Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
DERBY DUDE - " ... With the M-16 you were issued 300 rounds of ammo along with a good bayonet for close quarter fighting."

I have two friends here who served in Vietnam with the 25th Inf., although at different times. One was a platoon radio operator and the other was a squad leader in his platoon.

Both told me that they were neither issued a bayonet, although they had gone through bayonet training, one at Fort Benning and the other at Fort Lewis.

Both were wounded in Vietnam, by the way.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was issued AR's for 20 years beginning with the A1 and don't recall ever having many problems with any of them.

Pretty amazing what dumbphuck G.I.'s do to those rifles and they would still work. I saw a couple of idiots using the barrels of a couple of A2 models as pry bars on a 113 track once, I'll bet they didn't group very well after that.

I'm guessing the General is looking for a pay day if he can get them to buy his employers rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I managed to kill an M-16 with blanks one night.

One of those "we don't want to have to turn in any ammo and do the paperwork" issues, or so I was told, so "rock and roll!" 60 rounds, three magazines on full auto, turned the gas tube cherry red. It separated from the front sight fixture and somehow got pulled back into the receiver, jamming the bolt in a half open position.

In another episode, the damned armory sergeant gave out MY rifle to some guy who never once cleaned it in 30 days of field exercises, then the same damn sergeant accepted that crud encrusted POS back into the rack. Then, he called me in to clean it and chewed me out for having the filthiest rifle in the battalion.

That could have been one small piece of straw contributing to my choice not to make the Army a career...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought the majority of our casualties in the middle east was from IEDs and suicide bombers.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smarquez
I thought the majority of our casualties in the middle east was from IEDs and suicide bombers.

After 05 in Iraq it was hard to get any of them to stand and fight. Afghanistan is a different war and I don't know much about it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
TAK hath returned!

Travis

HAHAHA

I read one post and recognized him too. He commented on Dillons, Toyotas and Army. He's so sneaky.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
DERBY DUDE - " ... With the M-16 you were issued 300 rounds of ammo along with a good bayonet for close quarter fighting."

I have two friends here who served in Vietnam with the 25th Inf., although at different times. One was a platoon radio operator and the other was a squad leader in his platoon.

Both told me that they were neither issued a bayonet, although they had gone through bayonet training, one at Fort Benning and the other at Fort Lewis.

Both were wounded in Vietnam, by the way.

L.W.

I don't know about them but I always had a bayonet. And I know units in Vietnam that had used bayonets in close quarter fights.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by drinkwater
He's FOS. I'd wager he's also got a sweetheart deal lined up from either FN or H&K.

When H&K was angling to sell rifles, or at least their 416 piston uppers, all of the retired field-grades they's retained as lobbyists were referred to as the "H&K Mafia".

If M4's got overheated in a combat situation it is because the morons operating them were dumping ammo on full-auto or the T&E doesn't provide enough belt feds.

Riflemen support machine gunners, especially in the defense.

Of course, there ARE those who assert that the M4s shortcomings aren't limited to overheating. Some, including two former 7th SOF members with multiple deployments/firefights, told me they believe the M4 is "over-gassed" and nearly got them killed on several occasions when it blew primers back into the bolt face and flatlined their rifles. Just relaying what they told me...

A good bet they were using MK 262 ammo. I had a jamming problem with that ammo in my M4 as well, but the green tip M 855 never failed to feed or function.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
He's FOS. I'd wager he's also got a sweetheart deal lined up from either FN or H&K.

When H&K was angling to sell rifles, or at least their 416 piston uppers, all of the retired field-grades they's retained as lobbyists were referred to as the "H&K Mafia".

If M4's got overheated in a combat situation it is because the morons operating them were dumping ammo on full-auto or the T&E doesn't provide enough belt feds.

Riflemen support machine gunners, especially in the defense.

Of course, there ARE those who assert that the M4s shortcomings aren't limited to overheating. Some, including two former 7th SOF members with multiple deployments/firefights, told me they believe the M4 is "over-gassed" and nearly got them killed on several occasions when it blew primers back into the bolt face and flatlined their rifles. Just relaying what they told me...

I agree the M-4 is over gassed. I also think the 5.56 is to small of a cross section bullet. I also believe there needs to be a search for better powder that creates less fowling. At a minimum the new rifles need to be 16 mid length, with a 6mm bullet. I find it hard to believe there isn't a powder out there that burns clean enough to reduce the fowling. It's a good article and I think the F-35's are a waste of money when the A-10 has already proven itself. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was common for us to strip and clean M16A1's every time we had a 15 minute break. LOTS of them jammed. I mean JAMMED,not stoppages. Bolt carrier stuck hard in the receiver and you couldn't even break it open to clear. I didn't care for them.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
It was common for us to strip and clean M16A1's every time we had a 15 minute break. LOTS of them jammed. I mean JAMMED,not stoppages. Bolt carrier stuck hard in the receiver and you couldn't even break it open to clear. I didn't care for them.

Brass stuck above the bolt? That one is a B-I-T-C-H. Drop the mag and take the pointed end of a leatherman and yank the bolt to the rear with it and it'll clear it. The Leatherman MUT is made specifically for this but any Leatherman/Gerber tool will work.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not going to swear that it was M855 because I typically kept 4 or so mags of Mk262 in my kit(Had an SPR behind the drivers seat of my HMMWV)but I did have a blown primer while in Afghanistan that locked my M4 up.
That was almost 10 years ago now which is another reason I'm not sure which ammo it was. Fortunately it was on a flat range so not a big deal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TAK, this was in Vietnam before little boys like you had a Leatherman to play with.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6. When we were first issued the M-16 we were told that the little 55 grain bullet was going so fast that the bullet would blow the enemy to pieces. A hit in the arm and the arm was gone for example. I remember being told this as early as my high school science class.

I remember this and more from recruiters at high school age.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
TAK, this was in Vietnam before little boys like you had a Leatherman to play with.

I know Evil, I'm talkin' about when it happens now. And it happens more with an M4 than it did with the M16A1's you had. Broken bolts were rare as a comet with M16's, they are somewhat common with M4's. The mid-length gas system makes much more sense, but the Army HAD to have the M4 be compatible with a bayonet. Like MAJ Herbert McBride said, a bayonet is what you country gives you when they are too cheap to give you a proper pistol.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For reference, The Atlantic article by Scales, former commandant of the Army War College, may be found at this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/01/gun-trouble/383508/?single_page=true

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think you need to PM jorge's fat azz.

I will let the comment slide, as I am now a "svelte" and handsome guy:
[Linked Image]

It appears your emails all went into the SPAM folder but I have recovered them. Just let me know what you would like me to post (or not and just verify) and I will gladly do it. You really are an ass though I must say. AND BTW, some of us DO have a life, especially around the holidays, so forgive my dereliction of coming off leave just to work on your emails, especially when NMCI has a nasty habit of sending outside incoming emails with attachments into the SPAM folder.

Last edited by jorgeI; 12/31/14.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jorge,

You is one handsome sumbitch.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd just like to add that I was playing Call of Duty last night and the 6.8 was kickin' all kinds of ass.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Jorge,

You is one handsome sumbitch.

Travis

Think I ought to make this my new signature line?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 61 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.