Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I am interested in comments from those who actually use or have used this scope for hunting purposes.

How do you like it ?
Any issues with it holding Zero?
Any issues with use in low light,30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown in hunting conditions?

Obviously I am asking about this scope only and not interested in scope comparisons.

I Have heard that the VX1 is essentially the same as the older Vari X II.
Is that correct?

Thanks
Craig

Last edited by bcraig; 02/21/15.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Optically speaking, I believe that the current VX-1 is the same as the later/improved 2005-2011 vintage VX-II.

I have several Leupold 3-9x40s, from pre-1974 Vari-X to VX-1. My VX-1 3-9x40 is the shotgun version with a heavy duplex. It is on a Savage 220 20 gauge slug gun that I use to hunt deer in Iowa.

To answer your three questions:

1. They're OK
2. No
3. Not with the heavy duplex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed a lot of stuff with 3-9X40 Leupold scopes in Vari-Xii, VX-I, and VX-II models without a criticism on my part. They're not chic, but they work quite well.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
got one on a Savage 99 in 284 win, nothing wrong with it that I have ever discovered. lets me see as early as I want to get up and lets me stay long enough to stumble out in the dark.
bullets always seem to go where the hairs cross if I figure the yardage right and I didn't have to take a second mortgage to buy it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Craig I've been thinking of buying one myself lately and putting it on my little 250Ackley. I have to think they're better than whatever's in second place in that price range. powdr

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No - I do not use a VX 1 3-9x40 for hunting.

I do, however, use a 4-12x40 VX 1 for hunting.

Based on this:

Do I like it? Yes.
Any issues at zero retention? No.
For low light, I would want, in fact am going to get, a Heavy Duplex.

Summary -

I would, w/o hesitation, recommend a Leupold VX 1 3-9x40 with HD for hunting.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think the new VX1 3-9x40 is the best scope value out there.

I used two of them this past deer season and they performed perfectly.

Have never had a problem with the old VX II scopes , nor these new VX 1 scopes holding zero.

As for low light capabilities, I was leaving the deer stand about 5 minutes past legal shooting time this past December when I saw a dark "blob" about 45 yards out. Couldn't make out what it was with the naked eye. Picked up the rifle, looked through the VX 1 and could clearly see a doe and two yearlings. Plenty of low light capability 35 minutes after sun set!

Liked those two scopes enough that I bought another to put on whatever rifle I get next. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of them, the VX-I and VX-1 were my son's entry level hunting scopes.

I do like them, I have never had an issue with holding a zero and I have no complaints with low-light performance.

I don't think there is a better value out there right now than the VX-1.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have had two of them. They upgraded them in the middle of the time that they have been available. I had one with the older coatings, one with the newer coatings (Multicoat 4).

There was a very noticeable difference between them when comparing side-by-side. The newer coatings were clearly brighter and lasted longer at lowlight.

I sold both. If you want a brighter scope, save another $75 and get up to the new VX2 with even better coatings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife and daughters guns carry this scope in the older vx-I in 2-7x33 they are just fine for shooting past legal light never had a zero problem. My daughter shot a bull elk this year more than a half hour after sunset at 280 yards with hers. one shot right were she wanted it. Best scope for the money imo

IC B3

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the input guys

I have tried the heavy duplex and while It was ok I didn,t like it as well as the standard Duplex.

Although there are brighter scopes than the VX1 it sounds like the VX1 is bright enough .

I am getting a VX1 with standard duplex.

Thanks again for input from all
Craig

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For myself, I replaced a VX1 with a cheaper Weaver K6 and things got all kinds of brighter for me. May get flamed for saying it but certainly was evident in the field. Better adjustments too. If possible save up a bit more and get a VX2 if you can. You will not regret it. I bought "bright enough" my first cope and have been going brighter with each subsequent one. Wish I would have just saved the money I spent on my first and applied half of that to get better.

If you already have the VX1 and want to use it go ahead, It isn't terrible, but don't go in the field with it cranked up max power. Leave at 5 or 6x and I think you will be happy.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I will try it when I get it and see what type of target /reticule resolution there is 30 Minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after setset.I will try it from 3x to 9x.

Then I will get back with the forum and let ya know how it works for me.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have four and my dad has three or so. It's what I use, period. I have other brands and variables but when all is said and done the VX I, Vari-X II is what I end up looking through. As far as I can tell they are the same thing and I have yet to have one fail. My dad put one on a high power air rifle and that supposedly screwed it up do to the recoil on the air rifle???? I guess the piston on an air rifles recoils the opposite way and screws with scopes designed for rifles. That was the only mishap in 40+ years and I haven't been all that nice to them. Some have been beaten harder than others depending on what rifle they are on but none have disappointed. I'm not sure if you can get target turrets installed on them but that isn't all that important to me as all my shots are 300 yards and under. At that distance turrets are a waste of time IMO.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good choice. I like mine and it suits me great at 55 with 20-20 and no magnification needed so it should be the cat's delight if you are younger.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Wish I were younger ! I am 55 just like you

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sometimes I do too. But I can't complain.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have a couple VX1 3-9x40 scopes that I mounted on my rimfire squirrel hunting rifles and for the money they are hard to beat, I have no complaints with mine, as has already been said the VX 2 is a noticeably better optic and well worth the extra $75..........Hb

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes I realize the VX2 is a better scope.
Do you believe you could kill more squirrels with the VX2?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The vx1's glass suck.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,585
Posts18,473,398
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.