Home
Posted By: Steelhead Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
And upon our arrival, I am taking her family out to supper. The phone call just came in, it appears the vote was tallied and the decision is CRACKER BARREL for supper.

Words escape me
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Don't foget to tip the wait staff. After you pickup the check, of course.

On a related note, I just don't get the attraction to Cracker Barrel. If I wanted to pay for a chitty facsimile of home cooking, I'd hire myself to cook.
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
A friend of mine,his wifes family owns,runs cracker barrel.
not my favorite place to eat, honestly.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
The only letters in their alphabet soup spell SYSCO

Nothing like a trip so I can eat at a chain restaurant. Of course I've never seen any of them eat a steak any way but burned.
Posted By: Teal Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Sort of depends on where you are as to how bad the CB is.

What's the location and alternatives? (Want to know how bad you have it....)
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
The only thing I like at Cracker Barrel is there Chicken & Dumplings. But if I never ate there again, it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings.

If I go to that kind of Resterant, I usually go to Chili's. I LOVE their fried Chicken Chrispers! Otherwise, I'd rather stay home & cook a medium rare Filet on the grill
I can say for certain that there are a few better picks in the Philadelphia area and I ain't talking Philadelphia, Mississippi.
Damn - you're right. Town like Philly, the Cracker Barrel is really bad, it's almost if they TRIED to find the worst...
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Do we have the same relatives?
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And upon our arrival, I am taking her family out to supper. The phone call just came in, it appears the vote was tallied and the decision is CRACKER BARREL for supper.

Words escape me

The only things I eat at a Cracker Barrel are the Vegetable Plate Dinner and the Smokehouse Breakfast.

I try not to eat at chain restaurants at all.

You have my sympathies and not just for the dinner choice.

Ed

P.S. I'd be willing to loan you a body-worn DVR with hidden camera just to see your in-laws in action. grin

Not to worry, we've got it planned out. Supper at 4pm (that's when grandma likes to eat), we'll order iced tea and split an order of french fries.

Philly cheese steak at 9pm on the way back to the hotel!
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Bocella's Deli, Havertown

http://www.allmenus.com/pa/haverford/291583-boccellas-deli/menu/
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
It always amazes me how many people like to snootily proclaim how they don't eat at chain restaurants yet they seem to be packed to the gills and are making money hand over fist. I suspect they want to eat at 4 because they know if they show up after 5 they'll have to wait an hour to get into that awful chain joint.

I think you'll survive, you're just gonna crap it out 24 hours later anyway. I'm sure coast guard food was much more uppity. Suck it up and eat a chicken fried steak, you'll live.
Posted By: deflave Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
No offense, but anybody that opts for Cracker Barrel around Philly, is a moron.

Travis
You ain't telling me nothing I don't know.

Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
It always amazes me how many people like to snootily proclaim how they don't eat at chain restaurants yet they seem to be packed to the gills and are making money hand over fist. I suspect they want to eat at 4 because they know if they show up after 5 they'll have to wait an hour to get into that awful chain joint.

I think you'll survive, you're just gonna crap it out 24 hours later anyway. I'm sure coast guard food was much more uppity. Suck it up and eat a chicken fried steak, you'll live.

We got ourselves a Cracker Barrel fan here!
If I had other options whilst floating on the Bering Sea I would have taken them, but I didn't. There are a few other options around Philly.

Yep, chain restaurants are busy and popular, don't mean they are good. I think we are eating at 4 because that is when 82 year old women generally eat supper.

I hate the [bleep] places and I'm not prone to travel 1000 miles to eat someplace I can eat 40 miles away.
The family are all Obama supporters, those must be the ones packing the chain restaurants. This will be my 4th or 5th trip there and I've yet to have a home cooked meal.

Weird

I eat at chain restaurants when I'm on the road, draggin' ass, and gotta eat.

But as an example; I visited Minneapolis a couple months ago. I was there three days. I told the people that lived there to take me to the

1.) The best breakfast

2.) Best pizza

3.) Best Italian

4.) Best deli

If they took me to a freakin' Denny's, Pappa Johns, Olive Gardne, and a Wal-Mart, I would know they are [bleep] morons.

Travis
If they are happy, I'm happy.
If they are happy, I'm happy.

[bleep] that. When I drive, I make GD sure I'm happy. To hell with them.

Travis
I'm divorced by the way...

Travis
Posted By: ingwe Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13

Words escape me

Sounds like a pretty hi-falutin crowd to me Scott. Sure you'll fit in? grin

My relatives are big Bob Evans and Tim Horton fans..... We are mostly Irish....rumored to be pretty nice, so long as we are supervised by somebody white.
I can say for certain that there are a few better picks in the Philadelphia area and I ain't talking Philadelphia, Mississippi.

