Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My opinion on "energy".

Kinetic energy as a measure of lethality, of and by itself, is useless.

To say that an arbitrary figure is needed to kill, without regard to placement, speed, or bullet type simply is not true.

There's more to it than just ft-lbs. The right bullet, moving along within its operating parameters and in the right place will work, regardless the mathematical calculation which incidentally favors speed.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This was 285 yds. One shot with the 105gr VLD.

[Linked Image]

This was 350yds with the same bullet/ same rifle.

[Linked Image]

This was 485yds with the same bullet/ same rifle.

[Linked Image]

This was 600yds with same bullet/ similar rifle.

[Linked Image]

this was 500yds with same bullet.

[Linked Image]

This is 400yds with same bullet.

[Linked Image]

Shot placement was great with all but then again that is what the .243 Win brings to the table. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by BBerg
Formidilosus, energy is what is needed, in the first place, to get the work of penetrating and destroying tissue done.

It comes from velocity (and mass) so saying that energy/velocity is required is, basically, quite correct, in my opinion.

The thing is that being necessary, it is not enough, so yes, you need a bullet of the proper construction offering a good balance of expansion and penetration.

And yes, you need to place it properly. In my opinion, as all bullets carry some energy/velocity, and all of them are capable of some kind of expansion and penetration, bullet placement is most important, there being no substitute for a well placed shot.

Saludos,

Alvaro

Ok. Please explain how 900 "ft-lbs energy" destroys tissue. And does a solid destroy the same tissue that a varmint bullet does if they both have the same energy?

Formidilosus,

I think that the explanation is in my previous post, already... "energy, being necessary is not enough... you need a bullet of the proper construction... there being no substitute for a well placed shot..."

While energy in itself will not do it, you will need energy to do it.

You need energy in the form of some mass -bullet, arrow, etc.- driven at some velocity... or please explain to me how do you expect tissue to be destroyed without using/spending any energy.

You think you deer will die by showing him a picture of a loded cartridge? smile

Alvaro

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Momentum is what your talking about, Mass x Velocity. What ever pokes its way thru and makes a hole on both sides. Personally I am not a big hydrostatic shock believer... whistle

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I would not consider a shot over 300 yards in the rolling hills of middle Tennessee without a good range finder and very calm winds. That goes for any caliber rifle. The guns are capable but variables can be the trouble maker. I no longer want to try and trail a wounded deer thru thickets and creeks.
I should add that I am hunting for the years supply of venison and not trophies.
For smaller fields and woods hunting I take the 243 but if longer shots are expected its the 270 Win that goes with me.

IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 1234, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,803
Posts18,477,480
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.