Home
Posted By: Burleyboy Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
I got really sick on Sunday and had a fever up to 102.1and a massive headache. Vomited hard enough I think i broke ribs. Luckily I never developed a cough. I was seriously considering going to the hospital but I had to weigh the odds of picking up something worse if I went to the hospital. Stayed home and the fever broke yesterday and things are getting better. It never went respiratory or I would have went in.

Really made me worry in a way I never had before while sick. Sunday night I was wishing I had recorded my history for my kids but was too sick to do it. My wife told me I was probably ok and no need to go to the Dr. but she made sure sure I gave her the passwords to all accounts, location of CDs, and where the safe deposit boxes are. She even asked who to trust to sell my guns and stuff. I'm feeling much better today but it was probably one of the scariest things I've faced.

The thing that worried me the most was who would look after my 3 kids and how they would remember me. I don't think it was covid but any fever right now is enough to make you worry. I got a voice recorder out and plan to start recording story. I hate the sound of my own voice but it something were to happen to me it might be something my kids would like to hear one day.

Bb
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Damn! You take care of yourself. Glad you are feeling better!
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Glad you're ok
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
I need to Lysol my iPad now.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Glad you're ok

This. Approximate age, health?

Here they say call the hospital ER by phone if you start having shortness of breath.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Those are the same fears I have. My youngest is 18 now and in the military but I still feel like there are some things I need to pass on to he and his sister before my time is up. Any sickness for a middle aged man right now would scare the hell out of you. Makes you think.

Get better.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
The cough is just one symptom and not the whole picture. To be safe I'd get a Covid 19 test. Insist on it. If they find a positive insist on a communicable disease dr and the hydroxychoroquine along with the zpac. They are finding the quicker these are administered the shorter the duration of the disease. Don't mess around. I believe your at least my age and along with age come other medical issues. Get this done ASAP.
Take care of yourself. You are the only one who will. Listen to your body.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Hang in there!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Take care.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
I had that same stuff last week. 3 days and gone. Wonder if we'll get an extra stimulus check?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
I'm 47 and obese and have ankylosing spondylitis so I've been on a double dose of humira and take prednisone frequently. I'm definitely in a higher risk group but my wife is a PA and she was pretty convinced I should not go in. I decided that if i got 103 or started coughing i was going in.

Its important to think about what your action plan is before you're sick because I realize now I couldn't think straight in the midst of it. The last few days are a hazy blur. Trying to decided when to get help is hard when you can't think straight and are worried about getting it at the ER if you don't already have it.

It's still almost impossible to get a test around here so going in may have just put me at more risk. The weird thing is that even though I didn't have a cough my O2 sats were running 80-84.

Bb
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
glad you are better.
Posted By: ERK Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Had the same thing a month ago. Just before the covid thing got public. Enfluenza was going around here at the time.i went and got checked for that and was negative. They said I just had a cold. The bad thing is that runny nose occasionally coughing and headache still around. Ed k
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
The cough is just one symptom and not the whole picture. To be safe I'd get a Covid 19 test. Insist on it. If they find a positive insist on a communicable disease dr and the hydroxychoroquine along with the zpac. They are finding the quicker these are administered the shorter the duration of the disease. Don't mess around. I believe your at least my age and along with age come other medical issues. Get this done ASAP.

Inclined to agree
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Glad you feel better!
Posted By: gunzo Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Hot blooded, check it & see, got a fever of a 103, common baby do you do more than dance? Hot Blooded, Hot Bloodeddd.

Couldn't help it, please explain ankylosing spondylitis.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'm 47 and obese and have ankylosing spondylitis so I've been on a double dose of humira and take prednisone frequently. I'm definitely in a higher risk group but my wife is a PA and she was pretty convinced I should not go in. I decided that if i got 103 or started coughing i was going in.

Its important to think about what your action plan is before you're sick because I realize now I couldn't think straight in the midst of it. The last few days are a hazy blur. Trying to decided when to get help is hard when you can't think straight and are worried about getting it at the ER if you don't already have it.

It's still almost impossible to get a test around here so going in may have just put me at more risk. The weird thing is that even though I didn't have a cough my O2 sats were running 80-84.

Bb

Did you read the piece previously posted here about how C-19 destroys hemoglobin?

That'll put your O2 in the toilet quick.

