Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it's been a long time since Remington made M700s that you needed to take the safety off to unload. just sayin'

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Safety change. Yes, but most of their problems came after they changed the safety. My original Model 700's were around 1968 models. there have been a lot of accidents since then. Changing to the Mark X did not seem to help much.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
and an 'accident' involving a rifle that can be unloaded while on safe does not involve a certain amount of stupidity?

two thoughts here:

first, EVERY rifle I press into service gets the safety function test. comfirm empty, cycle the bolt hard (no click), put on safe, pull trigger (no click), move safety to 'fire' (no click), pull trigger (should click).

second, 40 years worth of WD-40 sludge is not your friend.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by KennyA
Some of you guys say you can't fix stupid or practice safe handleing. Well I had 2 Model 700's, a 25-06, and a 270. I turned around from every thing, pointed the rifle in a safe direction so as to unload, finger was not on trigger, pushed the safety off, rifle fired. After 2nd episode I got rid of my Remingtons. I might not be the smartest guy, but I am not sure how I could be any safer. I have 3 Model 700's now, 2 with Model 70 safeties, and a late Model with X Mark, that I replaced with a Jewell. Sometimes the rifles are at fault, and stupid has nothing to do with it. If it happens to you smart guys, you will feel stupid also.
You seem like a resonable sane guy , guessing the 700's you had an issue with were ones that locked the bolt down with the saftey on or someone did some trigger work that shouldn't have.

Last edited by ldholton; 02/07/15.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by winchester70
Sure do love my New Haven Model 70's
Proof that love IS blind.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sent my gun in 11 days ago and it was returned to my door today. That is fast turnaround with the trigger replaced and test fired. No complaints, but the trigger definetely has a different feel to it, not as crisp and seems to have a little creep. Still better trigger than I have on most of my guns so no real issue.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by toad
and an 'accident' involving a rifle that can be unloaded while on safe does not involve a certain amount of stupidity?

two thoughts here:

first, EVERY rifle I press into service gets the safety function test. comfirm empty, cycle the bolt hard (no click), put on safe, pull trigger (no click), move safety to 'fire' (no click), pull trigger (should click).

second, 40 years worth of WD-40 sludge is not your friend.

x2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The gun going off is Remington's fault. The gun going off and wounding or killing someone is the operator's fault.
There is no way around that.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guess I should send in the 721.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

As my gunsmith said....every alleged AD of a Remington trigger is:

1. Some idiot mis-adjusted the trigger.

2. Some idiot has never cleaned it.

3. The shooter accidentally hit/pulled the trigger and didnt realize it or now won't admit to it.

By the time you old ladies get done blubbering everybody will be scared to walk by the gun safe in fear those M700's will jump out and shoot everybody in the room.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[bleep] your smith. Don't fall within those guidlines. Howbout Remington [bleep] UP AND FINALLY IS COMING TO TERMS WITH IT. My 721 did go off and theres no coming to terms with what might have happened. Have 700's that i'm completely good with them.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
No 40X`s in the mix? I think it`s a 700 design, isn`t it? Is the trigger assembly different? I`ve always ASSUMED it to be a 700. Maybe I`m wrong....but my point is that in 20 years of High Power shooting, rapids, slow fire etc. not once in all that time, or thousands of rounds fired, did the rifle have an AD.
Am I indeed lucky, or are some of the AD`s killing folks operator error?
One thing I will agree with, any company is asking for trouble when an adjustable trigger is placed on any rifle, just too many people who judge themselves "gunsmiths".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
CG -

I too am skeptical and I know some 'hate' Remingtons just because.

I 'have had' and HAVE more Rem 700s than any other make/model rifles.

Since 1976 I have not been without at least 1 and most of the time multiple 700s.

Also thousands and thousands of rounds fired>>NO accidental firings OR auto discharges. So...............

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
They ain't getting any of mine!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I don't see where they mention the 721. Any help with that?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Talked to a reputable guy the other day who had a contract with somebody to see if he could get a remington 700 to discharge accidentally. He said he filled the action with as much grime dust, dirt, mud etc. many times. After getting the action thoroughly gummed up,...sure enough, when closing the bolt on a loaded round, it discharged. It completely soured him on remington 700 actions. This really bums me out as I was considering doing a custom build on a 700. I am still not sure what I will do.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 02/21/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Talked to a reputable guy the other day who had a contract with somebody to see if he could get a remington 700 to discharge accidentally. He said he filled the action with as much grime dust, dirt, mud etc. many times. After getting the action thoroughly gummed up,...sure enough, when closing the bolt on a loaded round, it discharged. It completely soured him on remington 700 actions. This really bums me out as I was considering doing a custom build on a 700. I am still not sure what I will do.

I'd probably build on a Remington action and try to clean it every now and then.

I'm bad to clean my stuff when it its gets dirty, I'm crazy like that though.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
RatherBHuntin
So you are saying you would build a custom rifle abuse the crap out of it and think it was the rifle problem because you never cleaned or took care of it. You would not upgrade the trigger when customizing? Anything man made can be broken if you try hard enough.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Does an aftermarket trigger eliminate the 700 potential to fire upon closing the bolt? I know the previous experiment is overkill but just wondering if the company trigger is the problem?

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 02/21/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The problem with Remington 700 series triggers is sort of like an urban myth that everybody has heard about, but nobody actually knows anybody who ever actually had it happen.

Since there are millions of Remington 700 series rifles in circulation and, as with any mechanical device produced in a high volume production environment, there is almost certainly going to be some built-in rate of error. With so few problems and so many units in circulation, the probability of any one person coming in contact with a flawed unit is very small, probably less than 1 problem trigger in every 100,000 units.

Picture it this way: You buy $1,000 in U.S. pennies, 100,000 of them. Throw 99,999 of them on your dining room floor along with 1 Canadian penny. How many pennies do you have to pick up before you find the Canadian penny? Better odds than winning the Powerball/Megamillion lotteries, but damn long odds all the same.

Or so it seems to me.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.