Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Well, I am allergic to something. Hope it's not gluten. I love gluten.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha! And I was under the impression that gluten was a German dish. Live and learn.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scientists have a long way to go regarding nutrition and the food we eat. As was said, so many people are drowning themselves in processed foods. Me included. Celiacs is a huge issue, same with Ulcerative Colitis, Crohns, and many others. A lot of mental health issues stem from the gut. Some doctors are thinking much of our health issues start with leaky gut syndrome. And are lobbying for more research on the subject.

My opinion, I think theyre on the right path. They solve the riddles in the gut, most health issues are gone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by sse
Why are so many self-restricting intake of gluten? I've heard of people who get sick from it, but it seems all the rave to seek gluten-free foods and I'm not clear what the purpose is. Also, being protein, if a vegetarian restricts gluten, seems they would need to have another source...?

In a related issue, I know people who are constantly taking "supplements". Seems it's never on a doctor's advice and I've asked them why, but nothing they say makes any sense.

Am I gonna die if I don't stop eating plain, old normal food...?

Simple.

They're idiots.

Travis

Maybe...but if I eat too much pasta as the main dish for a couple days in a row, my joints let me know it. The less gluten I consume, the less my joints bother me...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I take supplements.
Twenty years ago I came down with a bad prostate problem. I went to the best and the brightest docs in the State of Georgia. They had nothing for me.
I did a little research, and learned that saw palmetto might help. I went to the health food store and bought some, and got immediate 50 percent relief!

Why didn't the docs send me for saw palmetto? Because they are sold out to the big pharmaceutical companies. If Big Pharma can't make a scrip for it, and make big bucks, docs won't tell you about it.
The docs really aren't that worried about your health, they are concerned about making money.

Five years ago, started having problems with arthritis. Didn't even bother going to a doc, did a little research, now I take gelatine, fish oil, and glucosamine, chondroitin and msm for my arthritis. Get 80 percent relief of symptoms. This stuff is cheap and no side effects.

Make fun of supplements if you want, and put all your trust in your MD if you want. It is your life.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Among other things,serrapaptase can work real well for arthritis. Not sure how safe it is, but my neighbors wife over at the old house used that and the swelling in her knuckles went away. Took almost a year, and she was tanning too, not sure if that helped but it made me a believer in serrapaptase for inflammation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pahick
Among other things,serrapaptase can work real well for arthritis.

When mine stars acting up, I take CoQ-10 & krill oil for a couple days & I'm good to go. I don't take it all the time, only when I get flare ups...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

but if she eats wheat or gluten products she gets eczema on the bottom of her foot.

if she doesn't eat it, her feet are fine

This would be an example of a true (albeit relatively minor) allergic reaction to gluten.

This would be an example of somebody that shouldn't eat gluten, or at least do their best not to eat gluten.

90% of the gluten craze are just idiots. They wouldn't know an allergy from a hemorrhoid.

In two years it will be nothing but a by-gone fad.

Travis

This trendy self diagnosed first world affliction is rampant around these parts.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I add gluten when I make whole wheat bread. It improves the texture.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
love me some baked gluten

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Unfortunately I have gluten intolerance. I had serious stomach issues for a long time. Went off gluten to try it as a possible cause and am 100% better. After being gluten free for a year I have none of the problems I used to (basically similar issues as IBS). After doing a good amount of research, if you are of Irish or northern european descent you are much more likely to have an issue with it. It is thought by many that since wheat was introduced much later in Ireland and northern europe due to not being a climate conducive to growing wheat at they do not have a genetic compatability. Traditional true oatmeal does not have gluten in t which most people do not know. Also, if you are having leaky gut syndrome stay away from ibuprofen and other NSAIDS as they are believed to be causally related.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Unfortunately I have gluten intolerance.

Unfortunate indeed...

The "fad" gluten free crowd has driven an incredible gluten-free industry, so maybe you can benefit from that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by sse
Unfortunately I have gluten intolerance.

Unfortunate indeed...

The "fad" gluten free crowd has driven an incredible gluten-free industry, so maybe you can benefit from that.

I'm pretty sure it affects some more than others...just because I'm not sensitive to poison oak doesn't mean it's not an issue for others... wink I still grub down pasta dishes on occasion, but the following day my joints will start acting up & if I continue eating large amounts of it, it'll damn near cripple me...certain foods give some people heartburn.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sse

I hope we ALL can benefit from it. Not necessarily gluten free, but the acknowledgment from the food industry that an ever increasing number of people cannot tolerate the foods they make. Which hopefully opens the eyes of scientists to take an even bigger role in studying the mystery of the digestive system.

No one is immune from these issues. People are being attacked by their own bodies. Leaky gut root cause is really unknown. They have ideas, but thats all it is. Each of us is effected differently. Leaky gut causes many issues...

Celiac disease
Multiple Sclerosis
Autism
Fibromyalgia
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Eczema
Dermatitis
Ulcerative Colitis
Candidiasis
Chronic hepatitis
Asthma
Chemotherapy
Cystic Fibrosis
Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
Accelerated Aging
Endotoxemia
Colon cancer
Crohn's disease
Food allergies
Giardia
Arthritis
Pancreatic dysfunction
Hives
Acne
AIDS
Alcoholism
Anyklosing spondylitis
Inflammatory bowel disease
Liver dysfunction
Malnutrition
Psoriasis
Schizophrenia
Alcoholism

and much more. Gluten is but one ingredient in food products that can cause a whole rash of disease in us. These "fads" are hopefully a step in the right direction. Opening the public eye to the fact that food sold today can be killing you slowly, and you dont even know it. And worse, while a doctor may be treating you for a disease, he/she may never get to the root cause because science hasnt advanced enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

but if she eats wheat or gluten products she gets eczema on the bottom of her foot.

if she doesn't eat it, her feet are fine

This would be an example of a true (albeit relatively minor) allergic reaction to gluten.

The problem with allergies (autoimmune diseases) is that, unless you treat them or avoid the triggers, they get worse. Today, it may only give his wife eczema. a year from now, it may start attacking her kidneys or any other bodily organ.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fixitquick79
After doing a good amount of research, if you are of Irish or northern european descent you are much more likely to have an issue with it. It is thought by many that since wheat was introduced much later in Ireland and northern europe due to not being a climate conducive to growing wheat at they do not have a genetic compatability. Traditional true oatmeal does not have gluten in t which most people do not know. Also, if you are having leaky gut syndrome stay away from ibuprofen and other NSAIDS as they are believed to be causally related.

Also, I've heard theories that our "engineered" wheat is a problem and also glyphosate can cause it. As with other things, there's probably not one cause or, for that matter, one condition.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Research the history on how they figured out that wheat in a diet was an issue. It pre-dates engineered wheat I'm guessing. IIRC it was WWI era.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse
Why are so many self-restricting intake of gluten? I've heard of people who get sick from it, but it seems all the rave to seek gluten-free foods and I'm not clear what the purpose is.

From where Ive been sitting the purpose seems to be attention seeking. It has become all the rage and the latest "in" thing to be 'allergic' to glutens, particularly in women over 40 drama queen types.
Don't know why no one was allergic to glutens ten years ago....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

Who says they werent?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by ingwe

Who says they werent?

Never heard of it then. Never saw any ill effects from it then. Never heard any complaints of allergies to the unknown.
Mighta been living in a bubble.....

At any rate, every case of gluten allergy Ive heard complaints of since then was self-diagnosed.

Another red flag.

I also can't help but notice those who consider themselves allergic and hence go gluten free seem to all decline, at least to outward appearances health-wise.

Call me a 'doubting Thomas'...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,235
Posts18,485,710
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.