Home
https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1773548255483150668
What they are genetically engineered to do.
Sirs, this is entirely socio-economic results /s. Really though, how many here can even grasp the concept of probability density function? Chreistcucks inbound?
I was just thinking that.
They would have been carrying that pit bull out of there if it latched onto my dog like that. I won't hesitate, I'll just kill it. Your choices are simple with me. Keep it under control or watch it die.
Owners aren't entirely blameless.
About 10 years ago at the local free rabies clinic, an Hispanic had one that lunged at every dog that got too close. The a**hole owner shrugged off it's behavior until it drew blood on my lab's ear. I had a nearby sheriff's deputy remove them from the premises pronto.
Since that incident, I take my dog to the vet's office and pay for his shots.
Yep!

I don’t think we’d be too welcome in the show circles afterwards though. 😂
Originally Posted by Blackheart
They would have been carrying that pit bull out of there if it latched onto my dog like that. I won't hesitate, I'll just kill it. Your choices are simple with me. Keep it under control or watch it die.
Lol. You are nothing if not consistent.
Blacky ain't wrong. My husky I'd a stuck my knife in that sob on the spot.mb
It disgusts me how people act like a bunch of chim panzees flailing their arms around, screaming and wailing and yet not knowing or doing anything effective to put an end to a dog fight/attack. I'm not one of those people.
Did you notice the wagging tail on that pit? He was clearly enjoying himself.
To be fair, I have met some very friendly pitbulls. The most notable were females. However, they have the capacity to cause greater harm than other breeds... the owner I attempted to explain this to would not hear it. So I suggest "rights and responsibilities" be legally used as in any other civic aspect. You have the right to having said (thing); you are responsible and liable for (said thing) control.
It disgusts me how people act like a bunch of chim panzees flailing their arms around, screaming and wailing and yet not knowing or doing anything effective to put an end to a dog fight/attack. I'm not one of those people.

Agreed. There would be accountability even if I got bit also. A sharp knife would work wonders and the aggressor would most likely not survive. Not because I want to take the life of the dog, but I refuse to let mine be victimized any more than I would let myself be victimized.
Originally Posted by Esteban325
To be fair, I have met some very friendly pitbulls. The most notable were females. However, they have the capacity to cause greater harm than other breeds... the owner I attempted to explain this to would not hear it. So I suggest "rights and responsibilities" be legally used as in any other civic aspect. You have the right to having said (thing); you are responsible and liable for (said thing) control.

<sniff sniff sniff>. Yep. Thought so.
I absolutely love pitbulls, I do think they can be the biggest sweethearts. That being said I do not trust them completely because of their ability to cause massive damage in a short amount of time. Like my Akita he's is a big teddy bear until another dog gets in the area and then it's another story. Something I've been working hard to address. The other thing is the entire pussification of society in general. No one has the balls to risk injury to themselves for the greater good. Or they prefer to just capture the moment on cell phone
The pitt's "handler" in not handling, AT ALL! The dog is leashed. Is he pulling away? No he's PUSHING on the back of his head.

Idiot handler.
Fugg pits and their chitty owners. There I said it, lets get this bitch to 18 pages
I used to attend a dog park regularly with my full blooded Pitbull. He never once started a fight. Not in his entire life (and sweet towards everybody he met). Usually, however, it was a Boxer that went for him, but one time it was another Pitbull. Grabbed him by the face just like in that video. His dumbfounded female owner just stood there panicking, and doing nothing, while I was yelling at her to get her dog off mine. Finally, someone came by and squirted water from his water bottle into the gripping Pitbull's mouth, causing it to drown and then let go.

Pitbulls, though, are not for everyone to own, in my opinion. They require a competent owner and handler, because of their capabilities.
Chihuahua's are universally small and [bleep]. is that genetic or training?
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Fugg pits and their chitty owners.

^

I'd say mic drop and close the thread.
Blackie is right on point. I always walk armed in my neighborhood. My wife continues to wonder why and I hope she never finds out why I make that choice. My daughter keeps Mace with her. Have it and not need it right? The fuggin pittie would have been light out with me. A blade out between the shoulder blades is a termination with prejudice. Beyond that it’s a 9mm in the noggin. And I would sleep that night just fine thank you.
Dog show? Looks like a livestock/meat auction.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

^

Same for people? People are products of their environment. Does that mean two in the hat to all the children of gang bangers too ?
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Dog show? Looks like a livestock/meat auction.

Go back to bed .........................
Pits are bred for a purpose while people are generally created. Not a great argument but there are definitely folks out there who just need killin’.
I ain't watching that.
Originally Posted by RAM

^

Same for people? People are products of their environment. Does that mean two in the hat to all the children of gang bangers too ?

ok
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I ain't watching that.
The Pit had a grip on the Husky's cheek, but they got him off. Nothing gruesome to watch. Could have been much worse.
I ain't watching that.
I didnt watch it either. Do not need to see anymore videos of those worthless dogs hurting and killing. Im a dog guy, just not a breed that was bred to kill
Originally Posted by RAM
Same for people? People are products of their environment....

... and the genes they inherited from mom and dad.
Originally Posted by 5thShock

lololol
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 5thShock

lololol

Is funny.
How many times have you heard a basset hound, Beagle, Collie having attacked people or other dogs and how many times a pit, or Rottweiler? Nough said!
If there were nothing but very responsible Pit owners, we'd see far fewer attacks. They'd still attack more than any other breed by a wide margin though. Unfortunately the breed attracts trailer trash type owners. The combination compounds issues.
If there were nothing but very responsible Pit owners, we'd see far fewer attacks. They'd still attack more than any other breed by a wide margin though. Unfortunately the breed attracts trailer trash type owners. The combination compounds issues.

Not true. Number one dog who bites? Labs. By a mile. Because there's millions of them. Pits just do more damage when they do bite.

And yes, trash will be trash.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I ain't watching that.
The Pit had a grip on the Husky's cheek, but they got him off. Nothing gruesome to watch. Could have been much worse.
Yeah, noted also. It really doesn't come off as an "attack" as much as poor handler/poor discipline.
Neither animal "seriously hurt" what ever that means. No blood. Never seen any two dogs playing where there wasn't some degree of "bite the face" wrasslin' taking place.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
How many times have you heard a basset hound, Beagle, Collie having attacked people or other dogs and how many times a pit, or Rottweiler? Nough said!
The reason for that is that those other breeds don't make headlines when they attack someone. It's typically a bite and a release. Pitbulls are bred (like Boxers), however, to latch on and not let go, resulting in greater harm, which results in an increased likelihood of making the news.
My little female is the most people-friendly dog I've had in a long time. She'll let the kids hold her down and blow raspberries on her belly. She does well in public, making friends with folks. Had her 2.5 years and she's never growled at a person.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BUT... she is without a doubt the boss (in her mind) of any other animal that comes around. I live out in the sticks, so it's not too much of an issue here, plus she is not allowed to roam. I'd not really trust her around livestock, other strange/unproven dogs, or any other small animals without being on a leash. I've seen her barrel into three different big male dogs that came around and she's like a guided missile with no "quit", even when they are twice her size. I've said it before, but there's no way I'd want a big pit variant. Too much power and drive for many folks to handle. I have to admire their grit as working dogs, but they are often not worth the potential hassle.....
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Not true. Number one dog who bites? Labs. By a mile. Because there's millions of them. Pits just do more damage when they do bite.

I distinguish between a bite and an attack. But if we go with bites, this is what I came up with. https://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/dog-breeds-that-bite-humans-most
It's both. A breed with the propensity for vicious attacks, and owners who don't account for that.
Two years ago a pit and small mut, chased the wife into the house. Both were placed on the owners porch. When our catahoula bit the grand daughter, it was placed in a grave. I like dogs, I won't tolerate one that attacks people. The dog at the show should be decomposing in the ground!

I distinguish between a bite and an attack. But if we go with bites, this is what I came up with. https://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/dog-breeds-that-bite-humans-most

My numbers came from an insurance study 15 years ago. It may be different today for whatever reason. But yeah bite and attack are not the same
A couple of examples.

