Home
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
Haven't sold through GB yet so excuse my ignorance...

If someone buys a gun from you, is there a list of Gunbroker "approved" FFLs that you can to ship to for each state? In other words, if the buyer tells me to ship the gun to Bob's Back Ally Gun Shack, is there a way to make sure the dealer is legit and keep myself outta jail.

Thanks,
Rob
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
Yes, if you look around on the site there is a place to look up FFL's by zip code.
Okay cool, thanks.
If it is a valid ffl who cares what the name is.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Okay cool, thanks.

You can also submit your own if the FFL approves.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
No problem. Any FFL is ok.

Have the send or email you a copy of the FFL.

Check the expiration date.

Got to FFL EZ Check, and type in the first three and last five digits.

FFL EZ Check

Confirm the ship to address and name on the FFL matches.

Only ship to the FFL. Not to the buyer.

The FFL will transfer it to the buyer.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
The list is not "GunBroker Approved" it is simply a list of FFL holders they have assembled from a lot of different sources. They may not be willing to do any deals and may not be happy their name is on the list. It is incumbent on the buyer to find a dealer to accept the firearm and it is incumbent on the seller to check the BATFE ez-check web site to verify the FFL is real. Also, the address listed on the web site is the only address you are allowed to mail the gun to.
If you ship it yourself, is there any declaration required to the Post Office as long as no ammunition is involved? Do you guys recommend the PO or a private carrier like FEDEX?
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

FFL EZ Check

BATFE, for the millionth time, tells FFLs in writing to NOT send an FFL copy to a non-FFL. There have been instances of fraud enabled by the physical copy. Most FFLs refuse to send hard copies to non-FFLs, as they are supposed to.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
It is incumbent on the buyer to find a dealer to accept the firearm and it is incumbent on the seller to check the BATFE ez-check web site to verify the FFL is real. Also, the address listed on the web site is the only address you are allowed to mail the gun to.

^This.^
If you ship it yourself, is there any declaration required to the Post Office as long as no ammunition is involved? Do you guys recommend the PO or a private carrier like FEDEX?

No declaration is required.

To Alaska UPS sucks bad, USPS works better and costs less. Other folks in other places have varied results.
Posted By: DryPowder Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
Where I live,shipments from Bud's ship FedEx.
Originally Posted by mudhen
It is incumbent on the buyer to find a dealer to accept the firearm and it is incumbent on the seller to check the BATFE ez-check web site to verify the FFL is real. Also, the address listed on the web site is the only address you are allowed to mail the gun to.

^This.^

Originally Posted by mudhen

^This.^

For clarity: when I said the address on the web site is the only legal address I was referring to the address of the FFL on the BATFE ez-check web site.
So it sounds like the bottom line is, ask the buyer what their preferred FFL is, contact the FFL and get their license #, look their license # up in the EZ Check web site, and only ship to the official address listed in the EZ Check web site.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
Rob,

Note that USPS only allows you to ship long guns. Handguns are FFL to FFL only with USPS. Don't tell the USPS employee you're shipping a gun. It's completely legal, but you don't want to deal with idiot employees and postmasters who don't know their own regs, especially in WA state. Just answer "No" to their 4 questions and if asked what you're shipping say "machined metal parts" which is technically true.

I always get insurance (duh) and ship in a hard case, boxed. I cut some 1/4" plywood to fit on both large flat sides of the box for extra protection. Worth the extra weight in shipping cost for peace of mind IMO.
Posted By: EdM Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/07/17
I recently sold a handgun via Gunbroker, my first sale there. I shipped a handgun from Texas to California using the guys linked below, a division of Bud's. The buyers FFL was not in their database. I provided the name of the FFL's business, a day later they emailed advising the buyers FFL was confirmed. They sent a shipping label via email. I printed it, taped it on the box and dropped it off at a FEDEX office at a mall near me. The handgun arrived at the California FFL next day. Coast was $35 plus insurance, that Bud's covers when the insured value is above FEDEX's $1,000 limit as mine was. All went smoothly and quickly.

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by EdM
I recently sold a handgun via Gunbroker, my first sale there. I shipped a handgun from Texas to California using the guys linked below, a division of Bud's. The buyers FFL was not in their database. I provided the name of the FFL's business, a day later they emailed advising the buyers FFL was confirmed. They sent a shipping label via email. I printed it, taped it on the box and dropped it off at a FEDEX office at a mall near me. The handgun arrived at the California FFL next day. Coast was $35 plus insurance, that Bud's covers when the insured value is above FEDEX's $1,000 limit as mine was. All went smoothly and quickly.

Pretty hard to confirm the serial number and little details like that without laying eyes, let alone hands, on the gun...
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
So it sounds like the bottom line is, ask the buyer what their preferred FFL is, contact the FFL and get their license #, look their license # up in the EZ Check web site, and only ship to the official address listed in the EZ Check web site.

