-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Having lived in the mid west for many years, I had never hunted deer. My job transferred me to the state of Utah. Upon moving to Utah, a co-worker convinced me to try mule deer hunting so I applied for a tag (which was kind of strange that not everyone could go hunting) and got one. Since I didn't have a rifle, I went to a large retail outdoor store, and asking the opinion of the person behind the counter, I purchased a Remington 700 SPS 7mm Magnum. The rifle sat for many months until I was told by the same co-worker that I needed to put a scope on the rifle. Asking the opinion of another person behind a retail store counter, I purchased a Burris Fullfield II 4.5 x 14 scope. I went to a different retail store and asked what ammunition I should use for hunting mule deer. The person behind this counter suggested Federal Premium 160 gr Nosler Accubond. After going to a range, I sighted the rifle the best I could and after going hunting, hiking up and down mountains for three days and hardly seeing a deer, the season was over. My question (and sorry this is taking so long) is what kind of set up as far as rifle, scope and ammo do I have? For all I know, it could the greatest combination or it could be the worst. I really don't have any idea. Any help would be great. Thank you.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There have certainly been a whole bunch of deer killed with a rig like yours. I've done it myself.
However, over the years, I decided that lugging a magnum rifle up and down the hills wasn't getting easier so I started using lighter rifles. My main mulie/antelope rifle is now a M700 in 7-08 with a 2x7Leuy. I reload and use 140gr Partitions. That rig totes easy and kills like the Hammer of Thor.
One hint, before you take to the hills, get in shape. That monster buck might be just over the hill you decided not to climb.

Aim for the exit hole.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nothing wrong with a 7mm Rem mag, your scope or your ammo. I prefer a lighter, simpler, easier kicking combo, but I'd hunt mule deer with your setup. You've got it all sighted in nice and tight?

A fellow can go on a quest to find the "perfect" rifle, scope, ammo combo, and get all frustrated. Or just settle on one good setup that works. We're all a little different, and like different things. Personally, I have a huge respect for the 7mm Rem mag and cartridges of similar capability.

The real trick is learning how to find deer. What you shoot them with is far less important.

So, get out off-season with a pair of binoculars, good ones, a spotting scope if you've got one, and a camera. Learn where the bucks hang out in different conditions and different times of day and in different weather. This will pay off big time during hunting season.

Just returned from a great Wyoming trip. Saw dozens of bucks. Saw the one I eventually shot on the very first morning. Saw him again that afternoon. Left him alone and spent a couple of days hunting and looking at other bucks. Went back and was able to re-locate the buck I'd seen on the first day and was able to bring him down. It was a great hunt. Saw a LOT of mulie bucks! Not all were "shooters" but I probably could have taken at least six or seven that would have put a grin on my face and filled the freezer nicely.

Learn to find the bucks! Just finding mule deer is good, but unless it's the rut, finding a doe is no indicator that there's a mature buck anywhere near.

There are some decent mule deer hunting videos and books avail. Might help some.

Don't worry 'bout the rifle. It'll do fine. With the 7mm Rem mag and 160 gr Accubonds, you've got enough rifle for any of the western big game species. It'll work just fine on elk or black bear too. I took a big ol' bull elk some years back with a 7mm Rem mag. It did well.

Regards, Guy

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

bag of tricks:

You're in the process of discovering that shooting and killing a deer (or any big game animal) is the easiest part of the process. Finding one to shoot is the most difficult part, then getting it out is the next most difficult part.

It's called hunting, not killing. Your rifle/caliber/scope combination is just fine but it's just the beginning. Next you need a good pair of boots so you can cover miles upon miles of ground looking for signs and then a good pair of binoculars so you can let your eyes do the walking. There's no end to the gear that you can buy for hunting.

Having the right gear is no guarantee that you will see game animals. It can take years to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective hunter. You can reduce the learning curve by reading a lot regarding the subject and talking with experienced hunters but there's no substitute for experience.