When you go to Philly, try this place; Friday Saturday Sunday
261 South 21st Street, Philadelphia.

Great food with great service in a small place. Go upstairs if you can.

Ed
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Holy balls, I thought the she-devil and I were going to die looking for a restaurant in Philly one night..

I hate to break it to ya, but we won't be going out to eat during your visit here.

We may grab a burger for lunch from Jays Drive In or O'Bryans Bar and Grill, but the rest of the cooking will be done here. I got some plans....
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Hardly. I haven't eaten at one in probably 15 years, I just think it's a pretty dumb thing to be beotchin' about. If your biggest problem is that you've got to eat a meal at a Cracker Barrel then you're having to reach to find something to complain about.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
I think at issue here is driving 1000 miles to eat at a cracker barrel to maintain matrimonial harmony...

Hardly. I haven't eaten at one in probably 15 years, I just think it's a pretty dumb thing to be beotchin' about. If your biggest problem is that you've got to eat a meal at a Cracker Barrel then you're having to reach to find something to complain about.

Going to Philly to eat bad food is plenty to complain about.
Posted By: NathanL Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
While on a 14 hour layover in Seattle last month I got a taxi and told him to take me to a REALLY GOOD restaurant to get a good steak. Dropped me off at a Dennys.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
I'll freely confess ignorance, fer me eating at a Cracker Barrel while on the road has always been a tad upscale, but then my yardstick for such matters is the "WAFFLE HOUSE" chain grin

Might be the wonderful accents of the waitresses in the Cracker Barrels in Tennessee skewed my opinion I dunno, but hey, gimme an Uncle Herschel's breakfast served by a Tennessee waitress (any time of day), too much coffee to drink, and a newspaper to read while I eat and I'm livin' LARGE cool

YMMV,
Birdwatcher
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
when my parents were alive, every time they visited, they wanted to take us out to dinner, always at Cracker Barrel.
Havent been there since they both passed.
Now,reading this thread,I miss the place. frown
Posted By: rem141r Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
CB = Dennies for white trash
Posted By: Longbob Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Just stab all of your relatives with the golf tees on the table. There should be plenty for each one.
Last time I ate at CB was 2003?

I had just moved to San Antonio, didn't know anyone and the family hadn't joined me yet. Did Thanksgiving there.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I'll freely confess ignorance, fer me eating at a Cracker Barrel while on the road has always been a tad upscale, but then my yardstick for such matters is the "Waffle House" chain grin

Might be the wonderful accents of the waitresses in the Cracker Barrels in Tennessee skewed my opinion I dunno, but hey, gimme an Uncle Herschel's breakfast served by a Tennessee waitress (any time of day), too much coffee to drink, and a newspaper to read while I eat and I'm livin' LARGE cool

YMMV,
Birdwatcher

And I thought I was the ONLY one who ever stopped at Waffle House cool
Ihop for me normally, but Waffle House when I am slumming.
Was in Panama City Fl once - there was a Waffle House across the street from a Waffle House.

Both places packed.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
I'm not hip with Cracker Barrel..? What's its equivelant west coast chain?
Denny's.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I'll freely confess ignorance, fer me eating at a Cracker Barrel while on the road has always been a tad upscale, but then my yardstick for such matters is the "Waffle House" chain grin
YMMV,
Birdwatcher

And I thought I was the ONLY one who ever stopped at Waffle House cool

OK, that's three of us that can admit our addiction to cheap, simple food. grin
Sometimes on the road I want a cheap, simple breakfast, and I know I can always get it at a Waffle House.
Never had any of the infamous illnesses that supposedly come from there and have always gotten edible food quickly.

Ed
Downmarket Applebee's?
Posted By: NathanL Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
The food is "ok" but but I Scott passed 50 of them on his 1,000 mile drive. They are everywhere there's an interstate exit in the south at least. I've only eaten at one once. Breakfast with a big group of people, not too many places you can seat 30 people for breakfast.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I hate to break it to ya, but we won't be going out to eat during your visit here.

We may grab a burger for lunch from Jays Drive In or O'Bryans Bar and Grill, but the rest of the cooking will be done here. I got some plans....

I would think a trip to over to Whittaker's Guns would be a must do as well.
wrong thread
Yep....

I'm probably in there 4 days a week. Twice today!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
The family are all Obama supporters,

Now the whole story makes sense.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/05/13
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Downmarket Applebee's?
gotcha.. Thanks
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Now I'm wanting 2 eggs over, bacon, white toast, and a large scattered and smothered.
Posted By: slymule Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Hell, nothing wrong with the Cracker Barrels I've eaten at, but must admit I've never eaten there for anything besides breakfast. I sure haven't had any complaints, and I might add that the wife enjoys going there also.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
When do you get to go to the Golden Corral?
Posted By: Teal Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by 700LH
When do you get to go to the Golden Corral?

