Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hey guys,<BR>Why is college such a pain? I was thinking of this last night, is it because you are not required to go to college or is it something else. I know the girls are what keeps me going to college, and I figure the more the education I have the better I'll be right. the first year was fun, but with my second year closing in, I am not to thrilled about it. why? any body that can answer this and give advice, go for it.<P>86

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
youngbuck- Hang in there. The sophomore year is tough. Courses like microbiology and organic chemistry will weed out the deadwood quick. In the long run it will pay off. I inspected Mississippi State University on Monday and Tuesday. Boy, are the kids getting younger or am I getting older? Ouch. Have you declared a major yet? And hunting is not a major. Try wildlife conservation... Bob

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Enrique, I just graduated from university a year ago so I'll give you my perspective. If you aren't that eager about the upcoming year it is probably because your first year of university was the toughest you will have. Think about it, university is very different from high school so on top of working your butt off just to do the work you also have to learn how the game is played and how to give professors what they want. I'm quite sure you will find your second year to be more comfortable and by your third and fourth years things will be smokin'. As long as you have a good work ethic and keep yourself organized the rest will take care of itself. As for me I had to benefit of going to a small Canadian university where I could leave class at the end of the day and be out hunting within 40 minutes -- quite theraputic!<P>Good Luck,<P>Chuck Fraser

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
College a pain?<P>You are going to be paid by one thing and one thing alone - knowledge. Embrace the fact that you have the opportunity to go to college. I wish I had 4 years and the money to go back to college. Given the opportunity I would love to go to MIT for 4 years, or more. <P>As I have gotten older I realize more and more the use of a sound eductaion. You can never know to much. I didn't have the opportunity to attend college out of high school. All the college funds were spent on my older brother. I didn't go to college until I was 26 years young. <P>If you are having problems, ask for help. There are a lot of people more then willing to help. <P>I wish you well,<P>Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>P.S. Knowledge is power.

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
youngbuck,<P>These words kept me going....hope they help.<P>"They can take away all your posessions but they can never take away your eduction."<P>...meaning "things" can be taken away from us at any time from a fire, accident, law suit, etc. but if you have smarts and the ability to think intelligently you can do anything you put your mind to.<P>Focus my friend, school is a good thing.<P>Look at it his way you could be outside digging a ditch in the scortching sun making minimum wage.<P>(...and yes the chicks are much hotter in college than "out in the real world") [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Like others have said Sophmore year is the hardest, bite the bullet and trudge through it. It gets better once you cross this hurdle.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I work at a community college in Idaho and remember my own days at college when I was much younger. I remember them as some of the best days of my life ! The friends, the sports, the fun, the education, gaining the ability to think critically, and yes, the girls. Enjoy your days at college. If you by-pass these days, you may never have the opportunity again !

Rolly
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You definitely want to stay and finish. It's much tougher to be away for a while and then go back. Full-time jobs and your family make it difficult if you put it off. Good luck, Troy.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I understand how you feel. I am almost a senior now and the summer before my sophmore year I didn't want to go back either. <BR>All you can do is suck it up and go along. We will be greatly rewarded when we get out. You can get a job without a college diploma, but it might not be what you want when you want. Just hang in there and like they said before you will be breezing through you junior and senior years. Just remember to have fun with it. Ryan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
jeez..<BR>what I would give to be 19 again, and know what I know now...<P>take this advice carefully.. study, drink beer, bang chicks, study, bang chicks, hunt, bang chicks, take the summer off, bang chicks, hunt a little, study about bangin chicks... and don't forget to change the chicks about every 3 weeks, cause the new ones are better than the old ones...<P>and just remember this thought when you see the most beautiful woman in the world, that somewhere somebody is sick and tired waking up with her every morning,,,<P>you'll NEVER get this opportunity again...

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
N
N
Getting a degree is TOUGH. If it wasn't, everyone would have one, right? Why is it so tough? Because the educators make it tough. That's how life is...TOUGH. I personally think there are other routes that will prepare you equally for life, but you must chose a path and decide, will it be education and degrees that you prosper from or will it be sweat and hard work? Otherwise, the alternative, I suppose, is welfare...which by the way is easy as pie...but not very rewarding. When your young, your focus is on day to day activities, survival, fun...what ever. As you age, you think more and more about future. It starts with tomorrow...where will I go tomorrow, then next week, then next year then all of a sudden your planning for retirement. If you start thinking about retirement now...what would you want it to look like. How can you fund THAT dream? Maybe that will make college more palatable. And really, what your doing now is trying to find a way to make it more palatable, not a way to make it easier...cuz there is no way to make it easier in the long run.<P>Nate

I like to ask question as if to make myself appear stupid...that way, I avoid all posibilities of being held responsible!
IC B3

