Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 63 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 62 63
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just got back from the range and took the Stag out for the first time. Don't have the same targets as you guys but I think wareagle said anything is fine so long as the rules are followed.

Shot a few different types of ammo but 75gr seemed to be working best so went with that for the groups.
Stag model 6
SWFA 16x
SWFA SSALT mount
black hills re-mfg 75gr

[Linked Image]
pic of the range kinda sucks i know but its 100 yards
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1.238+1.191=2.429
2.429/2=1.21

Last edited by Certifiable; 05/14/15.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Mathsr,

Notice the sift in POI between your two circled 5 rounds groups? It doesn't matter how close together the first five are if those five shift on the target (which they will). If you continued to fire five round groups you can take it to the bank that a 2+/- inch group will appear where those ten rounds groups are now.

To put another way- it looks like the circled five are a bit less than an inch? If you hung a target as big as those five, would you hit it every single time?

No, I wouldn't. But I would be very close with the first few shots, if not on and I am good with that. It isn't a target rifle and wasn't planned to be. It is shooting much better than I expected with such a light weight barrel and the few loads I've been able to try in it so far. I will watch to see if the groups shift POI in a significant way as I continue to shoot it.

Harry
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think my first shots are better than my last shots, after 50 or so rounds of concentration my eyes tend to get a bit blurry...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I noticed my older eyes starting to get blurry earlier this year. I don't eat nearly enough fruit and veggies but just happened to start taking a good multivitamin. Within a couple weeks after starting up on the vitamins, I noticed I was not having the vision problems so I plan to keep up with that and do better on the fruit/veggies.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not only the vitamins there are specifi eye vitamins, and there is sugar involved in vision, maybe eyeball will comment..

I recall something about drinking natural fruit juice before shooting long range, nothing involving sugar and some difference between fructose and somethign else...

It made a HUGE difference as I was having a vision issue around shot 12-15 of a 22 round match. THat got rid of that issue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS we were mostly shooting 88 shots at least in a match... that can wear you out, plus the heat and packign your gear back and forth to boot. Having had heat exhaustion from shooting more than once... Seeing stars ain't a good thing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice shooting Certifiable.

Mathsr,
Please put a set of calipers or a ruler over one of those groups for reference.

Current Rankings:

Optics:
1) Certifiable: 1.155 MOA
2) wareagle700: 1.246 MOA
3) BGunn: 1.265 MOA
4) Formidilosus: 1.787 MOA
5) Mathsr: 1.928 MOA
6) TWR: 2.308 MOA

Iron Sights:
1) wareagle700: 167-0x (3.320 MOA)

Last edited by wareagle700; 05/15/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
He may or may not have an optics issue, if worried about the heating, I"d just shoot 3 shots, let it cool some, shoot 3 more until I have 10 in the group.

That should answer if its barrel heating or not.

A good barrel, even a light one, should not walk like that.

OTOH it can also be a function of recoil, body position, NPA, and HOW you are looking through the scope, even though it shouldn't matter with optics, it can matter with optics.

IMHO without a correction on the knobs, I'm amazed that a scope would start to wonder some after a few rounds. That kind of shift with irons would be an NPA issue all day long.

But since I have never really shot optics other than on deer rifles a few shots here and there, you should know more than I for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mathsr
The rifle is a Rock River Arms lower with a Mega Billet side charging upper. It has a Daniel Defense 16" LW barrel with a 7 inch twist. I have a Leupold VX-3 3.5X10 scope on it using Burris PEPR mounts. The forarm is rifle length made by Troy.

This rifle usually has the first three shots touching or nearly touching. The next two usually make a 5 shot group that measures between .5 and .6 inches. I've never shot it for a 10 shot group before and wasn't surprised when it opened up to around two inches. I don't know if the problem is the barrel getting hot because it is really light weight or not, but I suspect that it might be mostly the shooter losing concentration.

[Linked Image]

The average group size is 2.02 inches. I'm not surprised or disappointed. I'm also not going to change anything because I look at like the danger zone with this rifle increases as the barrel warms up. I circled the first five shots of each group just to see what happened to the rest of the string as I shot.
[Linked Image]

Range and Daisy the wonder dog.
[Linked Image]

Rifle on the bench

[Linked Image]

Ruler on the group. It isn't what the group was measured with initially, but it is as good as I can do from the house. Did I forget anything else? I'm trying my best to lock down last place and want to be sure I get it right! smile
[Linked Image]

Harry
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Updated the rankings, thanks.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks wareagle.. And thanks for this thread as well. It's cool to see what rifles other guys are using and how they've got them set up.

