Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 26 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 25 26
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Im thinking the Lord said something about being baptized by fire. (See, He even predicted the Campfire).

So, I have to think He referred to someone who believed in Him and stuck with believing in Him no matter the adversity, would be saved without water baptism.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/21/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TF49
Re: Ehrman

Here is a quote by an author who goes on to expose the inadequacies of Ehrman scholarship:

"Bart Ehrman’s Misquoting Jesus seeks to fill a market niche by being a book written for people who know nothing about textual criticism."

TF

Your quoted author also said:

"There is much that is true and correct in this book and which should cause constructive reflection amongst those who believe in the verbal inspiration of Scripture."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Im thinking the Lord said something about being baptized by fire. (See, He even predicted the Campfire).

So, I have to think He referred to someone who believed in Him and stuck with believing in Him no matter the adversity, would be saved without water baptism.

When a person writes about another person, they are drawing" word pictures" of that person. When several people have written about the same person, the picture gets larger and has more detail.

Even without my friend Ken's knowledge of the languages of the bible, it's ridiculous to believe that Jesus established an unyielding protocol that must be followed before we could avail ourselves of the Abundant Life He provided for us. That idea just don't fit the picture.

After all, He's the One who condensed all the Law and the Prophets into two simple commandments, and reserved His harshest criticisms for those who added all sorts of rules and regulations for His people.

Water baptism, like ALL the other sacraments and creeds, are for the benefit of believers who are so inclined, not commandments of God.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
krp,

Did Christ ever baptize with water?

John 4:1-2
"Therefore when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John. (Although Jesus Himself was not baptizing, but His disciples were)...."

I'll let you decide.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570

Water baptism, like ALL the other sacraments and creeds, are for the benefit of believers who are so inclined, not commandments of God.

If Jesus told His disciples to do something was it a command or suggestion?

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Why are you asking me?

Ask Him.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570,

Sorry, man, I addressed it to the wrong person. It should say krp.

Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Does Christ personally baptize?

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570,,

It looks like another mistake. You mention something about the sacraments. I was directing the question to you because you brought it up.

Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Ringman
curdog4570,,

It looks like another mistake. You mention something about the sacraments. I was directing the question to you because you brought it up.

And he told you you were asking the wrong person... Ask 'him'...

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bibliolatry, bibliolatrist, n. —bibliolatrous, adj.
/bib'lee ol"euh tree/, n.
excessive reverence for the Bible as literally interpreted.
[1755–65; BIBLIO- + -LATRY]

(Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary)

id est, undue regard for the Bible itself — especially as privately interpreted.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By Ringman
curdog4570,,

And he told you you were asking the wrong person... Ask 'him'...

Kent

I read where Jesus told His disciples to "Do this in remembrance of Me." Is that a command or suggestion? Do we have a Bible student who will tell me what they think?

Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Command? Why are you adding adjectives to verse if you claim it's literal?

Kent

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by TF49
Re: Ehrman

Here is a quote by an author who goes on to expose the inadequacies of Ehrman scholarship:

"Bart Ehrman’s Misquoting Jesus seeks to fill a market niche by being a book written for people who know nothing about textual criticism."

TF

Your quoted author also said:

"There is much that is true and correct in this book and which should cause constructive reflection amongst those who believe in the verbal inspiration of Scripture."

A couple of comments:

Ehrman begins to get lost when he shifts from a critical examination of the texts (he is a textual expert) to interpretation of what the textual variations mean and their impact on theology. It is here that Ehrman breaks down. His unusual and biased conclusions regarding true textual difficulties is where critics of Ehrman have a heyday. While an expert in the technique, he goes astray when he derives philosophical conclusions that are not supported.

From a critic:

“It's natural to assume that an expert in a very specialized field is also an expert in general. That's a mistaken assumption, however. Dr. Ehrman's work has been invaluable to me as a check to my particular prejudices, but I would not take any of it without critical examination. His style of writing in his popular books allows him to move very subtly from his considered opinions on the history of the text to his less reliable opinions on the consequences of that history. This unfortunate tactic prevents me from wholeheartedly recommending Bart Ehrman's books.”

`
TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
krp,

Command? Why are you adding adjectives to verse if you claim it's literal?

I didn't add anything. I asked a question.

Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He will never answer. He has no opinion to post. I gave up on him after he revoked my salvation. Ignore is my friend. grin

I do remember some quote I remember reading somewhere about stiff necked people. I think you may be dealing with one. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
bibliolatry, bibliolatrist, n. —bibliolatrous, adj.
/bib'lee ol"euh tree/, n.
excessive reverence for the Bible as literally interpreted.
[1755–65; BIBLIO- + -LATRY]

(Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary)

id est, undue regard for the Bible itself — especially as privately interpreted.

Great point.

Bibliolatrist posting on this thread blindly sinning against the God that he so fervently wants to cleave unto.

Irony

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Scott F
He will never answer. He has no opinion to post. I gave up on him after he revoked my salvation. Ignore is my friend. grin

I do remember some quote I remember reading somewhere about stiff necked people. I think you may be dealing with one. grin

I got him in a bind, his other problem is he can't comprehend written word... I still don't think he knows who him is.

Let alone a verse...

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
krp,

If you apply the Words of the New Testament to us today, you find your answer here.
Matthew 3:11
"He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."

Everyday Hunter
Page 15 of 26 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,124
Posts18,502,421
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.