Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
This is a good article from someone I wouldn't question very much on internal and external ballistics. There are no downsides to faster twist rates in this modern era.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/02/does-barrel-twist-rate-affect-muzzle-velocity-litz-test/

from the article:
After all the smoke cleared, we found that muzzle velocity correlates to twist rate at the rate of approximately 1.33 fps per inch of twist.

In other words, your velocity is reduced by about 5 fps if you go from a 1:12” twist to a 1:8” twist.

Now, I wish he would redo his test with multiple bullet weights.

edit to add:

Looks like he did.

http://store.appliedballisticsllc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0004

Last edited by RWE; 02/12/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Will a barrel twisted 1-8" burn out faster than the same barrel twisted slower?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Tell me where I'm wrong? Seems it's all you long winded bastards that haven't the first clue.

Facts don't need many words.

First of all what passes for "facts" in your world really amount to nothing more than speculation and guessing about what people other than yourself "know". And I think you are clever enough to mask a lot of your own inexperience by not saying too much.

Second,your delivery of glib one liners are designed to insult and belittle people and comprise the overwhelming majority of what you post,as if everyone is stupid except you.I think you do it to make yourself seem superior somehow. Bullies behave that way. I get that you don't happen to enjoy what I post on here....that's too bad. I don't "like" what you post either. You've never taught me anything I don't already know,and you're insulting to boot....not a great combination. wink

It's easy to toss out insults and one liners that don't communicate very much. You do it a lot and profess shear genius is in the brevity....you think this fools people. It doesn't.

I don't know how old you are and don't care;since you're retired you aren't all that far behind me. But you comment on this fast twist thing like you invented the concept...as Pathfinder says you aren't the only one who knows about it.

I had Krieger build a number of fast twist barrels in 270, 7mm, 30 caliber,35, and 375 starting back in the 80's and continuing right into the 90's....8-9 in 7mm and similar in 30,12 in 35,and 10 in 375.So I have an understanding of what they do and don't do and the benefits,since I loaded and shot, and hunted with about every single one of them.You may have been in high school at the time?

yes, I am aware that increased twist does not, of itself, increase pressures,at least as near as I can tell. If it did I likely would have blown up a rifle or three by now.

Here right now I have barrels in 6mm/8 twist Bartlein, 7mm/ 9 twist Brux, and (just arrived) 10 twist Krieger 375. I assume they would meet your approval? Be glad to send you a photo if you don't believe me.

I am not sure how any of this moves me into the Old Fart/Clown class but you have your own ideas about me; I have my own ideas about you,too.

I don't know what your problem is since you don't communicate very well. You don't like Bansner stocks? Ever own at least one?

Ever even seen an Ed Brown action?

If you read what I posted, you might see that I said a fast twist would be a good idea in light of recent bullets...I also said this is not "new" although you might think it is,since many cartridges ,other than the 6mm's have morphed into a faster twist in response to bullet development. The 7mm Weatherby cartridge moved from a 12 twist to a 10 twist because it would not stabilize 160 gr bullets of the day. The 270 Weatherby also went from 12 to 10.This may have happened before you were born but I'm not sure.

All that said,and as Pathfinder points out(I know that he has considerable experience actually killing BG animals) the success or failure of a hunt rarely if ever boils down to what twist is in your barrel. You need a faster twist to stabilize longer bullets....I get it...many of us do.

So I would suggest you get some of your "facts" straight before you declare them etched in stone. I know i asked you this before but if I am not mistaken you've never killed any BG animal at much past 300 yards. Not sure I got a response because I rarely if ever go back to see what you said a second time. I have to deal with people like you sometimes in my work....I sure don't want to be bothered with them in my time off.

If I asked you what time it is, you'd tell me how a watch is made.

I've watched enough of your bullshiet over the years typing many a word about items you've never used.

I'm sure there is much to be learned from Yankees like you and RD. Can't wait for tales from the Pines.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by moosemike
Will a barrel twisted 1-8" burn out faster than the same barrel twisted slower?

No.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are we having a bad day?

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by xp100
Are we having a bad day?