C
C
Well youngbuck, I can kinda feel for you. I'm getting ready to start my senior year at UNCW as a biology major. I'm just a bit older than you though. I started college when I was 28, after 10 years in the Marines. I've been where you are. I've been taking 12 to 15 hours per semester, and 8 hours per semester in summer sessions. Yeah, it's hard, but anything worth doing usually is. Here's a neat mental excercise to keep you motivated. Think of the worst possible job for you to have. Now imagine yourself doing that job, for a meager paycheck, with no chance for advancement, for the rest of your life. Every time you start getting bummed out about school, just think,"Well, at least if I stay in school, I won't have to get THAT job."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thermometers have degrees..... and you know where people STICK THEM! sorry, I just couldn't follow along with everyone else. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
youngbuckaz86:<P>Are you going to ASU (hopefully) or that other little school in Tucson that ocasionally claims to be a university? <P>Things are changing so fast that everything that you learn in college will be obsolete by the time that you graduate. You are going to forget it all anyway. Father Guido Sarducci can teach you everything in five minutes that you will remember five years after you graduate.<P>College is a pain because it's not really the education that you are after. Success in college proves that your are worth hiring in a responsible position. It proves that you are self motivated, responsible, determined, reliable, reasonably inteligent, etc. The more difficult the college, the better proof. It also proves that you are trainable. And your first employer is going to teach you what you really need to know to do the job.<P>KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
youngbuck- KC hit the nail on the head. I graduated in 1984 with a degree in Microbiology. I put in an application at the local Nuke plant and they told me to come back in an hour for an interview. I never used the micro degree and within a few years I was making over $60K a year. That degree shows that you can be trained for the job they want you to do. Hang in there. Bob

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A great man once told me this bit of sage advice, I took it to heart because he never said much that was not important. He was advising me on my future, before I went into the service and before I was in college.<P>"You can work yourself to death while you are still young OR you can work yourself to death when you are old, it's up to you."<P>It basically means, do all you can right now to prepare yourself for your future, study long and work hard! You are young and can handle it, when you get older you won't be able to. Learn it, do it, bust your butt now so you can take it easy later. <P>It has been about 16 years now since I have been given that bit of advice, and I can safely say I will not have to work myself to death when I am old.<P>By the way, don't forget to take some time for yourself right now. You'll never regret it, just keep the end in mind!<P>I look back now when I was in college and wonder how I did it. I went to UNCG 3/4 time, and had 2 part time jobs, and was in the Navy Reserve doing my duty.<P>College is also teaching you one thing. It is not teaching you answers. (what! why do I have to learn all this crap!!) It is teaching you how to FIND the answers! Nobody has all the answers, but the one who can find the answer will be the one they look to! You want to be the one they look to.<P>Hang in there! TRUST ME! IT IS WELL WORTH IT!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
YoungBuck: Dude you think school/college is bad? Welcome to the real world. Wait till you have to get a crummy job to "make do" sometime and have to drag your butt out of bed early each morning for that? No cute girls in shorts. Just a bunch of fat grumpy old ladies and other guys like you that hate having to get up and work each day.<P>If you choose your vocation around what you LIKE to do not what makes the most money etc.. you can have a lifetime of happiness. With or without college.<P>I AM NOT SAYING TO SKIP COLLEGE. Just that it does not guarantee future happiness. You need to pick a vocation you will enjoy dedicating your life to. Many of those choices will require a college education in a competitive job market like we have today BUT you will end up having not a "job" but a lifetime of happiness. <P>And if your lucky maybe one of those cute college girls to share your life with. The good ones are called "soulmates" for a reason.<P>I know many college grads that hate their jobs/life as much as you seem to hate college. But funny as it may sound most would'nt trade their college days for anything? <P>I love life. I live every day to the very fullest. If I'm not having fun, I change it so that I am. I am lucky that I enjoy what I do, and make enough that I don't have to work much. I am currently taking the summer off to spend time with my 12 year old daughter. What a very grand way to spend the summer huh? Lucky? Maybe. But I worked hard to get to this point also.<P>Good Luck to you son. You have a grand adventure awaiting you called life. Treasure every second. Because no one is promising you a tomorrow. Live each day to the fullest. Have no regrets. You will be happiest if you grow old (not up) and can still enjoy the simplest things in life.<P>Clouds. Cool mountain mornings. The taste of a brook trout cooked over a fire streamside. Sharing time with a lifelong friend. Holding hands with a child. Choclate chip cookies. Teaching a boy to be a man. Fishing with a old cane pole and a bobber. And a soul mate to share your triumphs and defeats. And yes it wouldn't be life without both.<P>May your future be bright. And I wish you all the happiness my life has held.<P>And may "The Force" be with you.<P>Now get your butt back to school and quit whining (grin) I'M JUST KIDDING BUD !!! Man you kids are sooooooooooooo sensitive these days (LOL)<P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You can do what these guys tell you or try my way: I went for a year and a half, then dropped out for nineteen years. Now I'm pushing 40, trying get a degree, and supporting a wife and two kids. It's a lot easier at your age than mine. Okie John.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
jeez,<BR>just call mommy and ask for another $20 for beer money...

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Steve: I wish I had had your mommy. I had to work my way thru school. Some of us didn't get to "do" college the way you did. I worked full time with full loads. What a bummer. My mom made 1200 a month after having to go back to work at age 45. Most of us don't have it handed to us that way. Or am I wrong ? <P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put 4 years in the military before college and then enjoyed school so much that it took me 9 years to get out. I never felt like I was aging at all in that window. Those were some of the best and most worthwhile years I've had. Being brilliant is fine, but just hanging in there will get one through too, if they are sincere in their efforts. The 2 best things I learned were: 1) where to look things up; and 2) that learning is a joy and one should do it every day. I've been in the same job for 22 years now, and going to work is more fun everyday. Advice that's helped me in lots of instances is; just hang in there another 5 minutes and things will eventually work out. In short, don't ever quit. I had a mid term D in chemistry once and was going to drop the course. I couldn't run down my advisor to sign the paper work that day, stuck with it, and ended up with an A at the end. All those years were spent in the natural sciences, and I have a tough time getting around out side, because there's too damn much to look at and savor out there.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.