Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool video and shot!

Reminds me of the time I sold a WWll Luger to a custom gunsmith who lived and worked somewhere in the foothills hear Auburn California.
He had made a name for himself by rebuilding Lugers into 45ACP, a 'baby' luger in 380, and other interesting feats of pistolsmithing.

Once he had purchased mine from me, he showed me a very rare artillery issue Luger with a 12 inch (IIRC) bbl and sight's graduated out to 1,000 meters. Optional buttstock, too.

I was amazed at this piece of workmanship but he said it was an impossible idea.

Thanks for putting up that video. Pretty fun stuff.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw it, and I know he's a great shot, but I still don't know if I believe it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Might call that a lucky shot but you have to be pretty darn good to get close enough to get lucky.....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's awesome. Looks like bullet frag popped it, but still that's some mad skill.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
That's awesome. Looks like bullet frag popped it, but still that's some mad skill.

Yeah. Balloon shots are kinda deceiving because you're not actually hitting the balloon, it's just proof that you hit the steel. But I'm with you, it really doesn't take away from the fact that he made a heck of a shot.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
HUGE Bullschidt flag waving.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Not at all. If you put as many rounds down range as he does, it wouldn't be easy, but it would certainly be probable that he'd be able to do it. Some people point to the pistol's elevation as being too low. Those people don't know squat.

When the Adobe Walls shot was recreated, it was a mile, and the elevation of the Sharps Big Fifty, was no more than 15 degrees for a bullet that started out at about 1100 fps.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't doubt that he did it��.I'm skeptical that he did it on the 2nd shot however��.I have 1000 yards�..I'll very shortly have full sized metal silhouette targets and I'll buy balloons��if any of you are driving on I-80 a little west of Laramie and want to give it a try, I'll set it up for you!! :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell I couldn't even see the target. I'm far sighted but I doubt I could have seen the target in my 20's when my eye sight was about 20/15. If he did it that was some shot.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TAK thinks Miculek is FOS.

This place is awesome.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Numbers look about right smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He might have (probably) had a few practice shots you don't see on the video to get the drop or holdover in his head. He did have a couple of things going for him - that road leads right to the target so he had a guide for horizontal alignment. Also, those ringers were just under the berm so he had berm/skyline giving him a straight horizontal line for his vertical reference. So even if he couldn't see the target itself, which is just speculating, maybe he could, he still had a "post and crosshair" of sorts showing him right where the target was.

Which doesn't take away from his skill one bit at holding that steady at 1000 yards, especially with that reflex sight. But you could see even he was surprised when he hit it on the second shot.

Long range shooting with a handgun uses the same technique as rifle shooting - drop is pretty much standard from shot to shot, windage is what you have to judge. I can usually hit a 12x12" ringer 2 or 3 out of 5 times at 200 yards with open sights from offhand and do it over and over - once I get the sight picture. You can do it with a 1911 .45 ACP, 6" .357 (easiest), 5 1/2" .45 Colt even a 4" S&W .22, any handgun and load that can hold 6 or 8 MOA at 200. You need that accuracy to give you a little breathing room for sighting error.

Just find where to put the front sight in reference to the rear sight for a 6 o'clock hold so you can see the target, find holdoff for windage - usually only about 1/4 target width or less at 200 - then it's sight picture, sight alignment, breathe, aim, squeeze, just like any other shot.

With a plain black front sight the hardest part is maintaining the same sight alignment each shot. A little more consistent way is by trial and error to find some reference point above the target like a rock or patch of grass or something and hold dead on that each time with a standard sight alignment, but a properly situated reference point is not always available.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jerry Miculek is a down home guy who doesn�t need the money, doesn�t care about fame, and gets to shoot all day on somebody else�s nickel. If he says he did it, he did it. He was probably born with a gun in his hand, and his entire family has decades (maybe hundreds of years) of trigger time, access to good ranges, and a supply of ammo that lets them try the zany stuff.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In the vid, I heard him say that he used the bottom edge of the Vortex Razor red dot sight as the reference for aiming to get the about 75 to 80 yards of holdover.

If the dot is about >�" from the bottom of that sight's window and Jerry's eye to sight distance is about >26", then that does correspond to about +60 yards of holdover that he needed smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't normally comment when you make some stupid comment, but if you don't believe Jerry made that shot you're even dumber than you act.

Have you ever seen him shoot? The guy is unbelievable. Probably won't ever be another revolver shooter (hell, handgun shooter even) that can match his accomplishments.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You ought to be used to that, people have been waving it at you for quite some time

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You tell em TAK!

Bill Rogers!
Jeff Cooper!
Shooting MoFos in the face!
Truck with no radio!
My buddy who shoots 3Gun!
In country!
CONTACT FRONT!!!!!!!!!!

I've got your six TAK, these guys obviously forgot how awesome you are for a minute. I think I covered your usual buzz words.

Don't worry, you're moving-I'm covering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure it took him more than two shots, but I don't think he's trying to lie with the video. It's just that if he had a 30 minute video of missing for two seconds of hitting, nobody would bother to watch it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have zero doubt hat Jerry made the shot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,773
Posts18,495,725
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.