Hop To
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BullShooter
The no-love complaint is an old one. Here's a note Q&A from 91 years ago:

Originally Posted by The American Rifleman, Aug 15 1923, p.25
IS THE 7 MM. IDEAL?
Have been reading about everything to be found in "The American Rifleman," "Outdoor Life," Outers' Recreation," and "Field and Stream," and I seldom see mentioned the 7 mm., which to me seems like an ideal cartridge, especially for the average man.
I have a Springfield fitted with a Niedner barrel chambered for the Western 139-grain lubaloy open-point bullet, barrel grooved to a 10-inch twist. I am writing for your opinion as to what results I will obtain. The standard twist is 8-1/2 inches, designed for the long 170-grain bullet. I do not believe it is possible to shoot both the 170-grain and 139-grain with any degee of satisfaction, and, therefore, chose the smaller bullet and the slower twist,and it seems to me that I should have a combination that would fill a long felt want in a sporting rifle. H.L.W., Dowagiac, Mich

Answer (by Maj. Whelen): You are dead right about the 7 mm. being a desirable and satisfactory cartridge for the ideal American rifle. It is just exactly the right caliber and power for all American shooting. It is plenty heavy enough for any of our game, including Alaskan brown bear, our largest animal. It is also small enough in caliber to permit of being loaded with a reduced load for any small game. With a fine barrel you have a most excellent weapon. No need of anything better for this country.

--Bob

The Major didn't exactly agree with H.L.W's choice of bullet or twist but threw out an accolade for the cartridge.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Riddle me this: If a 175gr bullet leaves the barrel of a 7x57 spinning 100,000 RPM, how fast will it be spinning at 300 yards? wink

300 yds. x 12= 3600" divided by 8 (for 1:8" twist) subtracted from 100,000 = 99,550. Perhaps a little more or less. Feel free to prove me wrong.

That, of course, assumes a right hand twist in the Northern Hemisphere. Your mileage may vary.

And no mention was made of the Coriolis Effect...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Typical for you 7x57 lovers, very complicated. Now you are talking like Trekkies, and discussing twist rates again. grin

Arcus Venator
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by roundoak

IS THE 7 MM. IDEAL?
Have been reading about everything to be found in "The American Rifleman," "Outdoor Life," Outers' Recreation," and "Field and Stream," and I seldom see mentioned the 7 mm., which to me seems like an ideal cartridge, especially for the average man.
I have a Springfield fitted with a Niedner barrel chambered for the Western 139-grain lubaloy open-point bullet, barrel grooved to a 10-inch twist. I am writing for your opinion as to what results I will obtain. The standard twist is 8-1/2 inches, designed for the long 170-grain bullet. I do not believe it is possible to shoot both the 170-grain and 139-grain with any degee of satisfaction, and, therefore, chose the smaller bullet and the slower twist,and it seems to me that I should have a combination that would fill a long felt want in a sporting rifle. H.L.W., Dowagiac, Mich

Answer (by Maj. Whelen): You are dead right about the 7 mm. being a desirable and satisfactory cartridge for the ideal American rifle. It is just exactly the right caliber and power for all American shooting. It is plenty heavy enough for any of our game, including Alaskan brown bear, our largest animal. It is also small enough in caliber to permit of being loaded with a reduced load for any small game. With a fine barrel you have a most excellent weapon. No need of anything better for this country.

--Bob

The Major didn't exactly agree with H.L.W's choice of bullet or twist but threw out an accolade for the cartridge.

Interesting that Col. Whelen should feel the 7x57 would be adequate for Alaskan Brown Bear. I believe I would feel more comfortable with something in the 105MM range. I suppose it would work given very careful shot placement but I would probably be shaking so bad that I'd miss the whole damn bear.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CRS
Typical for you 7x57 lovers, very complicated. Now you are talking like Trekkies, and discussing twist rates again. grin

Be careful what you say now. I'll have Mr.Scott beam you into deep space, widest angle of dispersion....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by roundoak

IS THE 7 MM. IDEAL?

--Bob

Interesting that Col. Whelen should feel the 7x57 would be adequate for Alaskan Brown Bear. I believe I would feel more comfortable with something in the 105MM range. I suppose it would work given very careful shot placement but I would probably be shaking so bad that I'd miss the whole damn bear.
Paul B.

Plenty have been taken with less. I believe that Sikadeer's son took one with a 25-06 and the 80 grain TSX with one shot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
With all the popularity of the 7x57 on the 'fire, I'm thinking one of our erstwhile gun scribes - professional or otherwise - ought to put together an entire book devoted to it alone. It could include stories and photos of game taken over the years and throughout the world, reloading information for old and new guns, technical stuff about throat lengths (which I still don't entirely get), and loads from the lightest to the heaviest and everything in between. I'd buy one and I'll be Ingwe would too.

Now, if we can only get 9998 other folks to commit....

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No I wouldn't. I already know everything there is to know about the 7x57....... whistle

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
OK, I'll buy two and give one to a friend. That way we still need only 9998 more people.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK. I'll be busy shooting Florida pigs....

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What's that got to do with a 7x57 book? You'll be using your .223AI. But when you're back in Montana, I'll still be slaying them with my old '98...assuming you leave any.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But what load are you going to be using for said Florida pigs?

Arcus Venator
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A 55 grain TTSX out of a .223AI !! laugh

Don't need anything as big as a 7x57 for pigs...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You better practice shot placement. Otherwise, you're gonna be tracking through some pretty miserable landscape.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No worries.

Pigs are bigger than javelinas...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 12/04/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Riddle me this: If a 175gr bullet leaves the barrel of a 7x57 spinning 100,000 RPM, how fast will it be spinning at 300 yards? wink

300 yds. x 12= 3600" divided by 8 (for 1:8" twist) subtracted from 100,000 = 99,550. Perhaps a little more or less. Feel free to prove me wrong.

That, of course, assumes a right hand twist in the Northern Hemisphere. Your mileage may vary.

And no mention was made of the Coriolis Effect...

Nor Darwin's theory of revolution, and the origin of spitzers.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Nor Darwin's theory of revolution, and the origin of spitzers.

I'm lovin' that! laugh

But I thought Bartles & Jaymes invented spritzers in the '70s

" Thank you for your support"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers sent for those hapless individuals who cannot understand or appreciate the multiple virtues and effectiveness of the 7X5.

Here's hoping they see the light, and that they have a sense of humor!!

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 12/04/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Of course Ingwe would know all about the origins of wine coolers, probably drank them while sitting in a leopard print thong in his apartment with the thick green shag carpet!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, but computer auto-correction spelling reinvented "spritzer" in the 2000's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 50 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,921
Posts18,518,805
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.