Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If you're gonna rework the stock, cutting the comb down is no "hill for a climber". Just cut and try until it fits. I think John did similar to his .416R, IIRC...

DF

GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yeah, but that's just part of everything else: quarter rib, banded front sight, barrel band swivel stud, etc.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Quarter ribs hinder scope choices, objective size. Other than how they look, I don't know if I'd spend a bunch of money having one fitted. Just me.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/24/15.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yeah, go ahead, rub it in. Just rub it in! grin

I agree, except there are times when the scope really isn't all that helpful and a front F/O sight is perfect: like just before O-Dark-Thirty in brush that limits visibility to about 10 feet.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

Have you looked at the NECGW site? They offer to do most, if not all of what you want. They're not cheap, but certainly cheaper than a Dakota, and you can continue to use your faithful Zastava.

I would also sugfest you go to a LGS and take a look through a low-powered variable with a lighted aiming point. They are very nice. Leupold makes a few with 1" tubes, and lots with 30mm, starting at about $450 online. The Trijicons are very nice too, but are pretty high.

I think a gentleman of your "vintage" will sooner or later find a scope better for even the close work you seem to get.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
NECG iron are what I'd do. You have room for scope objectives without compromise of sight quality.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/24/15.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Mike,

Have you looked at the NECGW site? They offer to do most, if not all of what you want. They're not cheap, but certainly cheaper than a Dakota, and you can continue to use your faithful Zastava.

I would also sugfest you go to a LGS and take a look through a low-powered variable with a lighted aiming point. They are very nice. Leupold makes a few with 1" tubes, and lots with 30mm, starting at about $450 online. The Trijicons are very nice too, but are pretty high.

I think a gentleman of your "vintage" will sooner or later find a scope better for even the close work you seem to get.

I've been on their site. They certainly supply what I'm looking for. I currently have 3-9 illuminateds on both the Zastava and MRC, a 2.5-8 VX3 on my M70, and a 1.5-5 VX3 on my No. 1. The thing about using the open sights is when I'm in brush after something that isn't quite down yet. It doesn't happen often, but I've had to go in a time or two. Frankly, a shotgun is about the best thing in those quarters, but I don't normally carry two guns.

And no, Elk, I'm not going to start looking for a drilling!! grin

I appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations. I'll figure it out.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I swapped the photos to show a VX-3, 2.5-8 on the M-70 375 H&H and the NECG irons, including the fiberoptic front with "windowed" hood. To me, that's the way to go with irons.

And, you see the scope objective isn't compromised like with the Champlin and Haskins 7RM photo. Other than looks, I see no practical benefit to a quarter rib and don't like the downside of limited scope choice. This C&H wasn't an easy rifle to scope. I had to look long and hard for a 1" scope, long enough to fit these custom QD rings. There weren't many options and I would never build a gun like that. Traded for that one, built in the '70's by the late Len Brownell, wood and metal including the QD rings. With that provenance I was limited, making the gun fit the scope. I had to find a scope to fit the gun.

My advice: Don't go there...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Browning A5 Buck Special stuffed full of Breneke Black Magics!

I watched Pigman take on a wounded (arrow) pig with a hicap 9 once. I think he used all of 'em!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I watched Pigman take on a wounded (arrow) pig with a hicap 9 once. I think he used all of 'em!

I'd prefer a rifle. Not too keen on slugs...

DF

IC B3

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

I have a short barrel M870 that will bark out some buckshot at close quarters.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Folks:

I'm thinking really hard about one of these. Any opinions?

[Linked Image]

Mike

The for end is much too long and it doesnt have a British name.

P.S. You've got two less pigs to hunt in Florida.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ingwe! Glad to see you're still amongst the living. Ok, first, the forearm is 9.5 inches from the front of the action, one inch longer than Rigby used. The reason, from what I understand, is that the Mauser floor plate has a steeper angle than the Dakota, thus allowing for more rake and a shorter fore end. As for the British name, hook a brother up with about $30k and I'll fix that!

Second, any pictures of the pokers? How'd the AI fare?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The 30K can be had at a nominal rate of interest cool

The223AI is undefeated in the pig killing fields thus far. Pics to follow once I get home in a few days...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Glad to hear. Any size to them? Did you eat them yet?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
they were eaters, one was 70 pounds and the other was 60. Ate the little one last night.He was good but I gotta say after 17 pigs in Texas last year...Im tired of pulled pork ( which was the easy way to fix it for friends as Im traveling...)

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
The 30K can be had at a nominal rate of interest cool

The223AI is undefeated in the pig killing fields thus far. Pics to follow once I get home in a few days...
What,you're the mob now?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Everyone likes pulled pork, but I'm like you. It doesn't take long before I'm saying, "Again?"

Marinate some over night in some mojo sauce, put it in a crock pot, cover it with the rest of the mojo and cook it until the meat falls apart. Spoon it over some mashed potatoes or rice. 'tain't bad.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The mob charges more than a nominal rate. Im a businessman... whistle

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like it in tacos al pastor or as pork carnitas.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.