1) the Nez Perce Indians of the upper northwest developed the Appaloosa "breed". (not really a breed, but a color phase).
When the (ahem!) non-native people saw the brightly colored animals, they went nuts, breeding anythingbthat may throw a blanket.
The Indians had long neutered or euthanized and animal that had bad conformation or temperament.
Not the "white man".
Soon, the Appaloosa had a reputation of being bad tempered or nutty.
It wasn't until the late 60's until breeders finally realized they had to "weed out" bad traits. The Appaloosa has finally begun to be an animal with a somewhat stable temperament!

2) my nutty, pit bull crazy neighbor had a female that threw some awesome pups. She was always calm and friendly towards him....until he stepped in her pen to feed her one day! She attacked and latched onto his forearm.
He spent half a day at an ER getting patched up.
He got home, grabbed his hand gun and walked out to the dog pen where she greeted him, tail wagging in her usual friendly manner and he neutralized her!

3) a rodeo competitor was walking his family through the contestants parking lot when a pit bull bit his young daughter. Some young punk, too lazy to put his "stuff" up, chained a pit bull to his trailer to protect his gear. The child inadvertently got too close and the dog pounced.
The competitor got his family back to safety and told his wife, "I'll be right back!"
The dog was later found dead in a pool of blood!

As long as breeders are more concerned with $ instead of confirmation and temperament, these problems will persist.
Soooo.....I don't blame it all on the "breed", the breeder is also complicit by not neutralizing bad traits.
Sadly, until time (decades) and competent breeders can eliminate that "attack mode", the pit bull will have that reputation.
Would like to know how many of these were stupid people creating a situation where the dog thought it had to defend itself
I've only seen one, a friendly dog.
Pit bulls are like Remington triggers. Some are known to be bad, the rest are just waiting to magically go off some day.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Pit bulls are like Remington triggers. Some are known to be bad, the rest are just waiting to magically go off some day.
HAHA, I like that!
The handler was the one out of control of the dog. If you can not control your dog, you have no business owning that dog. I am a dog person, grew up on a farm, I do not tolerate animals that cause any problem for me or a neighbor of any kind. If they do not mind, or obey commands, that is a real problem.

Just carry a can of premium starter fluid, is great for dog control, it is pure ether and will put the baddest dog down in an instant. Does an instant sull and stun on a dog, when sprayed in the dog's face. The olfactory nerve sensors 12 times stronger than an human, are overcome, and they connect direct to the dog's brain.

For aggressive people, forget pepper spray, use wasp spray, it sprays in a stream, blinds instantly, is a guaranteed trip to the emergency room. Never can tell when you might get a wasp in your vehicle or office.
About 12 years ago my Mom and her little Schnauzer were walking down the road in our rural area, a Pitbull came out and beat the dog up, my Mom tried to stop it and it turned on her, biting her badly on the hand requiring stitches, the dog was bleeding and ilmp in shock. I went over there right away and the owner had already taken the Pit somewhere else.

I was seething and going to kill something, the cops showed up and I said to him.......I am going to kill that fugging dog, then I'm going to get my hands on the owner and it isn't going to be good. The Cop found the owner and dog, seized the dog and had it put down, he came to my house and said he watched it die and said he understood, then told me to leave it alone, which I did.

Two extremely aggressive Rottweilers in my rural hood have gone missing and were found with a bullet in the brain pan, both dogs and owners were and are trash.
I love dogs but my wife is not a dog person so I don't own dogs. However, when I see a dog with someone and it is being friendly I like to give it some attention by petting it . I always ask the owner first if the dog is friendly and is it okay to pet their dog. I've found that a lot of owners are very aware of unexpected traits their dog may have and will warn you away from contact with them if there is a problem- or will say they love to be petted and talked to. There are a couple gals in the neighborhood who walk their large dogs on a semi regular basis on our street. When I'm out in the yard I always say hi to the neighbors and converse for a few minutes if they are interested. A couple times I have simply said hi and the large dogs- a Doberman and a Bully type dog instantly came to attention and placed themselves between me and their owners and were at full alert until the owner pulled them away. A learning experience for the owner I think as I was kind of expecting the reaction from past experiences.

No dog bites for quite some time, but only because I've learned my lessons a long time ago when my family did have dogs...

My daughter in law worked in a vet clinic for quite some time when she was younger and the general consensus was that two breeds of dogs were the worst biters in their clinic and pretty much in all vet clinics. The two she told me surprised the heck out of me- Black Labs and Saint Bernards
This Pitbull thread hits different than the last 100.

Our soon to be Son In Law found a dog in the woods and brought him home. Obviously Bulldog, but mixed.
One vet said “Staffordshire Terrier”.
Our vet said “Pitbull”, then clarified what that means exactly. He agreed with the Staffordshire assessment.

Hoss is even more chill than our Boxer, Dillon.
Super calm, relaxed, gentle.

The vet agrees, and has no concern about aggression, once he gets his nuts cut.

But I worry about our daughter, and future grandkids.
Add this to the list.😏
All dogs are genetically modified wolves.

You wouldn't buy a Drathaar and try to turn him into a dog that cuddles with kittens.
You wouldn't buy a miniture poodle and run him in a hunting trial.
You wouldn't buy an English Pointer and try to train him to herd cattle

Why would you buy a Pit Bull and try to turn him into a cuddly dog that plays with your kids??????
Shiester,

We have a Boxer now, have had dogs for a long time.

Never had an aggressive dog, making some exception for the nature of a Jack Russel. She wasn’t offensive, but it didn’t take much to make her defensive.

After an incident with her and a total stranger. Where she went stiff and was immediately at fight to die status, holding her ground, I’ve learned to judge people by my dog.

Six months after Casey’s reaction to John, he was on the front page, above the fold.

Accused Child Molester Accused of Arson/Attempted Murder!
Sets fire to home with the witness inside!

If my calm dog alerts on someone,
that’s all I need to know. And am glad to know it!
The trouble with Labs is one cannot throw anything away!!!
End of the day, there is too much information on these animals to take the risk.
Pit bulls are capable of inflicting terrible damage. Could actually break bones and tear an arm off. They were bred to be relentless fighters impervious to pain. Once they attack they just won’t quit. They are beautiful dogs, but I wouldn’t want one as a pet.

Ron
Originally Posted by asheepdog

Agreed. There would be accountability even if I got bit also. A sharp knife would work wonders and the aggressor would most likely not survive. Not because I want to take the life of the dog, but I refuse to let mine be victimized any more than I would let myself be victimized.
This ^^^

That’s because the vast majority of people walk around clueless and totally unaware of their surroundings. When something bad happens most people can’t think on their feet. They go straight to red and panic.

Ron
Love how gentle the owner of the Pit Bull was trying to get it off the Husky.

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..
Presently we have a lab cross. It will protect my wife with it's life. When me and the dog are by our self, Ii's every man for himself. No body gets to stick their hand in the truck window though.

Been the same with the three previous dogs before that. A blue heeler, full blooded wolf, and Samoyed. I am not a fan of all this wolf reintroduction and think they out to be shot on sight, but ours was 1/2 arctic and 1/2 an canadian female. Best pet we ever had.
There are pitbulls running loose around here everywhere in the poor rent house neighborhoods. I am carrying now to walk my dogs on a leash in my neighborhood.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Shiester,

We have a Boxer now, have had dogs for a long time.

Never had an aggressive dog, making some exception for the nature of a Jack Russel. She wasn’t offensive, but it didn’t take much to make her defensive.

After an incident with her and a total stranger. Where she went stiff and was immediately at fight to die status, holding her ground, I’ve learned to judge people by my dog.

Six months after Casey’s reaction to John, he was on the front page, above the fold.

Accused Child Molester Accused of Arson/Attempted Murder!
Sets fire to home with the witness inside!

If my calm dog alerts on someone,
that’s all I need to know. And am glad to know it!

When I was a young kid my folks got me a Shepard/Collie mix that went about 45 lbs. One day a traveling salesmen came knocking and that dog just about went through a wood framed screen door after the guy. Dude promptly left. Kinda freaked my mom out, the dog lived to be 18 and never acted aggressive towards another person. Mom always believed the guy must have been bad news and that dog knew it.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..
So, when I was with my pure Pitbull at the dog park back in the early two thousands, and an elderly gentleman's Boxer charged him, grabbed him by the face, and wouldn't let go, instead of helping the man get his dog off mine (the Boxer actually bit my hand while trying to get a better grip on my dog's face), I should have drawn and fired?? Got it.
Originally Posted by Bry
When I was a young kid my folks got me a Shepard/Collie mix that went about 45 lbs. One day a traveling salesmen came knocking and that dog just about went through a wood framed screen door after the guy. Dude promptly left. Kinda freaked my mom out, the dog lived to be 18 and never acted aggressive towards another person. Mom always believed the guy must have been bad news and that dog knew it.
Could very well be the case.