Bb

Sorry to hear about the Ankylosing Spondylitis. I guess you know and your eye dr knows about your condition so they get you in quickly if you ever get an eye aching and hazy vision in an eye before the insides flare up severely?
Posted By: hanco Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20

Do that!
Posted By: 79S Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
I’m no detective but I think your ol lady trying to kill you.. Tell her you are going out for some smokes and coke and head to the Dr office ASAP..
I expect your wife knows who to contact for additional recs as what to do for ratification of her ideas if she feels the need, right?
Posted By: 79S Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
If you are a Mormon tell her you are running to broulims for green jello and taters
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m no detective but I think your ol lady trying to kill you.. Tell her you are going out for some smokes and coke and head to your lawyers office ASAP..

Fixed
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
I got really sick on Sunday and had a fever up to 102.1and a massive headache. Vomited hard enough I think i broke ribs. Luckily I never developed a cough. I was seriously considering going to the hospital but I had to weigh the odds of picking up something worse if I went to the hospital. Stayed home and the fever broke yesterday and things are getting better. It never went respiratory or I would have went in.

Really made me worry in a way I never had before while sick. Sunday night I was wishing I had recorded my history for my kids but was too sick to do it. My wife tried to act like it was ok and no need to go to the Dr. but she was making sure sure I gave her the passwords to all accounts, location of CDs, and where the safe deposit boxes are. She even asked who to trust to sell my guns and stuff. I'm feeling much better today but it was probably one of the scariest things I've faced.

The thing that worried me the most was who would look after my 3 kids and how they would remember me. I don't think it was covid but any fever right now is enough to make you worry. I got a voice recorder out and plan to start recording story. I hate the sound of my own voice but it something were to happen to me it might be something my kids would like to hear one day.

Bb
I don't have any experience with COVID-19, but I have had Pneumonia. It can sneak up on you after you think you're well. You'll feel like you're totally over with your illness for about a day and then it hits you worse than ever. I have no reason to think COVID's Pneumonia is any different, from the things I've read about it. I hope you are on the mend as you think, but watch yourself for a few days.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Friggin Arby's.....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Friggin Arby's.....

I see you been there. An hour of joy for 2 days of pain. Like being married to an ex all over again.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Fever of 102 - 04/07/20
Actually I live all my Arby's experiences through Slumlord.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Actually I live all my Arby's experiences through Slumlord.

Hahaha. Tff. I bet Rene has their menu memorized
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20

She even asked who to trust to sell my guns and stuff.

Now that sounds serious - glad you're better now and it wasn't Cee-nineteen
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Friggin Arby's.....

I see you been there. An hour of joy for 2 days of pain. Like being married to an ex all over again.

Don’t get those rolls with the little burnt onions on them like that which comes with the beef n cheddar

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 79S Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Friggin Arby's.....

Curly fries are awesome
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Lots of drive thru testing sights all over. You should see if you can find one and get checked.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by gunzo
Hot blooded, check it & see, got a fever of a 103, common baby do you do more than dance? Hot Blooded, Hot Bloodeddd.

Now he's as cold as ice, willing to sacrifice
Posted By: sidepass Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
At 66 years young and an asthma sufferer who has had a triple bypass Jan of 2017 this allergy season has me on pins and needles. Nothing worse than not being able to breath . Am taking lots of zinc. Be well be safe.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20

Bb

thats LOW o2 sats... a big symptom to me. But the PA should know.

That said, I sure hope you got her all the info on accounts and so on. She should have had that long ago. We have it for each other and a pack at the safe in the SIL house too. Open on our death pack.
Posted By: broomd Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
I got really sick on Sunday ...

Bb

Always appreciate your candor, BB.

Take care of yourself!
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Low O2 sat and fever should easily make you a candidate for testing. You could still be shedding virus and be contagious. Please call the screening number in your area.

If you're wife's a PA, she could be asymptomatic and infecting her patients. At the very least, get screened.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Glad you’re better, keep an eye on it.
Originally Posted by sidepass
At 66 years young and an asthma sufferer who has had a triple bypass Jan of 2017 this allergy season has me on pins and needles. Nothing worse than not being able to breath . Am taking lots of zinc. Be well be safe.

I also take Turmeric with Black Pepper, K2, Vit A Palmitate, Salmon oil, Selenium, 6000-8000 vit C to build immunity. Black elderberry and Oregano.

I would not take Vit A with beta carotene re possible increased lung Ca risks, unless for a short time while dealing with C-19.

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
If I'm still running a fever and have a headache in the morning I'll go get some labs drawn. I'm 99.9 with O2 sat of 84 right now.

Bb
Posted By: LazyV Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Bud all joking aside if your pulse ox is 84 that’s not good. Seek help.