You wait, next he will be giving advice on women.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Okay thanks. I had read somewhere that faster twisted barrels get shot out quicker. But you can't believe everything you read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Tell me where I'm wrong? Seems it's all you long winded bastards that haven't the first clue.

Facts don't need many words.

First of all what passes for "facts" in your world really amount to nothing more than speculation and guessing about what people other than yourself "know". And I think you are clever enough to mask a lot of your own inexperience by not saying too much.

Second,your delivery of glib one liners are designed to insult and belittle people and comprise the overwhelming majority of what you post,as if everyone is stupid except you.I think you do it to make yourself seem superior somehow. Bullies behave that way. I get that you don't happen to enjoy what I post on here....that's too bad. I don't "like" what you post either. You've never taught me anything I don't already know,and you're insulting to boot....not a great combination. wink

It's easy to toss out insults and one liners that don't communicate very much. You do it a lot and profess shear genius is in the brevity....you think this fools people. It doesn't.

I don't know how old you are and don't care;since you're retired you aren't all that far behind me. But you comment on this fast twist thing like you invented the concept...as Pathfinder says you aren't the only one who knows about it.

I had Krieger build a number of fast twist barrels in 270, 7mm, 30 caliber,35, and 375 starting back in the 80's and continuing right into the 90's....8-9 in 7mm and similar in 30,12 in 35,and 10 in 375.So I have an understanding of what they do and don't do and the benefits,since I loaded and shot, and hunted with about every single one of them.You may have been in high school at the time?

yes, I am aware that increased twist does not, of itself, increase pressures,at least as near as I can tell. If it did I likely would have blown up a rifle or three by now.

Here right now I have barrels in 6mm/8 twist Bartlein, 7mm/ 9 twist Brux, and (just arrived) 10 twist Krieger 375. I assume they would meet your approval? Be glad to send you a photo if you don't believe me.

I am not sure how any of this moves me into the Old Fart/Clown class but you have your own ideas about me; I have my own ideas about you,too.

I don't know what your problem is since you don't communicate very well. You don't like Bansner stocks? Ever own at least one?

Ever even seen an Ed Brown action?

If you read what I posted, you might see that I said a fast twist would be a good idea in light of recent bullets...I also said this is not "new" although you might think it is,since many cartridges ,other than the 6mm's have morphed into a faster twist in response to bullet development. The 7mm Weatherby cartridge moved from a 12 twist to a 10 twist because it would not stabilize 160 gr bullets of the day. The 270 Weatherby also went from 12 to 10.This may have happened before you were born but I'm not sure.

All that said,and as Pathfinder points out(I know that he has considerable experience actually killing BG animals) the success or failure of a hunt rarely if ever boils down to what twist is in your barrel. You need a faster twist to stabilize longer bullets....I get it...many of us do.

So I would suggest you get some of your "facts" straight before you declare them etched in stone. I know i asked you this before but if I am not mistaken you've never killed any BG animal at much past 300 yards. Not sure I got a response because I rarely if ever go back to see what you said a second time. I have to deal with people like you sometimes in my work....I sure don't want to be bothered with them in my time off.

If I asked you what time it is, you'd tell me how a watch is made.

I've watched enough of your bullshiet over the years typing many a word about items you've never used.

I'm sure there is much to be learned from Yankees like you and RD. Can't wait for tales from the Pines.

Sometimes we have to speak slower for our less equipped crowd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by twofish
Also, it would be great if somebody would be kind enough to send me a PM about the Kimber group buy please.

Thanks,

twofish

I believe it is a MRC group buy. And it is posted in the Hunting Rifles section.

Travis

Gracias,

I have perused the MRC thread and am watching. I thought someone mentioned a Kimber group buy that was on another board somewhere.

Prolly dreamed it.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Did it not suddenly get purty quiet?!? I was patiently awaiting more Vagina Monologue from Clueless Fhuqking Windowlickers,extolling how "bad" reserve RPM is and the retrospective on how they've been launching Ping Pong Balls through same since day one. I'll feign my "surprise",that once those most glaring of dots began to connect,they largely shut right the fhuqk up.