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..
So, when I was with my pure Pitbull at the dog park back in the early two thousands, and an elderly gentleman's Boxer charged him, grabbed him by the face, and wouldn't let go, instead of helping the man get his dog off mine (the Boxer actually bit my hand while trying to get a better grip on my dog's face), I should have drawn and fired?? Got it.

I've been dog bit several times years ago. Won't happen again.
I have a female Pitt mix...Best and sweetest dog ever.

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..

Yep.
Perhaps you should not own dogs.
Originally Posted by champlain_islander

That makes sense for you.

Best at what? Bringing you boosters?
Originally Posted by Bry
Could very well be the case.

Had a similar experience as a kid, the guy offed his wife with in weeks.
Originally Posted by Rapier
The handler was the one out of control of the dog. If you can not control your dog, you have no business owning that dog. I am a dog person, grew up on a farm, I do not tolerate animals that cause any problem for me or a neighbor of any kind. If they do not mind, or obey commands, that is a real problem.

Just carry a can of premium starter fluid, is great for dog control, it is pure ether and will put the baddest dog down in an instant. Does an instant sull and stun on a dog, when sprayed in the dog's face. The olfactory nerve sensors 12 times stronger than an human, are overcome, and they connect direct to the dog's brain.

For aggressive people, forget pepper spray, use wasp spray, it sprays in a stream, blinds instantly, is a guaranteed trip to the emergency room. Never can tell when you might get a wasp in your vehicle or office.

Can’t say about the starter fluid. The wasp spray thing is an urban legend and total BS. Guy on YouTube intentionally sprayed himself to check and it was not worse than an inconvenience. DON’T rely on it unless you have a death wish.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I have had dogs for years
Last one was a Catahoula Pitt mix and this one boxer Pitt
mix. Both really great dogs

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..

Your situation was different.

You do you. You're in a blue blue blue county. I guess you'd want to consider that.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Oh heck yeah. 😳

Lol.
It's funny I've been spending a lot of time in Central America. They don't seem to have the same problem with the blacks or the pitbulls we have here in my experience. The ones I have dealt with in the black community are well articulate and have jobs and raise their kids well. And the pitbulls have been very friendly
When you own any dangerous breed , you need to be smarter than the dog, and consistent with training. Many that own Pit Bulls aren't either.
Pitt Bull owners are always quick to say my dog has never acted aggressively. Or not my dog, she is a female and as sweet as can be. Or my dog wouldn't hurt anybody.

The daughter of a friend of mine had a pitt bull. Same story, my dog wouldn't hurt a flea. Well one day, for no apparent reason, the pitt bull attacked there 2 year old boy. The dog latched on to his face and almost killed him. The boy was airlifted via trauma helicopter to a trauma center. He's lucky he survived.

They are all good dogs, until they are not. And when that trigger gets pulled very bad things happen. It may never happen, but the potential is ALWAYS there.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the same thing as loading one of your guns, taking the safety off, and telling your kids here go play with this. Ticking time bomb.
Pitbulls used to be very controlled and those people who were in the game knew the other people in the game. OFRN or Colby lines were very controlled. It took the Gangstas in the late 90s and early 00s to get involved in the breed and let some of the working dogs be turned over to rescues and the gp. A gamebred dog is never aggressive towards a human unless it directed to. They are just too dangerous. They would get put down. Pitbulls require another level of mastery and concrete authoritarian control. Most modern dogs don't get that and have owners that don't know. People who have real pitts should know their history.

Yeah, until it's not! And it attacks a 3 year old kid. \No one knows what makes a good pit turn ferocious. They are worthless to me. They kill more humans every year than all the other dog breads combined. Not even close. If someone owns one and it hurts someone in my family, it's not only the dog that is fuugged! Not picking on you Champlain Islander. I know you are a good dude but I disagree with you on this one. It's not a matter of if with pit bulls, it's when. And it's always the same thing! He has never done anything like that before!
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Pitbulls used to be very controlled and those people who were in the game knew the other people in the game. OFRN or Colby lines were very controlled. It took the Gangstas in the late 90s and early 00s to get involved in the breed and let some of the working dogs be turned over to rescues and the gp. A gamebred dog is never aggressive towards a human unless it directed to. They are just too dangerous. They would get put down. Pitbulls require another level of mastery and concrete authoritarian control. Most modern dogs don't get that and have owners that don't know. People who have real pitts should know their history.

I know their history. They kill more humans every single year than all the other breeds combined. How's that for history. It is what it is. I would not hesitate to put one down.
Would like to know how many of these were stupid people creating a situation where the dog thought it had to defend itself

I know that dang dog was just flip flopping his ear in that poor sweet gentle pit's face. Cant blame the angel of dog breeds
Originally Posted by ribka

I know that dang dog was just flip flopping his ear in that poor sweet gentle pit's face. Cant blame the angel of dog breeds

Are you tethered to reality in any secure way?
Shoot them fookers, never understand why people what to own dogs like that.

No
When I hear Pit apologists talking its like listening to The View or some rabid anti 2A lib.

clearly that poor docile pit had to defend itself
Originally Posted by Calvin

No

Well I hike 30 to 50 miles a day up and down Alaskan mountain ranges mountains hunting like Calvin the fishing guide so I guess I dont

lol
You know, it doesn’t even matter the breed in that situation. Pits are a unique issue, I get it. But for any dog that size to attack my dog for being in the area? Bad ending. And an ineffective owner? Like most here I always have a knife. A few strokes in the rib cage and the offending animal is asleep. It’s an animal presenting a danger not a two year old child with bad social skills. Killem.
ive had pits most of my life, as have my parents/grand parents. They do have prey drive, most definitely. the vast majority of incidents occur because inexperienced owners that cant control them own them, because they look cool. There isnt enough context in that video to tell what happened, huskies are known for being mouthy dogs, and it very well may have wrote a check its ass couldnt cash. Once was walking my dog in a nearly deserted park, with my 95lb unaltered male, some complete moron decided he should ignore leash laws and was letting his large black lab run all over, his lab ran up to my dog and i told him he needed to leash his dog and keep it away from mine, his dog attempted to assert dominace (ran up and attempted to jump on my dog) and got its ass kicked in about 3 seconds, and it was well deserved. I didnt let my dog do any real damage in that brief exchanged, but an idiot owner, or an inexperienced owner could have had a major problem.
Originally Posted by Calvin

No

Well I hike 30 to 50 miles a day up and down Alaskan mountain ranges mountains hunting like Calvin the fishing guide so I guess I dont

lol

It’s amazing that one of the most dishonest posters on the 24 Hour Campfire is a career federal law enforcement officer. Yep, that’s Ribka.

Spent his whole career lying, because it was legal for him to lie to citizens, but it was illegal for people to lie to him. Seems like he can’t turn it off.
Chihuahua's are universally small and [bleep]. is that genetic or training?

I saw a Chihuahua kill a pit bull. Both dog owners were amazed, the pit bull choked on the Chihuahua…
There was a bad aggressive pit in the area.....I shot the SOB.

Trouble was the owner was walking him.
They're just misunderstood fur babies.
It’s amazing how calm the husky appears.

The pitbull seems very jovial.

The people showing these dogs perhaps should switch to goldfish. Or flowers.
They're just like rats, Pull their teeth and they aint so bad.

Pit bulls are normally whatever their owners train them to be, at least in my experience.
Same with rottweilers and many German Shepards. Seems it is in their instinct to make their owners happy.

Dogs are pretty good at reading people and their personalities also. Lady one street over has Dutch Shepards. She trains them. Guess they are suppose to be very aggressive dogs. First time I was around them, she has 3, I just got on my knee, and stuck my hand out. They came over and sniffed my hand, and then were like house cats on my putting their heads under my outstretched hand to be petted. Guess they sensed I love most dogs... In fact I normally say I have more use for most dogs than I do most people.