* unless this is close to normal for you due to COPD or something
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
thats a SUCKY O2 sat. You have that whatever with the iron going on thats not allowing O2 to bind.... I'd almost bet on it...88 at rest is low enough to get O2 in an RX from medicare.... IIRC. and its a logarithmic? scale, like the decibel one... the lower you go its really getting low..
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Eighty Schitting Four???????

Are your fingers dirty or beat to hell?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Carbon Monoxide?
I had a bronchitis last spring that dropped my O2 like this and I was on oxygen for 2 months. They think it was a reaction to Enbril so they switched me to humira. More recently my sats have ran 93 or so until Sunday. They have been between 80 and 86 since then. Fever mostly broke yesterday but my sats are still down. I checked the sat monitor aftet cleaning it on the wife and kids and they are 95-98 me 84.

My wife keeps asking if I took my thyroid medication and saying I'm not really with it. I'll probably gets some labs done in the morning. I normally wouldn't hesitate getting them drawn but I don't want to be near a hospital right now.

Bb
Posted By: sse Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
def get the test, even if you may improve you need to know, because you could infect others..good luck!
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20

Obviously, I don’t know more about you than you’ve mentioned, and obviously I don’t know your wife’s capabilities, but if I had to choose and vote “aye” or “nay”, I’d say you certainly might have/ had COVID. No offense at all meant to your wife.

People’s symptoms run on a continuum from none to in the ICU on a ventilator with a death-dealing pneumonia. Of course, it could have been a bad flu also.

I’d check with your primary care provider — if it’s your wife, I’d ask the physician she’s associated with. You might be tested for further info. With your co-morbid’s, take every care.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Be well my friend.
Posted By: bkraft Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Anybody else sick in the house?
Posted By: lundtroller Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Burley,

Covid or no covid, you have lots of reasons to be getting to the hospital for some basic labs, etc. being that febrile, hypoxemic, and immunosuppressed with steroids, etc. I think you and your wife (PA) both know that! I hope those O2 sats are at least lying on your back and not upright! Be proactive and don't get behind the "8 ball" with your health!!!
Those sats of 84 are standing. I think I've had enough health problems over the last few years we've become a bit complacent about it. I texted my Dr about it and he's going to see how I feel in the morning and then maybe order some tests. I'm just trying to weigh the risk if being exposed going to get tested verses the risk of not testing at all.

Everyone else in the house is fine and we've been isolating for a few weeks. I had a weird long bronchitis last year that had my sats way down for a few months. I had to have oxygen on 24/7 but I never got a pneumonia and then slowly got better. They thought it was a reaction to Enbrel. I would have went in to see the Dr yesterday I just questioned if it's worth the risk. I think my wifes point about not going to the ER was that they wouldn't do anything for me there other than run some tests and send me home. I guess it's still really hard to even get a covid test in Idaho. Its almost like you have more chance of getting covid virus than a covid test in our er's.

Recently found I have severe sleep apnea but I'm on a waiting list to see the Dr. before they'll give me the bipap machine.

Bb
Posted By: Quak Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Stay safe...be well. Prayers inbound
Posted By: doubletap Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
How is your sense of smell?
Posted By: tnscouter Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Burleyboy: I totally understand your concern with going to an ER or a Doctor's office and possibly catching something.

Since your wife is a PA figure out what tests you need, get the appropriate containers, and have your wife draw your blood at home. She can take it in and have it tested.

Good luck and remember you always have to be in control of your care. -tnscouter
Smell and taste still intact. One of the things that makes me think its something else. Last time I traveled was Orlando a month ago. I've been pretty much isolating at home for almost 3 weeks. Last time I went into a store at all was Mar. 20th and only went out once that week.

I'll talk to the Dr in the morning, I just don't want to go in if I don't need to.

Bb
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis in which there is a long-term inflammation of the joints of the spine.[2] Typically the joints where the spine joins the pelvis are also affected.[2] Occasionally other joints such as the shoulders or hips are involved.[2] Eye and bowel problems may also occur.[2] Back pain is a characteristic symptom of AS, and it often comes and goes.[2] Stiffness of the affected joints generally worsens over time.[2][4]
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Did you take something that would artificially reduce your fever?
Originally Posted by tnscouter
Burleyboy: I totally understand your concern with going to an ER or a Doctor's office and possibly catching something.

Since your wife is a PA figure out what tests you need, get the appropriate containers, and have your wife draw your blood at home. She can take it in and have it tested.