Was one of the first places I ever saw someone wear suspenders with sweat pants.

Never again....
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Not a fan of either but I'll take Golden Corral over Cracker Barrell any ol day.
I just hate when you walk into a Cracker Barrel and the damn smell of all those friggin candles & potpourri overwhelms you. My Mom likes to go there, and it really kills my allergies.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
I love me some Waffle House but wouldn't stop at a Cracker Barrel to take a [bleep].

Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
I'll take Golden Corral over Cracker Barrell any ol day.

I'll take a bullet before I'm making that choice.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
The family are all Obama supporters...

WHAT!!! All that drama on that OTHER thread and it turns out you married interracial. Forrest Gump was right; "life is like a box of choc'lets".... ....and sometimes you marry one... wink

Birdwatcher
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Man,
I love stopping at some po dunk exit on some big slab of interstate south of the mason dixon line and getting a big old plate of biscuits and gravy with a few other treats that just don't exist up north. Waffle House is always a show for the AM meal on the road. Dont forget it was Tigers top spot for a while.
Now you can keep the Philly Cracker Barrel. If I am any where near there I am headed to Jim's for a Steak with Onions and if I am feeling crazy wiz all over it.
Will admit to trying a few CB out but not in a major city-ever. If there is no chance for a southern accent from the server its just too risky.
Good Luck and God help you with the politics chit chat with the inlaws.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by Longbob

Waffle House is a pretty sweet 3 A.M. after the bar breakfast location.
And I thought I was the ONLY one who ever stopped at Waffle House

To really appreciate WAFFLE HOUSE ya gotta roll in off of the innerstate after the bars and clubs close on your way to somewhere distant about 2 maybe 3am Sunday morning.

Yessir, the marrow and bones of America wink

Not sure anywhere else even comes close.

Birdwatcher
If I was going to Philly I think I would have to go to the Reading Market.

Stopped at Golden Corral for sports games a few times; along with a full team of hungry teenagers that needed feed. Pretty terrible chow.

But no schit, every time I've been there, at least 4 400+pounders were in there, gleefully gorging themselves, plates overflowing with gravy covered crap.

Ya, sorta like an improbably stereotypic Redneck reality show, 'cept its all LIVE grin

Birdwatcher

Stopped at Golden Corral for sports games a few times; along with a full team of hungry teenagers that needed feed. Pretty terrible chow.

But no schit, every time I've been there, at least 4 400+pounders were in there, gleefully gorging themselves, plates overflowing with gravy covered crap.

Yep. If you wanna see people over 400 lbs, just go to Golden Corral.
Posted By: prm Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Steelhead, it could be worse, they could want to go to Golden Corral. Simply the worst... Stick to the breakfast foods at the CB and you'll be okay. Enough grease for a month, but okay.
Originally Posted by Longbob

I love the WH late night.

I saw a guy get stabbed with a fork once.

Another time a few of us walked in and nobody was there but the waitress who ignored us. Every table was wrecked, big ol mess. We go to the far side and sit a a less filthy table and the cook sticks his out if the office and whispers "we're closed". The fella looked a little busted up.

The waitress cleaned out the register and left laugh I'm pretty sure she just lost it, whooped the cooks azz and boogied.

We ended up at a Huddle House that night. Pale imitation of the WH.

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
At least I can kill time playing the peg game with the 3 year old niece.

Ya, sorta like an improbably stereotypic Redneck reality show, 'cept its all LIVE grin

Birdwatcher

Good place for "people watching". Wal-Mart at similar times can be really bizarre, also. The real weirdos seem to come out at night.
If I was going to Philly I think I would have to go to the Reading Market.

Never ate at the City Tavern, just a few blocks south of Independence Hall but I can testify that the Colonial beers they serve there are absolutely wonderful cool

Birdwatcher
Good place for "people watching". Wal-Mart at similar times can be really bizarre, also.

'Cept everyone at Walmart ain't (check all that apply)....

Drunk....

Broken hearted....

Jealous.......

REALLY in love.....

REALLY in heat......

Depressed.....

Angry.....

Drunk....

REALLY angry at the party sitting at the table on the OTHER side of you.... grin

Birdwatcher

Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Never had a large order of pintos and large order of turnip greens from Cracker Barrel that wasn't good... Add a extra sweet relish with cornbread muffins. I can eat that anywhere and be golden.
However, I'm with you Scott 1,000 miles is a long way to go for beans and greens!
The last time I was in Philly I pretty much stayed at the Field House sports bar about a block away from Reading Terminal Market which has some wonderful food. My wife was at a international technology conference.
My liver was proud the conference only lasted three days, food there was good too!
Good place for "people watching". Wal-Mart at similar times can be really bizarre, also.

