Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gents,

I thought I would share my latest acquisition with all of my Winchester buddies! grin

This is a 1947 Transition configuration Type II rifle (made with closer tolerances and better finish than their later counterparts) in .270 WCF. This was Roger Rule's personal and favorite hunting rifle over a hunting career spanning 35 years. With a load of 55.5 grains of IMR 4350 using 130 grain Nosler partitions, it has 1/2 MOA accuracy consistently and often 1/4 MOA. Roger Rule had the original Transition safety changed to the Type III (winged version) safety for easier use with a scope. The rifle was originally outfitted with a Lyman 48 WJS Aperature sight, an upgrade offering as sold by the factory in 1947 when this rifle was manufactured. The rifle has a professional stock plug installed, since he did not want to upgrade the stock and lose the magic of the bedding between the barreled action and the stock inletting.

I contacted Roger Rule some time ago to see if he would be willing to sign a 1st Edition of The Rifleman's Rifle, that I had purchased. He happily obliged, and we had an ongoing series of discussions about his hunting career and rifle collection. He is a great man, and originally had zero interest in selling this rifle given its accuracy. Over time, however, his thoughts changed as his kids have no interest in rifles and he is advancing in age.

I am deeply honored and told Roger that I would continue this rifle's hunting legacy and give him updates of its use, which he was very pleased to hear.

I'm stoked to add this rifle to the family! smile

Cheers,

Eric

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wow, now thats a rifle with history. I too have enjoyed some long talks with Roger and have had him sign my RR's copies. Congrats to you on a fine purchase. Roger was very giving of his time and a joy to chat with, a treasure for sure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Eric you lucky bugger!!
That has got to be one of the great catches of the decade!
Good job and I'm jealous as f#ck right now. laugh

I like it here. They let me swear.
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I might need to buy a separate safe just for this rifle. Lol.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Extremely awesome Eric!!!! I'm glad you posted this one. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the score of a lifetime!! I know you will make Roger proud!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys! It was a stretch to buy but you know how often opportunities like this come.

It's sitting right next to your '51 30-06, BSA. smile

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That 338 will fit in nicely too. Then you'll be on the look out for a nice 375 H&H. When does it ever end...!!!???? laugh blush

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Eric, what kind of mounts are those?

BSA MAGA
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You got that right!!! Lmao! eek laugh

I may take this to TX for an Aoudad hunt this Fall. We'll see what kind of time I have after returning from this deployment.

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
German EAW quick detach mounts. Roger is a big fan.

I'll try it out and if it's too high for me I'll go with Talleys or something else to lower the scope.

Eric

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think the mounts look cool. You don't see them like that. I think it's awesome that it looks like Roger is a fan of big scopes like we are too laugh blush. I think winpoor is also the same way. Your new 270 sure is a beautiful rifle and something to be cherished...

BSA MAGA
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm definitely not going to muck with it if I can help it. I also like the look of the mounts and was happy that it was set up with a 50mm scope. Not that I need it or anything... Lol wink whistle

Thanks for the compliments on the new rifle. I think it's super cool.

Eric

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What a great acquisition for you Eric. And to have the history documented is that much sweeter.

Congrats. donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Beautiful rifle!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Great post and score. Do you like the Latigo sling? I have heard about them but never saw one in person. Thanks Ricky

Last edited by rickyb; 01/04/15.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What a great looking rifle. Low comb stocks are pure class. Earlier Winchesters had better quality wood than 50's models as all manufactures had difficulty finding good wood in the era. The fact it looks so good especially being stuck in a leather scabbard which are notorious bluing rubbers. My transitional model 30-06 I have used for 30 years sure doesn't look like that. Bluing is gone from my bolt handle and floor plate. The stock is void of finish in many spots, with the checkering worn flat. Lots of character. I threatened to tie my grandsons fingers in knots if they ever refinish this beauty.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fantastic gun and history! Im still wanting that SG NM! very best WinPoor

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Man that is a super sweet rifle. Those EAW mounts are with out a doubt the best QD mounts I have ever used. I only have one rifle with those mounts due to the price, but man they are sweet. That is a amazing story and a beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Is this the rifle that is depicted on the cover of The Rifleman's Rifle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aguyinAK
Man that is a super sweet rifle. Those EAW mounts are with out a doubt the best QD mounts I have ever used. I only have one rifle with those mounts due to the price, but man they are sweet. That is a amazing story and a beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

The guy has great taste in optics and mount.

Here is sampling what is possible.....

When I bought my Winchester I purchased inexpensive US fixed mounts reason being that most domestically made stuff is pretty much lesser when compared to European stuff. Extra money spent is money wasted. There is no reason to pay more for some fancy schmancy US-made stuff that is only "better" in minds of people who made them. The ONLY exception are QD mounts offered by the Griffin & Howe company.

Congratulations that is very nice hunting rig you got there.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (01Foreman400, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.