All three of her dogs are former military or police dogs.

Still believe most dogs are whatever they owners make them to be.

when I was about 14, I had a paper route on the military base we lived on ( Pope AFB, N.C.). I use to carry table scraps in a pouch from dinner the night before. If I had to deal with an aggressive dog, for owners who always had to have their paper put on the front porch, and out of the rain, if it happened to rain. I'd get down on a knee and offer them a piece of meat scrap. Several times of that, they would always be waiting for me, with tails wagging, because I fed them.

Had one customer who was a black guy, who didn't like white folks much. He had a husky/ shepard cross, that was pretty aggressive. So I brought it a bone every day. IN a week, it was always happy to see me. The black guy came home one afternoon early and saw me petting his dog and freaked out. Next day, that dog was gone, and he had another pretty unfriendly dog chained to his front door step. Well the dog bone worked for him also... and within a week, that dog was happy to see me every day also.

I keep dog treats on the front porch of the house here and feed most of the dogs, that the owners take for a walk down our very unbusy street. They see me and they are always wagging their tail, ready for something to eat.
I've been handling insurance claims for over 30 years. For the last several years, I have handled property liability claims exclusively. Here's my perspective:

Dog bite claims are the the single most common liability claim made under a homeowners or renters policy.

Bully breeds (Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, etc) account for the largest share of dog bite claims, and produce the most serious injuries. German Shepherds are second in frequency, and nearly equal in severity. Other breeds such as Cane Corsos, Mastiffs, and Catahoula Leopard Dogs produce a disproportionate number of injuiry claims. Of the smaller breeds, Australian Shepherds are notorious ankle biters and produce a lot of claims by people bitten while jogging or riding bikes. Their bites can be quite severe.

Labs, Golden Retrievers and Collies may bite, but the number of claims people make as a result are negligible. If I handle the rare claim for a bite from a Lab, it's almost always a "Lab mix." When I ask what it's mixed with, I'm almost always told "maybe a terrier of some kind."

The most frequent excuse when an insured's dog gets out is about equal shares of: a) "my kid left the door/gate open", and 2) "the dog slipped out when I was taking a package from the Amazon guy." But I am also amazed at the number of people that simply cannot control their leashed dog. I've seen claims where women and children were literally dragged by their dog as it pulls to attack another dog or person. Others willfully let their dog run at large.

The most frequent comment about the severity of the injury by the dog owner is "it was just a nip." Or "he was just playing." Many dog owners are simply unwilling to confront the fact that their dog just tore someone up. That comment is almost always followed by, "I want to fight this, it wasn't that bad."

Here's the reality: If your dog bites someone, unless that person was actually trespassing or provoking your dog, you will be 100% liable in states with strict liability laws, and there's a lot of those states. If your conduct was egregious or reckless, and that conduct allowed the attack or bite to occur, you may be liable for punitive damages, and punitive damages are usually not covered by your insurance policy. In states without strict liability laws, you will likely be liable if there was a leash law you violated - such as your dog running at large. "One Bite Rules" in states can be overcome if you had ANY notice of any prior aggression or bites. Most juries are not going to stiff a bite victim.

If your dog bites someone, no matter how "sweet" it is, you are now in possession of a dog that bites. You will likely lose your homeowners or renters insurance. Many insurers do not want to insure a home that houses a dog that has bitten.

Lesson - control your dog.
^^^Good Info^^^

Thanks for posting
My Dad always said that pitbulls are the negroes of the dog world. The danger and violence is lurking just below the surface.

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..

You do you. You're in a blue blue blue county. I guess you'd want to consider that.

Back before the prevalence of concealed carry, a few decades ago, I saw a lot of people in Albuquerque walking and running with a 9-iron. Next to a sword or firearm, that is a fairly good antidote for dog attacks.
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..

Back before the prevalence of concealed carry, a few decades ago, I saw a lot of people in Albuquerque walking and running with a 9-iron. Next to a sword or firearm, that is a fairly good antidote for dog attacks.

There is a black dude who walks in my neighborhood with a long chain all the time.

Nobody seems to bother him. 🤣
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I've been handling insurance claims for over 30 years. For the last several years, I have handled property liability claims exclusively. Here's my perspective:

Dog bite claims are the the single most common liability claim made under a homeowners or renters policy.

Bully breeds (Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, etc) account for the largest share of dog bite claims, and produce the most serious injuries. German Shepherds are second in frequency, and nearly equal in severity. Other breeds such as Cane Corsos, Mastiffs, and Catahoula Leopard Dogs produce a disproportionate number of injuiry claims. Of the smaller breeds, Australian Shepherds are notorious ankle biters and produce a lot of claims by people bitten while jogging or riding bikes. Their bites can be quite severe.

Labs, Golden Retrievers and Collies may bite, but the number of claims people make as a result are negligible. If I handle the rare claim for a bite from a Lab, it's almost always a "Lab mix." When I ask what it's mixed with, I'm almost always told "maybe a terrier of some kind."

The most frequent excuse when an insured's dog gets out is about equal shares of: a) "my kid left the door/gate open", and 2) "the dog slipped out when I was taking a package from the Amazon guy." But I am also amazed at the number of people that simply cannot control their leashed dog. I've seen claims where women and children were literally dragged by their dog as it pulls to attack another dog or person. Others willfully let their dog run at large.

The most frequent comment about the severity of the injury by the dog owner is "it was just a nip." Or "he was just playing." Many dog owners are simply unwilling to confront the fact that their dog just tore someone up. That comment is almost always followed by, "I want to fight this, it wasn't that bad."

Here's the reality: If your dog bites someone, unless that person was actually trespassing or provoking your dog, you will be 100% liable in states with strict liability laws, and there's a lot of those states. If your conduct was egregious or reckless, and that conduct allowed the attack or bite to occur, you may be liable for punitive damages, and punitive damages are usually not covered by your insurance policy. In states without strict liability laws, you will likely be liable if there was a leash law you violated - such as your dog running at large. "One Bite Rules" in states can be overcome if you had ANY notice of any prior aggression or bites. Most juries are not going to stiff a bite victim.

If your dog bites someone, no matter how "sweet" it is, you are now in possession of a dog that bites. You will likely lose your homeowners or renters insurance. Many insurers do not want to insure a home that houses a dog that has bitten.

Lesson - control your dog.

10g’s,

Thank you for taking time to post this!

Something like this should be required reading for dog owners. Pitbull owners almost never have insurance because they can’t get it and if they do have it, they usually lied on their insurance application…which voids their coverage.

Useless damn mutts!
I don't hate pitbulls.
I just don't understand. There are so many amazing dog breeds out there. If you are not using them on wild boar, I have no idea why people would chose them.
If people were smart and didn't chose them, they wouldn't be so popular and therefore not nearly as prevalent. Less pits would equal less bites.

But asking people to make smart, informed decisions seems to be asking way too much these days......
I’ve owned four houses. Everyone time I got home owners insurance they refused to cover me if I owned a pit and it’s in the documents

Wonder why?!
Originally Posted by RUM7
I don't hate pitbulls.
I just don't understand. There are so many amazing dog breeds out there. If you are not using them on wild boar, I have no idea why people would chose them.
If people were smart and didn't chose them, they wouldn't be so popular and therefore not nearly as prevalent. Less pits would equal less bites.

But asking people to make smart, informed decisions seems to be asking way too much these days......

Why? Some watch shows <see vid> and want to be part of that mindset.

Our beagle was the ultimate kid's dog. Could trust him with everything except guarding you sandwich when you left the room. He was the hit of the neighborhood. He loved playing with our kids and their friends. Took him for a walk in a public park and many kids came over and played with him. Then one @10-year-old girl came over and he changed. His hackles went up and his teeth were bared. She and we separated ways and back to playing will all the kids. She approached a while later and same reaction. What was he sensing with this cute little girl I never knew.
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Our beagle was the ultimate kid's dog. Could trust him with everything except guarding you sandwich when you left the room. He was the hit of the neighborhood. He loved playing with our kids and their friends. Took him for a walk in a public park and many kids came over and played with him. Then one @10-year-old girl came over and he changed. His hackles went up and his teeth were bared. She and we separated ways and back to playing will all the kids. She approached a while later and same reaction. What was he sensing with this cute little girl I never knew.
Future Democrat probably. Dogs know.
Originally Posted by Angus1895
It’s amazing how calm the husky appears.

