Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You mean people don't change their own oil anymore?

Did mine my whole life, too old and decrepit now to crawl around under the dang things.

DITTO, but I take it to a mechanic I have know for 30+ years, 24 bucks out the door and he airs up the tires, fills the window washer tank, checks all the other fluids and tops them off if needed no extra charge.

Yes, but he probably sees that you carry, he knows to do it right. wink

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But have always done my own.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am happy to report that I have a local Chevy dealership that I have complete confidence in and have them do all of my service work. That includes a Silverado, a Corvette, a Maxima and an Acura. If he feels that he can't do it right, he tells me in advance, at no charge.

The service manager and I have become friends and I am very pleased with the service that I receive.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always changed my own oil, grease all fittings. Since both of my vehicles are 4x4's I like to check everything out underneath, drivelines, steering arms, tierod ends, fluids in trans, transfer, both differentials, loose fasteners, wires ect.

Had only been married to second wife a short while, came home from work one day, her car was up on jack stands she's got my overalls on, she had just changed her own oil&filter! Her hands were all greasy, she had grease smudges on her cheek&nose, quite a sight in those dirty old coveralls. smile

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I can change my oil in my Stratus for $ 11 plus about $4 bucks for a filter. I don't see anyone doing it for 15 bucks. I was with a buddy who pulled up into a Jiffy Lube. He had an old junked out $ 1,300 SUV. For 6 qts it came to $56. I laughed in his face. YOu can save a lot of money just changing when the manual tells ya to.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly do this for a feeling of security - known good engine oil and quality filter, transmission/transfer case/rear diff are full, sure that all grease points are hit right (and slop cleaned off), opp to check other stuff underside and check other filters/fluids - and can be certain that all of the plugs are in tight. Have just seen too many shortcuts and screw-ups.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Change it myself, but have a local small shop mechanic do other work. If somebody knows that you know them, they generally do a better job in their work than some shop that tries to cycle customers through.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I used to change my own oil (used and still do use Mobil 1), but it is a pain the butt to do so now with the small engine compartments. You have to remove the under-engine cover and it is a royal pain to reach the oil filter. Now, I take my Mobil 1 to the dealer and let them do it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
waaaaaaah.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Tracks

My car still has several services available as part of the purchase plan, and for my 06 Dodge diesel it's actually cheaper to have the dealer do it.

Yep cheaper to have it done than do it myself, then have to find a place to dispose of the oil.

Just dump it out back, kill a ant bed, thin it a little and spray the fence row, treat the boards on your trailer...

Dummy! grin

Last edited by Oldman2003; 11/06/14.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman2003

My car still has several services available as part of the purchase plan, and for my 06 Dodge diesel it's actually cheaper to have the dealer do it.

Yep cheaper to have it done than do it myself, then have to find a place to dispose of the oil.

Just dump it out back, kill a ant bed, thin it a little and spray the fence row, treat the boards on your trailer...

Dummy! grin

Listen here you old fart............... laugh No trailer boards , no ants and no fence I own wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, dont take it out on me... I was honestly trying to help whistle

Are you getting to do any hunting?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
I worked at dealerships for ten years and generally speaking the guys and gals that did oil changes were not trained mechanics. All they did, and especially in busy dealerships, was change oil. They were no smarter than the lackeys everyone is complaining about that work at the quick change oil places.

TIFIW.

The Ford Dealership I trade with is in a town of less than 1500 people. Yet they probably sell more Ford pickups to farmers & ranchers than do most Dealerships in the large metro areas like DFW. Same guy has been changing oil in all my Fords for the last 20 years. I damned sure wouldn't let one of the High School dropouts out a Jiffy Lube near one of my Trucks! JMO, though. AND, it's FREE.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lots of hunting just haven't pulled the trigger myself. Helped all my friends fill first,

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
last summer I come home and see where fluid was leaking on the road in front of my house. It continued into the driveway, right up to my wife's lexus. No puddle there, cause there wasn't any oil left. She had driven 23 miles. Precision tune in Rock Hill SC. I called them, had it towed back to them to tighten the oil filter and add oil. The lady/owner on the phone without even seeing the car, declared there was no damage.

She was probably right ... and probably the first time that day.

Charlie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lots of hunting just haven't pulled the trigger myself. Helped all my friends fill first,

Nothing wrong with that! Hope you have a good year, dont look like I'm gonna get any hunting in. frown Just look forward to fishing next spring

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Dittos.

Best place I know of is my driveway.

Same here....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Every time I change mine, I swear I'm going to take it somewhere to get it done. Until the next time it needs changing. Mobil 1, 225k, and my 5 year old assistant...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

My 08 Dodge Cummins takes 12 qts of oil. If I use Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel from Walmart, it costs me about $75 for the oil and maybe $15 for a filter. There are a number of auto parts places that will take used oil for free. I don't know of any place that will do it for $90.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Local Dodge dealers send out discount coupons fairly ofter. My truck is only used these days for hunting trips, a few times a year to tow a trailer, and severe winter driving when I want to leave the Mustang in the Garage. Twice a year service is about my average. I'm retired so a few hours getting it done is no problem.
I'll leave the "do it yourself" crap to those who enjoy such things.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (12344mag, 160user, 338rcm, 22kHornet, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.