Like I said that model 6 is new to me and yesterday was its maiden voyage..I shot about 80 rounds including the two tens for this thread. It didn't like either 50 or 60 gr vmax, But did well with 69, 75, an 77 gr bullets, with a few groups just over 1/2" in those weights..

I'll get it back out soon and see how things shake out. My brother just took delivery of the same rifle albeit set up a smidge different so I'll show him this thread as well.. I can't imagine I'll be at the top for long with all the truly experienced shooters here, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!! grin

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This chalenge was done with my .308 AR. The rifle has a 17" rifle gas Lilja barrel, SLR gas block, JP LMOS bolt group, and Geissele SSA-E trigger. The ammo used was factory Hornady 168 HPBT Match. I don't know if it was me pulling the first shot, the way I loaded the first round, or jerking the trigger but the first round in each group flew left of all the others. Looks like I had a lot of horizontal shift also, maybe I need to work on a more consistent NPA. Ill have to try again I guess without the flyers maybe. Anyway, here are my less than desireable results.

Rifle:

[Linked Image]

Range:

[Linked Image]

Groups:

[Linked Image]

1.968 MOA average......... mad

Last edited by wareagle700; 05/15/15.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The range.

[Linked Image]

Guns
[Linked Image]

Targets

[Linked Image]

Results

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A damn yellow fly was buzzing around my head and I pulled two with the DD gun.

Best with Noveske barrel and 3.5-10 scope 1.136 average, bigger red dot used with DD gun due to 1.5-6 power scope vs 3.5-10 on Noveske, put the VX-6 on my 308, it does OK there...
I cannot afford to shoot this again but I think the DD barrel chrome barrel might shade a Noveske but I blew it after 30 rounds fired. I now know the VX-6 crosswire is too thick for precision work.

Saw a nice black snake today as well...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Current Rankings:

Optics:
1) jimmyp: 1.085 MOA (page 5)
2) Certifiable: 1.155 MOA (page 5)
3) wareagle700: 1.246 MOA (page 1)
4) BGunn: 1.265 MOA (page 2)
5) jimmyp: 1.537 MOA (page 5)
6) Formidilosus: 1.787 MOA (page 4)
7) Mathsr: 1.928 MOA (page 4)
8) wareagle700: 1.968 (page 5)
9) TWR: 2.308 MOA (page 1)

Iron Sights:
1) wareagle700: 167-0x / 3.320 MOA (page 1)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Best with Noveske barrel and 3.5-10 scope 1.136 average,

Nice job, Dude.

I'll get around to shooting this in a while........putting a new gun together & then have to break the (SS) barrel in & then shoot some groups.

MM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
thanks, I was about to throw the new Noveske barrel in the trash. It had about 20 round through it before I shot it the challenge first time. Before I tried the challenge again, I cleaned it good with Butch's bore shine, added a new lower I had built up with an H1 buffer/SSA-E (may need and H2 looking at ejection) and changed from a VX-6 1-6 in an Aero precision Ultralight mount to a known Kahles 3.5-10x50 in an LT-104.

The VX-6 in the Aeromount was put on a SR-762 (had the Kahles on it) that usually makes 1 MOA with 5 shots of 150 grain WW powerpoints and it proceeded to shoot a 3 MOA for 10 shots yesterday.

Could have been something with the new barrel, more possible the Aero precision mount or VX-6, I am going to buy a new LT-104 for the VX-6. As I reverse dialed the settings when I swapped scopes and zeroed the Kahles with XM193 on the Noveske upper and the first 308 bullet was only 3 inches off, scope is probably OK if it dials right I guess??? The older I get the less I understand...

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I told you the VX6 1-6 w/Firedot wasn't a target scope but it is a great scope for it's intended role.

Glad you got the Noveske sorted out. Good shooting!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yahoo, mowed again, found my stool, glove, sling etc...

And even found what might be an ok box of old ammo to boot.

Can't find a damn 100 yard target for squat and eyes cna't shoot at black and white worth a flip..

heading to Moms to dig around up there some and see.

Wind is 30mph but thats not that big of a deal.

Oh yeah, have to find a gun after that... one step closer....

This ought to be embarrasing as heck if I get that far...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dang the luck, found the gun about the time the pager started going off..

House fire alarm and CPR/medivac flight out, but brought the gal back to life... I"m beat...

Wind blowing stupid...

Maybe later if it doesn't rain before dark.

Still need to find somethign for lunch and its almost 3 here...

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went out this morning and tried again with the Noveske, wind didn't do me any favors but I still can't get it right.
[Linked Image]
Shot my Colt pencil barrel with the 3x acog too, the horse shoe dot covered up the target but I still shot about a 3" average. Maybe I need to clean the Noveske and swap scopes.

Page 6 of 63 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,330
Posts18,487,557
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.