Good luck and remember you always have to be in control of your care. -tnscouter

Good idea, if they'll give me the tubes and a butterfly needle I can draw the blood myself. I think I'll ask the Dr to at least order me a CBC and a Chem panel to make sure the basics are inline. I'm new at this immunosuppressant thing and have only been on them a year. The Drs tell you to take everything more seriously when your on them. Then you get a fever and your sats drop and they just say give it a few more days and see how you do. I can't remember how low of O2 sat is too low but it seems like below 90 is time for concern. I haven't been above 86 for 3 days.

Bb
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Did you take something that would artificially reduce your fever?

Tylenol, I've been avoiding ibuprofen due to the rumors it makes covid worse.

Bb
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
BB,
Check your PMs.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Smell and taste still intact. One of the things that makes me think its something else. Last time I traveled was Orlando a month ago. I've been pretty much isolating at home for almost 3 weeks. Last time I went into a store at all was Mar. 20th and only went out once that week.

I'll talk to the Dr in the morning, I just don't want to go in if I don't need to.

Bb

Sources I have read state loss of smell/taste happen in 30% of C-19 cases.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
At 84% I would place you on a non rebreather, or high flow 02 and have you lay prone. With covid seems to be improving oxygen levels and can prevent intubation. If you don’t improve and ABG showed any major irregularities I would intubate you. Earlier the better with covid. Not saying you have it but you have something major going on. Unless your embellishing your symptoms, I would admit you to ICU with these symptoms if I saw you.

Your symptoms are not minor if you have hypoxia, fever, and feeling disoriented. Betting heart rate is elevated as well. Decreased Urine output?

Your wife is a PA( I am a NP). These are severe signs of sepsis and she should be aware of that. Left untreated sepsis has a very high mortality rate. Not trying to insult her at all, but you need to be getting checked immediately. Not in the morning. Having sleep apnea potentially puts you at even higher risk of death with this. Your 02 sats could drop critically low while you sleep leading to sudden cardiac death or ARDS

If you wanna be around for your kids, and that’s such a big worry for you( which it should be) I would go NOW to be checked out.
Originally Posted by kevinJ
At 84% I would place you on a non rebreather, or high flow 02 and have you lay prone. With covid seems to be improving oxygen levels and can prevent intubation. If you don’t improve and ABG showed any major irregularities I would intubate you. Earlier the better with covid. Not saying you have it but you have something major going on. Unless your embellishing your symptoms, I would admit you to ICU with these symptoms if I saw you.

Your symptoms are not minor if you have hypoxia, fever, and feeling disoriented. Betting heart rate is elevated as well. Decreased Urine output?

Your wife is a PA( I am a NP). These are severe signs of sepsis and she should be aware of that. Left untreated sepsis has a very high mortality rate. Not trying to insult her at all, but you need to be getting checked immediately. Not in the morning. Having sleep apnea potentially puts you at even higher risk of death with this. Your 02 sats could drop critically low while you sleep leading to sudden cardiac death or ARDS

If you wanna be around for your kids, and that’s such a big worry for you( which it should be) I would go NOW to be checked out.

My heart rate has been elevated up to around 115, I did tell my wife earlier today that I haven't been peeing much the last few days and have gained 6 pounds since Saturday. She had me take fourosimide 40 and a potassium pill. I had some that my Dr gave me last year when I had an acute weight gain/ water retention thing. Since I took the fourosimide I've been peeing every 30 minutes. I really haven't seen my o2 sat above 86 the last few days. I did text all this to the Dr and he said he'll order some labs if I still feel bad in the morning. I'm still pretty worried about it or I wouldn't have brought it up here. If this covid thing wasn't going around I would have went right in. My wife actually took my o2 sat herself when I told her how low it was and she got 80% at that time. She told me I need to breathe deeper and that brought it up a few points. I went through that spell of low sats last year so I don't think we're taking it as seriously as we normally might. I just know i don't feel well so I'll just have to risk exposure and go get help.

Bb
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Also, any significant fever while on most biologics is a red flag to go get checked out. Significant fever while being immunosuppressed is a clear sign of a strong immune reaction. Prior to Covid, it could be infection, influenza, or your body producing antibodies to the Humira, among other things.

Might be Covid, or might not, but on biologics with steroids on board, having hypoxia, fever, and confusion would definitely cause me to seek help to figure out what’s going on and get ahead of it.

Hang in there and we all wish you well.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Burleyboy,

best wishes.