Funny how facts work...and I mean FUNNY!

Seriously? A "group buy" on a Kimber?!? ESPECIALLY one wearing more RPM?!?

Those things don't shoot.

Laffin'!

Wow.

I'll send me a PM.

Re-laffin'!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Listen to you all crying in the corner ^ lol its not that its quiet quite a bit of decent discussion actually, its that no one especially the OP wants to bother responding to your diatribe. Go get your crayons and write some more on your rifles maybe that'll make you get noticed or at least keep you busy smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You Whining Clueless Kchunts are fhuqking hilarious! You oh soooo very nearly said something about The Rifle and I'll feign my "surprise",that even someone as fhuqking stupid as you...KNEW better. Laffin'!

Mebbe shoot Ms. Reed a PM and clap your itty-bitty hands a little more,so as to beat the drum to receive an autographed Ping Pong Ball from The Hollywood Hunter!

You'll wanna re-read what I said,take notes and apply same.

Hint.

You've been led to water,PLEASE make a "stand" and refrain the refreshment,then wax eloquent on those "satisfactions".

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Wow +P+.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hey Boxer. You may well be the smartest guy in the room but your are an absolute horse's ass. GFY. You have graduated to the top of my ignore list.

Hint,
Play on, playa!

Laffin!

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those saying Bubba don't worry about twist thus the mfg shouldn't - you will be in for a surprise when we're mandated to go monometal - no lead. Makes bullets longer for like weight.

Bubba, who believes bullet performance starts with what WEIGHT is listed on the box is going to be surprised how much twist will matter then and THEN we'll see some cryin'

Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
UFO Nig,

I'll feign my "surprise" that all you could muster through your quivering lips and trembling hands,was a poignantly poetic Vagina Monologue obliviously flaunting your Window Licking "abilities" and a quain't "stand",culminating in the highly vaunted Imaginary Pretend Ignore ploy. Absolutely fascinating Dumbfhuqkery! Congratulations?!?

What next? Are you going to hold your breath and stomp your itty-bitty feet,while screaming (1-14" rocks!...1-14" ROCKS!). Laffin'..you AMAZINGLY clueless dumbfhuqk!

Who chews your food for you?

Wow.

PS and by the way,when you read this,keep in mind that you "can't" reply,as that would of course steal the "thunder" from your Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Bless your heart.

Pardon my shooting a smidge.

Laffin'!

teal,

It IS funnier than fhuqk,that the Brain Trust at Legend'...couldn't sneak up on a glass of fhuqking water or reliably pour piss out of a boot,but wanna convince Joe Average that they got "it" going on. HILARIOUS!

BEST part is,Joe SUB-Average is swooning the Dumbfhuqkery!

With twist,throating and COAL in one's hip pocket,the concessions are none and the inherent advantages well beyond copious. The fixation on "weight" is indeed funny and beyond moot. I keep waiting on a SD expose too!

Odd...that none of the Crying Kchunts lamenting reserve RPM,have cited what chambering(s) they shoot,in which rifle(s) and which boolit(s) are being flung. I wonder if that might could mebbe perhaps pinpoint the fact,that the very notions they lament,are the long standing processes they've been doing...less a single fhuqking clue?!?(grin)

Schit don't get any funnier than this.

EPIC thread!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was glad to hear the Ed brown action was being made again. I have had very good luck with them. My favorite elk rifle has an Ed brown action,lilja barrel and a rimrock stock. It is nice rig.

I also owned a Ed brown Damara rifle which I foolisly sold. It was also a really nice gun.

So I'm pretty happy about the new rifles,sounds good to me.

On the subject of twist,they should be offered with fast twists
that will handle modern high bc bullets. The 243s should be 1 in 8. the 6.5s at 1 in 8. the 270s 1 in 9. Al 7mms should be no slower than 1 in 9. The 30s 1 in 10. That would pretty much cover it except for the lightest varmit bullets,and these rifles are big game rifles not heavy varmit rigs anyway.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by teal
Those saying Bubba don't worry about twist thus the mfg shouldn't - you will be in for a surprise when we're mandated to go monometal - no lead. Makes bullets longer for like weight.

