Home
Posted By: Teal Beers - 01/22/11
We seem to run a scotch/whiskey thread every 6 weeks or so. Been awhile since we did a beer one.

Thought I'd fire one off in honor of it being Saturday.

Whatcha drinking lately and if you make your own - roll us the specs...

Lately I've been hitting the craft/micro section of Woodmans.

Been loving:

1554 from New Belgium. (Black Ale)
Abby from New Belgium. (Belgian dubbel 8.5% ABV)

Apple Ale from New Glarus - only sold in WI like all New Glarus beers. Basically once a year they brew something off the wall and there's no guarantee how much or if it will ever be offered again. I'm liking this one very much.

Duvel by Duvel. Bottle conditioned Belgian Ale. Pretty good. Like it quite a bit but at 8.5% ABV, you're not going to pound a case of it.

Breweries:

New Belgium
New Glarus
Duvel
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I like beer a little more redneck than that I guess:

Miller High Life or MGD is my go to beer.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: Beers - 01/22/11
i love Double Dead Guy when i can find it. its like 13% ABV

also love Double IPA by Wild River Brewing here in town. the best beer i ever had, and they quit making it as soon as i discovered it. frown
Posted By: Teal Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I never could like the usual Bud/Miller/Coors stuff. But lately I've expanded more, tried more, read up on different beer styles and found things I like.

I can and do occasionally like a PBR or Schlitz (60's recipe) in a pounder. Hamm's is off the menu tho. I can't like that at all.
Marty -

If you can get your hands on some Dogfish Head IPA's - might like those. Their 90minute is great stuff.
Posted By: GreenHornet47 Re: Beers - 01/22/11
How about a grain belt? I remember some years ago driving across WI and MN wondering what the hell a 'GB' was.
Dang - almost forgot the local stuff I've tried recently.

All of these are from Titletown Brewery .

Dark Helmut - prob my favorite of theirs. Black German Lager
Claymore Scottish Ale - #2 on my list of favorites.

Tried a sample of their Hopasaurus Rex. Liked it and will go full pint next time I'm there.
Posted By: Duquesne_Beer Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Duke, Michelob, Straub, Big City when I am at my friend Al Coholic's house.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Its "Premium"; says so on the bottle.....its really a sweeter, Miller High Life taste.

1960's Schlitz beer for me....
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Been on a gray's brewing busted knuckle kick lately.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: byc Re: Beers - 01/22/11
This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness, and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price. Brewed by our original all natural process using the choicest Hops, Rice and Best Barley Malt.

I do like a really cold Tecates as well.
i will drink Pabst too when i need a cold one to slam in the summer. it goes down fine when its hot. not so much when its cold out...
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I'm a man of simple tastes, I taste 'em and simply decide if I'll buy 'nother.

There is bar/sandwhich shop in Corpus Christi that specializes in import beers. You fill out an index card with your name on it, and every type of beer you try gets recorded. I must have a couple-dozen entries, but pale in comparison to many, who have hundreds of entries.

Several walls of the place are adorned with photo's of patrons who have sampled all (or most) of 'em available - it takes months, if not years.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Long Hammer IPA
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Lagunitas IPA
Kokanee
Posted By: seattlesetters Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Lots of good stuff up here. My current refreshments include Snoqualmie Falls Wildcat IPA, Maritime Pacific Imperial IPA and Jolly Roger winter brew, Boundary Bay IPA, Black Raven Trickster IPA, Rogue Brutal Bitter and Three Skulls Hop The Plank IPA.

As you can tell, I'm quite the hop-head. [Linked Image]\r\nGoogle Login
i will drink Pabst too when i need a cold one to slam in the summer. it goes down fine when its hot. not so much when its cold out...

Me too, on all accounts.
The beers from Rouge and Stone are both on my list to try as well.

Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Pabst is way better on tap.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Beers - 01/22/11
DogFishHead 90 Minute IPA!!!!!
Pabst is way better on tap.

Watching the sanitation process (or lack thereof) involved in some tap beers made me a bottle-guy.
Posted By: antlers Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I like Stella Artois. Otherwise, go to's are Bud Light and Michelob Ultra.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Long Hammer IPA
Lagunitas IPA
Kokanee

had them all. good choices all.
Same here BUT I did like dark Schlitz on tap at Shakey's pizza.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Becks and New Castle for me..hate cheap beers!!! My wife says I have expensive taste..I just tell her that's good... won't let me drink as much this way !!!
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Long Hammer IPA by Redhook is one of my favorites. I just picked up a 12 bottle variety pack of Redhook beers. Ain't a bad flavor in the bunch.
I go for taste mostly and then check the particulars.