That is a legal way of shipping it.
Posted By: rondrews Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
Sitka, you are right. I received a .380 from Bud's with a missing Serial #. It was delivered by FEDEX to my FFL Dealer here in town. Bud's say's to refuse the shipment. but if you think Fedex is going to stick around the FFL guys store while they open the box and check it out you are nuts. They give you the sign-for plate, and they are gone. Bud's say to do the same with a Gun that is defective. Refuse the shipment. How can you refuse it when there is no one around to return it to? I do a lot of business with Bud's. Great people to deal with and their prices are very good, but that refusal thing is a little nutsy
Posted By: rondrews Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
What Bud's did for me, though was to send me a FEDEX label to return the Gun to the Factory pre-paid. That worked for me, but the Factory, (Eagle Imports) has had the gun since June 2 and I'm still waiting to hear from them. I wonder how long it takes to put a serial # on a Gun?
Posted By: CATI1835 Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17

BATFE, for the millionth time, tells FFLs in writing to NOT send an FFL copy to a non-FFL. There have been instances of fraud enabled by the physical copy. Most FFLs refuse to send hard copies to non-FFLs, as they are supposed to.

Not trying to be argumentative, but do you have a specific example of this? A letter or link to the ATF site stating this? I have dealt with a number FFLs over the years and most of them will provide me a copy of their FFL to forward to the selling FFL if I ask politely. Occasionally they will ask for the transfer fee up front. My current FFL has provided me a copy of his which I scanned for use when I need it, with his permission. I asked him about this scenario a couple of years ago and he told me the ATF has never advised him not to do this.
Posted By: KMS Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17

FFL EZ Check

Not true!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
Just use the FFL you like or normally use.

You're making it too difficult. You sell your gun and tell the buyer to have his FFL email you a copy of his FFL. For your part, send a copy of your driver's license with the firearm. You can ship long guns USPS, but only an FFL is legally allowed to ship handguns that way. In short, it's the buyer's responsibility to provide his FFL. You don't have to call them.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Just use the FFL you like or normally use.

To ship? I'm confused about yall's advice.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by KMS

You're making it too difficult. You sell your gun and tell the buyer to have his FFL email you a copy of his FFL. For your part, send a copy of your driver's license with the firearm. You can ship long guns USPS, but only an FFL is legally allowed to ship handguns that way. In short, it's the buyer's responsibility to provide his FFL. You don't have to call them.

There is ZERO requirement for a non-licensed person to have a copy of the FFL license. The only requirement is that a firearm is mailed to an FFL. An individual can verify that via Ez-check. PERIOD.

Also, there is ZERO reason to send a copy of your driver's license.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
There is ZERO requirement for a non-licensed person to have a copy of the FFL license. The only requirement is that a firearm is mailed to an FFL. An individual can verify that via Ez-check. PERIOD.

That's true, but the FFL in his hand gives him piece of mind that he's not breaking any laws and is actually shipping to an FFL. You're correct about not being required to send a driver's license to the FFL. It's just a courtesy to the receiving FFL who will be logging it in. It becomes problematic when you receive a firearm from an individual that doesn't even include who it's supposed to be transferred to. I've received guns for customers plenty of times when the return address was the local mail pack store. I don't know who it's from or who it's for.
Posted By: natman Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17

This may be technically true, but in the real world shipping clerks often like to see an FFL when shipping a firearm and I'd rather just show them a copy than get into an argument over Federal law with them.

By the same token, receiving dealers often require a copy of ID from the seller because it gives them something to fill out the FROM part of the log book. Sure it's not foolproof, but again I'd rather just provide it than argue with them.

As far as how to ship goes, UPS has changed how it measures packages and now charges by dimensional weight. This means that a long package like a long gun is very expensive. I found this out when I tried to ship a 5 lb 22 rifle and they wanted $50 to ship it. Off it went via USPS.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
It cracks me up every time this same basic thread comes up again, seems like about every 2-3 months. No, there is no legal requirement for a non-FFL to ever receive a copy of an FFL. Just verifying the license number through the EZ-Check system is all a non-FFL needs to do to cover their azz. No, there is no legal requirement to provide a copy of your driver's license to an FFL, nor is it 100% guaranteed to eliminate scams by doing so. However, nearly all dealers require it simply because of the fact that it does show that they made a reasonable effort to verify who they received a firearm from. If I receive one with no id, and can't get in touch with them to have it emailed, then I send it right back where it came from. I have also found that, in most cases, someone unwilling to provide a copy of said id, to a LICENSED FFL, is up to no good.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
It cracks me up every time this same basic thread comes up again, seems like about every 2-3 months. No, there is no legal requirement for a non-FFL to ever receive a copy of an FFL. Just verifying the license number through the EZ-Check system is all a non-FFL needs to do to cover their azz. No, there is no legal requirement to provide a copy of your driver's license to an FFL, nor is it 100% guaranteed to eliminate scams by doing so. However, nearly all dealers require it simply because of the fact that it does show that they made a reasonable effort to verify who they received a firearm from. If I receive one with no id, and can't get in touch with them to have it emailed, then I send it right back where it came from. I have also found that, in most cases, someone unwilling to provide a copy of said id, to a LICENSED FFL, is up to no good.