'Cept everyone at Walmart ain't (check all that apply)....

Drunk....

Broken hearted....

Jealous.......

REALLY in love.....

REALLY in heat......

Depressed.....

Angry.....

Drunk....

REALLY angry at the party sitting at the table on the OTHER side of you.... grin

Birdwatcher

Ha!

Don't forget the location of the grill. Right out in front where everyone can watch the greasy, hairy, pimple-backed, one-toothed, methed out cook sweat onto your bacon.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by rem141r

No man, you are confusing it with the "Creepy Ass Cracker Barrel" chain in Florida.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
What happened to the days when you travelled to see family or close friends, and they cooked a meal fit for a King for you ? Even those on the tightest of budgets would bring out the best they had, food and finery, and you were always made to feel welcome.

No matter where you visit me, north or south, I do my best to put on a good home cooked meal, and make you welcome. As my Grandmother used to say "If you leave here, hungry, thirsty, tired or unhappy, there's something wrong with you because we aim to please you, kith or kin".
I hear you Lynn. Every time people visit here I'm a cooking machine.

Her sister doesn't cook, dad doesn't cook and grandma sure as hell don't cook.

Don't forget the location of the grill. Right out in front where everyone can watch the greasy, hairy, pimple-backed, one-toothed, methed out cook sweat onto your bacon.

Like I said, no other establishment even comes close grin
I've been in the Field House a few times. I've logged about 100 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn across the street from it.
[quote=prairie_goat]

If you want to see people turning toxic green and gruesome gray while chowing down, Golden Corral is your must go to dining experience ! sick
Posted By: amax155 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
I put my foot down at the beginning of our mission trip to Alaska. First two days everyone wanted breakfast from McDonalds. I told them I didn't fly 5,000 miles to eat crap. Had to do the same thing on the last day when the group wanted Golden Corral. We ended up at Sewards Folly. Pretty good food

A woman that doesn't cook, it just doesn't compute in my world, I started my daughters early. To me it's a shame, nothing makes me as happy as cooking for others and seeing them appreciate it. To me it comes down to plain laziness, I truly believe it is the biggest part of the problem.

A woman that has two and three hours a day to primp and powder, sit on her butt in front the TV till she starts to gather dust, and bitch, fart, and complain on the phone all day, and has no know how or time to cook a meal, deserves to have her ass kicked daily.

God pity the men who have them and think they hit the jackpot crazy
Posted By: shreck Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13

Our wrestling team would stop at Golden Corral in Nags Head often. Bunch of starving guys. Belt buster, $4.99 with all the salad you could eat.
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
[quote=prairie_goat]

If you want to see people turning toxic green and gruesome gray while chowing down, Golden Corral is your must go to dining experience ! sick

I used to take my Grandmother to Golden Coral once a week. That was her favorite place.
She's been gone 10 years now. Haven't set foot in once since. I don't do KFC or MCD, either. If I'm forced to eat on the road, I always look for Chili's or if I'm slumming, Whataburger cool
Originally Posted by shreck

Our wrestling team would stop at Golden Corral in Nags Head often. Bunch of starving guys. Belt buster, $4.99 with all the salad you could eat.

It's pretty amazing to see how much food a team of 16 year old boys can put away. Remember to keep all your fingers and toes away from their mouths, they may be ingested along with the food!
If I'm forced to eat on the road, I always look for Chili's or if I'm slumming, Whataburger cool

Never been to a Whataburger, thought about it, but somehow just never got up the nerve. I really prefer a burger made at home, or one from Mom and Pop type restaurant, although those are far a few between nowadays.

If I go to Chili's, I eat their Chicken Enchilada Soup, and their Cajun Pasta, neither tastes like home, but they will do in a pinch !

Good restaurant food is hard to find these days, and when you find the place it is usually crowded all the time, or in someplace not exactly next door. Mind you, I have been known to be stubborn and wait longer than most for something good that I want, and I am also the kind of person that doesn't mind a long ride if it brings a special smile to my face or the people that are with me smile
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm divorced by the way...

Travis

Should I be happy or sad for you that it didn't last six months?
Posted By: Skeezix Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13

Words escape me

Aw schit, Steely. That sux majorly. I think I'd arrive there with a bad case of the screen door schits (supposedly, or some other malady for an excuse), and after the rest of the crew have left, then go eat at some place decent.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
At least I can kill time playing the peg game with the 3 year old niece.

Always take superglue to cracker barrel. Glue a few pegs in on the games on every table around you. It very well may be years before anyone jumps enough pegs to figure some are not coming out, but it is sill fun.
Golden Corral is on a case by case basis. The one in my home town is actually very good for the most part. That may be why it is one of the most successful GCs in the nation. But then again I do not know of another GC I would eat at.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
The real Greek gyro joints on Young Street are worth a stop.
Originally Posted by Skeezix

Words escape me

Aw schit, Steely. That sux majorly. I think I'd arrive there with a bad case of the screen door schits (supposedly, or some other malady for an excuse), and after the rest of the crew have left, then go eat at some place decent.