The Double Dead Guy from Rogue has me interested - it's 9% ABV so you can't drink a ton of it. Makes it easier on the wallet.
..... Schlitz on tap at Shakey's pizza.

Wow, did you knock the cobwebs off long-faded memories (and really date yourself). >grin<
High maintenance, and pilots seem to go hand-in-hand. >grin<
Originally Posted by teal
I go for taste mostly and then check the particulars.

The Double Dead Guy from Rogue has me interested - it's 9% ABV so you can't drink a ton of it. Makes it easier on the wallet.

not really at $12 a bottle... its spendy, as are all Rogue beers, but very good.

i also like Arrogant Bastard. and Double Bastard too.
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Long Hammer IPA
Lagunitas IPA
Kokanee

had them all. good choices all.

You get Anderson Valley beers up there? Their IPA is awesome..
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Right now I have Bell's Expedition Stout, Guinness Foreign Extra, and Great Lakes Brewery Burning River Pale Ale.

The Expedition Stout runs $18.99/6-pack and is 10.5% ABV. It has kind of a Porter type taste to it that I do not like. Most of Bell's beers are exceptional, though.

The Guinness FE runs $10/4-pack. It is 7.5% ABV. It is good stuff, and tastes more like a stout should in my opinion. Has smokey overtones. However, you should get 6 of them for your $10.

The Great Lakes pale ale is $8.99/6-pack. 6% ABV. It is a very good pale ale. Tastes nearly identical to Sierra Nevada pale ale. I'm sure they use the same hops.......
Thanks probably high maintenance..Pilot no,aircrew member,yes...But you're right pilots tend to be a might..better stop there before I get jumped on by the Squid aviators who lurk in these parts!! whistle grin
Anyone fire up a Barleywine? Wondering what that's like...
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Beers - 01/22/11
[Linked Image]

Any one of their Beers along with our local ro Brewery.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pete E Re: Beers - 01/22/11
From what I've tried, American beer is like having sex in a canoe ie its f***ing close to water! grin

I can only think you guys gave us Bud and Coors as the final FU after 1783! grin
Originally Posted by Pete E
From what I've tried, American beer is like having sex in a canoe ie f***ing close to water! grin

I can only think you guys gave us Bud and Coors as the final FU after 1783! grin

What have you tried?
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Grain Belt or see avatar. Forgot the Old Style.
BTW I have tried the New Glarius stuff and it is good too.
Posted By: Otter Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Back in the old days, when I drank on a regular basis I inhaled a lot of Falstaff, PBR, Grain Belt and Schmidt. Then I found I liked Miller High Life and when introduced, MHL-lite (not "Lite" or "MGD-Lite"). Now I drink very little of anything with alcohol in it, but with beers I like a darker, heavier beer now and then like Samuel Adams Cream Stout and similar brands. Find some nice micro-brews now and then, but as said, I don't drink much anymore, so my finds are few and far between.
Pete,Most of our popular brands are IMO..some of our best are from micro breweries however and I think they would be more to your liking!!
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Originally Posted by 444Matt

I've never been a beer drinker, but if I was, I think that's where I'd fall in.

Boutique beers, in some fancy fern bar, isn't what I think of when I think "beer".

I picture something more along the lines of sitting on the truck tailgate, with a can in your hand, not sitting in some trendy upscale gathering spot comparing notes.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Beers - 01/22/11
There is a Bar/Restaurant at the Pike Place Market in Seattle that I've gone to that has over thirty or forty different import beers on tap that I like to go to and sample their wares along with a meal. A window seat, a meal and exploring the imports is a must if you make it to Seattle's Pike Place Market while you are in Seattle.
Posted By: pa_gus Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I love wheat beers this is currently my favorite although my "favorite" changes on an almost monthly basis

franziskaner hefe-weisse dunkel
Originally Posted by ColdBore

Boutique beers, in some fancy fern bar, isn't what I think of when I think "beer".

I picture something more along the lines of sitting on the truck tailgate, with a can in your hand, not sitting in some trendy upscale gathering spot comparing notes.

just cause your sitt'n on a tailgate doesn't mean you have to drink krappy beer!..... smile
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Originally Posted by Mako25
Watching the sanitation process (or lack thereof) involved in some tap beers made me a bottle-guy.