The pitbull seems very jovial.

The people showing these dogs perhaps should switch to goldfish. Or flowers.

EXACTLY! AND PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED. That wasn 't an attack. If it was, the Husky was looking to commit suicide
Originally Posted by jc189
Pitt Bull owners are always quick to say my dog has never acted aggressively. Or not my dog, she is a female and as sweet as can be. Or my dog wouldn't hurt anybody.

The daughter of a friend of mine had a pitt bull. Same story, my dog wouldn't hurt a flea. Well one day, for no apparent reason, the pitt bull attacked there 2 year old boy. The dog latched on to his face and almost killed him. The boy was airlifted via trauma helicopter to a trauma center. He's lucky he survived.

They are all good dogs, until they are not. And when that trigger gets pulled very bad things happen. It may never happen, but the potential is ALWAYS there.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the same thing as loading one of your guns, taking the safety off, and telling your kids here go play with this. Ticking time bomb.

Exactly.

The breed should be exterminated.
The first and most lasting thing I learned as a USAF SP MWD handler was “[bleep] rolls down leash. It ain’t necessarily the dog and more likely the owner. And, after working 25 years as a LEO I have yet to be bite by a pit bull. Am I careful around them? Yes. I’m also careful around other large breeds such as German Shepherds, Mastiffs etc. The only dogs I’ve been bitten by on duty have been border collies because their owners don’t have enough sense to stay on the same side of me as the dog is and the dog nips me in the thigh every time trying to move me like cattle. Again, the dumb owner not the dog.
Interesting thought process by some. Are Pitt bulls genetically predisposed for the behavior? Perhaps and so are a lot of dogs. Some of the crankiest SOB’s and prone to fight I’ve seen have been Plott hounds. Get them too close together after a bear chase and they will go at it with each other guaranteed. Taking a Pitt or other alpha dog to a cutesy dog show is stupid to start with. They don’t belong there. So here’s an analogy. Go back to the 70’s or 80’s to a good old fashioned hole in the wall bar or honky tonk with a bunch of men who had a respectable level of testosterone and a few beers and then compare it to whatever kind of hang out the current generation of manbun snowflakes frequent. Thinking that dog show would look mild in comparison.
I wonder if our resident Pit owners would come on here and admit WHEN it goes off?

Roger STX is the only one I know of that has admitted to pushing the limits with a pit.
Here's another side of the story- A few years ago in our town a policeman was walking down the street to visit with some folks, which is isn't unusual in this town as community policing is the charter here and we get along well with our police department . In any case, a yellow lab charged at the policeman out of nowhere with it's hackles up and teeth bared. As it approached, the cop shot it several times, killing it just before it reached him. He was reprimanded, the city was sued and lost a large settlement, and the policeman lost his job. Yes, our city, which used to be a town of approximately 8K residents and a conservative farm community has grown into a community of 109,000 drawn by high tech growth and is decidedly going blue more each day.

Growing up our family always had dogs and my dad's favorite was boxers and he had a bit of a puppy mill going on in the garage. Keep in mind this was 60-65 years ago. One of my earliest memories was watching them bob the tails of those puppies. The female boxer we had was the sweetest dog you've ever met- it would sleep on the front porch with the neighborhood cats, dogs, and even a family of raccoons . The male , on the other hand, was the most vicious dog I've ever seen then or since. It would literally tear cats into pieces and would do just about anything to get to a cat. Once it bit my mom on the foot when she tried to get a cat away from it and my mom retreated to the house until we got back a couple days later from a hunting trip. My dad was the alpha male to that dog and was the only person he would ever listen to and with him gone, the dog felt like he was running the show. When we got back and my dad heard about what happened he didn't even unpack before he took care of it. He took out his Remington 760 30-06, tossed a bone out in our pasture as far as he could throw it, and when the dog went to retrieve it he shot it and we buried it right there. We had 8 kids in the family and dad couldn't afford to have a vicious dog around the family.

I usually love boxers- they are goofy and look really great and are usually great family dogs, but they aren't the smartest breed around. We have also had labs and once a Pomeranian. Of all of them I think I hated that yapping little Pomeranian the most. I can't tell you how many times it bit me on the ankles when I was a kid. It suddenly disappeared one day and my folks simply said it ran away. I didn't really care either way as I was just glad it was gone.
We have been a lab family. LOTS of upland hunting.

Neither of them would ever think about biting a human.

Our labs are gone now. We waited a year and a half until a Corgi pup came into our life by accident.

She is cool as hell!
Originally Posted by brinky72
Interesting thought process by some. Are Pitt bulls genetically predisposed for the behavior? .

Seriously....?
The first and most lasting thing I learned as a USAF SP MWD handler was “[bleep] rolls down leash. It ain’t necessarily the dog and more likely the owner. And, after working 25 years as a LEO I have yet to be bite by a pit bull. Am I careful around them? Yes. I’m also careful around other large breeds such as German Shepherds, Mastiffs etc. The only dogs I’ve been bitten by on duty have been border collies because their owners don’t have enough sense to stay on the same side of me as the dog is and the dog nips me in the thigh every time trying to move me like cattle. Again, the dumb owner not the dog.

fascinating. lol. appears you learned nothing or are a pathetic attempt at trolling
boxers are great family dogs? lol

Originally Posted by Sheister
Here's another side of the story- A few years ago in our town a policeman was walking down the street to visit with some folks, which is isn't unusual in this town as community policing is the charter here and we get along well with our police department . In any case, a yellow lab charged at the policeman out of nowhere with it's hackles up and teeth bared. As it approached, the cop shot it several times, killing it just before it reached him. He was reprimanded, the city was sued and lost a large settlement, and the policeman lost his job. Yes, our city, which used to be a town of approximately 8K residents and a conservative farm community has grown into a community of 109,000 drawn by high tech growth and is decidedly going blue more each day.

Growing up our family always had dogs and my dad's favorite was boxers and he had a bit of a puppy mill going on in the garage. Keep in mind this was 60-65 years ago. One of my earliest memories was watching them bob the tails of those puppies. The female boxer we had was the sweetest dog you've ever met- it would sleep on the front porch with the neighborhood cats, dogs, and even a family of raccoons . The male , on the other hand, was the most vicious dog I've ever seen then or since. It would literally tear cats into pieces and would do just about anything to get to a cat. Once it bit my mom on the foot when she tried to get a cat away from it and my mom retreated to the house until we got back a couple days later from a hunting trip. My dad was the alpha male to that dog and was the only person he would ever listen to and with him gone, the dog felt like he was running the show. When we got back and my dad heard about what happened he didn't even unpack before he took care of it. He took out his Remington 760 30-06, tossed a bone out in our pasture as far as he could throw it, and when the dog went to retrieve it he shot it and we buried it right there. We had 8 kids in the family and dad couldn't afford to have a vicious dog around the family.

I usually love boxers- they are goofy and look really great and are usually great family dogs, but they aren't the smartest breed around. We have also had labs and once a Pomeranian. Of all of them I think I hated that yapping little Pomeranian the most. I can't tell you how many times it bit me on the ankles when I was a kid. It suddenly disappeared one day and my folks simply said it ran away. I didn't really care either way as I was just glad it was gone.
Originally Posted by acooper1983
ive had pits most of my life, as have my parents/grand parents. They do have prey drive, most definitely. the vast majority of incidents occur because inexperienced owners that cant control them own them, because they look cool. There isnt enough context in that video to tell what happened, huskies are known for being mouthy dogs, and it very well may have wrote a check its ass couldnt cash. Once was walking my dog in a nearly deserted park, with my 95lb unaltered male, some complete moron decided he should ignore leash laws and was letting his large black lab run all over, his lab ran up to my dog and i told him he needed to leash his dog and keep it away from mine, his dog attempted to assert dominace (ran up and attempted to jump on my dog) and got its ass kicked in about 3 seconds, and it was well deserved. I didnt let my dog do any real damage in that brief exchanged, but an idiot owner, or an inexperienced owner could have had a major problem.

thanks for your pit owner input. Having an animal with a high prey drive is a great choice for a family dog? =wtf?

lol. a dog runs up to your psycho pit and you think your psycho pit is justified and should should kill the dog? you seem proud as a pit owner your dog could another family's dog. you must be a proud union member I bet that donated to Biden? All unions donate millions to pedos like Biden

pits look cool? They all look like they need a bullet in the back of their heads

why do all pit owners look like child molesters?

thanks for reminding everyone on here what schitty dogs pits are and what losers there are that choose them. I've shot my share of vicious pits in the course of my work and wish I shot more after witnessing all of the faces they tore off of children and the senior citizens they multilated and ate
From my experience after owning bulldogs for 50+ years, it's always the owners fault. It's definitely easy to set a bulldog up to fail, but there's not any other breed of dog that will protect your property and loved one's against people or animals like a bulldog.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
From my experience after owning bulldogs for 50+ years, it's always the owners fault. It's definitely easy to set a bulldog up to fail, but there's not any other breed of dog that will protect your property and loved one's against people or animals like a bulldog.
Agreed.

