Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don’t have a VX-1.

With the newer scopes, glass gets better. I see less difference between VX-2 and VX-3. IMO, more difference, older VX-II and new VX-2.

DF

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not sure, but I think the VX2 might have the blackened edges on the lenses. Both it and the VX1 show to have the indexed lenses though.

I wanted to buy a VX2 in 3-9x40, but being as they’re discontinued couldn’t find one.
So I settled for a VX1 3-9x40 that I got on clearance for just under a hundred dollars to go on my Mark II .223. It was supposed to be 109 I think, but they knocked off another 10% or so because it was a display and I didn’t get the box and sticker, but did get the rubber bikini cover. I think it’ll work for me just fine.
Click adjustments is a nice upgrade over the friction adjustments on the older VX1 and VXII from the past. And I like it better that the VX-Freedom. And at the price I paid I’ve got no complaints.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think you did OK.

The newer scopes have a lot better glass than the older ones.

I remember the Weaver MicroTrac, which had a good rep for repeatable adjustments.

But, compare the glass in that 30 yr old scope with your VX-1 and you'll be amazed.

Even a cheap Chinese scope is a lot brighter than those old Weavers.

We thought they were pretty good back in the day.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
VX-1's work fine for me but I don't shoot deer at night.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bcraig
I am interested in comments from those who actually use or have used this scope for hunting purposes.

How do you like it ?
Any issues with it holding Zero?
Any issues with use in low light,30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sundown in hunting conditions?

Obviously I am asking about this scope only and not interested in scope comparisons.

I Have heard that the VX1 is essentially the same as the older Vari X II.
Is that correct?

Thanks
Craig

The VX-1 was the same as the VX-II.

Although I have a VX-1, 3-9x40, I actually haven't used it hunting nor compared it to my VX-2.

But I also have latest production VX-1 and VX-2, 2-7x33's and have compared them a number of times in various conditions. Their is not much difference in their performance. Bright light in the open, dusk looking towards and away from the sun, standing in bright light looking into dark timber, I can see fine with both. Yes, I can sometimes tell a small difference, but most of the time not enough to MAKE a difference when it comes time to shoot something. I thought the VX-1 were a fantastic bang for the buck. If one can get past the industrial look of the VX-Freedoms and their shorter mounting distance, they offer as good or better value, IMHO.

I've had VX-II's or VX-1's on my son's 243 since he started hunting, and he has killed his critters under a variety of light conditions running the gamut without complaint. Of course, I concede he does have young eyes............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I think you did OK.

The newer scopes have a lot better glass than the older ones.

I remember the Weaver MicroTrac, which had a good rep for repeatable adjustments.

But, compare the glass in that 30 yr old scope with your VX-1 and you'll be amazed.

Even a cheap Chinese scope is a lot brighter than those old Weavers.

We thought they were pretty good back in the day.

DF

Spot On. I kept trying to convince my buddy to replace his ancient Redfield and he just wouldn't do it. I showed up at his ranch with a Weaver K6 I had taken off one of my rifles and just past dusk asked him to pull out the Redfield and check out a great Pyrenees meandering his field about a hundred yards away. I made sure he was at 6x. He said he saw a whitish shape. I handed him the K6 and had him look again and he nearly fell over. Could not believe what he was seeing. He said he could see every feature on the dog, including the collar and tag and then said loudly "Whoa" I can see my neighbors' old lady in her house several hundred yards away. I promptly went about mounting that K6 for him as a gift. Since then I helped him buy a new new rifle and found a Bushnell 4200 for about $175 that I mounted for him. He used it to kill a huge Eland past sunset that had wondered on to the property. No way does he make that shot with the older Redfield. Competition in the optics world has been a great thing.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
No deer in history has ever been killed by a logo.

Uncounted millions have been killed with guns topped with tasco, simmons, bsa, low end bushnell, and many others.

Decide your budget and the configuration you want, use Froogle and/or other shopping bots, get what you want and go kill something.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,903
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.