You'd puke if I could show you the bottle that sat at my great aunt's house for years when I was a kid.

Back then, they'd re-use the whole bottle, rather than the crushing and melting of today's recycling.

Apparently they weren't having such a great day on the bottle washing line that day.

You know how smokers will stick their butts in a can (or in this case, a bottle), to put them out?

Yep, they just went ahead and refilled the bottle with beer, capped it, and into the case, with probably a dozen old butts floating in it! sick

It's been probably 30 years since I last saw that bottle, but it sure stuck with me!
Originally Posted by ColdBore

I like beer to taste like beer. Plenty of Sierra Nevada bottles rattling around in the back of my truck..
Used to live up your way years ago..they still brewin "Ole froth-n-slosh" round the holidays ??
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I had a cousin bring me some Alaskan Amber and Bayern Pilsner back from Montana.

Also, when I hit the Seattle area I really enjoy Mac and Jacks African Amber.

ddj
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Beer makes me pee too damn much.

It's hard to enjoy a buzz when ya constantly waddlin' back and forth to the bathroom.

,..and if ya old,..like I am,..there's that wet spot on ya blue jeans ya gotta worry about.

You old guys know what I sayin',...You can squeeze, squeeze, squeeze 'till ya blue inna face,...shake it 'till people start lookin',..and it's still gonna dribble a spot own ya britches,...especially if ya been drinkin' beer.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Been drinking Samuel Adams Boston Lager here lately...
Posted By: T LEE Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I been on Amber Bock for several years as a "daily beer" and Guinness Draft for the more important times.
Posted By: prm Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Don't really drink much beer, but the normal order is Michelob Ultra. When I can find it, Weihenstephaner is my preferred (not the weissbier version).
Terry I got a case of Guiness in the basement! Come on up!nice I'll get the fire going nice and warm for ya!
I would never make it past the FL border, I would be a Floridasicle!
EH. once these Florida transplants get a foot hold and forget that we REALLY do have the "FOURTH" season..you couldn't move em with a cake of C4 !!! laugh
BET ME BUCKWHEAT! smile smile
Posted By: Redneck Re: Beers - 01/22/11

Miller High Life or MGD is my go to beer.
I'm bein' dissed. laugh

Leinie's Creamy Dark here...
Posted By: lmartin Re: Beers - 01/22/11
i dont know if its just me or if other people find this too , but i find that during the different seasons of the year i like different kinds of beer for example over summer all i drink is ice cold, miller lite, coors lite,or budweiser select . but when its cold outside i can hardly drink any of the above mentioned beers, the last two winters i have been drinking everything i can find that is brewed by these people http://www.boulevard.com/wp-content/themes/boulevard960/ageverify.php?r=http://www.boulevard.com or when i want something different i get whatever i can find from this brewery http://www.bluemoonbrewingcompany.com/
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Beers - 01/22/11
From what I've tried, American beer is like having sex in a canoe ie its f***ing close to water! grin

Pete:

Tell us what you like. We'll give you a selection of craft beers to try when you come over. (Bud and Coors are not beer. I would call them fermented grain beverages.)

Personally, I favor Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, an IPA, and Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce Scottish style ale.

Not available everywhere in the US, but you can find Dogfish Head just about anywhere.

- Tom
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
EH. once these Florida transplants get a foot hold and forget that we REALLY do have the "FOURTH" season..you couldn't move em with a cake of C4 !!! laugh

I left active duty partially because my next duty station was going to be Offutt or Korea. After Colorado, Germany and Ohio, there was no way I was going to go to another freezing ass cold place. Anything below 60 is an annoyance, and the 60's themselves get old after a few days.
Posted By: mathman Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Pilsner Urquell is a staple around here.

I've been drinking a bunch of Paulaner Oktoberfest lately, along with Anchor Humming and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.
Back to beer.

I'm digging some French Canadian stuff I picked up.... La Fin Du Monde. One of the better Canuck brews I've had. 9% alc....this ain't Budweiser piss water.

Also in my fridge right now are Radeberger Pils, Czechvar Pils and some Sam Adams Lager.
Damn FB we don't got no stinking cold here at Offutt!!! whistle
It's about 13� here now. I hear it is going to hit 18� shocked
for example over summer all i drink is ice cold, miller lite, coors lite,or budweiser select

I can't drink that swill at any time. Pilsner Urquell is light beer for me.

mathman:

I'll tip an Urquell myself from time to time.