When professional burglars were surveyed in prison, they ranked dogs by how much they'd deter them in their decision whether to burglarize a particular house. The two top ranking dogs were Pitbulls and Doberman Pinschers. Many stated that they'd choose another house rather than burglarize one with either a Pitbull or Doberman in it.

thanks for your pit owner input. Having an animal with a high prey drive is a great choice for a family dog? =wtf?

lol. a dog runs up to your psycho pit and you think your psycho pit is justified and should should kill the dog? you seem proud as a pit owner your dog could another family's dog. you must be a proud union member I bet that donated to Biden? All unions donate millions to pedos like Biden

pits look cool? They all look like they need a bullet in the back of their heads

thanks for reminding everyone on here what schitty dogs pits are and what losers there are that choose them. I've shot my share of vicious pits in the course of my work and wish I shot more after witnessing all of the faces they tore off of children and the senior citizens they multilated and ate
Your a FN idiot. A unleashed dog of any breed has no business running up to a person or a leashed dog. I've had friends drive into my property and their dog jump out of their truck to play. By the time I got my Hotshot to get my dogs of his it was over. You shoot one of my dogs on my property I'm face shooting you instantly.
WTF does it matter whose fault it is?

Pit bulls should not be allowed to live in our society.

Your a FN idiot. A unleashed dog of any breed has no business running up to a person or a leashed dog. I've had friends drive into my property and their dog jump out of their truck to play. By the time I got my Hotshot to get my dogs of his it was over. You shoot one of my dogs on my property I'm face shooting you instantly.
Finally, somebody with enough sense to call ribka what he is !
We have the fortune of being able to pickup a piece of pasture land in 1988 that fronts a navigable 20 foot deep bayou for 3/4 of a mile. It furnishes grazing for about half our cows and on good years excess grass is turned into hay. The fishing is extraordinary and the fish population is constantly being augmented by the Red River and two upstream impoundments. We can see 15 or more whitetails grazing our abundant clover most late evenings. Our kids can shoot a deer anytime. Of course wild hogs are a fact of life and we kill dozens every year.

Now for the bad part. We have some neighbors that live as an extended family in 7 or 8 trailer houses on an adjoining 70 acres that is an undivided and not yet probated estate (over 40 years).They were allowing the uncontrolled breeding of Pit Bulls and some Chow and Husky dogs with the Pit Bull naturally dominating. You can sort of get the picture of underfed naturally vicious dogs visiting.

The dogs were vicious and always hunting food. Naturally they were drawn to cattle at first probably attracted to the cheesy calf droppings and afterbirth. There was only one solution and it did not involve notifying the putative owners of the dogs. It was called shoot on site and sight. Big body grip traps were also employed.

Yes, the owners were to blame but in a way they didn't really own the dogs. My neighbor to the north once had 2 calves killed by a female pit and her 4 offspring that were nearly grown. He chased them home and told the trailer house woman what happened and she said they weren't really her dogs, they just stayed at her place. He got his rifle and climbed up in his nearby box blind and killed all 5 when they sneaked back to their kill.

He and I have put a stop to free ranging predators and now the cameras seldom catch a visiting half feral dog. There was no other solution.
What if someone shot your dog for misbehaving on their property and he managed to get back to your property to die? I know of several cases of that happening.
Originally Posted by Hastings
What if someone shot your dog for misbehaving on their property and he managed to get back to your property to die? I know of several cases of that happening.

I don't believe any dog should be running around on someone else's property no matter what the breed is. If my dogs are on someone else's property I expect them to do as I would if their dogs were on my property. I also have cattle, manage my property for wildlife and have plenty of trailer trash living close by. It's a bad deal for the dogs because you can't shoot, trap or poison the sorry azz owners.

I don't believe any dog should be running around on someone else's property no matter what the breed is. If my dogs are on someone else's property I expect them to do as I would if their dogs were on my property. I also have cattle, manage my property for wildlife and have plenty of trailer trash living close by. It's a bad deal for the dogs because you can't shoot, trap or poison the sorry azz owners.
Fair enough
Different strokes I guess.
My dog often runs free and visits the neighbors out in our rural area. Of course, my neighbors all know him and like him alot. He often plays with the big black lab next door. Of course, the only thing he kills are feral cats and once a young coyote.
It helps he's not a pit and my neighbors are good people.

He does always have a GPS collar on and has learned his boundaries. We don't live on "rural" 2 acre lots.
Anyone who does not believe that pits are predisposed to unprovoked violence obviously know nothing about dog breeding or genetics.
My dog often runs free and visits the neighbors out in our rural area. Of course, my neighbors all know him and like him alot. He often plays with the big black lab next door. Of course, the only thing he kills are feral cats and once a young coyote.

He does always have a GPS collar on and has learned his boundaries. We don't live on "rural" 2 acre lots.
My neighbor, who was also a good friend, had a female lab like that.
She spent as much time going up/down the mountain trails as I did during my trail runs and was well known in the area. I don’t think anyone cared because she was friendly (she learned quickly to stay out of my backyard where I built the kennel for my GSD since he didn’t like ANY other dog).
All was well until she got hit by someone on our road, then it was ‘that driver’s’ fault. Decisions have consequences.
Anyone who does not believe that pits are predisposed to unprovoked violence obviously know nothing about dog breeding or genetics.
Your opinion is based on ignorance. Pitbulls were bred for a sport requiring that the dogs be handled by all sorts of strangers. This is why they have a strong tendency (more so than most breeds of dog) to be friendly towards everyone they meet. The problem the breed has is that they are so capable of harm that, on the rare occasions they do inappropriately attack someone, they make the headlines far more often than other breeds who bite. This skews the numbers on the stats making it appear that a typical Pitbull is constantly in search of victims to attack. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
What sport were they bred for? Bull baiting? Dog fighting?
What sport were they bred for? Bull baiting? Dog fighting?
The line of dogs that led to the development of the premier pit fighting breed goes way back to when they were originally used in boar hunting and bull/bear baiting. When bull/bear baiting was outlawed, pitting them against each other became popular for entertainment, betting, etc., like cock fighting (also referred to as a sport).

In all the above activities, they are constantly handled by strangers, unlike, for instance, dogs bred for an activity like estate guarding or sheep guarding, which dogs are usually only handled by their regular handlers, and thus have no particular requirement to be docile towards strangers.
I have been told mules are good at protecting pasture from dogs
As a youth, I’ve been chased and bitten by a 3 legged Rottweiler (raised by a VERY rough family), a very large Rottweiler breeding male that got out of his kennel somehow and greeted me at a friends house when I showed up on my atv - not so much raised but used as a breeder by a single mom that had no authority over him at all, and a Springer Spaniel that was our family dog for years but got hit by a car and started acting very strangely right up til he bit my face as a child and my father “rehomed” him.

I’ve been around a LOT of dogs my entire life. I have always felt I could read dogs fairly well. That said, my 12 yo boy had his face, head, and neck chewed on by a great pyranise owned by another single woman who admitted after the fact that she had such little control over that dog that she would have a friend take him regularly to “give her a break”.

That dog was docile before and after… even after chewing on my boys head for about 20-30 seconds - he sat beside him and wagged his tail. I wasn’t there when it happened, otherwise the dog would have been immediately put down.

