Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by safariman
With the prices you guys are quoting for a real Dragunov, I am sure now that I was seeing something else being called a Dragunov but which was clearly not.

Any other decent semi auto's in 7.62x54R made that someone could dress up to look like a Draagunov? IF so, that is probably what I have been seeing for sale. Makes my question a different animal as a real Dragunov would cost about as much as a used Barrett m-82, a far better and cooler piece of furniture if that is what one is after.

Probably what you want is a PSL. At least that's the name I'm most familiar with.
I think there's a PSK also. You will want to be aware that there are differences as to where they were manufactured, also. There were some put together by Tennessee Guns, IIRC, and also, Century maybe. Sorry, but I've forgotten the details. Generally the true Romanian versions are preferred. Although the work can be iffy there, too.

Retired cat herder.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then the bayonet wouldn't fit!
The apple corer is a mighty wicked sticker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't screw around with Soviet or Chinese weapons. You should buy 2 ARs, 2 semi-auto pistols and get 2,000 rounds of ammo for each. ARs are much better quality than the other weapons and they are not all that expensive. Put a reddot or low power variable (1-4 or 2-8) leupold on them. 223 ammo is light and very effect for self defense and you can use 30 round mags. ARs are pretty light too. Might also get AR pistols with single point harnesses

You don't need to plan for long disasters. It could be something like the Rodney King riots where you have to fight a large mob.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ConradCA
I wouldn't screw around with Soviet or Chinese weapons. You should buy 2 ARs, 2 semi-auto pistols and get 2,000 rounds of ammo for each. ARs are much better quality than the other weapons and they are not all that expensive. Put a reddot or low power variable (1-4 or 2-8) leupold on them. 223 ammo is light and very effect for self defense and you can use 30 round mags. ARs are pretty light too. Might also get AR pistols with single point harnesses

You don't need to plan for long disasters. It could be something like the Rodney King riots where you have to fight a large mob.

Those are the kinds of scenarios I was more thinking of.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If that's what you're thinking about don't waste time and money on the neat but uncommon rifles - Drag and PSL types-on this thread.
I'd suggest AR, FAL, M1A. Any would serve well.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I would just build my own Gatling gun. Cast and load up a ton of 45-70 rounds and set it up in a turret built on the side of your house.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

In todays parlance, I'd say it was more of a "designated marksmans" rifle than a true sniper rifle...

This was my thought as well. The stuff we played with was used hard and old though. And who knows if "good" ammo would help a lot.

Think scoped M14 instead of M40.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4321
Except for the Paras. They will thump you.
They don't bother me much, but recoil is much more noticable due to the stock design. The standard fixed stock is an excellent design where recoil is concerned. The butt plate is nice and wide, distributes recoil all over the shoulder; especially the rubber butt plates.

The folder while an excellent design has about 1/4 the surface area, so all that is focused onto a much smaller section of your shoulder, so it's MUCH more noticable.

In fact for me at least, I never even noticed FAL recoil until I fired a folder. It doesn't bother me at all, but I do notice it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the prices you guys are quoting for a real Dragunov, I am sure now that I was seeing something else being called a Dragunov but which was clearly not.

Any other decent semi auto's in 7.62x54R made that someone could dress up to look like a Draagunov? IF so, that is probably what I have been seeing for sale. Makes my question a different animal as a real Dragunov would cost about as much as a used Barrett m-82, a far better and cooler piece of furniture if that is what one is after.
What you're seeing is either a PSL (Romanian), VEPR, or Saiga. The VEPR's and Saiga's are actually rather good rifles, the weak point being their magazines which are decent, but certainly not what I'd call "military grade". If you found something like a 20" VEPR or Saiga for around a grand that would be a downright decent rifle allowing you to use that super cheap 7.62x54, which allows you to shoot a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

[Linked Image]

SWEET Izzy dood!!

Last edited by GunGeek; 12/04/14.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Almost identical in power to the 308/7.62x51

7.62x54R is more in line with the 30-06 than the .308

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 4ager

Alright, first for some very cold water and to burst your fantasy.

If SHTF, you're dead and damned fast. Period; end of discussion. With your health problems you've laid out here, chapter and verse, you'd dead or incapacitated as soon as your pills run out or low. If you're on 90 day supplies, you have at most that long; 30 day supplies, at most that long. Murphy's law will dictate that SHTF not the day after you get a refill, though. So, you're a dead man and quickly.

Before that happens, you'll run out of food or water. I don't gather that you farm yourself, or that you live in an area where you're on a well. The water goes out; you're dead, because you damned sure can't get access to other water without exposing yourself and you're in no physical condition to be carrying water. That "pretty, petite little wife" of yours, that you love to brag about, is a target then and one you likely can't cover (you won't have fuel, and you can't walk that well or cover your supplies at home); unless you can cover her hauling water to/from the house, you're dead.

Even if you do engage groups trying to take what stuff you do have, how long do you really think you can hold out? Is your house in an area where you can see for considerable distances without any cover/concealment near it? Do you have a strong structure on the roof to hide behind and the ability to get to/from it without exposing yourself to cover the perimeter? Odds are, no, you aren't in a strategic position for defense, and you're a sitting duck.

I could continue, but please, just throw that "white hat, protecting his woman and home" BS right out the window. You're a very dead man, very soon, if SHTF and that "pretty little wife" of yours will have to fend for herself. You'd better be putting time and energy into shoring up her relations with her family, if you really think that SHTF comes in your lifetime. They MIGHT have a chance at protecting her; you don't have a prayer.

Hell, even if you did survive the first waves, you're dead when the meds run out, and there ain't a damned thing you can do about that, and nowhere either of the two of you are getting to before those meds run out that will be any better. If S really does HTF, there's no cavalry coming and no reprieve.

Now, with that out of the way, get two AR-15 lowers. Hers should be an M4 variant in 5.56. Set one up for yourself the same, as then she'll know yours as well as hers (they'll both be hers eventually anyway). If you want more horsepower for hunting, a second upper on yours is easy and you can run up to WSSMs through there.

Just concentrate on the plinking, varmint shooting, and maybe some big game hunting. SHTF is the last thing you should be considering, because you wouldn't last long enough to even get past the first splatter from the fan.

So what's the bad news on this for him then?

wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 50 invisible), 17,007 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,924
Posts18,539,071
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.