There's a good chance you'll leave with the schits....the one and only time I've eaten at a Cracker Barrel I got some sort of food poisoning, and spent a day alternately schitting and throwing up.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The real Greek gyro joints on Young Street are worth a stop.

There ya go!
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
To really appreciate WAFFLE HOUSE ya gotta roll in off of the innerstate after the bars and clubs close on your way to somewhere distant about 2 maybe 3am Sunday morning.

Waffle Houses are like Greyhound bus stations. I'd rather buy a Clif bar and an iced tea at a gas station and keep driving.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13

Words escape me

Prayers sent.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13

Words escape me

Truly a sad state of affairs. Fake a heart attack and have the amberlamps drop you off at Pat's or Geno's.
http://patskingofsteaks.com/
http://store.genossteaks.com/

BIL works at a large law firm downtown if the chitt hits the fan.

Denny.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
If I'm forced to eat on the road, I always look for Chili's or if I'm slumming, Whataburger cool

Never been to a Whataburger, thought about it, but somehow just never got up the nerve. I really prefer a burger made at home, or one from Mom and Pop type restaurant, although those are far a few between nowadays.

If I go to Chili's, I eat their Chicken Enchilada Soup, and their Cajun Pasta, neither tastes like home, but they will do in a pinch !

Good restaurant food is hard to find these days, and when you find the place it is usually crowded all the time, or in someplace not exactly next door. Mind you, I have been known to be stubborn and wait longer than most for something good that I want, and I am also the kind of person that doesn't mind a long ride if it brings a special smile to my face or the people that are with me smile
If you did a thread on favorite hamburger chain hamburger joints, Whattaburger would be number one in Texas and Oklahoma. I've eaten at them quite a bit and have come to prefer Popeye's which isn't a hamburger chain but is a chain. Whattaburger certainly isn't as good as a bunch of the joints around here but is better than most of the other chains.

We took my parents out to a local BBQ joint this evening. It was excellent. I haven't ate at Cracker Barrel since probably 2001.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Huh, I kinda like cracker barrel...
Posted By: rattler Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Huh, I kinda like cracker barrel...

i dont mind it, its cheap if nothing else and aint horrible.....but i do get Steelheads point.....if i drove 1000 miles to Philly i wouldnt be eating there ild be getting a cheese steak, hell prolly several trying to find a personal favorite grin
Yeah, not a chance.

Philly has some great eats.

I'm a home cooker for my guest, but if somebody wanted to go out, I'd want to show off the town, not take them to a chain.

Here it would probably be one of our BBQ joints.
if i really dont know an area and want to eat fast i usually eat at a chain of some sort i like cause i know ill atleast be ok with what i get and not have to either try and choke down a bad meal or spend the time and money to go and try a second place.....but if we arent in a hurry the wife and i like finding small places to try out, especially if we know someone from the area and can get solid recommendations.....especially if we can find an Irish pub that also has actual meal type food(versus quick fried bar food)....
I'd probably start with this list of Philly joints from "The United States of Bacon" show.

http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/s4/US-Bacon/PA/Philadelphia

I love bacon
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I love me some Waffle House but wouldn't stop at a Cracker Barrel to take a [bleep].

Well, when on the road and needing a clean bathroom to take a dump I've been known to find the nearest Cracker Barrel on multiple occasions.

Their chicken fried steak aint that bad and the Sunday fried chicken special is OK too.
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Well, when on the road and needing a clean bathroom to take a dump I've been known to find the nearest Cracker Barrel on multiple occasions.

Their chicken fried steak aint that bad and the Sunday fried chicken special is OK too.

they arent anything special at all as far as im concerned but ive spent a hell of alot of money for barely edible meals before aswell.....least i know at Cracker Barrel ill be able to eat it and it aint gonna cost me enough to matter.....

course that said we have one down in Billings where i get to fairly often and never go to it.....cause usually if i want cheap and fast food i eat at Cafe' Rio which is also a chain but i do love their sweet pulled pork burritos crazy
I don't think anybody's going to confuse it for gourmet food, but it's not bad food. I'd rate it as a step above fast food (wendys, arbys, etc.) and on the same level as applebees, chilis, etc. It's not a place I would travel to for the food but it's not bad when it's convenient.
I've long had an aversion to Crackerbarrel. Chik Fil A is another I can't stand. The wife LOVES it so we go when back east.

Oh well, that's what make the world go 'round.
I love me some Chik Fil A. Do you like any other fast food chicken?
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Scott is borderline "unteachable".