I’ve seen dogs do enough in my time to realize you shouldn’t trust ANY of them unless you know them well and know their training. And I LOVE dogs.

I’ve known several pits and never had an easy or trusting feeling around any of them - and they were all VERY well trained and behaved. One female (likely the second or third best trained dog I’ve even been around) was docile and sweet and playful. I would occasionally catch her literally side eyeing me and when I’d return the gaze, she’d stand up with her head down. Presenting in a way that I’ve always taken as “ready”.

We’re on chocolate lab number 4 and they are fantastic animals… I would never turn my back on a pit.
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
I’ve seen dogs do enough in my time to realize you shouldn’t trust ANY of them unless you know them well and know their training. And I LOVE dogs.

This, with the addendum that if I know the owner and his/her training methods and general habits with dogs, I'll be more likely to be relaxed at the outset.

I love GSDs.
I have a history with GSDs in a working capacity.
I currently have a yellow lab, and won't have another GSD until I retire. If I can't provide the time for proper training, exercise, and socialization....I don't have any business keeping the breed as a companion.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to retirement.
Originally Posted by NH K9

This, with the addendum that if I know the owner and his/her training methods and general habits with dogs, I'll be more likely to be relaxed at the outset.

I love GSDs.
I currently have a yellow lab, and won't have another GSD until I retire. If I can't provide the time for proper training, exercise, and socialization....I don't have any business keeping the breed as a companion.

GSD’s can be an incredible dog…
They do need proper rearing and consistent guidance in my opinion. My wife’s parents had one (an otherwise stellar dog) before she was born. Her father walked in on the German growling at her with his teeth bared and shoulder hair raised (she was about 18 months old!). That one departed shortly there after as well. I knew a 140 pound German that was a gentle giant, and a 60 pound German that was a nipper.

I find dogs’ behavior is EXTREMELY situational, and relies heavily on their raising. Certain breeds have proven to be higher risk than others. I suspect a part of that is genetics and a part is due to the typical demographic of owners.

She spent as much time going up/down the mountain trails as I did during my trail runs and was well known in the area. I don’t think anyone cared because she was friendly (she learned quickly to stay out of my backyard where I built the kennel for my GSD since he didn’t like ANY other dog).
All was well until she got hit by someone on our road, then it was ‘that driver’s’ fault. Decisions have consequences.
When I start trapping I catch those kind of dogs within a few days. If the dog has a collar I let it go the first time. I just wish people would keep their animals on their own property or on a leash.
Just an aside, I was walking my 70 lb Old English Bulldog (image below) last year at night. As we approached the fenced in yard of two dogs (a full blooded male Pitbull in his prime weighing about 65 lbs, and his female German Shepherd buddy, also in her prime), I noticed that they were both loose. Someone had left their gate open.

These two dogs have been acting like they've been spoiling for a fight with my dog for years from behind their fence, and now they were loose, and both charging at me and my dog with all anger and fury.

My dog just looked at them square, body braced for a fight as they charged towards him, and when they got within a couple of yards, with a low roar he launched himself in their direction, like, "Okay, lets do this." I could barely hold onto the leash.

At seeing this, both of them practically fell over themselves to stop on a dime within feet of my dog, and ran back to their property as fast as their feet would carry them. grin

It tickles me every time I think of it.

[Linked Image]

I love GSDs.

GSD’s can be an incredible dog…
They do need proper rearing and consistent guidance in my opinion. My wife’s parents had one (an otherwise stellar dog) before she was born. Her father walked in on the German growling at her with his teeth bared and shoulder hair raised (she was about 18 months old!). That one departed shortly there after as well. I knew a 140 pound German that was a gentle giant, and a 60 pound German that was a nipper.

I find dogs’ behavior is EXTREMELY situational, and relies heavily on their raising. Certain breeds have proven to be higher risk than others. I suspect a part of that is genetics and a part is due to the typical demographic of owners.
I grew up with two German Shepherds. Great dogs, but we absolutely couldn't have strangers in the house or on the property without putting them up.

When I start trapping I catch those kind of dogs within a few days. If the dog has a collar I let it go the first time. I just wish people would keep their animals on their own property or on a leash.
Maybe I didn't explain well. My dog's collar acts like an electronic fence. It just uses GPS. Not an ungrounded wire. I know where to let him roam and where not to.
Those gps collars sound like a good deal?
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Those gps collars sound like a good deal?
They work. I leave a perrty big buffer by the road because I don't trust it to be perfectly accurate. But so far, so good. Once they know the boundary, they don't push the limit.
Just an aside, I was walking my 70 lb Old English Bulldog (image below) last year at night. As we approached the fenced in yard of two dogs (a full blooded male Pitbull in his prime weighing about 65 lbs, and his female German Shepherd buddy, also in her prime), I noticed that they were both loose. Someone had left their gate open.

These two dogs have been acting like they've been spoiling for a fight with my dog for years from behind their fence, and now they were loose, and both charging at me and my dog with all anger and fury.

My dog just looked at them square, body braced for a fight as they charged towards him, and when they got within a couple of yards, with a low roar he launched himself in their direction, like, "Okay, lets do this." I could barely hold onto the leash.

At seeing this, both of them practically fell over themselves to stop on a dime within feet of my dog, and ran back to their property as fast as their feet would carry them. grin

[Linked Image]

The_Real_Hawkeye,

I'm glad your 70 lb Old English Bulldog had what it takes to stop the advance of the Pitbull and German Shepherd.

Can you imagine if you were walking by with your young daughter or granddaughter. A young child does not have what it takes to stop an aggressive attack. A loose pitbull and a child in the same vicinity has the potential for a catastrophic outcome.

This or worse. This poor little girl will have to live with the horror of that attack every time she looks in the mirror.
I’ve got a cousin that has a Blue Heeler that is very aggressive. We were talking today at a family function about how many people have been bitten by that dog.
I see pitbulls as a sociopaths dog. Usually some wanna be tough guy owns one because as a sociopath he thinks everything is about intimidation. I love most all dogs but few things upset me more then when a neighbor had 2 pit bulls that used to run free through our neighborhood.

I caught a coyote once trying to lure our dog out of the yard. I put a 75g amax through its high lungs at about 300 yards with my 223 AI. That neighbors pit bulls heard the shot and came running like bird dogs. Somehow the coyote got back on its feet despite being able to see daylight through the hole behind its shoulders.

Those pit bulls saw and immediately ran and tore it to shreds. After witnessing that I regretted not cracking off a few more rounds and putting the pits down too. A few days latter our other neighbor told us those Pitts had attacked her while jogging and drew blood before someone stopped to help. I told her I wished she would have told me that last week.

Luckily the old lady with the pits moved later that month. Before she moved I told her I thought her dogs were dangerous and I was glad to see them go. She said I know they are dangerous that's why I have them. She said she likes the fact that they are intimidating because people leave her alone. I said you better just hope they don't turn on you. She owned and developed our neighborhood and sold myself and our neighbors all pit bulls.

After she moved everyone started talking about how she lied to them and cheated them on their deals. She also told us that she wasn't going to allow homes under 4000 ft in the neighborhood and then changed it to 3200 right after we built a 5200' home with a 4 car. After hearing all the other neighbors story's I thought maybe that old lady was a sociopath. It would seem to fit with the pitbulls.

I recently met a dog rescue lady that rescued pitbulls and said one should never be put down. She was a big time leftist and asked why I had wire haired pointing griffons. I told her because I wanted bird hunting dogs that my kids weren't allergic too. She made some snide comments about hunters and gun owners. I then told her I couldn't believe she advocated Pitt bulls but was against gun ownership.

She then said guns kill more people than pittbulls. I said no, no gun has ever killed anyone on its own. Guns don't have brains and don't just suddenly decide on their own to tear the face off of a 3 year old girl. I told her that Pitt bulls are the reason I bought my wife an 38 special to carry while walking our bird dogs.

Bb

You’re a FN idiot. A unleashed dog of any breed has no business running up to a person or a leashed dog. I've had friends drive into my property and their dog jump out of their truck to play. By the time I got my Hotshot to get my dogs of his it was over. You shoot one of my dogs on my property I'm face shooting you instantly.

