Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not a huge fan of salmon, but here in West Michigan occasionally get some fresh salmon out of the big lake. I prefer the grill method ironbender mentioned above, but I add a little butter.

When you guys do salmon patties, is it from fresh salmon??? Or???
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

When you guys do salmon patties, is it from fresh salmon??? Or???
Tim

From vac packed fillet'd salmon. Thaw, skin, scrape fat, then my wife picks out the pin bones. Then she'll cube and put in a food processor (raw) and lightly shred it up. If you overdo it has a weird texture to it. Then mix it with whatever she does. Bread crumbs, celery, etc. Then she pan fries the salmon in a little olive oil till done. Crispy on the outside. I can eat a pound of king that way. We eat king 2x a week all year, so we have to be creative.

My wife made some halibut last week that was cooked on some bok choy. Not sure what was in it all, but it was the best halibut I've eaten to date.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Now my stomach is growling at me.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My wife loves Halibut, so we eat it often.

Halibut corn dogs are one of her favs.

[Linked Image]

Great simply broiled.

[Linked Image]

Buffalo Halibut is quick and easy and eat your fingers tasty.

[Linked Image]

Spot shrimp from PWS is another of our favorites.

[Linked Image]

Happy to share how to if anyone is interested.

Steve

Last edited by 1sgStephen; 02/11/15.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
smile It doesn't take -60 to make the oven my friend instead of firing the grill. If the Good Lord had wanted me to cook outside in the cold of winter, he should left more hair on my head!

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, those all look awesome & mostly, self explanatory, however,.....................................................

I'd be interested to know more about the "buffalo halibut", please.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm assuming buffalo halibut "nuggets", but have been known to be wrong before !

Paul.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
I'm assuming buffalo halibut "nuggets", but have been known to be wrong before !

Yes Sir, nuggets of halibut tossed in buffalo sauce.

Dice the halibut in 1 inch cubes trying to keep them the same size. Season some flour with your favorite spices and also dust the halibut chunks. Cheeks work great!!!!!

Toss the chunks into the flour a few at a time and then place them on a wire rack, let them sit 10 minutes or so to allow the flour to soak in and also to allow the halibut to come to room temp. While the halibut is soaking up the flour coating bring a skillet up to med high heat with a small amount of grape seed oil or peanut. Grape seed has a high smoke point.

Saute the halibut being careful not to over cook it, just as it is done being careful as the sauce will flash, pour in enough buffalo wing sauce to give them a good coating.

Toss in the skillet to evenly coat and serve hot.

Excellent served with a cheesy dish, like mac and cheese or cheese grits.

Steve

Last edited by 1sgStephen; 02/11/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Steve !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen
[Linked Image]

Steve

Cool, I'll take a couple of kilograms !

whistle

Paul.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Smoke it. Then separate the meat and bones flaking the meat. Mix with cream cheese to make a spread and store in a Tupperware bowl . Delicious on a toasted onion bagel or roll sprinkled with dill

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like to smoke my collars and add it to some cream cheese, them stuff some cucumbers or smear it on some wraps and cut into smalls for parties or starters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or top an avocado baked with an egg and smoked salmon.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Microwave whole fish on high for 5 minutes. Let stand for one minute and then eat. Sounds crazy but it is delicious.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 1sgStephen
My wife loves Halibut, so we eat it often.

Halibut corn dogs are one of her favs.

[Linked Image]

Great simply broiled.

[Linked Image]

Buffalo Halibut is quick and easy and eat your fingers tasty.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Steve

Could I get some details on those halibut corn dogs??

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes Sir!!!

Halibut Corn Dogs

Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients
Halibut Corn Dogs:

Salt
1 lb Halibut Fillet
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour plus 4 tablespoons
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 cups buttermilk
1 ear of corn cut from cob and creamed
1/3 cup grated onion
1 roasted jalapeno (roast under broiler remove place in plastic bag to steam, peel deseed and finely dice)
1 tablespoon honey
Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying

Aioli:

Zest from 2 lemons
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cups mayonnaise

Garnishes:

Paprika
Chopped fresh chives
Chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

For the halibut corn dogs: Allow the fish to warm up to room temp, if it is COLD the crust will get done before the fish. Slice into strips about one inch wide and 3 inches long. ). Skewer the halibut strips, using the 4 tablespoons of flour, season and coat halibut with flour and spices and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

Combine the cornmeal, flour, 1-teaspoon salt, baking powder, baking soda and cayenne in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, creamed corn, jalapeno, onions and honey. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix with a whisk. There will be lumps when done. Pour the batter in a container. Use a drinking glass or other deep vessel to make battering easier.

Preheat the oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F.

Dip each skewer into the batter, making sure to coat evenly. Carefully drop into the fryer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and let rest on paper towels for 2 minutes to cool so the aioli doesn't melt off.

If they are browning before done,, finish cooking fish in the oven.

Keep warm in preheated oven at 250 until all are cooked and ready to serve.

For the aioli: In a blender, puree the lemon zest, lemon juice, shallots and garlic. In a bowl, fold puree into mayonnaise and place into a squirt bottle.

Drizzle the lemon aioli onto the halibut corndogs, and garnish with paprika, chopped chives and cilantro.

Enjoy!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Few photos..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
Microwave whole fish on high for 5 minutes. Let stand for one minute and then eat. Sounds crazy but it is delicious.

+Yup! smile

That was a favored way to make a quick slab of fish in my bachelor days. I'd give a $10 bill for a frozen sheefish which had been dumped in a pile on the floor of the local store's outdoor warehouse. When I wanted fish, I'd saw off a cross section of an appropriate thickness, press the frozen gut-puck out of the cavity section, set it on a plate with a blob of butter in the cavity, and microwave. Simple and yummy.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 02/21/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a pretty big fan of taking a fillet, putting some pats of butter on it, sprinkle some lemon pepper, then covering with slices of fresh or jarred jalapeños. Cook it skin side down until done. Serve with some cucumber dill aioli. We also eat homemade salmon patties quite a bit.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All I ever do is bust it down one side of the spine and put it skin down on the BBQ.

My favorite is to take the above leftovers and fry some patties. Onion, egg, worstecher , horseradish old bay and whatever other seasonings you like.

The other is smoked. Tried a bunch of fancy recipes but the best one was the old school simple one that came with the little chief smoker believe it was salt sugar and water. The key to good smoked salmon is to use quality fish. Lot of people think you can smoke a nasty old Gatored dog salmon and then wonder why it tastes like crud. If you wouldn't throw it on the q don't put it in your smoker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got me a 8 pound red thats fixin to b cooked up to day....what ever happened to that 1sgtstep guy ? Was he diyguys bother ? Lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (5sdad, 673, 300_savage, 1minute, 35WhelenNut, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,863
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.