Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
He sounds a little like Waylon in that first one. Too bad he's destine to go the way of Jamey Johnson. he's too Country to be main stream.

BTW, if you stick around for all the songs on that first link, that guitar picker is impressive.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He needs to enunciate more. Good potential.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When did country go hippy? Thought they were the 'conservatives" music?

Anyway, the dude sounds like most country music to me....a cat screeching through its nostrils while being skinned...(while the guitars play rockabilly/Berry licks from the Fifties).

Country long ago tried to get 'hip' by copying Southern Rock (while adding violins and steel guitars)...something they're very poor at. Doesn't seem to stop the masses, though...

Now for full disclosure...I have taken somewhat of a liking recently to the ZBB. I'll deny everything if that gets out.... wink grin

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MojoHand
When did country go hippy? Thought they were the 'conservatives" music?

Country was hippy long before our time. Waylon, Willie and the boys.....

1975 classic.

Awesome live version from Travis Tritt.

'Hippies' wearing cowboy hats have always been my heroes....grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As mentioned above, Jamie Johnson is the real deal. Amazing voice and emotion in his songs. Lead Me Home by him will be played at my funeral.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is true, Sam. But, seriously, I've often wondered how that came about because the early days they were all clean cut (even Willie!).

Was it 'outlaw' country and who was its perceived audience. From what I remember listening to old farts laugh. during the 50's and 60's long hair pretty much painted you as a hippie and therefore, probably anti-American. Considering country always seemed to have the rep as the music of the 'heartland' as opposed to those filthy rockers(!) smile , I wonder how they (the hippie country guys) were perceived during that time by country's core constituency?

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by travelingman1
As mentioned above, Jamie Johnson is the real deal. Amazing voice and emotion in his songs. Lead Me Home by him will be played at my funeral.

That just gave me an idea for a thread!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He sounds half way between Aaron Tippin and Waylon Jennings.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mojo, I have absolutely no idea of the transition but imagine it was the typical 'generational loosening up' type of deal.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good stuff Sam !

Long hair doesn't make a hippie.

Stugills words are a new twist -" been spending all my money on weed and pills trying to write a song that will pay the bills " -you just don't hear music like that anymore -it's all bubble gum country on the radio these days.
I like the old boys sound -hey --I don't always have to know every word -gives me a chance to throw my own in there if I been boozen smoking or popping pills.

Last edited by ol_mike; 10/06/14.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Stugills words are a new twist -" been spending all my money on weed and pills trying to write a song that will pay the bills " -you just don't hear music like that anymore -it's all bubble gum country on the radio these days.

At the risk of losing all street cred I will admit to listening to this on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3nM1-m19bE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Good sound but needs to clear up the vocals."

What Sam said.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sam ,
Well your street cred is still intact -since those chicks are hot , -now you're trying to learn their dance steps and wearing tight pants are you ? laf..

Last edited by ol_mike; 10/06/14.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike, you bring up an important point.

It is okay for chicks to wear 'stylish' tight jeans but please, if you want to remain a dude, don't wear chick pants with chit/patterns all over the ass pockets.

And then try to wear a queer shaped cowboy hat and be 'country'.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by ol_mike

At the risk of losing all street cred I will admit to listening to this on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3nM1-m19bE

Dang they got great vocals Sam! Those gals can harmonize!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by travelingman1

"I Remember You" will be played at mine...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think there has been "Outlaw Country" since the beginning. It just took a few of them rebelling against the over produced "Nashville" sound sometime during the early 70's I think.

The Outlaw name came about as I recall due to the artists refusing to follow the rules that the big producers and record execs. had set for them.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here ya go. Straight off Wikipedia so it has to be 100% correct.

From Wikipedia:

"Outlaw country is a subgenre of country music, most popular during the late 1960s and the 1970s (and even into the 1980s in some cases), sometimes referred to as the outlaw movement or simply outlaw music.[1][2] The focus of the movement has been on "outlaws", such as Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, David Allan Coe and his Eli Radish Band, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Leon Russell[citation needed], Hank Williams Jr., Townes Van Zandt, Billy Joe Shaver, Steve Earle, and Gary Stewart. The reason for the movement has been attributed to a reaction to the Nashville sound, developed by record producers like Chet Atkins who softened the raw honky tonk sound that was predominant in the music of performers like Jimmie Rodgers, and his successors such as Hank Williams, George Jones and Lefty Frizzell.[clarification needed] According to Aaron Fox, "the fundamental opposition between law-and-order authoritarianism and the image of 'outlaw' authenticity... has structured country's discourse of masculinity since the days of Jimmie Rodgers.""

twofish

twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MojoHand

Country long ago tried to get 'hip' by copying Southern Rock (while adding violins and steel guitars)...something they're very poor at. Doesn't seem to stop the masses, though...

Now for full disclosure...I have taken somewhat of a liking recently to the ZBB. I'll deny everything if that gets out.... wink grin

Pretty sure that Country and Western had Fiddles and Pedal Steel "Hawaiian" guitars long before there was ever a "Southern Rock" genre.

ZBB?...really? Don't worry your guilty pleasure is safe with me.

twofish

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mudstud
Sirius/XM satellite radio is the only way to go, if you like real country music. Channel 59, in particular..
+1

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,764 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,308
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.