Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Cool video and shot!

Reminds me of the time I sold a WWll Luger to a custom gunsmith who lived and worked somewhere in the foothills hear Auburn California.
He had made a name for himself by rebuilding Lugers into 45ACP, a 'baby' luger in 380, and other interesting feats of pistolsmithing.

Once he had purchased mine from me, he showed me a very rare artillery issue Luger with a 12 inch (IIRC) bbl and sight's graduated out to 1,000 meters. Optional buttstock, too.

I was amazed at this piece of workmanship but he said it was an impossible idea.

Thanks for putting up that video. Pretty fun stuff.
John Martz is the gunsmith you're speaking of; he was a magician. Met him several times at gun shows. Once saw a 3 gun set of Lugers he made. Baby, Navy, and Carbine; all in .38 Super. Which means he had to extend the frame, toggle, and magazine on each one. Absolutely awesome!!! And all 3 guns look like they were born that way.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
HUGE Bullschidt flag waving.
Apparently you don't know who that man is. He doesn't bullchit!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't recall ever shooting at anything over about 250 yards with a handgun, but what I do know is both 9mm and .38 Super are fantastic long range rounds. Light recoil yet flat trajectory.

The thing is, if all you do is study the mechanics of the gun and the cartridge, you'd conclude that it's just not possible. At my old range I shot at 3.25" clay pigeons at 150 yards and hit nearly half the time even though technically the gun isn't accurate enough to hit at that distance.

My point being, what you work out on paper, and what happens in the real world can be two different things.

I'm sure it took a lot of practice to be able to make the shot. You don't pull that one off on a whim.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Cool video and shot!

Reminds me of the time I sold a WWll Luger to a custom gunsmith who lived and worked somewhere in the foothills hear Auburn California.
He had made a name for himself by rebuilding Lugers into 45ACP, a 'baby' luger in 380, and other interesting feats of pistolsmithing.

Once he had purchased mine from me, he showed me a very rare artillery issue Luger with a 12 inch (IIRC) bbl and sight's graduated out to 1,000 meters. Optional buttstock, too.

I was amazed at this piece of workmanship but he said it was an impossible idea.

Thanks for putting up that video. Pretty fun stuff.
John Martz is the gunsmith you're speaking of; he was a magician. Met him several times at gun shows. Once saw a 3 gun set of Lugers he made. Baby, Navy, and Carbine; all in .38 Super. Which means he had to extend the frame, toggle, and magazine on each one. Absolutely awesome!!! And all 3 guns look like they were born that way.

You nailed it!

I had forgotten his name until you typed and posted it. Many of his guns were on the cover of "GUNS" Magazine, and fewer times Guns and Ammo. Nice guy, happy to show me and let me handle his amazing work.

I shall never forget his comment, which was:

"The reason you yanks won WWll (I forget what his nation of origin was, maybe Germany? Damned disease and pills etc) was that while Berlin was painstakingly machining these complex and varied versions of Lugers and such, your factories were churning out millions of model 1911 45's!"

And in a larger scale, with US factories running 24/7 building lots of whatevers, the German stuff, while excellent, was slower to manufacture in great numbers from what I have read and seen. His take, anyway, and a wonderful evening spent with him as a budding gun nut in his 20's.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
...the German stuff, while excellent, was slower to manufacture in great numbers from what I have read and seen.
For the things that really matter, that's true, in small arms, not necessarily true. ME-109 engines were very complex and difficult to manufacture. As were most German tanks. Complexity cost them manufacturing time and reliability in the field. Our M4 Shermans were VASTLY out-classed by German tanks, but our tanks were RELIABLE and theirs weren't.

The 1911 was much easier to manufacture than the P08 Luger, but about the same as the P38, which is why they adopted the P38. But the 1911 still involves some rather complex machining and was one of the more costly things we made. The US even developed a stamped steel version of the 1911 but the war had turned by the time it was developed so it wasn't needed.