He completely under appreciated the vienna sausage and crackers I fed him.

Once you acquire a taste for them, you are never at the mercy of another person's choice in eating places. Just order a glass of tea, whip out the ol' vyeenees and crackers and ask the waitress if it's OK to use one of their forks to dig out the first vyeenee.

The other members of your party are free to order from the menu and everybody's happy.
Once you acquire a taste for them, you are never at the mercy of another person's choice in eating places...

Under them circumstances, where I was pulling out my Viennese and crackers like some crazy old coot, I'd slam a roll of TP on the table too and announce my complete emancipation grin
I ate the menudo cur had.
Well, bring the Viennese, crackers and TP along with ya. Hey, its never too late to make a bad impression grin
Posted By: doubletap Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
The family are all Obama supporters, those must be the ones packing the chain restaurants. This will be my 4th or 5th trip there and I've yet to have a home cooked meal.

Weird

Not a surprise for Philadelphia. In some precincts, Obama got 100% of the vote.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by doubletap

Not a surprise for Philadelphia. In some precincts, Obama got 100% of the vote.

Hell,,, that's nothing. In Chicago he got 110% of the vote.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
McDonalds drive through works for me.

Rare instance we go to Miles City it's Arby's or Wendy's.

Sometimes I will grab a to go pizza from the gas station.

Food snobs would starve around here.
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
I live just outside of Philadelphia (about 15 minutes) in Delaware County, PA. This used to be the Republican stronghold of southeast PA but after Bush II it has turned the other way. Sometimes it seems that the wife and I are the only good guys in town.
Scott if you get a chance next time your in Philly, El Vez is a block or two from the courthouse, kinda toward Locust street. You can make a meal out of the guacamole. They make it at your table, best I have ever eaten. The sangria is pretty good too. I used to go there every afternoon when I was trying cases in Philly. As much time as I have spent in New Mexico and Texas and Mexico I am surprised that my favorite mex restaurant is in PA.
I've walked by that place. Spent many a time in the various Irish pubs in center city. A few good Italian places in south Philly too.

None of this is about being a food snob, I'll eat most anything, but if I'm going to be around a big city (I'm in the sticks now), the last thing I want is to eat at a pseudo country cooking place. The only restaurants around here a country cooking.

Hell, I ate at an I-Hop with the FIL in New Orleans. Are you kidding me, eating at an I-Hop in New Orleans.
It the end, it's all good humor. As I said before, if they are happy then I am happy. Hell, at least the bill will not be much.
The food police should set up at any I hop in New Orleans and execute offenders smile
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
I'll admit to eating at Waffle House, Subway, and Whataburger when traveling in Texas.

I like the first two because I can watch my food being fixed.

And Whataburgers in Texas [their birthstate] seem to have employees who are waaaaay beyond any of their competitors.

Some of the best Mexican food I've ever eaten comes from restaraunts that do not bill themselves as "Mexican".

"George's" in Post, and another "family style" one on the East edge of Floydada come to mind.

And...... I ain't talking Tex-Mex.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Texas Roadhouse.

Killer ribs.
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
My wife and I always try to find a restaurant that has been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives or Man Vs Food when we are traveling.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13

A woman that doesn't cook, it just doesn't compute in my world, I started my daughters early. To me it's a shame, nothing makes me as happy as cooking for others and seeing them appreciate it. To me it comes down to plain laziness, I truly believe it is the biggest part of the problem.

A woman that has two and three hours a day to primp and powder, sit on her butt in front the TV till she starts to gather dust, and bitch, fart, and complain on the phone all day, and has no know how or time to cook a meal, deserves to have her ass kicked daily.

God pity the men who have them and think they hit the jackpot crazy

I hit the jackpot, When I was first married the wife couldn't even cook an egg, my mother took her in under her wing and taught her how to cook so now that my mother is gone I still have her cooking........Life is good!

BTW.........I've never heard my wife fart. wink
Posted By: MColeman Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Taj Mahal of puke palaces...Shoney's. You have to spray WD-40 on the soles of your shoes when you go the the local Shoney's to keep from sticking to the floor at the food bar and cash register. I mentioned to them more than once that their floors were sticky. Made no difference.

Chris and I would go there for lunch when he came to the shop because Chris loves to eat and they have a buffet. Every old fat ass in the country would come there to pig out. Even Chris had enough when he had to scrape old food off the silverware. Obama's 'son' (if he had one) owns it so that may explain some of it. I will admit they have good fried chicken.