Good ahead, add to the confusion...

Laughing!
Originally Posted by natman

This may be technically true, but in the real world shipping clerks often like to see an FFL when shipping a firearm and I'd rather just show them a copy than get into an argument over Federal law with them.

By the same token, receiving dealers often require a copy of ID from the seller because it gives them something to fill out the FROM part of the log book. Sure it's not foolproof, but again I'd rather just provide it than argue with them.

As far as how to ship goes, UPS has changed how it measures packages and now charges by dimensional weight. This means that a long package like a long gun is very expensive. I found this out when I tried to ship a 5 lb 22 rifle and they wanted $50 to ship it. Off it went via USPS.

Shipping clerks should not be asking for anything... USES forbids their employees from trying to interpret or enforce gun laws for obvious reasons.
Originally Posted by KMS

That's true, but the FFL in his hand gives him piece of mind that he's not breaking any laws and is actually shipping to an FFL. You're correct about not being required to send a driver's license to the FFL. It's just a courtesy to the receiving FFL who will be logging it in. It becomes problematic when you receive a firearm from an individual that doesn't even include who it's supposed to be transferred to. I've received guns for customers plenty of times when the return address was the local mail pack store. I don't know who it's from or who it's for.

FFL in hand means nothing, they get forged regularly. If someone is too stupid to understand the need to provide a name to attach to a gun they probably should be getting rid of ALL their guns.
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Rob,

Note that USPS only allows you to ship long guns. Handguns are FFL to FFL only with USPS. Don't tell the USPS employee you're shipping a gun. It's completely legal, but you don't want to deal with idiot employees and postmasters who don't know their own regs, especially in WA state. Just answer "No" to their 4 questions and if asked what you're shipping say "machined metal parts" which is technically true.

I always get insurance (duh) and ship in a hard case, boxed. I cut some 1/4" plywood to fit on both large flat sides of the box for extra protection. Worth the extra weight in shipping cost for peace of mind IMO.

Just for clarity, handguns may ship from a non-FFL, but only by common carrier such as UPS, FedEx, or whatever. They charge more and say you must ship overnight, which is far more expensive.
Originally Posted by rondrews
What Bud's did for me, though was to send me a FEDEX label to return the Gun to the Factory pre-paid. That worked for me, but the Factory, (Eagle Imports) has had the gun since June 2 and I'm still waiting to hear from them. I wonder how long it takes to put a serial # on a Gun?

They probably have some serious checking to do to figure out what the serial number should be.
Originally Posted by CATI1835

Not trying to be argumentative, but do you have a specific example of this? A letter or link to the ATF site stating this? I have dealt with a number FFLs over the years and most of them will provide me a copy of their FFL to forward to the selling FFL if I ask politely. Occasionally they will ask for the transfer fee up front. My current FFL has provided me a copy of his which I scanned for use when I need it, with his permission. I asked him about this scenario a couple of years ago and he told me the ATF has never advised him not to do this.

Not without doing some searching... I have posted it here a number of times. They send out irregular memos and such and it has been a topic a number of times. Ever since they started the ez-check system they have been saying it. I realize many FFLs create their own rules.
Originally Posted by KMS

FFL EZ Check

Not true!

Sorry, disabusing you of your fantasies is not on my to-do list today.
Originally Posted by KMS

You would be way ahead asking advice, not giving it.
Originally Posted by KMS

OK, calm down, Sport. You seem to be way to worked up over this.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17

FFL EZ Check

Give me a link or STFU.

In probably 300 sales transactions, I have NEVER had an FFL refuse to provide me with a copy, and I would NEVER ship a firearm to someone that I could not verify.
Posted By: EdM Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by EdM

Pretty hard to confirm the serial number and little details like that without laying eyes, let alone hands, on the gun...

So who has to confirm the serial number when I, a non-FFL, am shipping FEDEX overnight? I just followed their procedure shipping from an individual overnight via FEDEX. They allowed use of their volume shipping discount.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
As a FFL dealer (actually a manufacturer) I registered on gunbroker.com to ship and receive firearms. I don't ship many firearms because an unlicensed person may ship directly to a dealer. I accept firearms from unlicensed persons and appreciate a copy of their drivers license but don't require it. I do need their address for my log book. Copies of FFL goes into a file separate from the 4473.