Bubba, who believes bullet performance starts with what WEIGHT is listed on the box is going to be surprised how much twist will matter then and THEN we'll see some cryin'

The "Bubba" theory is one of my most favoritest.

I've yet to see "Bubba" turn down a Ruger American due to a 1-8" twist. And I've yet to see "Bubba" bitch and moan about his 1-7" AR.

"Bubba" doesn't know twist rates from a wife beater.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Boxer
UFO Nig,

I'll feign my "surprise" that all you could muster through your quivering lips and trembling hands,was a poignantly poetic Vagina Monologue obliviously flaunting your Window Licking "abilities" and a quain't "stand",culminating in the highly vaunted Imaginary Pretend Ignore ploy. Absolutely fascinating Dumbfhuqkery! Congratulations?!?

What next? Are you going to hold your breath and stomp your itty-bitty feet,while screaming (1-14" rocks!...1-14" ROCKS!). Laffin'..you AMAZINGLY clueless dumbfhuqk!

Who chews your food for you?

Wow.

PS and by the way,when you read this,keep in mind that you "can't" reply,as that would of course steal the "thunder" from your Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Bless your heart.

Pardon my shooting a smidge.

Laffin'!

teal,

It IS funnier than fhuqk,that the Brain Trust at Legend'...couldn't sneak up on a glass of fhuqking water or reliably pour piss out of a boot,but wanna convince Joe Average that they got "it" going on. HILARIOUS!

BEST part is,Joe SUB-Average is swooning the Dumbfhuqkery!

With twist,throating and COAL in one's hip pocket,the concessions are none and the inherent advantages well beyond copious. The fixation on "weight" is indeed funny and beyond moot. I keep waiting on a SD expose too!

Odd...that none of the Crying Kchunts lamenting reserve RPM,have cited what chambering(s) they shoot,in which rifle(s) and which boolit(s) are being flung. I wonder if that might could mebbe perhaps pinpoint the fact,that the very notions they lament,are the long standing processes they've been doing...less a single fhuqking clue?!?(grin)

Schit don't get any funnier than this.

EPIC thread!

Dear Mr. Boxer. I really tried to stay away but I needed someone to laugh at and for whatever reason, thought of you. So, I'm back. I read your post. Man, you're a smart guy. Must be pretty cool to have all that knowledge bottled up in one noggin. You carry on, I'll just stand by watching and learning from the master.
Oh, I almost forgot. You're funny, too. Really funny. I like that. So, please do continue.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You wanna see something really funny, go to Youtube, type in Busheler in search. Then you will get to see the lil fat troll (Boxer) Talk about lil man syndrome, he's got it!! He's just a keyboard warrior who talks alot of schit on the internet. Must have got picked on alot as a kid. Total jackarse.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chris68
You wanna see something really funny, go to Youtube, type in Busheler in search. Then you will get to see the lil fat troll (Boxer) Talk about lil man syndrome, he's got it!! He's just a keyboard warrior who talks alot of schit on the internet. Must have got picked on alot as a kid. Total jackarse.

I've been here a long time. I've seen a lot of posts by Stick. I've seen a lot of people attack the guy and he holds his own.

At the end of the day:

He's yet to ever lie to me, he's never not answered a PM with great information that was absolutely spot on and worked the way it should. He's always answered even the most basic of questions.

In other words - if you're not an idiot, you'll get a long just fine with him. Ask honest questions, try out the answers and report back. Haven't seen anything not go as he said it would.

Lest you think I'm riding his jock - my preference tends to go towards wood/blue Rugers topped with whatever scope is on sale.

Don't own a Kimber, don't own a 700 (do use one of my father's - DBM model) and I've never ordered a super chicken. I've never fired a TSX or Skinner in anger. Though the TSX will be changing.

Bout the only thing we're 1 to 1 on is that the 105 Amax is one wicked sumbitch.

Me

Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (222Sako, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,335
Posts18,506,080
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.