Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fellas and Ladies I needed some vacation bad, and finally took some last week. My boys and I went to some family land and had a bunch of fun. Shot bows, shot rifles, checked game cameras etc.

We also caught some big old channel cats and I felt like a beginner trying to clean them. I've filleted tons of fish, but just felt like I was doing it wrong. These were about 9-13 pounds, not the biggest in the world, but big for me.

The first one I filleted like I would anyother fish and it just didn't work well. The rib bones were too much for my electric knife. Plus, the guts were just in the way. I gutted the rest like you would a deer, and then filleted them. This worked all right, but it seems there should be a better way.

This is the first one, and you can see how copious the amount of "innards" were.

[Linked Image]

Just figure you folks might know of a better way. Here's some the little blog post I did with more pictures and a little write up if you are so inclined.http://wp.me/p3bCKM-p2

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
They're fat. I hope you had a sharp fillet knife to slice off a thin wide swath of silver from the skin side of the fillet after you had it off.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/28/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Skin 'em and cut them into steaks. Wild catfish are a lot better when cooked with the bone in.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
had the same dilemma not long ago. figured out to fillet them like i do a nice pike. fugg those bones,start behind the ribcage and fillet all the way to the tail.

tired of the 29 trick moves it takes so i only keep ones big enough to have a decent amount of meat to make it worthwhile to dick with them.

if anyone has a way they do it that works well let me know. i am used to walleyes and bluegills and crappies where you do it the normal way.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 08/28/14.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ones that size we skin, fillet, and then cut the fillets into nuggets about the size of your thumb.

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this:

[Linked Image]

then this:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sent Curdog4570 a link to this thread, I think catch catfish and argue with Isaac is about all he does these days...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Skin then filet is all I've ever done.. skinning is 4 cuts and strip maybe 3-4 times sometimes 2-3... and its done,

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think catch catfish and argue with Isaac is about all he does these days...

Is that the reason that they are both too busy to get on here and talk to the rest of us? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Skin 'em and cut them into steaks. Wild catfish are a lot better when cooked with the bone in.

AMEN!!!!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
My boys and I went to some family land and had a bunch of fun. Shot bows, shot rifles, checked game cameras etc.

First off, that's the important part right there. Them boys will remember this for the rest of their lives - and that memory won't be about dad being less than smooth skinning cat fish.

On big ones like that, I cut down behind the head and then thru the skin only down the top center, from the head cut to as far back as you want to fillet. Do not cut thru the skin at the tail, you'll eventually flip the fillet over skin side down and separate meat from skin.
Then fillet down the spine and over the ribs just like a big scaled fish. Cut as far down on the belly as you want to save.
Do that from head to tail, then flip over as mentioned above.

For eating, I like the 2-3 pounders and fillet them with an electric knife. Cut down behind the head and then shave the spine back to the tail, flip and skin.

Did I mention that those are some big cats???? Bet the boys got a charge out of hooking those dozers.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton

Is that the reason that they are both too busy to get on here and talk to the rest of us? miles

Hope so, I really enjoy it when they're around and talk "down to my level"..

wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have fileted a lot of fish including cats, bass, perch, crappie, trout, & salt water fish. I use the electric knife on all including cats. Getting the cats cold seems to help the skinning process some. I try & cut the skin off cats, but unlike most other fish doesn't work well even using skinning pliers. I have seen the skinning device pictured, but had no idea they worked. Will have to try & locate one on line.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I use a good non electric knife. Start at the spine and fillet "around" the rib cage. Leave the very edge at the tail and you can flip the fillet over and fillet the skin off.

Do it this way and you will never see the guts. It's a lot easier and less messy. You can always cut the large fillets in chunks.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tbear
I have seen the skinning device pictured, but had no idea they worked. Will have to try & locate one on line.

I've used them on bass, crappie, cats, even alligator gar.

Tuffer the fish, harder the grip needed, but they work.

I wish mine had a cast frame so I could really grip the livin crap out of it, but I haven't broke it yet....

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
this
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Lakes full of shad like L. Livingston have fat blues and channels where we trim a couple inch wide 1/16-1/8 inch thick layer of fat off the skin side of the fillet. The blues are hard to eat if that isn't done as were those big really fat blues off the lake at LaGrange years ago. The fat can lay on the side under the silver after its skinned and you cant see it or hardly eat it at times, especially on blues.

We never worried about doing that off clean lakes like Buchanan or Rayburn and cut in steaks through the spine made some great eating.

The high fin blues on Rayburn can be unreal delicious.

Almost all big yellow cats need extensive fat trimming.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Im not very experienced with filleting any kind of catfish. My first big gafftop I cut along the spine behind the head, as usual and started extending down the side and towards the tail. I did cut around the ribs so wouldn't have to mess with the abdominal contents. Flipped the fillet and separated the skin from the meat. Flip fish repeat. I treat it like any other fish, except the ribs seem to go further back and more sloping angle.

A good knife works wonders, I have a 7" W�sthof filleting knife my wife got me a couple of years ago for father's day.

Last edited by Sponxx; 08/28/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we clean lots of catfish.last trip i had 45lb of fillets. i have a skinning board with a 3in spike sticking straight up on one end. i take a fish and a hammer ,lay the fishes head on top of the spike and pound it straight down on the spike with the fish flat on its belly. take a knife and cut straight down behind both gills just thru the skin.then cut a v from the back of the fin on his back and cut it where it joins the cuts behins the giles. with the fish held tight on the board and the board screwed to a table you can easily skin both sides with a good set of skinning pliers(walmart sells them for 5.00 ). once skinned they are very easy to fillet.lay the fish on its side,start forward above the ribcage ,trim to the back of it then finish the cut flat to the tail. skinning board save lots of time and its much easier your hands with slick catfish. i don't like a electric knife for any tpye of fish with a heavy ribcage.last trip i cleaned 2 99quart cooler full of catfish in about an hour by myself using this method. 45lbs of fillets is alot of good eating.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just like we do it, nail their heads to a railroad tie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (257robertsimp, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.