Print Thread
Hop To
J
JamesW Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Just looking at a couple of other posts concerning Talley rings and thaught I would post my experience, without side tracking the other threads!

I purchased a set of Talley QD's and when fitted them to the rifle noticed that the dovetail was off centre to the rings by 40thou. I contacted Marshall at Talley (the rings were purchased from there) and he contacted the manufactures and found that the rings are machined with 17 to 20thou offset in the dovetail, each side adding up to a 34 to 40thou offset between the dovetail and scope centre! I then replied to Marshall that this was not acceptable and asked what could be sorted. To this date there has been no reply.

I live in Australia which makes return difficult so I decided to suck it up and re-machine the dovetail and clamp to centre it up, completed this and the fabrication of the dovetail base and installed the scope last night.

Had heard lots of good reviews on the forums regarding Talley, worst luck my experience has not been good.

[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Hmmm....? Doesn't sound right.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see the offset in your picture but am curious why it is a problem. Your scope is .040 off c/l of your bore? As long as they are both offset the same way and a max of .040 what does that hurt?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would not allow such rings on any rifle I owned. Would you?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
JamesW Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I can see the offset in your picture but am curious why it is a problem. Your scope is .040 off c/l of your bore? As long as they are both offset the same way and a max of .040 what does that hurt?

I had a big think and considered just leaving them offset and building the base/dovetail offset the opposite way to compensate, couldn't bring myself to machine up a component on the piss to compensate for another. The offset is a minimum of 40thou, the dovetail shown is undersize and the ring is just clamping bottomed out, correct size dovetail gives bigger offset.

EDM, I just couldn't use them knowing they were not as good as they could be!

Suprised no one has ever noticed/posted regarding this. I searched and then asked if this was normal, the reply was yes.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JamesW; 11/03/14.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10gaugeman, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12savage, 57 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,315
Posts18,505,694
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.