Ever try a German pilsner called Jever? I can recommend it.

- Tom
I've seen the tap handle, but I don't recall trying it. Is it in the dry, north German style?
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Damn FB we don't got no stinking cold here at Offutt!!! whistle

Shyt, since at any one time 40% of my AFSC was at SAC HQ back in the day, half the people I worked with had gone through Offutt. Their stories of winter were enough for me. wink

I went into my division OIC at Wright Pat, a full bird colonel and told him.... "Sir, I'll go to Howard, Beale, Hickam, MacDill or any tropical special duty station you want to send me, but I can't do Offutt.....

A month later I was in the reserves back in Florida.... LOL
I have had Jever right from Germany. It is a decent beer. Much like all the other German Pilsners......
Amber Bock is my go to "lite" beer! smile smile
what pisses me off is that i cant get my favorite beer of all time around here for some reason . which would be the one and only Yeungling lager http://www.yuengling.com/our_beer/

mathman:

Don't know enough about German styles to be helpful in a comparo, but my favorite wine shop will crack a bottle of beer to let customers taste. The sales guy said it would taste "grassy". It did, if that helps you. (I bought some on the spot.)

Lots of flavor. Around here, it'll run about twice the cost of Urquell, so I only have it once in a while. I haven't had it from the tap.

- Tom
Originally Posted by lmartin
what pisses me off is that i cant get my favorite beer of all time around here for some reason . which would be the one and only Yeungling lager http://www.yuengling.com/our_beer/

The're rapidly expanding and importing to new areas, I would ask a distributer around your area if they could get some. my cousin just got his local beer store in Ok to get it on a mounthly basis so I don't see why mizzou would be a problem unless they have some weird lcb laws.

If you really need some and want to pay the freight I'll be glad to send you some! As this is our local brewery there is at least 3 different yuengling taps in every bar. I'm about lagered out, though I thoroughly enjoy one from time to time. The black and tan is damn good beer IMO and at 12.99 for a case of pounders you can't go wrong!
Originally Posted by pa_gus

The're rapidly expanding and importing to new areas, I would ask a distributer around your area if they could get some. my cousin just got his local beer store in Ok to get it on a mounthly basis so I don't see why mizzou would be a problem unless they have some weird lcb laws.

If you really need some and want to pay the freight I'll be glad to send you some! As this is our local brewery there is at least 3 different yuengling taps in every bar. I'm about lagered out, though I thoroughly enjoy one from time to time. The black and tan is damn good beer IMO and at 12.99 for a case of pounders you can't go wrong!
Thanks for that info i will definately check with my local distributor. I never thought of that blush. I will definately keep your offer in mind and if i cant get anybody local to get it i will look into the cost of freight shipping and go from there.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Originally Posted by Mako25
..... Schlitz on tap at Shakey's pizza.

Wow, did you knock the cobwebs off long-faded memories (and really date yourself). >grin<

I'm thinking Pizza Hut had it for awhile as well, but I've been wrong before, I don't mind telling you.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I've heard much about this beer but have never tried it. What is it's closest comparable. Short of driving to PA or ordering it online I will never see it. We have too many big breweries (The Detroit and Milwaukee breweries) near me to allow anymore. Not to mention all the other smaller and local ones.
Posted By: RAS2 Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Guinness or Amber Bock.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Pete:

Tell us what you like. We'll give you a selection of craft beers to try when you come over. (Bud and Coors are not beer. I would call them fermented grain beverages.)

Personally, I favor Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, an IPA, and Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce Scottish style ale.

Not available everywhere in the US, but you can find Dogfish Head just about anywhere.
- Tom

Tom/Teal,

From time to time, we used to have US Troops working with us and there was always a lot of good natured ribbing over beer. We'd say the stuff they brought from the PX was as weak as knats p1ss and they would give us a hard time over "warm British beer"..

I don't drink that much these days, but when I do, I prefer a pint of traditional bitter over the bottled lagers that are now the fashion...

In summer, if the weathers warm and I am working outside, a glass of cool dry cider (preferably proper brewed-on-the-farm scrumpy) or perry (pear cider) goes down a treat...