Chris would eat a plate of salad then go get a plate of chicken and veggies and for dessert he'd get 3-4 fried chicken wings. He wonders why he weighs 300 pounds. smile

We have a Cracker Barrel and it's OK except for lousy service. I eat to live, not live to eat and am not a connie sewer of fine dining. Sonic drive ins are one of the better ones.
Posted By: DocFoster Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Once you get there inform them that Cracker Barrel is out and find the nearest Hooters. At least Dad will be happy.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I'm with Sammo, I'll eat anything that don't bite back and might even chew on it a bit if I'm hongry! grin

only eaten at a Cracker Barrel once, near the airport in KC MO, had to eat something before the long flight back to here.

twasn't great, but it tweren't bad neither.

hell when I'm hungry two regular hamburgers, small fries and unsweetened ice tea at McD's works for me. blush

but if I really want to eat well, I stay at home or better yet take momma to the cabin for a little Dutch oven artistry.

it's a good thing she works or I'd weigh 900 lbs.!
Posted By: grouseman Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Here's an easy tip to apply. Phone the city restaurant inspector and ask for any infractions for that restaurant. Something will undoubtedly show up, and you can tell the relatives about the unsanitary conditions there.

I'm sure you can find something more to your liking. Hell, if you're paying, YOU are the one who picks the restaurant.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Been to Cracker Barrel exactly once when they first hit Utah. Ordered breakfast with bacon, eggs, potatoes, and toast. Waitress came back twice...first to tell us they were out of potatoes, second to tell us they were out of wheat bread. Never went back.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

dont consider myself a snob but i just cant eat a McDonalds burger.....i cant taste anything but salt with them....love Arby's though......eat a hell of alot of double cheese burgers from the Cafe....to the point they recognize my voice when i call in the order crazy grin
Unless someone is in a big hurry or doesn't wanna drive around much, a guy only has to spend 2 minutes on Urbanspoon or a similar website to find some really good restaurants in any reasonable sized town.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/06/13
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Scott is borderline "unteachable".

He completely under appreciated the vienna sausage and crackers I fed him.

Once you acquire a taste for them, you are never at the mercy of another person's choice in eating places. Just order a glass of tea, whip out the ol' vyeenees and crackers and ask the waitress if it's OK to use one of their forks to dig out the first vyeenee.

The other members of your party are free to order from the menu and everybody's happy.

Should have gone with chicken livers and gizzards from the truck stop deli. smile
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Unless someone is in a big hurry or doesn't wanna drive around much, a guy only has to spend 2 minutes on Urbanspoon or a similar website to find some really good restaurants in any reasonable sized town.

TripAdvisor is your friend! LINK
I have the App on my Android smartphone and use it all the time. I look for Mom & Pop, hole-in-the-wall restaurants. I haven't been burned yet.

Ed
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Used the link to check Shreveport. 354 listings. Can't believe Griffs is even listed. On the other side, Strawns Eat shop Strawberry or Butterscotch pies are to kill for.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Used the link to check Shreveport. 354 listings. Can't believe Griffs is even listed. On the other side, Strawns Eat shop Strawberry or Butterscotch pies are to kill for.

So, are we meeting at Strawns for lunch? grin

Ed
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Texas Roadhouse.

Killer ribs.

Bristoe, Them ain't REAL TX ribs. It's a sin to eat those here in TX!

If you ever make it down to Texas, Salt Lick in Austin or Cooper's BBQ in Llano has ribs to die for!
I'll admit to eating at Waffle House, Subway, and Whataburger when traveling in Texas.

I like the first two because I can watch my food being fixed.

And Whataburgers in Texas [their birthstate] seem to have employees who are waaaaay beyond any of their competitors.

Some of the best Mexican food I've ever eaten comes from restaraunts that do not bill themselves as "Mexican".

"George's" in Post, and another "family style" one on the East edge of Floydada come to mind.

And...... I ain't talking Tex-Mex.

I have to admit I eat way too many Whataburger's. But like Curdog says, their Employes are Rocket Scientist's compared to the idiots that work at Micky D's. That ShiiTT is nasty!
If your in Lampasses, TX or Burnett, TX Storm's has really good burgers. Get A Triple Cheese Burger. Also Dan's & Fran's in Austin make killer grilled burgers!

For home style cooking & great homemade pies, everybody should try the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, TX. Definately the best Chicken Fried Steaks in TX.
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Definately the best Chicken Fried Steaks

[Linked Image]
Any time. smile

[Linked Image]

With lots of Gravy, of course.......

[Linked Image]

With lots of Gravy, of course.......

[Linked Image]
white gravy or brown gravy?
laugh

White gravyyyyyyyyyy grin

White gravyyyyyyyyyy grin

Yep! Brown gravy is just for putting on Roast & Mashed Potates.

White Gravy is for French Fries & Sourdough Biscuits. wink
Excuse my ignorance. I'm justa country boy. We put brown gravy on everything but... Oh god,... chicken fried steak. blush

Sorry Miss Lynn.
Excuse my ignorance. I'm justa country boy. We put brown gravy on everything but... Oh god,... chicken fried steak. blush

Must be a Texan thing! Brown gravy on Roast & Mashed Potatoes, and White Gravy on pretty much everything else.
Posted By: Waterguy Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
For home style cooking & great homemade pies, everybody should try the Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, TX. Definitely the best Chicken Fried Steaks in TX.

