Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Two years ago a pit and small mut, chased the wife into the house. Both were placed on the owners porch. When our catahoula bit the grand daughter, it was placed in a grave. I like dogs, I won't tolerate one that attacks people. The dog at the show should be decomposing in the ground!

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
If there were nothing but very responsible Pit owners, we'd see far fewer attacks. They'd still attack more than any other breed by a wide margin though. Unfortunately the breed attracts trailer trash type owners. The combination compounds issues.

Not true. Number one dog who bites? Labs. By a mile. Because there's millions of them. Pits just do more damage when they do bite.

And yes, trash will be trash.

I distinguish between a bite and an attack. But if we go with bites, this is what I came up with. https://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/dog-breeds-that-bite-humans-most

My numbers came from an insurance study 15 years ago. It may be different today for whatever reason. But yeah bite and attack are not the same

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of examples.

1) the Nez Perce Indians of the upper northwest developed the Appaloosa "breed". (not really a breed, but a color phase).
When the (ahem!) non-native people saw the brightly colored animals, they went nuts, breeding anythingbthat may throw a blanket.
The Indians had long neutered or euthanized and animal that had bad conformation or temperament.
Not the "white man".
Soon, the Appaloosa had a reputation of being bad tempered or nutty.
It wasn't until the late 60's until breeders finally realized they had to "weed out" bad traits. The Appaloosa has finally begun to be an animal with a somewhat stable temperament!

2) my nutty, pit bull crazy neighbor had a female that threw some awesome pups. She was always calm and friendly towards him....until he stepped in her pen to feed her one day! She attacked and latched onto his forearm.
He spent half a day at an ER getting patched up.
He got home, grabbed his hand gun and walked out to the dog pen where she greeted him, tail wagging in her usual friendly manner and he neutralized her!

3) a rodeo competitor was walking his family through the contestants parking lot when a pit bull bit his young daughter. Some young punk, too lazy to put his "stuff" up, chained a pit bull to his trailer to protect his gear. The child inadvertently got too close and the dog pounced.
The competitor got his family back to safety and told his wife, "I'll be right back!"
The dog was later found dead in a pool of blood!

As long as breeders are more concerned with $ instead of confirmation and temperament, these problems will persist.
Soooo.....I don't blame it all on the "breed", the breeder is also complicit by not neutralizing bad traits.
Sadly, until time (decades) and competent breeders can eliminate that "attack mode", the pit bull will have that reputation.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Would like to know how many of these were stupid people creating a situation where the dog thought it had to defend itself

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've only seen one, a friendly dog.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Pit bulls are like Remington triggers. Some are known to be bad, the rest are just waiting to magically go off some day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Pit bulls are like Remington triggers. Some are known to be bad, the rest are just waiting to magically go off some day.
HAHA, I like that!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The handler was the one out of control of the dog. If you can not control your dog, you have no business owning that dog. I am a dog person, grew up on a farm, I do not tolerate animals that cause any problem for me or a neighbor of any kind. If they do not mind, or obey commands, that is a real problem.

Just carry a can of premium starter fluid, is great for dog control, it is pure ether and will put the baddest dog down in an instant. Does an instant sull and stun on a dog, when sprayed in the dog's face. The olfactory nerve sensors 12 times stronger than an human, are overcome, and they connect direct to the dog's brain.

For aggressive people, forget pepper spray, use wasp spray, it sprays in a stream, blinds instantly, is a guaranteed trip to the emergency room. Never can tell when you might get a wasp in your vehicle or office.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 12 years ago my Mom and her little Schnauzer were walking down the road in our rural area, a Pitbull came out and beat the dog up, my Mom tried to stop it and it turned on her, biting her badly on the hand requiring stitches, the dog was bleeding and ilmp in shock. I went over there right away and the owner had already taken the Pit somewhere else.

I was seething and going to kill something, the cops showed up and I said to him.......I am going to kill that fugging dog, then I'm going to get my hands on the owner and it isn't going to be good. The Cop found the owner and dog, seized the dog and had it put down, he came to my house and said he watched it die and said he understood, then told me to leave it alone, which I did.