Pete,
I was wondering why Europeans drink their beer warm?
You boys sho' do have fancy taste in beer. I mean it's just beer after all. smile

Been thinking about making my own simply to know how. Just in case SHTF ya' know!

Maybe I'll make some of that Indian Whiskey.
Originally Posted by RAS2
Pete,
I was wondering why Europeans drink their beer warm?

Apart from "mulled" beer which you don't see very often these days, its not really warm, but just not super cold...The reason is that if you chill food or drink right down,it simply masks the flavour/taste...

Also, historically, pubs wouldn't have had refrigeration ect, and the beer would have been served at the temp of the cellar where the casks were kept..

These days, most most pubs have chilled beer lines, but usually lager is still served older than bitter. That said there is a fad for chilled Guiness these days, so part of it is fashion as much as anything..
Originally Posted by brinky72
I've heard much about this beer but have never tried it. What is it's closest comparable. Short of driving to PA or ordering it online I will never see it. We have too many big breweries (The Detroit and Milwaukee breweries) near me to allow anymore. Not to mention all the other smaller and local ones.
i would say Amber Bock would be pretty close to the Yeungling lager original, now the yeungling black and tan kinda has a flavor of its own,some people say the taste of it needs to grow on ya but i liked it instantly, the lord chesterfield ale is kind of a bitter-sweet flavor,[its the only yeungling product i dont really care for]the yeungling lager light is very good to me it tastes just like the original but it doesnt fill you up as fast, thats about all i can tell you because the other yeungling products i have not had the pleasure of sampling yet.
Pete,

Thanks for the info. I had also heard drinking beer at room temp helps prevent hangovers. When it's cold and you drink it the rapid change in temp helps cause a hangover.

Don't know how much truth there is to it but heard Europeans don't get many hangovers.

From time to time, we used to have US Troops working with us and there was always a lot of good natured ribbing over beer.

You have to remember, these are GI's we're talking about. Mostly young, and awfully dumb about the likes of beer..

My SIL lives in Oceanside California, very close to a Marine Corps playground.. She even married one.. Well, one year we were visiting, and I needed a reload of the hotel room fridge. I made the mistake of going to one of the closest liqour stores to the post. I go in and they had about a mile of Budweiser Lite in a cooler. Then another mile of Coors Light next to it... And then way down in the bottom corner they had a couple of sixpacks of Heinekin and Coronas with spider webs all over them..

I did the right thing and traveled up the road a few miles to find a bit better selection..
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Leinie's current seasonal beer, 1888 Bock, is pretty tasty.

JEff
Originally Posted by brinky72
i would say Amber Bock would be pretty close to the Yeungling lager original, now the yeungling black and tan kinda has a flavor of its own,some people say the taste of it needs to grow on ya but i liked it instantly, the lord chesterfield ale is kind of a bitter-sweet flavor,[its the only yeungling product i dont really care for]the yeungling lager light is very good to me it tastes just like the original but it doesnt fill you up as fast, thats about all i can tell you because the other yeungling products i have not had the pleasure of sampling yet.

good stuff! I have to get mine bootlegged in frown
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Mickey's! :

http://www.mickeys.com/Default.aspx

Leave in the trunk of the car a couple weeks and then re-chill it for a true skunky flavor!

Better in a 40 but the wide mouths let you chug it before it hits your taste buds

The Mean Green!
Originally Posted by RAS2

Don't know how much truth there is to it but heard Europeans don't get many hangovers.

I wish there was even a grain of truth in that, but when I was younger and more foolish, I've had hangovers that would slay an elephant!

Along similar lines, I've heard said that traditional ale's cause a less of a hangover than modern bottled lagers as the later has more chemicals added..Again, hangover wise, they both affect me the same and it was the quantity that was the major killer...
Back in the day, that was good stuff to sex up the girls.. That was before they invented cheerleader beer..
Loved the wide mouth barrel shaped bottles!!

Folks used to ask me how far I lived outside town and I'd reply---"oh about a 6 pack of Mickeys away."

You have to remember, these are GI's we're talking about. Mostly young, and awfully dumb about the likes of beer..

My SIL lives in Oceanside California, very close to a Marine Corps playground.. She even married one.. Well, one year we were visiting, and I needed a reload of the hotel room fridge. I made the mistake of going to one of the closest liqour stores to the post. I go in and they had about a mile of Budweiser Lite in a cooler. Then another mile of Coors Light next to it... And then way down in the bottom corner they had a couple of sixpacks of Heinekin and Coronas with spider webs all over them..