In my area I have the best luck with USPS but we are a small town and the people at the PO know what I am shipping. Don't make any reference to firearms on the package or in the names of the shipper or receiver. The less information you reveal to the shipper the better
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

So who has to confirm the serial number when I, a non-FFL, am shipping FEDEX overnight? I just followed their procedure shipping from an individual overnight via FEDEX. They allowed use of their volume shipping discount.

The FFL has to confirm the serial number if he enters it in his book. It sort of defeats the whole purpose of the FFL oversight if someone ships something supposedly entered on his books that he never saw. And please understand, I do not think that such laws make sense in the grand scheme of things,

And no one has to confirm non-FFL to FFL except the receiving FFL.

FFL EZ Check

Give me a link or STFU.

In probably 300 sales transactions, I have NEVER had an FFL refuse to provide me with a copy, and I would NEVER ship a firearm to someone that I could not verify.

Pretty hard to link to written letters, but it has been posted here a number of times as these threads devolve.

Verification is supposed to be through the website for non-FFLs.
Originally Posted by KMS
Originally Posted by KMS

OK, calm down, Sport. You seem to be way to worked up over this.

Not even a little bit worked up...
Originally Posted by KMS
[OK, calm down, Sport. You seem to be way to worked up over this.

Not even a little bit worked up...

For someone that's not even a little bit worked up, you sure seem to take issue with a good many people.

All I can say is, "Thank GOD we have you here to enlighten us!" DAMN! What would we do without you?
Posted By: EdM Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/08/17
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

The FFL has to confirm the serial number if he enters it in his book. It sort of defeats the whole purpose of the FFL oversight if someone ships something supposedly entered on his books that he never saw. And please understand, I do not think that such laws make sense in the grand scheme of things,

And no one has to confirm non-FFL to FFL except the receiving FFL.

Precisely my point.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/09/17
Originally Posted by KMS

FFL EZ Check

Not true!

Originally Posted by KMS

FFL EZ Check

Not true!

Blow me
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/09/17

FFL EZ Check

Give me a link or STFU.

Give me a link that shows an FFL should send a copy of the license to a non-licensed person. Double dog dare ya.

Again, you can verify WITHOUT the FFL.
Originally Posted by natman

Not sure what 'technically true' means. Something is either true or it ain't. I've NEVER been asked and have never shown a copy of the FFL when shipping.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/09/17
Gunbroker FFL search http://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/searchforffl.aspx

FFL EZ Check

Give me a link or STFU.

Give me a link that shows an FFL should send a copy of the license to a non-licensed person. Double dog dare ya.

Again, you can verify WITHOUT the FFL.

I don't need the copy per se, but you you cannot verify without the numbers (first 3, last 5). Rather than ask the FFL for that info, I have always just asked for a copy or scan, and have never had an FFL refuse to supply it.

Either way, the copy alone is worthless, unless you verify it on FFL EZ Check.
Section 27 CFR 478.94 requires licensees to verify
the identity and licensed status prior to transferring
a firearm to a person who states they are licensed to
receive it. “Verification shall be established by the
transferee furnishing to the transferor a certified copy
of the transferee’s license and by such other means
as the transferor deems necessary...” This section
does not apply to transfers between a licensee and an
unlicensed person.

NONLICENSEE STATE-TO-STATE TRANSFER
ATF has received questions regarding how a
nonlicensee may handle the transfer of a firearm
to another nonlicensee residing in a different
State. Regulation 27 CFR 478.30 does not allow a
nonlicensee to transfer, sell, or deliver a firearm to
another nonlicensee who does not reside in the same
State.
However, per 27 CFR 478.147, a nonlicensee
may directly ship a firearm to a licensed importer,
licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer for any
lawful purpose. As such, the nonlicensee may arrange
to ship the firearm directly to a licensed dealer in the
State where the other nonlicensee lives. The receiving
licensee is required to enter the name and address of
the nonlicensee from whom the firearm was received.
A copy of the nonlicensee’s driver’s license may
be used to verify this information, but there is no
regulatory requirement that it be provided by the
nonlicensee. Afterwards, the nonlicensee who is to
receive the firearm would be required to complete
ATF Form 4473 and be subject to a background
check. Also, any corresponding State requirements
would apply, such as a waiting period.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/09/17

Not true!

Blow me
[/quote]
Welcome to my ignore list... damn few get there with JeffO, but you should fit right in. No need to prove you are inbred schit in a simple civil discussion.

[quote]

Blow me
[quote]
Welcome to my ignore list... damn few get there with JeffO, but you should fit right in. No need to prove you are inbred schit in a simple civil discussion.

Blow me.........
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Gunbroker FFL Question - 07/10/17
[quote=Sitka deer]

Blow me
[quote]

Blow me.........

And miss out on a quarter of the Campfire?
© 24hourcampfire