Been to the Bluebonnet caf� in Marble Falls many times. Chicken Fried Steak is a must have, as well as Chicken & Dumplings. Breakfast is always good there as are the pies.
Always have been disappointed in the mashed potatoes as they are dehydrated potatoes, but the waitress told me �Honey, they are the same potatoes we have always served�.

But it was an excellent meal despite the dehydrated potatoes.

But I must say�

The best Chicken Fried Steak in Texas can be had at the �342 Grill� in Red Oak, Texas. This restaurant used to be located in Waxahachie Texas, but during the last few years has been relocated to Red Oak. The food has not suffered because of the move.

Joel

Must be a Texan thing! Brown gravy on Roast & Mashed Potatoes, and White Gravy on pretty much everything else.

EXACTLY ! grin
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Sorry you feel every Pennsylvanian is an AzzHat. I came from the other end. None of us were Philly fans. Nor would anyone I am related to support Obama. Just like Seattle fux up what a good state Washington could be, Philly does the same for PA. Philly, Del, Jersey should become their own state anyhow. East New York
Posted By: pira114 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13

I thought Denny's WAS Denny's for white trash?
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Very few visitors to Texas get exposed to a real chicken fried steak "like Mama used to fix".

"Mama" never had a deep fryer nor a big old grill.

"Mama" cooked chicken in a big cast iron skillet, and that's how real chicken fried steak is fixed.

The gravy, seein' as how it is made from the drippings, ain't gonna be creamy white, neither.

And..... Storm's makes a real good burger. Second only to a Herdburger in Jacksboro.
Posted By: g5m Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Very few visitors to Texas get exposed to a real chicken fried steak "like Mama used to fix".

"Mama" never had a deep fryer nor a big old grill.

"Mama" cooked chicken in a big cast iron skillet, and that's how real chicken fried steak is fixed.

The gravy, seein' as how it is made from the drippings, ain't gonna be creamy white, neither.

This.
Posted By: tzone Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Originally Posted by Powerguy
Do we have the same relatives?

No doubt. If I told my dad pick somewhere to eat I'm buyin, you can bet your arse we're going to Old Country Buffet or the Black Bear Casino to the buffet. Good food is not based on the amount you can stuff on your plate. grin
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Scott I feel for you, just having to go to Philly is reason enough to bitch.
Posted By: deflave Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Originally Posted by pira114

I thought Denny's WAS Denny's for white trash?

I had to work in southern California for about a week last year. Denny's across from my hotel served beer. That's right [bleep], breakfast skillet and a pitcher of Budweiser. Every night.

I was lovin' it.

Travis
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
can't believe you ever left, WTF happened CSED find you?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Scott, a little free advice worth just what you will have to pay for it. You will be driving through beautiful country at the best time of year with a good woman beside you. Enjoy the trup to the fullest. Put up with the small minded liberal itiots with their small lives then enjoy Philly.

I was stationed there in late '68. A young sailor could walk out the mane base and find one of the many places that would serve a Philly stake out the front window of their homes. Better eats than any other sandwich I can remember. I hope you can still find great a stake sandwich somewhere.

Then shake the liberal dust off your feet and and enjoy the beauty and good times on the road trip back home to sanity. Enjoy it to the max and have a safe trip.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Philly cheese steak ...pat's... with .... povalone .....please!
Posted By: deflave Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
can't believe you ever left, WTF happened CSED find you?

They made me leave.

Travis
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
One wiz wit.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Gotta give mad points to my FIL. He called yesterday and told my wife we are going to the Bocce club for supper. They have a great seafood thing going on Friday's.

He told the rest of the family, 'We aren't to Cracker Barrel, they can eat there anytime'

VICTORY!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Was in Panama City Fl once - there was a Waffle House across the street from a Waffle House.

Russellville, Arkansas has or did have a Waffle House on each side of I-40, same exit. I think it was for the drunks that did not know where they were or where they were going. grin miles
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
One wiz wit.
smile
Posted By: Scott F Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Old man must of had two brain cells collide and head a real thought for a moment.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
It's only 700 to Burkeville.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Driving 1000 Miles - 10/07/13
Gotta give mad points to my FIL. He called yesterday and told my wife we are going to the Bocce club for supper. They have a great seafood thing going on Friday's.

He told the rest of the family, 'We aren't to Cracker Barrel, they can eat there anytime'

VICTORY!

Looks like he finally came up for air. The only, and I mean only redeeming quality about a big city is the food.
© 24hourcampfire