I did the right thing and traveled up the road a few miles to find a bit better selection..

I know what your saying...many of them were young and on their first trip outside the US..Over here, they'd hit the NAFFI and go for the premium extra strong bottled lagers and would be wasted after about 4 bottles!
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Beers - 01/22/11
In on particular order:

Smithwicks
Guinness
Moose Drool
Ommegang

there are others.
Boys just got the fever!!! grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Pete E,

When I get to your side of the pond again I'm looking forward to some Caledonia 80-.

Cheers!
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I'm having a Sam Adams Imperial stout now. I also have some Pilsner Urquell, Spaten Optimor, Spaten Premium, and a Sam Adams lager in my little fridge.

Like FlyboyFlem, I got expensive tastes. blush

Pete, I miss bitters and some of the pub ales over there in the East Anglia area.

My last Europe trip I walked through the lobby of the Bangor Me. Westin Inn singing the beer run song while pushng a luggage cart loded with two cases of Czech Bud and four cases of German wine.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Spotted cow by New Glarus. especially with food.

Alaskan Amber aint bad either..

Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I drink Water. Created the day the Earth was made. I also drink Tea made from plants that were created the day the Earth was made.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I drink Water. Created the day the Earth was made. I also drink Tea made from plants that were created the day the Earth was made.

Isn't Beer made from water and plants that were created the day the earth was made? or am I missing something?
Here is a beer story that i really enjoy.
Humans originally existed as members of small bands of nomadic hunters/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer and would go to the coast and live on fish and lobster in the winter.

The two most important events in all of history were:

1. The invention of beer, and

2. The invention of the wheel.

The wheel was invented to get man to the beer, and the beer to the man.

These facts formed the foundation of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups:

1. Liberals

2. Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered , it required grain and that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so while our early humans were sitting around waiting for them to be invented, they just stayed close to the brewery.That�s how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to BBQ at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as the Conservative movement.

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly BBQ�s and doing the sewing, fetching, and hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal movement.

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. The rest became known as girlie-men.

Some noteworthy Liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy and group hugs, the evolution o f the Hollywood actor, and the concept of Democratic voting to decide how to divide all the meat and beer that Conservatives provided.

Over the years, Conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. Liberals are symbolized by the jackass.

Modern Liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu, and French food are standard Liberal fare.

Another interesting evolutionary side note:
most Liberal women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are Liberals.

Conservatives drink domestic beer. They eat red meat and still provide for their women. Conservatives are big-game hunters, rodeo cowboy s, firemen, lumberjacks, construction workers, medical doctors, police officers, corporate executives, athletes, Marines, and generally anyone who works productively. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to govern the producers and decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the Liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America . They crept in after the Wild West was tamed and created a business of trying to get more for
nothing.

Here ends today�s lesson in world history.

It should be noted that a Liberal may have a momentary urge to angrily respond to the above before forwarding it.

A conservative will simply laugh and be so convinced of the absolute truth of this history that it will be forwarded immediately to other true believers, and to more Liberals��.
just to piss them off.
I don�t really consider myself a lib or a con so please don�t shoot the messenger:

Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I'm having a Sam Adams Imperial stout now. I also have some Pilsner Urquell, Spaten Optimor, Spaten Premium, and a Sam Adams lager in my little fridge.

Like FlyboyFlem, I got expensive tastes. blush

Pete, I miss bitters and some of the pub ales over there in the East Anglia area.

My last Europe trip I walked through the lobby of the Bangor Me. Westin Inn singing the beer run song while pushng a luggage cart loded with two cases of Czech Bud and four cases of German wine.

Good taste... but you know you can get Budvar (Czechvar) here in the U.S. without lugging it back from the fatherland? wink
Having one of these right now. Tastes a lot like Sierra Nevada pale ale. Maybe a tad better.......

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/225
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Historically, ale was drunk in the UK as the water wasn't safe..I'm talking about way back when water borne illnesses weren't really understood and before tea and coffee had been discovered.

What they did know was that people who drank ale didn't get sick, so it was drank pretty much like we drink tea or coffee today..There is even records of ale being served to pupils at the earliest boarding schools.

Apparently these were an everday ale's, fairly low in strength, with "real" ales being served in taverns ect being akin to our premium strength lagers today.

