Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When my Father passed he left me a Burris Signature Safari 6X and it is all that the 6x42 Leupold is and I like the duplex reticle as well if not better. It does weigh a few ounces more but it is one heck of a scope. powdr

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
I use a bunch of Leupold straight sixes, one 6x36 and several in 6x42.

For their size, weight, and cost they provide a lot of performance. Bright and clear, nice eye relief characteristics w.r.t length and being noncritical, and reliable zero holding.

Could not agree more.

Mathman,
Do you wear reading glasses yet?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes, unfortunately. Inexpensive "cheaters" off the rack.

Last edited by mathman; 04/22/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Thanks guys that helps. Sounds like I would be good either way but would have a bit more cake left in my pocket and mounting freedom with the FXII. I am wanting to go this route on my next light weight coyote/hunting rifle.

Has anyone used or still using a Burris 6x? I know they are out of production but could still get my hands on one of those.
I have one with a #4. I paid about $200 and am very happy with it. Love the reticle. Glass is excellent. Adjustments ok but a tad bit mushy. Been using it for years and like it too well to replace it. Weaver K6 is cheaper and has better adjustments but overall I prefer this one thinking that the cost differential is about what it ought to be. No reason at all I would recommend against getting one if you can find it.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bcraig
I have used the Leupold 4x M8,Leupold 4x33,Leupold 6x36 and they all work just fine
But so do the Leupold Variables .
I like the higher power of a 3-9x40 but like the durability
of a fixed Power.
Thing is I have never had a problem with a Leupold Variable !
So the fixed power advantage is theoretical for me.
When I go hunting I always have a second rifle(Mauser 8mm JS guild rifle with a Leupold M8 4x) in camp anyway
IF I should have a scope or rifle problem

I used the same logic for many years, then had a variable lose its zero while hunting. You guessed it - missed a good buck, figured it out later on target in camp. Then used backup rifle, but never saw that buck again.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GF1
I have used the Leupold 4x M8,Leupold 4x33,Leupold 6x36 and they all work just fine
of a fixed Power.
When I go hunting I always have a second rifle(Mauser 8mm JS guild rifle with a Leupold M8 4x) in camp anyway

I used the same logic for many years, then had a variable lose its zero while hunting. You guessed it - missed a good buck, figured it out later on target in camp. Then used backup rifle, but never saw that buck again.

Just curious what brand scope was the Variable and what ended up being wrong with it ? How was it repaired?

Thanks

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
JLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've read this thread and about every other on the 6x's. I'm convinced to go the 6x route on my next setup as I pretty much leave my variables set on 6x and love the concept of a fixed power on a no frills hunting rig. However, I'm still toying with which model.

Primary use will be treestand whitetail hunting with a mix of woods, ag fields and power lines with shots up to 400 yds. Secondary use will be the occasional Western big game trip for antelope, elk and mule deer.

I've narrowed it down to the Leupold 6x36, 6x42 and the SWFA 6x, though honestly I'm leaning toward the Leupold camp and adding an M1 elevation turret.

Anything to add that hasn't already been stated based on how this particular rig will be used (pros/cons/etc.)? Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have a Burris 6x just sitting around that I picked up in a trade.

I've tried to like a 6x but can't get used to it. I just like more power for shooting paper or steel,and less power for hunting in the timber. Most of my shots at game are less than 50 yards or more than 200;a good variable just works for me.

Anybody need a 6x Burris,could be free to a good home?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I have a Burris 6x just sitting around that I picked up in a trade.

I've tried to like a 6x but can't get used to it. I just like more power for shooting paper or steel,and less power for hunting in the timber. Most of my shots at game are less than 50 yards or more than 200;a good variable just works for me.

Anybody need a 6x Burris,could be free to a good home?

Free to a good home ?
Well then I can definetly use it !
Just let me know where to send shipping cost .

Last edited by bcraig; 04/23/15.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Not criticizing Leupold. Do you prefer them to the brighter, clearer optics such as Swarovski?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Not criticizing Leupold. Do you prefer them to the brighter, clearer optics such as Swarovski?

I have several Swarovski scopes, and the brighter, clearer aspect isn't nearly the big deal some would have you believe. BTW, I came to that conclusion before I began wearing cheaters to read small print.

One of mine is a fixed 6x42 Swarovski that's a very nice scope, but I was able to buy it at a practical price. Side by side with an M8 6x42 it does show superior resolution looking at stuff on the 300 yard board at the range. In the field it hasn't been a practical advantage.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GF1
of a fixed Power.

Just curious what brand scope was the Variable and what ended up being wrong with it ? How was it repaired?

Thanks

It was a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8; Leupold fixed it, for free of course (I don't recall the specifics of what was replaced). Not a dig on Leupold here, as I'm sure they are as good as any and better than most. FWIW, I also had a Swarovski NOVA Habicht 3x9 get a case of wandering zero, though it didn't wreck an important shot.

Last edited by GF1; 04/23/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
GF1
Thanks for the info.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I hated to do today I replaced my 6x Redfield with a Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 Dead hold BDC, it was mounted to my Pre 64 M70 264 mag, my old eyes just need more help today. I just might mount the old 6x on one of my other rifles that are mounted with a 4x.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happily ran all models of 6x. My 6.5x47L 20" has a 33mm M1 sitting atop now. Fits nice smile
PRM - yes CDS/M1 will go on 6x's

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,032
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.