-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer....I would have to ask if you are harvesting 250 to 300 yard deer with an aperture sight were you using a six oclock hold? Would not a 2100 yard six power shot need a six oclock hold also? German reticle? Would not the upper vertical cross hair occlude the object aimed at? Or perhaps you are being........sarcastic?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Here is what I have determine following this post. The question is how far will 6 power get you shooting a Deer? (Please correct me if this is wrong)

1. How big is the deer......Let us say a 9 inch kill zone.
2. How accurate am I set up to shoot......Let us say 2MOA

If I am in this situation 450 yards is where my scope and reticle has to discern a 9 inch target that may or may not blend in with the terrain.

If I have a better Rest and or am somehow able to shoot under 2 MOA my scope needs to clarify a 9 inch target at a further distance. Eventually I would need to consider my bullets maximum effective range for a 250 pound cervidae. (That is if the scope can discern target out to that range)

hitting a 2moa vital area on a much bigger animal is not the same as hitting a 2moa target. your scope just needs to 'clarify' the deer, and you put your retical on the vital area of said deer.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Perhaps "27 pages of posts" is the best answer to this question

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you first pass up a short shot because it was anticlimactic?

Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I passed on this goat below the first day about 30 minutes into the hunt. Could have shot him out of the truck window like a prairie dog off of the mirror at 250 yards. I couldn't do it. It would have been anticlimactic. This gentleman that my friend was guiding connected with him at 600 Saturday evening...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Sorry, I don't agree with that, today.
MM

And that is your right. If I may, how many scopes do you see shot and the approximate round counts of each per year, and how do you ascertain that they are working correctly?

I used to see hundreds of hunting scopes shot every year in training courses and currently see dozens, and have seen no sub $1k hunting variables that will consistently hold a zero no matter what and with adjustments that work correctly every single time. Very few over $1k will do it. For that matter very few "tactical" scopes will do it.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Angus,

I was indeed being a little sarcastic, since I'm not about to shoot at big game at 1200 yards with any scope.

But i wasn't kidding about shooting big game with irons at 200-250 yards. The technique depends on the rifle. Sometimes I've used an aperture sight that can be adjusted up and down just like a scope's elevation knob, but I've also used a fixed aperture.

I killed a bull caribou a few years ago at 350 yards using a pre-'64 Model 70 .270, with a 150-grain Hornady Spire point at about 2900 fps, and a Lyman receiver sight and the factory bead front sight. I sighted-in so a group at 100 yards landed 2" above the top of the bead, allowing a 6 o'clock hold to work out to around 250 yards.

Beyond 250 I figured where "inside" the bead the bullet would land, and aimed with the entire bead. I knew the bullet would land right around the middle of the bead at 350, and the bead would just about "cover" the bull's chest at that range, from top to bottom. The bullet landing in the bull's ribs right behind the shoulder.

With practice, it's really pretty easy to kill big game out to around 200 yards with aperture or even open sights, just by sighting-in about 2" above the front sight at 100 yards, exactly like a lot of hunters do with a scope. I've even killed small varmints out to 200 with irons, and if you know what you're doing, longer ranges are quite possible. All it takes is practice, just like shooting at longer ranges with a scope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your implication that I passed on the shot because of it being short range is wrong. It was because I had just drove onto the ranch from pavement and was 30 minutes into the hunt.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reading through this entire "clusterfugg", it's not hard to tell who is shooter first, hunter second, or vice versa................

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's also not hard to tell who concerns themselves the most about what other people do. Some people like to shoot a lot. Maybe even more than they like to hunt. I'm not saying rc does, but so what?

I always thought liking to shoot a lot was a good attribute for a long-range hunter. It means he's more likely to hit what he's shooting at.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by xverminator
Reading through this entire "clusterfugg", it's not hard to tell who is shooter first, hunter second, or vice versa................
X-VERMINATOR

So then.... why don't you tell us who's who.... so we can all know.

I passed on a buck at 40 yards 10 minutes into my Blacktail season this year, it would have been my largest blacktail to date.... and it was bigger than the buck I ended up shooting. I passed.... because I love to hunt blacktail.... and I didn't want to be done. Does that mean I'm not a 'hunter'?

Hunters shoot schitt..... unless they're really fast and can wrestle like Randy Couture. The two go hand in hand.... the best Hunter in the world is hungry as hell if he can't shoot.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You stupid fhuqkers are a fhuqking riot! Always wanted to see a Blacktail,which is why I bought a variable. Laffin'!

Hurricane winds and crowding a Monsoon yesterday and I only had (4) rifles wearing 6x glass in tow. Be curious to hear what a 20" Brux barreled no-turn 1-8" 6BR Montucky,squirting 105's steered with a 6X MQ and 23+ Mils remaining on the erector,will do...via the Delusions factored by you Dumbfhuqks' Imaginations and Pretend?!? Very much enjoyed the ungainly subtension Fantasies too and "all" the target area that gets covered up at crosshair intersection. Where do you CLUELESS Fhuqks dream this schit up at? Was there a Mall Ninja convention this week?!? Holy fhuqking schit,I'm crying I'm laughing sooooooooo fhuqking hard.

