Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by whelennut
What reading between the lines tells me is that since the girls like less recoil and when training involves shooting at paper targets. The 9mm is easier for the girls to qualify with during training.
If they are shooting bad guys they can just double tap and call for backup.
Civilians are sheep and will just go along to get along.
A little one is just as good as a big one? Of course it is.
Yeah, 25 years of ballistics tests showing nearly identical wounds from 9mm, .357 Sig, .40, & .45 really don't mean anything at all. I'm sure you have it right.

Ask a Paramedic or anyone who work in a Trauma Center ER. Where a person is hit is more important than which pistol bullet they're hit by. A rifle or shotgun wound to center of mass is several times more lethal than any pistol is.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Fotis
The big diff is that the military can not employ HP's but only FMJ overseas (sans some covert ops).

In this case the 9mm blows and the 230 45 ACP round are clearly superior.

If the person your shooting is wearing modern ballistic neither the 9x19 NATO or the 45 ACP is going to penetrate. Carrying an M4 carbine beats any pistol

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Or an FN 5.7.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by viking
Or an FN 5.7.

Yeah...but that adds another cartridge and weapons for it into military logistics. Has the 5.7 FN cartridge been adopted as a NATO standard?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How did we get into military, this is about the FBI's choice of 9mm.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
How many people here who are proponents of the .4s and dislike the 9s have ever shot them side by side, with a timer, to see if there's a difference?

I have. laugh grin

Not so much a .4 and over fan any more.

Hits come noticeably faster from the 9MM and 124gr +P Golddots kill pretty darn well. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
read between the lines, as this is a tacit admission that girls can't handle the.40 S&W.

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
read between the lines, as this is a tacit admission that girls can't handle the.40 S&W.

That about sumsnit up. I've always held that if you aren't able to qualify/won't put the time in learning to handle the issued weapon peoficiently, then you don't need to be employed at that agency, not only do you put yourself at risk but your coworkers too

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Mmmm.... no.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really it's not. The only change is in the issue gun. The FBI has always allowed their agents to carry weapons other than the issue gun, in .38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP. If it's on their list of approved weapons, you can qualify with it, and you carry FBI issue ammunition, you can carry something other than your issue weapon.

About 6 weeks ago I read an article where they stated one of the main driving issues was the lifespan of the .40 S&W guns was unacceptably low, and 9mm's lasted much longer.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Wear and tear caused by the 40 is huge.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 6 weeks ago I read an article where they stated one of the main driving issues was the lifespan of the .40 S&W guns was unacceptably low, and 9mm's lasted much longer.

What are they claiming the lifespan of a .40 is?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
much longer than most folks will ever shoot it

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

What are they claiming the lifespan of a .40 is?

I keep hearing about the shortened life spand of .40s. But like Blue said what is it?

Three of our neighboring depts issue G22s. They have had the same guns now for 12+ years and haven't had any frame failures or otherwise broken guns. When were they supposed to start breaking. We typically get new guns every 10 years.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So durability is also a factor? Hmmmmm, who'd have thought that something other than performance would be a factor.......Bluedreaux?

I also find it interesting that bullet technology has progressed for the 9mm but somehow the .45ACP has been left behind. Smells like BS. Also interesting how the difference between the 9mm and .45ACP, in other cartridges for other purposes, is the difference between a deer/elk cartridge and a dangerous game cartridge. Perception is everything and bullshit is never more prevalent than it is with autopistol paper punchers and their theories about lethality.

After all that, I have never said that the 9mm was a poor choice for self defense. Only that it'll never be "just as good".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We shoot a lot of .40 in plastic guns and I've never seen any wear or tear (or even malfunctions that were't ammo / magazine related). You'd be hard pressed to find a LE agency in the country that shoots more .40 through individual pistols than we do.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Some folks just can't shoot a handgun well to save their life (no pun intended). 9mm, 40, whatever.

I've seen a lot of big strong Marines who could barely qualify with the M9. It's not about the amount of recoil, it's just the brain response to sudden noise and recoil, however mild. Some folks just cannot overcome it, and it doesn't have anything to do with their sex, or physical build.

Granted, for those who shoot well, I do believe the 9mm will allow faster splits, etc, than the 40. It's just physics.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Some folks just can't shoot a handgun well to save their life (no pun intended). 9mm, 40, whatever.

And this is always a factor that ANY law enforcement agency must consider. Not all officers and agents are shooters. For many it's just another tool on the tool belt and they only shoot when they have to. Which is a lot of my point. They don't make their choice based solely on what is the most effective cartridge.

If you're proficient with your .45, it would be stupid to trade it in for a 9mm 'just' because the FBI did.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We shoot a lot of .40 in plastic guns and I've never seen any wear or tear (or even malfunctions that were't ammo / magazine related). You'd be hard pressed to find a LE agency in the country that shoots more .40 through individual pistols than we do.

Right! I've never seen it happen, that said the reason PSP went from G21s to Sig p227s was FTF and frame cracks. And those guns that presented problems were brand new Gen 4 pistols, prior to that they issued G37s and went to the 21 for magazine capacity. Everyone I have spoken too says they Love the new Sig though

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My opinion,

9mm, 40, 45 are so close that if you have good defensive ammo in either, the differences in effectiveness are too subtle to mean anything.

A meaningful increase in killing power comes with the AR15 with expanding ammo, or 12 ga buckshot or Brenneke style slug.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 300_savage, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,642
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.