit there for a half hour or so 'til it'd cool off.

I broke a few things. I flew it far too high once and it came down hard enough to crunch the rear shock. I rode that out without wrecking but I'm not sure how. Despite the automatic clutch, I missed a shift one time, it wound out to red-line, then caught. Busted some parts inside and I spent two years trying to fix it. Finally gave it away.

One time I managed to do a 30-something mph 360 degree spin without laying it down. I was toolin' along, saw a barb wire fence laying down in the grass, locked the brake, and it just spun around without going down. WTF? Didn't think that was possible. Good thing that straw-like dry grass is slick, if I'd had traction I might have gotten hurt.

Tom
I put water once in the crankcase because the oil was low. I was also an abusive teen on my first bike. A 69 honda 90 in Canary yellow.

[Linked Image]

that bike, but a little earlier, is sitting beside my house right now for restoration.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Hondo - as I'm sure you remember, the XT350 and the XT650 were introduced the same year. After spending three years on my XT550, I was ready for the upgrade - mostly for the disc brake, but also the better suspension. My biggest complaint about the 550 was always the front brake. When riding aggressively on the backroads, that front drum would heat up and fade.

Anyway - I test-road both the 650 and the 350, and left the shop with the 350. After all the tire-chewing and chain stretching of the 550, I guessed that the 650 would be even more expensive to feed (in my hands, anyway) and the added power - while extremely fun - was not practical for off-road, and not needed for a guy my size riding solo. I always wondered just how much difference it would have made. Aside from the obvious power difference, what do you remember about the differences between the two?

From what I remember the XT350 was quite a bit lighter and handled better but did not have as much suspension travel as the XT650. The 650 was very torky. Not much shifting required which was useful on the loose, steep grades.

I guess if the 350 had a bit more suspension I would have preferred it. As it was, I kinda liked the 650 better.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by salsola
My first and current ride. '73 CL350. Rebuilt the engine last winter and it runs great. Perfect backroad rambler:

[Linked Image]

that is the bike i had, loved the darn thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this has been a cool thread to read through! yall are more fun than I thought. I love seeing those older 70's era bikes in restored used condition. smile

78 Suzuki JR 50 (my introduction, at 5 YO)
80 XR250
83 IT 250 Yamaha (loved this one)

then

83 Virago 500 (slow, but good intro to street bikes)
82 Suzuki GS 750E
80 Suz GS 550L
84 Kawi voyager 1300 (I was 21 at the time, but it had tons of storage and a damned radio!)
91 Suz Katana 750
95 Honda VFR 750
95 Magna 750
97 Honda Valkyrie 1500 (piled this one up in an Arkansas corner)
05 BMW R1200c (loved the looks, but hated the ride)

presently bikeless. too damned responsible with two kids, and perpetual fear of the minivan operator updating her fakebook status while turning left in front of me!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
oh... the one I loved, for certain was that VFR 750. I swear I felt like I could take that thing anywhere, and put the tires wherever I wanted to. Awesome control and deliverable power.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Billy Goat,

I was mostly bikeless when I was raising my three, as well. Good on ya as I hope MY son, with three kidlets at home stays off of these damned things too! You are right about the distracted car operator being the one who is most likely to hurt us. Get back on when the kids are grown, but by then I will probably have sold my hot rod and finally be on a Dyna or somesuch.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
I've got about the least use for a foot-forward cruiser, but I love the sound and feel of a harley.
That's so funny, that's exactly how I feel about Harley's. They vibrate like crazy, they're not nearly as reliable as a Japanese bike, they handle like crap, stop like crap... But they're so damn cool...and yeah, the what a great racket they make.

There's a great compromise bike from Harley, the XR1200

[Linked Image]

Pegs are underneath you, it has ground clearance, decent suspension, good brakes, and although a little under-powered, it has great torque. I think this would be a great go anywhere do anything bike. It just looks so fun.

That's my current bike exactly!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As for Hondas . . . when I was in High School, this was the pecking order, from least to greatest . . .

[Linked Image]

150cc Dream (This was big time when I was in the7th grade, back when Jr. High and high school was in the same bldg. The "rich kids" had these)

[Linked Image]
The next step up (for regular guys) was the 350 gallery.

The CB750 was the ultimate machine, but only for the top class "tough guys"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
But Honda had a strong competitor . . . the Kawasaki 750. This bike was more rare in the high school parking lot, but the pretty girls gravitated to the riders of this up and coming machine.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by colodog
I've got about the least use for a foot-forward cruiser, but I love the sound and feel of a harley.
That's so funny, that's exactly how I feel about Harley's. They vibrate like crazy, they're not nearly as reliable as a Japanese bike, they handle like crap, stop like crap... But they're so damn cool...and yeah, the what a great racket they make.

[Linked Image]

Pegs are underneath you, it has ground clearance, decent suspension, good brakes, and although a little under-powered, it has great torque. I think this would be a great go anywhere do anything bike. It just looks so fun.

Basically a Sportster with a Stortz kit! Don't think they make it anymore - I agree, a really neat bike!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colodog

[Linked Image]

You suck!

Seriously, I love that MC. Best factory ride out there, IMO.

I could not, and can not afford one of those, but slowly my bike is becoming more and more like it. AWESOME!

Now, go out and RACE that thing like it was bred to do!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Honda CBX and the sound of the 6 cyl was like a Ferrari.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.