Cheer up,didn't have my Hummer out to much better than the 675yd line,gunning through a Lot of Elephant Loads. She'll be more static,once the McMillan hits the doorstep this next week(weather pending).

You Drooling Dumbfhuqks really get after it! Laffin'!

Could see me stabbing a 6x MQ on an Anschutz 54 and knocking piles of Myths in the head,in one fell swoop. 'Course it's easy for me,as I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and I really don't feel compelled to apologize for same.

Then again,the 6x MQ OEM Montucky SAAMI 223 wearing 42+ Mils remaining on it's erector is another SLEEPER Crowd Pleaser. Funny how it actually works and I mean fhuqking FUNNY!

Nothing funnier than Whining Clueless Kchunts,being at the mercy of their means,abilities and comprehension,extolling how "difficult" or "impossible" the mundane is.

You chicks are a riot!

Congratulations?!?

Laffin'!

Bless your hearts.

Fhuqking WOW +P+.

Just sayin'.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boxer, when my ribs crack I'm sending you the bill. laugh

Vaguely recalled is the qual in boot with one of world's best pry bars known as the M14. Peeps at 300 meters, holy targets. Weren't that hard, but it was easier with the -16. Less fuss and bother? Begs the question, if one can do that with nekkid eyeballs what can a fella do with 6X nekkid?

Lemme check with Deflave...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

25 yards

[Linked Image]

25 yards

[Linked Image]

Fuggen anticlimactic

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.22 CB shorts, 10 yards. Not the least bit boring.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On point of the discussion, and having mentioned the red dot sight earlier, crude as the sight might be, it IS capable of sub MOA precision with several of my rifles, this demonstrated at 100 yards. Some years ago there was an article in one of the Gun Digest issues regarding the benefit of higher power glass in regards to gaining precision at long ranges. The evaluation was done with one gun and many scopes. End of the day, the benefit side of the equation starts to diminish once one passes the 4X threshold as I recall. I submit that it isn't so much an issue of magnification benefit as it is user capability and methodology. Logically the red dot w/3' dot should not have great capability of precision as it obscures a fair bit of the precise aim point, even at 100 yards, much less many hundreds of yards. It hasn't slowed me down at all in context of hunting applications. Would I use it for target competition? Nope.

6X rocks.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of anticlimactic...

If the long range thing horns you up, that's fine by me. It's the quotes like this that make you look like a jack wad.

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Fixed 6x.... pretty great on a sporting rifle.... pretty schitty at a sporting rifle match.... kinda ironic.

Not really.

One bunch knows something and the other very little

When a guy with your pedigree stoops that low, it speaks volumes about the character of the individual. You're the Johnny "Football" of the fire, Rick. Tons of talent and zero wisdom.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've killed a number of more-or-less deer-sized big game animals with no problems at 200-350 yards with an aperture-sighted rifle, so figure a 6x scope should be good to 1200-2100.

Cool, my 12x should be good for 2400-4200... This has turned out swell. I Learneded so much. laugh

More dirty girly pics. Enjoy. Clear sky, day off, range bound.
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad to help! Thanks for posting the pics.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As we can see there is lots of different opinions. grin

What I can't help but notice is a real lack of 6X deer kills beyond 500yds.

Here is a short video from this years bull. 3 good hits, in the chest, at 550yds, and 2 were while the bull was moving.

14X allows the following advantages in a real dynamic hunting situation.

Positively identify which bull. The first bull was pretty nice but the bull we were waiting on is much better.

Positively ensure the background was clear of other elk as there were 40 head milling around in the timber.

Establish the right lead for the first and 3rd shots. I used 6 MOA and it is much easier to discern and be confident in the lead with more Xs. Normally I would wait for the bull to stop but I believe he was intent on chasing off the other bulls and might not have stepped back into the open.

I was back on the bull before the first shot landed and saw the jump indicating a hit. That bullet went through his ribs and would have been quickly fatal.

After the first hit it was much easier read the crosshair on his chest for the second shot and get pretty aggressive with the trigger with the increase resolution that 14X offered. Scott says in the video that I hit his horn but you can clearly see the trace run right into his onside shoulder.

The bad call is from all the crap falling from his antlers. grin

14X allowed me to clearly see the intervening limbs as the bull moved to the right and wait for him to clear before the final shot.

Uploaded in HD so you can see the trace.

While it is very possible such could have been done with a 6X it does point to some of the downsides to shooting far with out sufficient magnification.

Anybody pack 6X binos??? laugh laugh

Last edited by JohnBurns; 01/02/15.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

1 member likes this: rcamuglia
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Cool video thanks. Nice bull as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sorry to have hurt your feelings. You must fit into the category who hasn't a clue.

If it makes you feel any better, the 25 yard buck I shot was with my variable set to 6X

LOL!

Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,552
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.