Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I swore I would not buy one but cant buy another NF right now in the like configuration, so what is the 411 on this scope? I am looking at the 2-10x44 MOA/MOA. It's going on an AR, so recoil will not be an issue. Worst case I can return it when it arrives if I don't like it, thanks.

Good Shooting!
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have 4 of the PST's, 3 of the 6-24's, and one 4-16. I haven't had any issues out of any of them. I have them on a 338 lapua, 338 edge, 7mm RUM, and a 308. Glass to me is good not great, turrets are nice and positive, and repeatable. I haven't really used the illuminated reticle, but it's there. Lots of features for the money, don't think you can go wrong with it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There are the haters and the lovers. The one I had just went back for the second time yesterday. Not sure if FedEx broke it or the repair shop but the IR would not light up once I got it back.

For the money, they are feature packed for sure. I figured it was the 7# 300 Winchester that broke it but seeing as jmupt has them on an edge and other heavy kickers, maybe not. If i were determined to put a Vortex on a heavy kicking rifle, I would go with the Razor myself. The AR shouldn't ruin that scope.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Great scopes for the money. I have 4. The only negative I have with them is in low light / looking into the sun they wash out. Once they get that figured out they will be hard to beat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I run a smaller PST on my 375Ackley brown bear rifle and there have been five brown bears in three years that really developed a dislike for them.

None of my Vortex stuff has been an issue, ever. The IR battery cover occasionally needs a slight twist to seat the battery. Vortex says the O-Ring is sized to be very tight intentionally for waterproofing.

Speaking of water-proofing, a friend borrowed a Crossfire from me and it went to the bottom of the river when the air-boat flipped. It took a week to recover it and it is fine. The glacial silt had to be washed off with a pressure sprayer but there is no sign there was ever an issue.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have had two HS-Ts and an PST. They are all gone, never to return.

I felt they all had mediocre glass, at best. They do have some decent features, but overall, underwhelming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The glass on several I've had and played with has been equal to the VX3 counterparts I've had sitting beside them...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Jordan, I don't disbelieve you, but you must have seen the best PST's that have ever been made. I see three to four different ones a month and they all have the same issues. They all fail. Usually they fail right out of the box on a tall target test. They all have glass that is... Ehhh. Their owners usually love then when they first get them and despise them by the end of the first day.

Have personally had two Razor HD's catoatraphically fail in 6 months.... 4 in the last year.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have one a 2-44 MOA. It is equal to the vx3's that I have. The lighted reticle works good, tracks well, and I like the zero stop. BUT I can't use it. The switch for the lighted reticle is on the left side and every time I work the bolt fast I open up my left thumb. Otherwise it's a good scope. Sometimes being a lefty sucks.

So mine in for sale

Lefty C

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Jordan, I don't disbelieve you, but you must have seen the best PST's that have ever been made. I see three to four different ones a month and they all have the same issues. They all fail. Usually they fail right out of the box on a tall target test. They all have glass that is... Ehhh. Their owners usually love then when they first get them and despise them by the end of the first day.

Have personally had two Razor HD's catoatraphically fail in 6 months.... 4 in the last year.

I have owned and/or played with several different models of PST, as well as VX3's, and the PST's have all had at least VX3 image quality, some better. It's crazy that you see that many PST's fail. The one that I've put through the ringer the most had some of the most accurate adjustments I've seen in a scope (less than 0.5% error), and held up to a lot of dialing while always tracking correctly and RTZ properly. That included some abuse, as well. I ended up sending that PST back because of a spec on an internal lens, and took the opportunity to upgrade to the Razor at the same time. But that scope never failed. The other PST's didn't fail, either, but they also didn't see as much or as hard use as the first.

Which model were the Razors that failed on you in the last year? I'm guessing 1-6, mostly?

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe I am the oddity....but the glass in either of my Mark AR (VX2) scopes is considerably better than that of the PST or HSTs I had. This opinion was made by comparing them side by side, and verified by others.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,578
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.