It’s confused old boomer idiots like you who shouldn’t own firearms or dogs. I wouldn’t let my bird dogs 500 miles from your coon ass Trailer park single wide. Lol
Agreed.

When professional burglars were surveyed in prison, they ranked dogs by how much they'd deter them in their decision whether to burglarize a particular house. The two top ranking dogs were Pitbulls and Doberman Pinschers. Many stated that they'd choose another house rather than burglarize one with either a Pitbull or Doberman in it.

Where do professional burglars get their degrees? Lol

The best protection is any dog breed that barks and brings attention. Burglars don’t analyze a home owners’ dog breed background before determining whether they rob a house. This is just silly lol

Why do insurance companies refuse to write policies for dangerous breeds??

[Linked Image]

You quite obviously have some physiological complex, maybe you were picked on when you were a tike. Who knows, you should seek help
It’s been a long time ago, but I was considering a Staffordshire Terrier in the mid 70’s. These were much smaller dogs than the current overbred monstrosities, average weight was 30 to 35 pounds. The breeder has been in business for years, I was a little cautious and passed.. I didn’t hear much about them again until the crazy people took over the breed.

I wound up getting an English Bulldog from championship stock, he was very docile and loved being around people. I don’t think I ever saw him growl at another dog or person. He was a smart, for a bulldog smile
Originally Posted by JB in SC
It’s been a long time ago, but I was considering a Staffordshire Terrier in the mid 70’s. These were much smaller dogs than the current overbred monstrosities, average weight was 30 to 35 pounds. The breeder has been in business for years, I was a little cautious and passed.. I didn’t hear much about them again until the crazy people took over the breed.
You're talking about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as distinct from the American Staffordshire Terrier. You sort of combined the names together, there.

Awesome little dogs. I came very close to getting one, myself, back in the late 1980s. Went to many shows to see them, and to interact with them and their owners, looking into puppies, but never quite pulled the trigger on getting one. I bought a Doberman Pinscher pup instead. About the best dog I've ever had.
You're talking about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, as distinct from the American Staffordshire Terrier. You sort of combined the names together, there.

Awesome little dogs. I came very close to getting one, myself, back in the late 1980s. Went to many shows to see them, and to interact with them and their owners, looking into puppies, but never quite pulled the trigger on getting one. I bought a Doberman Pinscher pup instead. About the best dog I've ever had.

I bet a Staff. Bull puppy is insanely expensive these days.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
They were far from inexpensive back in the late 1980s, either.
I don't know why so many people like pitts. They're ugly damn things.
In many cases the dog is smarter than the owner.
Had 4 of the cacksucklers in my corrals this morning. Sadly, I was only fast enuff to swat 2 of them. One was a full pit, and 3 were mixes. I'm assuming a mom and 3 grown pups.The pit hauled ass as soon as I shot the first one, and the 4th made it into the weeds where I never saw them again. No neighbors within 3 miles, and none have pits. The meskins across the interstate might, but I've never seen any over there. Mighta been dumped here.....
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
They were far from inexpensive back in the late 1980s, either.

I've always wanted one of those. Might bite the bullet one day, but two dogs in the house is plenty at the moment. My daughter and my sister are both enamored with a local family's miniature Bull Terrier (Spuds McKenzie / Target dog). He's a cool little guy at 25-30lbs but I'd hate to know what they paid for him. Sister has been a vet tech for years and she says she's generally most leery of new German Shepherds that some in her clinic. They've been the most "bitey" dogs she's dealt with that have the power/size to do real harm. The little ankle-biters are still probably the most prone breeds to bite at all, but they are too small to do much.

They were from an English breeder living in PA, IRRC. A really good English Bulldog was $400, the Staff was $500 at the time.They looked more like muscular terriers than the American. He was really picky about potential owners, fenced yards only with signed documents to not breed them unless approved by the breeder. I wasn’t very knowledgeable about the breed at the time, they are very handsome dogs.
They were from an English breeder living in PA, IRRC. A really good English Bulldog was $400, the Staff was $500 at the time.They looked more like muscular terriers than the American. He was really picky about potential owners, fenced yards only with signed documents to not breed them unless approved by the breeder. I wasn’t very knowledgeable about the breed at the time, they are very handsome dogs.
I had precisely the same issues with the breeders who I wanted to buy a pup from. Exactly, even down to the agreement not to breed without their permission. I thought it was very strange, which might be why I never pulled the trigger on a purchase. Not that I had any intention of breeding, but they made it sound like I wasn't buying a dog so much as entering an agreement to care for one of their dogs.
I am always amazed that folks who buy dogs bred to point and retrieve expect them to do so but deny that dogs bred to fight and kill will do so. IMO, they confuse dog loyalty with genetically programmed disposition.
Have you ever met someone who seemed ok, until you found out they owned a pitbull?

fascinating. lol. appears you learned nothing or are a pathetic attempt at trolling

I’ll make it simpler for you. Majority of dog owners are idiots and anyone that has a dog that doesn’t behave is an idiot for not taking the time to have a well behaved dog. Don’t blame the dog blame the owner. And don’t go up to a dog that isn’t yours and think it’s going to be friendly. People are the idiots in the equation. Too many people have dogs that are lawn ornaments and do exactly zero for the animal. Almost every time I see a problem dog it’s running loose and its owner is nowhere to be found. Not a good sign to start. Even the best dog can bite if it’s loose, away from its owner and stressed or frightened. Leave it alone unless you know what you’re doing and have the proper means. Are there instances of dogs running around chasing people. Of course and they should be destroyed. Does it mean that the entire breed does that? No. The animal is clearly a result of its environment and lack of care. All dog breeds are capable of being mean if there neglected. I’ve seen more people bitten by Chihuahuas than by Rottweilers.

I’ll make it simpler for you. Majority of dog owners are idiots and anyone that has a dog that doesn’t behave is an idiot for not taking the time to have a well behaved dog. Don’t blame the dog blame the owner. And don’t go up to a dog that isn’t yours and think it’s going to be friendly. People are the idiots in the equation. Too many people have dogs that are lawn ornaments and do exactly zero for the animal. Almost every time I see a problem dog it’s running loose and its owner is nowhere to be found. Not a good sign to start. Even the best dog can bite if it’s loose, away from its owner and stressed or frightened. Leave it alone unless you know what you’re doing and have the proper means. Are there instances of dogs running around chasing people. Of course and they should be destroyed. Does it mean that the entire breed does that? No. The animal is clearly a result of its environment and lack of care. All dog breeds are capable of being mean if there neglected. I’ve seen more people bitten by Chihuahuas than by Rottweilers.

I agree that there are plenty of dog owners out there that should not own a dog of any breed. And I also agree with this statement ("Even the best dog can bite if it’s loose, away from its owner and stressed or frightened")

I worked as a Firefighter/Paramedic for 25 years. I have seen and treated my share of dog bites.
The fact is there is a BIG difference between a dog bite and a pitbull attack.

Pitbulls are killers, they are relentless. They do not just bite then move along. I have seen two pitbulls rip a dog in half one pulling from the head one pulling from the hind quarters shaking violently with tremendous strength. They do not stop the attack until they are stopped or there prey goes limp or is dead. And even then sometimes they do not stop or let go. They have incredible power in there jaws. They are the Great White Shark of dog breeds.

I do not trust any of them even if they are on a leash. There have been many incidents where a Pittbull owner was walking there dog and the Pittbull has ripped the leash from the owners hand to attack another dog or person.
Yes and there are people that handle them and people that can’t and there are places for them and places they shouldn’t be. There are breeds of mastiffs that would make a Pitbull look like a puss. Pit bulls do not belong at dog shows and in the hands of the average person living in urban America. Unfortunately the worst of society has taken a shine to the breed and has bred it into a monster. Let’s not forget that back in the day it was the dog on the little rascals TV show. The breed doesn’t need to be exterminated and anyone making that kind of statement is a moron. What the breed needs is responsible owners and breeders who will breed them for positive characteristics and not the bad characteristics. The first step in the process would be holding the owners accountable for violent animals and making it count. There is very few out of control animals that have stand up, good people for owners. Behind every POS dog is a scumbag owner. Perhaps in a perfect world we could cull both the dog and the owner.
© 24hourcampfire