Of course we know understand that it was the brewing process that made the ale safe to drink, where as ordinary water would have carried who knows what bugs..
Posted By: lightman Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I have several different Diamond Bears(made in Arkansas),New Belgium,North Coast,Bell,Boulevard,Sierra Nevada,Goose Lake,and several others in my beer fridge.Latest finds include Dead Guy Ale,Old Rasputin Russian Stout,Kilt Lifter,and Dark Truth Stout.Currently working on a bigger beer fridge.Most of you guys have excellent taste! Lightman Oh yeah,have at least three different Shiners.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Beers - 01/22/11
Foxbat, thanks for the info. With a C-130 there was plenty room for the beverages. I took the beer and wine into the hotel that one and only time because the temp the night we stayed in Bangor was really cold. eek

I'm retired now (2002) so I'll keep an eye open for the Czechvar. wink
Posted By: Skeezix Re: Beers - 01/22/11
I like Turbodog by Abita Brewing, a Cajun beer. Also liberate a fair amount of Leinie's.
Foxbat, thanks for the info. With a C-130 there was plenty room for the beverages. I took the beer and wine into the hotel that one and only time because the temp the night we stayed in Bangor was really cold. eek

I'm retired now (2002) so I'll keep an eye open for the Czechvar. wink

It's been one of my favorite beers for decades. First time I had it was at Templehof AB. They served it in the little bowling alley that was in the hangar/building. Got hooked on it.
Blatz wink grin
Originally Posted by Skeezix
I like Turbodog by Abita Brewing, a Cajun beer. Also liberate a fair amount of Leinie's.

+1 on both
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Currently on the Kegerator--WINTER SKAL, Capitol Brewing Co. Madison, WI

Slainte'

WN
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Originally Posted by Redneck

Creamy Dark is one of my favorites. I really wanted to try Big Eddy, still bummed that I couldn't find it around here.
Posted By: Teal Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Really surprised more of us here aren't making our own.

Tried a Michelob Pale Ale last night. Was okay, better than the usual but not nearly as good as something from New Glarus or Titletown. Drank my last Apple Ale too. I need to make a Woodman's run today....
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Beers - 01/23/11
I'm a IPA slut. But haven't met to many beers I don't like.

So many great beers available in the U.S. today it's silly, and only getting better.
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Mickey's! :

http://www.mickeys.com/Default.aspx

Leave in the trunk of the car a couple weeks and then re-chill it for a true skunky flavor!

Better in a 40 but the wide mouths let you chug it before it hits your taste buds

The Mean Green!

DOOOD!!! Mickey's??? .... Retccchhh. sick wink
Posted By: Redneck Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Creamy Dark is one of my favorites. I really wanted to try Big Eddy, still bummed that I couldn't find it around here.
I still have about 6-7 bottles.. I limit myself to one/week... Hehehehee..

That's what I'd call a 'sippin'' beer..
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Creamy Dark is one of my favorites. I really wanted to try Big Eddy, stilbummed that I couldn't find it around here.
I still have about 6-7 Ebottles.. I limit myself to one/week... Hehehehee..

That's what I'd call a 'sippin'' beer..

Next time they make a run of it I'm gonna call a buddy who works for the local distributor and see if he can help me get some.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Over the past year I did a lil traveling around the states, had some really good beer up around West point, had yuengling and some Adirondack brewing company as well as some others that I drank too much of to remember! Over Christmas was in the Seattle area and my BIL had quite a bit from Scuttlebutt brewing company that was pretty darn good. Had to have some Ranier too for old time sakes.
Really been enjoying alot of beer here in CO, like alot of the New Belgium stuff as well as Breckenridge Brewings stuff. Glad that we get Alaskan here now, since I got hooked on that when I was in WA in the 90's.

That being said I always have "garage" beer in stock for when I am working on the bike, either Pabst or Keystone. When I am working on the bike I like the cheap beer, cuz if I forget about it, I don't feel bad when I find it the next day!
Posted By: mathman Re: Beers - 01/23/11
I won't put the mileage on my liver and kidneys to drink a beer I care that little about.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Odells is one of my favorites from Colorado. Left Hand is a great brewery as well as Oskar Blues. Many others in CO. are putting out amazing beers. A target rich state for sure!
Posted By: bucktales Re: Beers - 01/23/11
My ex was Bavarian. Many trips to her homeland "educated " me, (Beerwise at least).
Here's a few of my current favorites...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redneck Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Good point.. BIL had a big bottle of some kind of Bavarian beer last time we were at their place..