Two extremely aggressive Rottweilers in my rural hood have gone missing and were found with a bullet in the brain pan, both dogs and owners were and are trash.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love dogs but my wife is not a dog person so I don't own dogs. However, when I see a dog with someone and it is being friendly I like to give it some attention by petting it . I always ask the owner first if the dog is friendly and is it okay to pet their dog. I've found that a lot of owners are very aware of unexpected traits their dog may have and will warn you away from contact with them if there is a problem- or will say they love to be petted and talked to. There are a couple gals in the neighborhood who walk their large dogs on a semi regular basis on our street. When I'm out in the yard I always say hi to the neighbors and converse for a few minutes if they are interested. A couple times I have simply said hi and the large dogs- a Doberman and a Bully type dog instantly came to attention and placed themselves between me and their owners and were at full alert until the owner pulled them away. A learning experience for the owner I think as I was kind of expecting the reaction from past experiences.

No dog bites for quite some time, but only because I've learned my lessons a long time ago when my family did have dogs...

My daughter in law worked in a vet clinic for quite some time when she was younger and the general consensus was that two breeds of dogs were the worst biters in their clinic and pretty much in all vet clinics. The two she told me surprised the heck out of me- Black Labs and Saint Bernards

Last edited by Sheister; 03/29/24.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This Pitbull thread hits different than the last 100.

Our soon to be Son In Law found a dog in the woods and brought him home. Obviously Bulldog, but mixed.
One vet said “Staffordshire Terrier”.
Our vet said “Pitbull”, then clarified what that means exactly. He agreed with the Staffordshire assessment.

Hoss is even more chill than our Boxer, Dillon.
Super calm, relaxed, gentle.

The vet agrees, and has no concern about aggression, once he gets his nuts cut.

But I worry about our daughter, and future grandkids.
Add this to the list.😏

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All dogs are genetically modified wolves.

You wouldn't buy a Drathaar and try to turn him into a dog that cuddles with kittens.
You wouldn't buy a miniture poodle and run him in a hunting trial.
You wouldn't buy an English Pointer and try to train him to herd cattle

Why would you buy a Pit Bull and try to turn him into a cuddly dog that plays with your kids??????

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shiester,

We have a Boxer now, have had dogs for a long time.

Never had an aggressive dog, making some exception for the nature of a Jack Russel. She wasn’t offensive, but it didn’t take much to make her defensive.

After an incident with her and a total stranger. Where she went stiff and was immediately at fight to die status, holding her ground, I’ve learned to judge people by my dog.

Six months after Casey’s reaction to John, he was on the front page, above the fold.

Accused Child Molester Accused of Arson/Attempted Murder!
Sets fire to home with the witness inside!

If my calm dog alerts on someone,
that’s all I need to know. And am glad to know it!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The trouble with Labs is one cannot throw anything away!!!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
End of the day, there is too much information on these animals to take the risk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pit bulls are capable of inflicting terrible damage. Could actually break bones and tear an arm off. They were bred to be relentless fighters impervious to pain. Once they attack they just won’t quit. They are beautiful dogs, but I wouldn’t want one as a pet.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by asheepdog
Originally Posted by Blackheart
It disgusts me how people act like a bunch of chim panzees flailing their arms around, screaming and wailing and yet not knowing or doing anything effective to put an end to a dog fight/attack. I'm not one of those people.

Agreed. There would be accountability even if I got bit also. A sharp knife would work wonders and the aggressor would most likely not survive. Not because I want to take the life of the dog, but I refuse to let mine be victimized any more than I would let myself be victimized.
This ^^^

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
It disgusts me how people act like a bunch of chim panzees flailing their arms around, screaming and wailing and yet not knowing or doing anything effective to put an end to a dog fight/attack. I'm not one of those people.

That’s because the vast majority of people walk around clueless and totally unaware of their surroundings. When something bad happens most people can’t think on their feet. They go straight to red and panic.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Love how gentle the owner of the Pit Bull was trying to get it off the Husky.

Me, owner of the Husky?

1 step forward. BLAM.

Bye..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Presently we have a lab cross. It will protect my wife with it's life. When me and the dog are by our self, Ii's every man for himself. No body gets to stick their hand in the truck window though.

Been the same with the three previous dogs before that. A blue heeler, full blooded wolf, and Samoyed. I am not a fan of all this wolf reintroduction and think they out to be shot on sight, but ours was 1/2 arctic and 1/2 an canadian female. Best pet we ever had.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 20 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,050
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.