-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as the same old supercilious arrogance continues to compel "furriners" to judge the South and Southerners the same old tattered ways, the South and Southerners will continue to resent it. Rightfully, IMHO.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty interesting info on the Little Bighorn. I am a history buff, but actually know very little of this battle. I need to track down some of these books.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
As long as the same old supercilious arrogance continues to compel "furriners" to judge the South and Southerners the same old tattered ways, the South and Southerners will continue to resent it. Rightfully, IMHO.

How about "furriners" who just want to treat and be treated in a manner based upon mutual respect but are instantly judged on the basis of their geographical location?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had previously never been big on visiting the old battle sites. Respect the soldiers' bravery and sacrifices, absolutely - but not go there. I went to Pearl Harbor early this year, and it was a moving experience. LBH seems like a good one to visit as well.

I have never much studied Little Bighorn, but the main "myth" I'd always heard was that the Indians had repeating rifles, and Custer's troops only had Trapdoor Springfields. Correct, or not?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad

How about "furriners" who just want to treat and be treated in a manner based upon mutual respect but are instantly judged on the basis of their geographical location?

As I use it, the term furriners refers to those from whatever geographical scruff who can't keep their damned opinions of the South and Southerners to themselves.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Ken,

You may want to hit your Life Alert button, it appears you have fallen and hit your head...

Takedown.
Two points for Shrap. grin

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Profiling?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

As I use it, the term furriners refers to those from whatever geographical scruff can't keep their damned opinions of the South and Southerners to themselves.

That sounds fair. I would expand it to read "...the South and Southerners and/or the North and Northerners...".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
We visited the Little Big Horn on a gray misty day. The day and the headstones gave a eerie feeling to the battle field and I was very surprised at the distances involved. The interpreter we had was quite good to the point of creating interest to retrace Custer's footsteps.

The 7th Calvary outpost in North Dakota is interesting to see the level of luxury that Custer left behind to travel to his death. Given that five Custer family members died at the battle including a nephew he took along as a horse handler makes me wonder if he thought the Indian issue was no longer serious.

Pictures of the inside of the residence (Libby's piano) and barracks. On the end of the beds in the barracks the name of the solider and their fate is posted.

It was interesting to see fates other than the Little Big Horn

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The guide at the North Dakota site said Custer's widow had to vacate the home within 2 to 4 weeks of notification of Custer's death.

Different times and some real interesting history.

Hugh
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a trapdoor that was passed down from my grandfather that was of little interest:

[Linked Image]

until it's serial number was found on a list of guns connected with the LBH. it is the eighth Trapdoor on THIS LIST. this is confirmed by a letter from the Springfield Research Service.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is very interesting!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by toad
I have a trapdoor that was passed down from my grandfather that was of little interest:

[Linked Image]

until it's serial number was found on a list of guns connected with the LBH. it is the eighth Trapdoor on THIS LIST. this is confirmed by a letter from the Springfield Research Service.

Now that's neat!!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Just because he pulled off an unlikely feat at Gettysburg doesn't mean it would happen in every circumstance & I tend to lean towards him being highly overconfident at the Little Big Horn. I may be being too harsh though.............

MM

Gettysburg is only one of Custer's little known Civil War accomplishments. Jeb Stuart was the pride if the Southern Army and was killed at the hands of Custer's command at Yellow Tavern.

There is a reason Custer was a General at 23 years of age. Custer was at Appomattox when Lee surrendered. Phil Sheridan bought the table that they signed the terms of the surrender on and gave it to Libby Custer with a note stating that the war would not have come to as early a conclusion without the heroics of her husband...

If one studies Custer's Civil War record they'll see that the man made things happen.
His troops captured the most enemy battle flags of any command.
I've read that his troops captured every piece of artillery that fired on them and that he never lost any of his own to capture(though he had to take some back,from the enemy,a time or two).
He was one of the first to go up in a hot-air balloon to be a Forward Observer(he volunteered for that duty and was under heavy fire).
In a drawn sabre cavalry charge he was always in the lead even as a General(there are many accounts of this occurring).
General Grant thought so much of him that he gave Custer and not the President the table that the surrender was signed on.

Shrap,are you familiar with the Crow Rock Fight? I've heard that Sitting Bull was in that one.

Custer lost more men then anyone else of similar rank.
Those "accomplishments" were purchased with the blood of his men, who's welfare he held subordinate to his own personal glory.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by erickg
Looking for two or three good book recommendations about Custer and the battle.

A very good book for reading of Custer's Civil War years is Custer Victorious by Gregory J. W. Urwin...it tells of the table that Gen.Sheridan purchased for Mrs. Custer for $20 in gold but fails to tell if it was one $20 coin or two $10 coins.

For books regarding Custer and/or the Little Bighorn campaign Custer's Last Campaign by John S. Gray is one that I recommend.
It tells of the 7ths movements on their way to the Battle and also it tells about Mitch Boyer(a half Sioux Army Scout that chose to stay with Custer to the end) who lived a very interesting life.
Another book about the Little Big Horn that I found difficult to put down is Archaeological Perspectives on the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Douglas D. Scott,Richard A. Fox,Jr.,Melissa A. Conner,and Dick Harmon.It tells of the 1984/85 digs and what was discovered.

Lastly,one that I found informative is Crazy Horse and Custer The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors by Stephen E. Ambrose.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When Custer was promoted to Brigadier General his immediate superior was Gen.Hugh Judson Kilpatrick nick-named Kill-Cavalry by troops under him.
He was Custer's superior officer during Gettysburg and was well known for losing many men including brigade,regimental,and squadron commanders.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The difference is the Custer battle ended in 1876, the Civil War still rages on in the South...

GFY

MM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Those "accomplishments" were purchased with the blood of his men, who's welfare he held subordinate to his own personal glory.

You might look up General Longstreet and Gettysburg...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

As I use it, the term furriners refers to those from whatever geographical scruff who can't keep their damned opinions of the South and Southerners to themselves.

You sure got butt hurt over being told your story was a steaming pile of bullschit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Few women could write it so plainly.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.