Excellent stuff - and had quite a kick to it, IIRC..
Posted By: mathman Re: Beers - 01/23/11
I had a buddy in the airlines, and we used to take advantage of his travel benefits to take beer vacations in Munich.

One time we took another friend of ours, and after he returned he didn't drink much beer at all for more than a year. After having beer of that quality, truly fresh from the tap, often in the same building where it was made, he said he was really let down by the taste of just about everything over here.
Posted By: High_Brass Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Probably my hands down favorite thus far is Anchor Steam. Then it goes in no particular order; Longhammer IPA, Saranac Pale Ale, Sam Adams Boston Lager. The two best that I can remember having (that sounded bad didn't it?) was Alexander Keiths in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada and Kilkenny in Barcelona Spain.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Beers - 01/23/11
I'm drinking Paulaner double bock right now. It's okay......
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Black and Tans with Sam Adams Cream Stout and Sam Adams Noble Pils.

Expat
Posted By: lmartin Re: Beers - 01/23/11
went and bought some of these for today while watching football and grilling pork steaks [img]http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/boulevard-pilsner[/img]
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I'm drinking Paulaner double bock right now. It's okay......

The Salvator? Strangely, Paulaner's double bock is not their best effort. Their Lager and Pils are exceptional though.

Yep. And I agree.......
Just switched over to a Great Lakes Burning River pale ale. Much better......
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Beers - 01/23/11

I like their Edmund Fitzgerald porter.
Posted By: Eeyore Re: Beers - 01/23/11
Oskar Blues 'Old Chub' and Moylan's 'Kilt Lifter' scotch ale.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Beers - 01/23/11
I like Fosters and Bud Light.

I like their Edmund Fitzgerald porter.

That is what I almost bought when I picked up the Paulaner DB.....
Posted By: mathman Re: Beers - 01/24/11

The first step in solving that problem is admitting you have it. Nice start. grin
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Beers - 01/24/11
Originally Posted by mathman

The first step in solving that problem is admitting you have it. Nice start. grin

Dear Lord, even Aussies won't admit to drinking Fosters. grin

- Tom
Posted By: lmartin Re: Beers - 01/24/11
Hey, Fosters aint that bad ;]
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Beers - 01/24/11
I'll drink warm Lone Star too.
Posted By: mathman Re: Beers - 01/24/11
I'll drink warm Lone Star too.

The tap for that hangs under a horse.
No Old Milwaulkee!
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beers - 01/24/11
Fosters is so bad they use artificial coloring to make their ale and artificial carbonation.

It's the Aussie Budweiser.
I'll eat brussel sprouts to even things out.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Beers - 01/24/11
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Will take more than sprouts to turn that around grin
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Beers - 01/24/11
How's come you ain't drinkin' Pearl?
Posted By: LBP Re: Beers - 01/24/11
Free Beer is best. Dos Equis if I'm buying... wink
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beers - 01/24/11

LOL
Posted By: Duquesne_Beer Re: Beers - 01/24/11
Before I was 21 the beer to drink was Olympia, we bought it in 16 ounce returnable bottles and as long as we had the case of empties - I could always get it filled.

We drank lot's of Blatz - it was .75 a bottle for a 40 oz.

The brought back Rheingold last year - how many people drank Rheingold beer?

I have been to the Straub and the Genesee and the Yuengling brewery before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheingold_Beer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_Brewing_Company

http://www.pabook.libraries.psu.edu/palitmap/StraubBrewery.html

Straub brewery was one of the first breweries to reopen after prohibition because they never got in trouble during prohibition for trying to brew beer.

Posted By: 1234567 Re: Beers - 01/24/11
Bristoe:

I know a person who had the same problem as you have. He also had post nasal drip.

He found a Dr. who agreed to graft the end of his nose to the end of his penis. Now, when he goes to the bathroom and does the shaking routine, he waits for the last little drop to show itself.

Then, the nose graft goes Snifff, and sucks the little drop back in. No more wet pants.

Another friend always had a stopped up nose. He needed to be circumsized, and the Dr. grafted the skin from his penis inside his nose. Now, when his sinisus get stuffy, all he has to do is urinate and his nose starts running and he can breath.

Amazing what medical science can do.
© 24hourcampfire