But even lots of experience is no guarantee. I've been hunting for fifty years and recently went on a deer hunt in new country. After three days of hiking, scouting and looking for sign I wasn't very encouraged. But eventually I figured out a place where I was pretty confident that there would be deer that evening. I did my sneak into the area in mid-afternoon and sat down to wait. A little before sundown they came out running and I couldn't get a shot. I don't know what I did wrong but I must have done something to alert them.

Then it started raining. Then it was time to go home. I didn't get a deer but I had a great time trying.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GuyM
The real trick is learning how to find deer. What you shoot them with is far less important.

So, get out off-season with a pair of binoculars, good ones, a spotting scope if you've got one, and a camera. Learn where the bucks hang out in different conditions and different times of day and in different weather. This will pay off big time during hunting season.

Learn to find the bucks! Just finding mule deer is good, but unless it's the rut, finding a doe is no indicator that there's a mature buck anywhere near.

This is all true and good info from an experienced hunter. wink

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I spent a week looking for deer in the mountains and my dog just chased a giant mule deer buck out of the front yard.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Why don't you ask the guy behind the counter?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by KC

I spent a week looking for deer in the mountains and my dog just chased a giant mule deer buck out of the front yard.

Go figure. Sometimes my son and I will have a tough season, few or no legal deer seen... Then a few weeks later it snows and there are mule deer tracks right through our yard. We live in town... Sheesh...

Guy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I were in your shoes, I'd hire a guide to hunt with next year to show you the ropes if you can't get a friend to.

There's a lot to it as others have said, and having somebody show you the basics is almost a necessity if you are starting as blind as it seems.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And too, there are a number of good books and videos on the subject.
If you do decide to go the guide route, be sure and check his references closely. Too many "guides" are actually out of work painters and laid off sheep herders.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That is a great rifle/ ammo combination. If i were you next year i would apply for a better hunt area and or other states. Or maybe just get to know the area you are hunting better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would agree with the other suggestions and just add if you want to be a good hunter and outdoorsman you should hunt other game including small game , predadors and birds if available. This might mean you are going to be purchasing other guns but you dont need to spend big bucks for a quality shotgun or smaller caliber rifle. Being in the woods hunting other game you will gain valuable experience on big game. Hunting three days a year aint gonna cut it.
7mmmag wouldn't have been my suggestion for a new guy who only would have 1 rifle but it is a sound choice without a doubt. I probably would have suggested 7mm08,270,308 or 30-06 with a quality 3-10 variable. But If you ask ten guys you will get ten different opinions. You ended up with a good setbup so dont sweat that. i aways say hunting is the best practice for hunting. Hunting other game will give you that woods time you need to gain experience.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gear is fine and will do the job when/wherever you hunt. I just moved away from Utah after 28 yrs. Ro find deer, you have to get away from roads and people. Find places that people don't go, and look there for deer, especially after others have pushed them out of normal haunts. Or find places where they move when others bump them - saddles, funnels. Best way to find these places - add a GOOD pair of binoculars to your war chest. Buy them now, cry now, and then enjoy them for the rest of your life - and the next generation will enjoy them too. If you buy cheap now, once you look through GOOD binos, you will wonder why you went through life with crummy optics. Swarovski, Steiner, Leica. Others have discussed that. Find a good vantage point and watch what the deer do - before and during the season when they are pressured.

Good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nothing wrong with your ammo or gun choice. nothing wrong at all with the 7mag. notice most of the guys saying get a lighter gun live back east where the mountains are dinky if there are even any. its funny it works like that, western hunters who hike real mountains often prefer a heavier gun. kinda the opposite of what you might think. I have noticed that for years around here.

all of us are gun loonies for the most part with pretty distinct opinions. I am not that big of a 7mag fan but thats only because its a belted case and I don't like belted cases. however I feel the performance of the 7mag is one of the most ideal you can get for western big game hunting.

utah has changed its deer management, I predict if we don't have terrible winters we will be having some of the best deer hunting around here in 2 years than we have had in the last 25 yrs. there are tons of smaller bucks, give these bucks 2 years and they will be lots of nice bucks out there. If you don't mind me asking what unit did you draw?? Its likely I have some knowledge of the unit you hunted and can tell you if it sucks or not.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (2alphas2, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 163bc, 37 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,952
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.