Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Prob'ly goes a long way towards explaining why we're best friends grin

Why we're best friends? Lock your wife and your dog in the car trunk and let them out after an hour.

Which one is happy to see you?

I would do that to my dog, that would be cruel to lock him up anywhere with my wife

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Have any long motorcycle trips planned with your old KLR650 in the near future?

Mark, I have come to the realization that, fer me anyways, bicycles are much, much cooler.... cool

[Linked Image]

....OTOH I can get from here to New York like thirty-one days faster on a motorcycle than I can on a bicycle grin

But no, I would not take the ol'KLR that far again, just too many old parts likely to need attention/replacing somewhere along the route.

Maybe when I get a new bike.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BS. Pass by a spot where they bounced a rabbit a year ago, and they will bee line over to check that precise spot.

1Minute
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
That Drudge report is pure bull pucky as any non- druggie dog owner can tell you. It's a gross mid-interpretation of behavior as pointed out above. If the dog didn't remember/ recognize the "pack member" from before why the hell would it be happy to see him/her?

I have stories... Including delayed rememberances on the dog's part where he went ape-[bleep] with delight several minutes after reassociation.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My dogs remember more things than I do.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This researcher has stupid dogs and that
means more research bucks for him.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm no expert, but I think there's a heck of a lot about dogs that we can't fully explain. I had a springer that I used to give rawhide bones to, he'd run with it all over the property, and eventually come back without it. After a while, I'd ask him where his chew was, he'd sit down and start "thinking", then off he'd go and be back with it in seconds. He knew where it was, he didn't have to look for it, he'd beeline right to it. He was a smart dog, pretty sure he knew more about me than I knew about him.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The OP report is a bunch of horseschit. My dog remembers plenty.

Often times much better than I do.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dogs remember better than many voters.

That's for damn sure.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our JRT "knows" when we are a couple blocks from homes of family members 100+ miles away we may only visit 1-2 times per year.

I have deliberately taken different routes to their homes, and it's still the same result. When we are within a quarter mile or so it's like the GPS unit beeps and she's on full alert.

Dogs amaze me.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
Dogs remember better than many voters.

That's for damn sure.

Priceless. shocked

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I put on a certain pair of shoes the
dog knows we're going for a walk.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I know of at least two examples of dogs "going home."

A family took young mutt with them to grandmas house 70 miles away. Dog disappears from yard in afternoon, they search till dark and the kids are heartbroken. Dog is on front step next am.

Client sold a 2 yr old coon hound to a guy that lived west of Lincoln, NE. A couple months later the dog shows up here, we're 100 miles east of the Missouri river. That 200 mile trip took most of a week IIRC.

Dogs amaze me.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Last summer I sort of took a liking toward a little dog I often see out wandering around town on my regular trips to the post office and store. I started giving it dog treats and sometimes a meat bone or can of dog food when ever I see it. Now it comes running when it sees my vehicle. I thought it was pretty amazing how it only took giving it treats a couple of times for it to know my vehicle among all the other white vehicles around.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the guy was full of caca, probably dog caca. It said it all to me when he said he walked into the back yard and the dogs were happy to see him. Yeah, if you were in the back yard ignored all the time.
I have had probably 15 golden retrievers through the years and i live with two of them now.
this morning max, the boy dog, was kind enough to move over on the bed so i could get under the covers.
He was horrible mistreated as a puppy and is a rescue dog. He remember a lot.
My girl princess is sitting beside me right now and barking/growling etc. Could have something to do with her knowing i will share breakfast with her.
our dogs have always lived with us, not in the back yard. They are experts at reconizing emotions and behavior. My guys also alert at humans. If they seem to think there is a problem, there probably is.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
About as valid as Deflave - possibly joking - saying dogs do not exhibit jealousy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't buy it, either.

Read a good book few years ago on dog psychology/research, and while it was fascinating and did explain the how/why of many dog behaviors that made sense, it had a chapter claiming the same about dog memory, and I'd say bullchit for all the reasons already mentioned.

Too, I wonder how breed may influence this observation. Also, how do we define "memory" in a dog? Does the dog percieve an instictual or gut-feeling associated with a past experience, or does it experience a replay of that experience, lush with full color/sound/smells/emotions as we might? I don't know. Is the study saying they have remote memory, but not short-term? That makes no sense.

I do know it's remarkable how much a dog remembers. They know you've turned onto the road headed to a favorite place. They know you've hidden an object at play (and surely don't forget). My sheepdog has an keen aversion to guns of all shapes/sizes; she knows where I keep them and she won't enter that room to save her life. If I carry a gun to another room, she watches from afar and won't go in that room until I take it out. She needs no "reminding" or "re-experiencing" to remember that.

So no, I've never seen a dog living a "50 First Dates" life.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
About as valid as Deflave - possibly joking - saying dogs do not exhibit jealousy.

Jealous dogs?

You should see my lap dog when the grandkids visit.

Book it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My dog knows instantly if I "cheated on him" by petting another dog. He gives you that same look you get from your wife that just found lipstick on your collar... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
doggie divorce is temporary however, and a lot less costly.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,761
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.