-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really? Then why is it not listed under such on the website?

Why do I have 3 Hornady reloading manuals here with said bullet not listed in a single pistol load?

Why is it ONLY listed under muzzleloader loads in manuals and on website?

Why are NO SSTs of ANY kind listed under "handgun" in anything?

Show me some loaded pistol ammunition with that bullet....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have a pic of an expanded SST?

Or was it similar to the XTP?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Because he is confusing the FTX lineup with the SSTs. At one time the .452 250gr and 300gr SST did have a hard tip. In roughly 2009-2010 that changed and now as far as i can tell the Shockwave still uses it. The 200gr FTX for 460S&W has a more pointy tip than the 225gr FTX or the 250gr FTX and feels harder to me. The 200gr may be old stock though, i bought them a while ago.

Call Hornady..i did. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, he's definitely confused.

No need to call Hornady to prove what I already know wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Because he is confusing the FTX lineup with the SSTs. At one time the .452 250gr and 300gr SST did have a hard tip. In roughly 2009-2010 that changed and now as far as i can tell the Shockwave still uses it. The 200gr FTX for 460S&W has a more pointy tip than the 225gr FTX or the 250gr FTX and feels harder to me. The 200gr may be old stock though, i bought them a while ago.

Just a guess here but ...

Maybe Hornady changed to a soft flex tip with a tube fed lever action in mind.

A SST ML bullet, first, that was adapted to a lever action.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The SST ML is nothing but a SST without the cannelure

I guess you did not read the link and the 450B does not use or need a cannelure either. Ive bought both the 250gr FTX and 250gr SST in bulk. Neither one had a cannelure. Hornady does not list any other .452 250gr SSTs or FTXs. There are just two.

No I read it, and I know it stated that they don't use a cannelure on the SST .452 Bushmaster.

As for the FTX, well I didn't bother reading it.

The fact of the matter is the .452 SST and .452 SST ML "is the same bullet"! I never once said it did have a cannelure for the Bushmaster. The only ACTUAL difference between the SST ML and the SST both in .452 is a cannelure, there the exact same bullet directly from the Hornady techs mouth. Both .452 SST's open the same at the same velocity and perform the same, that's because they are the same. Again the only difference is a "cannelure"!

I don't even understand why you seem to think I'm against you other than maybe you think the SST's are different which they are not in composition of the .452.

fishhead<--- Yes I stand corrected, Hornady tech just confirmed this; .452 velocities: 1300-2200. Still the bullets not expanding have been an issue. I still use them however.
http://www.hornady.com/store/50-Cal-Sabot-Low-Drag-with-45-Cal-250-SST-Bullet/

The Shockwave is a SST with a different color tip, here I'm comparing them:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hydrashocker; 12/01/14.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hydrashocker
2muchgun<---- Really???? The .452 SST was a pistol bullet well before it was a ML bullet. And the FTX has a larger bearing surface and harder tip for lever action guns which are what??? Oh yea, rifles.

Not sure why you brought the FTX into this, as I never even mentioned them.

But, they are designed for handguns and leverguns.

Please feel free to tell me why they would use a HARDER tip for use in a tubular lever gun magazine....Once again, you are confused...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I'm not confusing them, they may have changed them....That I do not know.

Just like when the Shockwave had a boat tail that they don't have anymore either I guess?

Point of the matter is the FTX has a different tip than the SST. What "at this point in time" they have changed is obviously something because now they are stating the SST ML is cabable of lower velocity expansions. SO obviously they have changed something between when I was using them until now.

If you knew that they changed it why the He!! didn't you say something sooner instead of keeping that info to yourself and stop wasting my time????

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Typo, I meant softer smarty pants.

[quote]Which handgun would that be? The 450 Bushmaster? That is what the 250gr SST/FTX was designed to be shot in.

And I didn't bring the FTX into it, read again ^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the last 3 manuals. Nothing has changed in that NO SST is listed for handguns in ANY way, and that the FTX NEVER had a HARDER tip.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You DID bring the FTX into it, with me anyway. I never said a thing about them. Next you are telling me of their "harder tips"....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Please post a pic of a .452 250gr SST or FTX with a cannelure. Even the cross section pics ive seen show none. The ones ive bought have none.

There are only 2 listed on Hornady's website.

250gr FTX for Bushmaster
http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-FTX-for-450-Bushmaster/

250gr SST for ML
http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-SST-ML/

There is no SST listed for .452 handgun
http://www.hornady.com/store/.452-45-CAL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Really? Then why is it not listed under such on the website?

Why do I have 3 Hornady reloading manuals here with said bullet not listed in a single pistol load?

Why is it ONLY listed under muzzleloader loads in manuals and on website?

Why are NO SSTs of ANY kind listed under "handgun" in anything?

Show me some loaded pistol ammunition with that bullet....

Yes and please address these qustions as well......

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I have the last 3 manuals. Nothing has changed in that NO SST is listed for handguns in ANY way, and that the FTX NEVER had a HARDER tip.....

Already said I meant softer. ^^^ Even if so it makes no difference. It was still designed for other than ML in the first place right from Hornady. Back a few years ago that was the up to date info that I stated, now who knows unless you call them every chance you get. You can still get the SST in ammunition for rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess you don't get it.

IT IS IN THE MANUALS. FROM DAY ONE OF IT'S INCEPTION. NOTHING HAS CHANGED.....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Please post a pic of a .452 250gr SST or FTX with a cannelure. Even the cross section pics ive seen show none. The ones ive bought have none.

There is no SST listed for .452 handgun
http://www.hornady.com/store/.452-45-CAL

I never claimed the FTX had a cannelure, in fact I don't even know where you picked that idea up?

They used to have it listed, they were available in bulk but they pulled them now, even ordered some???.....I have no idea anymore.

Regardless can we get back on topic and stop the picking??? We were talking about the SST exploding not any of this other crap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No $hit you can still get the SST ammo for rifles!

That is ALL you could EVER get it for. They started loading SSTs in the faster 500 and 460 when they came out. But not same bullets as the ML bullets you describe, and they now say FTX on them. No SST handgun loads in manuals either. They only reference the FTXs in the 460 and 500...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hydrashocker

Point of the matter is the FTX has a different tip than the SST.

Are you sure about that? smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
An argument and the powerbelt is not involved? Oh my! laugh

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I never claimed the FTX had a cannelure, in fact I don't even know where you picked that idea up?

No you claimed the .452 SST did and that is incorrect. Please post a pic. I gave you the option of providing a pic of either which it appears you cant....Notice i used the word "OR" in my request.

Here is a pic of the ORIGINAL PTX and SST side by side. The PTX was the very first Hornady tipped ML bullet.

[Linked Image]

The SST in the pic is a original SST with the old hard pointy tip. Those are the ones that got the bad rap for NOT expanding. The PTX had the same rap too.

This is a newer SST and Shockwaves for comparison to a .458 FTX on the far right. Ignore the black tip Parker BE.
[Linked Image]

The tips are similar except the blue bonded Shockwave which retained the old style SST tip.

They never had a boattail either, please post a pic of a .452 SST boattail. Some had a larger radius than others but NEVER a boattail in the .452 SST or ML lineup.

The point im making is there were some changes over the years, just not the changes you are claiming. The change was mainly in the tip construction and possibly the alloy. There was even a harder plastic tip that was harder than the current SST but looked the same. Ive heard T/C uses this tip on the regular Shockwave but i can not confirm it.

All this confusion is why some say they dont expand and others claim they over expand. There are obviously other variables to consider such as MV and speed at impact.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (204guy, 222Sako, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,850
Posts18,517,575
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.