Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
It would be fun to see the course shot with an actual hunting rifle, say sub-9lbs... off the pack...no Kestrel.... no range card.... glass'em, range'em, bang'em.... under your 4min hard-deck.

Mine was the closest I saw to anything resembling a 'hunting' rifle.... it wore fixed 12x.... and weighed 9.3lbs. I know..... a 'hunting' rifle is what it is, and if you can pack it you can pack it.... just saying a squad of 8-9 guys running 'hunting rigs' for a $20/ea side pot would be interesting.

I've told you before, I've shot the match with my factory A-Bolt and a VX2 and paper data. Shot 45 beating plenty of Operators with $5,000 rigs.

Originally Posted by Tanner
Did Ya' notice the part about "solo, mountain hunting"? I never extolled the virtues of a 6x on static steel targets, for use in a match involving heavy rifles and high magnification scopes... Because I wouldn't shoot a 6x at one...

Tanner

The match replicates hunting. It can and should be shot with what you'd hunt with, if only to reveal your rifle/scope combination's and your personal limitations.

One of my friends who is a top precision shooter in the country, shot a 3 at one match....

Maybe he should have shot the match with his scope set on 6. LOL

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Do those matches still start back up in February like they used to? I might try and make a couple this next year when they start up again. I haven't shot it in a couple of years.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
The match replicates hunting. It can and should be shot with what you'd hunt with, if only to reveal your rifle/scope combination's and your personal limitations.

Yep, I know a schitt load of elk and deer hunters that pack 17-20lb AIAX 6mm Creeds in the woods every year. The match only replicates hunting... if you choose to shoot it that way. The match represents an arms race full of the highest dollar swag you can strap to a rifle. How many of those rifles have ever seen the side of a mountain further than 1/2 mile from the road on a 'hunting' trip?

Still.... half those dudes with 5-25 PMIIIs couldn't manage to hit half the targets.... don't think the extra 'Xs' on the scope made any difference there. Guys who can shoot.... will beat the schitt outta 2-3 MOA targets out to 500-600 with a solid gun and 6x glass. Guys who can't shoot.... it doesn't matter what power they're running.... they're still gonna miss schitt.

It's a great 'hunting' simulator.... if you actually shoot it that way. The way it is now.... it's a great reflection of shooting skills, and your willingness to spend thousands on equipment.

I say we do a $20 entry 'Hunter' side pot match in 2015.... May maybe?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Never seen a down side to a better view.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can see where there might be some discrepancies....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like a 6x42 for hunting, because I hunt by myself in the mountains quite a bit.

Same here. I prefer hunting alone.

The large FOV ( and coupled with lower recoiling cartridges) makes spotting hits and misses quite a bit easier, for me personally.

I don't tend to miss. But then I use a brake on everything.

I would have no problem turning a variable down to 6x solely for the purpose of spotting my shot.

Interesting. I turn mine down to 12X to increase the field of view so I can see impacts. Of course this is at the range. When I'm hunting it starts on its lowest magnification setting and is turned up for a shot if it is farther away than off hand close.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot the February match where it was 23� with 23 mph wind all day, snowing sideways.

Originally Posted by Ringman
I like a 6x42 for hunting, because I hunt by myself in the mountains quite a bit.

Same here. I prefer hunting alone.

The large FOV ( and coupled with lower recoiling cartridges) makes spotting hits and misses quite a bit easier, for me personally.

I don't tend to miss. But then I use a brake on everything.

I would have no problem turning a variable down to 6x solely for the purpose of spotting my shot.

Interesting. I turn mine down to 12X to increase the field of view so I can see impacts. Of course this is at the range. When I'm hunting it starts on its lowest magnification setting and is turned up for a shot if it is farther away than off hand close.

+1 to everything in your post

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't tend to miss either. But if I do, I want to know where.

I don't glass with my riflescope either, so there's another difference you can record.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The way it is now.... it's a great reflection of shooting skills,and your willingness to spend thousands on equipment.

It's fixed now

I did well with a plastic-stocked factory hunting rifle with a 400$ scope.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many of those rifles have ever seen the side of a mountain further than 1/2 mile from the road on a 'hunting' trip

[Linked Image]

About 2 miles from where I started.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
I don't tend to miss either. But if I do, I want to know where.

I don't glass with my riflescope either, so there's another difference you can record.

Tanner

If you bothered to comprehend ring mans thread he doesn't glass with his riflescope either. He glasses with his bino's then gets in his scope after he locates the quarry with his bino's.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scope was on 20X too.

laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many of those rifles have ever seen the side of a mountain further than 1/2 mile from the road on a 'hunting' trip

[Linked Image]

That's a funny-looking mountainside..... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Hey!!!!!

We are both forgetting that the SRM is a 2 mile walk through course. Every one of those rifles is carried 2 miles.

The Steel Safari has 3 different courses.

They are practical rifle matches that directly resemble hunting in every way possible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Except the terrain, hiking, and physical exertion inherent in mountain and backcountry hunting...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, you've shot both matches?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

[Linked Image]

Exactly my point..... pretty easy to haul whatever you want across the flat ass prairie. Hell, I could pack Emily, and all my gear across the course in Raton.... also flat. The SRM well imitates the shot you may have at a critter.... but I didn't see a single person there, aside from myself, that was shooting a 'hunting' set-up.... they, including you, were shooting guns built specifically for 'matches'. The gun I shot has hunted at sea level to 11,000 feet. It's killed big game and small..... it represented itself well..... but, it cost me a few hits too...

How much $$$$ does the average guy have into the rifle they shoot at the SRM.... no bullschitt.... I bet the average is $5000.

I bet the average weight of a rig there is 15lbs....

If it's purely a shooting thing.... why is so much spent on equipment?

What do you think the difference in score at the SRM would be... if say Pat and John B. shot it once with their rig of choice... then, we had them shoot it again with the same rig, only change the optic to a SS 6x? Two.... maybe three plates difference?

Here's a picture of half the rifles at Raton.... I bet it's close to $70,000 worth of iron....

[Linked Image]

That second one from the front looks familiar.... you think there's another rifle on that line in a picture like this?

[Linked Image]

For those who don't know the SRM, these are all the shots we're talking about....
40/60 are 500 yards or less. Stage 7 is shot off sticks (or whatever). None of these shots are 'easy'.... there's always wind and funky terrain.... not sure magnification is the critical element to hitting any of those 40.... the rest, well....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Now it all makes sense.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is that Flave third up from your Rifle????? grin

Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,948
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.