The Garand was FAR more complex and expensive to make than the K98, and even the M1 Carbine was more complex and expensive to make. The Thompson was WAY more expensive to make than the MP-40 which is why we ripped off the Brit's idea (STEN) and came up with the M3 Grease Gun.

The MG 34 is a machinists nightmare, that was one expensive machinegun to manufacture. But it was light and portable and offered real advantages over our 1919 model Browning, even though the Browning was FAR more reliable and cheaper to manufacture. But then the Germans made the MG-42 and we were just plain out-classed in both cost and utility (but the Browning is still more reliable).

Had the Germans came up with the MP-44 earlier there certainly would have been many more dead Allied troops, but it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the war.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Still waiting on TAK to explain why he feels Jerry Miculek is FOS.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Cause it was Rob Leatham you ignorant azzwipe.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As always, your best defense is to shut right the fugg up.

GREEN BERET!

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Travis

WRONG!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Travis

Are you saying Leatham was the cameraman or the driver on the buggy or......? Because he danged sure wasn't shooting in that video.

You're taking clueless to a whole new level.

CONTACT FRONT!!!!!

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
HUGE Bullschidt flag waving.

Laughin' my ass off...

Travis

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Travis

I've shot on the same range with both. I'm pretty sure the guy with the thick cajun accent and the finest revlover shooter to ever live is Jerry.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jds44

Travis

I've shot on the same range with both. I'm pretty sure the guy with the thick cajun accent and the finest revlover shooter to ever live is Jerry.

Gee, ya think? Flave's ignorant azz asked, "Who's Rob Leatham?" a month or so ago, in the pistol forum. Seeing as how he's that ignorant, I figured he couldn't tell the difference.

That's like posting in a NASCAR forum, "Who's Dale Earnhardt?"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As always, your best defense is to shut right the fugg up.

GREEN BERET!

Travis

Wait, he's back to being a Green Beret again? Since when?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...well he didn't actually hit the balloon. If it had been just on a stick out there it would have never popped..that said just to hit that piece of steel STANDING UNSUPPORTED with a 9mm revolver is a feat in itself. I have seen a lot of his videos and the man is astounding.

Mac and I have been shooting out to 800 yards this week but we do it from the supported backrest position. Don't think I have shot a handgun much over two hundred standing but may have to try...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gitem_12

That would be former Green Beret, you lardazz. I'm retired.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I can't kwep your multiple personas straight, you have to many.

So when you're TAK you're a Green Beret, but when you're Johnny Loco you're an air Combat Controller.
When you log on as Uriah, you have a man crush on Flave, and as Sherp you're just an Idiot, that sound about right?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

So when you're TAK you're a Green Beret, but when you're Johnny Loco you're an air Combat Controller.
When you log on as Uriah, you have a man crush on Flave, and as Sherp you're just an Idiot, that sound about right?

You vyin' with Rauncho for the Dumbschidt of the Year trophy? I spend WAY too much time on here under my own handle, and not once have I ever logged on, or even THOUGHT about logging on, under another one. Now trot to the store for some Slimfast, and be quick about it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You vyin' with Rauncho for the Dumbschidt of the Year trophy? I spend WAY too much time on here under my own handle, and not once have I ever logged on, or even THOUGHT about logging on, under another one. Now trot to the store for some Slimfast, and be quick about it.

Your first comment on this thread assured that you won that Trophy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Gee, ya think? Flave's ignorant azz asked, "Who's Rob Leatham?" a month or so ago, in the pistol forum. Seeing as how he's that ignorant, I figured he couldn't tell the difference.

That's like posting in a NASCAR forum, "Who's Dale Earnhardt?"

Holy fuggin' born-CHUMP.

Laughin'...

Tell us more about Miculek being FOS. Then tell us about your days in the "Special" Forces.

Travis

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 14,634 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,176
Posts18,543,091
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.