Any way you can text/video conference with an ER doc there. kevinJ makes some sense in his post.

I certainly understand your reluctance to go in, having the same feelings most times. But, these aren't most times. And even considering you may not be Corona positive, your symptoms sound way serious.

Again,

Good luck.

Geno
Posted By: lundtroller Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Burley,

Lots of 'fire members on the same page here on this one based on what you are telling us. Don't see that too often either anymore on much of anything!!! Hint, hint, hint!!!

They are treating everyone pretty cautiously now coming in to the ER's, etc. They will certainly be careful with you and your recent history. As others have said, delaying a basic but thorough work-up on you right now is very risky.

Most importantly, get better soon!!!

Todd J.
Now I'm just deciding whether to go in tonight or wait until morning. Some PMs from others have made it clear I need to get a bipap that I thought was ordered but turned out I needed another Dr appointment, which i can't seem to get scheduled, before they'll give me the machine.

I've been on the list to be the first telehealth pt at the only local pulmonologist for a month but they don't even return calls. Its obvious I can't wait any longer even if it means potential exposure to covid.

Bb
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20

Dude,

I'm known as the biggest Covid denier on the internet, if you count @ssholes and curse words.

I'm sayin this with all the love in my heart.

Go to the fckin hospital.
Posted By: tnscouter Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
Burleyboy: Again I understand your reluctance to go to the ER but after reading the details of your situation you're in a tough spot.

Go to the ER and risk catching something or stay at home and risk making your situation much much worse.

Listen to your wife who knows your situation intimately and don't worry quite so much, or listen to well intentioned strangers on the internet.

I don't envy you. I suggest you do what makes you feel most comfortable regardless of anyone's feelings. If you do go wear a mask and gloves.

As far as dawing your blood at home that should be no problem if your wife is comfortable doing that. It happens more than you would think within medical families. The lab will tell her what, how many, and how much they need and give her the appropriate vials and tubes.

But just remember that most ER facilities are practically empty right now unless you are in a major hotspot and with what is happening have probably never been cleaner.

Good luck and be smart. -tnscouter
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Fever of 102 - 04/08/20
BB, I lost a friend from back in the day this past weekend. He was a mountain of a man. Both in size and personality. He was only 57. 3rd COVID case in the county. It's nothing to mess with. The ER staff is trained to keep you from being infected. Now is generally a slow time there. You'll get much quicker treatment there than waiting for your PCP.

Good luck and God Bless.

cf
O2 sats are up to 87 and temp is down to 99.7. I'll talk to my Dr again in the morning unless things start getting worse.... I don't think I could have caught covid and I'm just trying to not be in a place to catch it. Numbers are headed the right way for now.

Bb
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Fever of 102 - 04/09/20
Hoping you got checked and are doing well. Praying for you.

Like I said last night. Anyone with fever, heart rate above 100, breathing rapidly/feeling short of breath, or oxygen says less than say 90/91 needs to be getting seen quickly.

Not just right now because of covid 19, but because these are all signs of sepsis. Which has a high mortality rate. Don’t take it lightly or wait around.

Your outcome with sepsis is very dependent statistically on how quickly you receive IV fluids and antibiotics. Sooner the better
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Fever of 102 - 04/09/20
Hoping you got checked and are doing well. Praying for you.

Like I said last night. Anyone with fever, heart rate above 100, breathing rapidly/feeling short of breath, or oxygen says less than say 90/91 needs to be getting seen quickly.

Not just right now because of covid 19, but because these are all signs of sepsis. Which has a high mortality rate. Don’t take it lightly or wait around.

Your outcome with sepsis is very dependent statistically on how quickly you receive IV fluids and antibiotics. Sooner the better

Ditto

Geno
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Fever of 102 - 04/09/20
Just checking in. Hope you're doing alright.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
You still alive BB?
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Those signs all say it's time to go to the ER.

Hope you're all right.

-Jake
Posted By: JeffA Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Current sign isn't exactly the best.

"Last Seen Yesterday at 07:40 PM"

Like WTH is he?
Posted By: duck911 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Also hoping for a positive update.

Please?
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
I saw his porch light come on at around 12:00 A.M. this morning, when I peaked in on this thread, but he didn't comment obviously.

That SAT O2 in the low 80's was dangerously low. When it is that low, you can crash at any second. I can't believe his doc didn't tell him to get his azz to the ER STAT.
Posted By: johnw Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20

The trouble with this is that the medical profession likes to make their own decisions. Where I live there is no private testing for C19 as there are too few tests available. You get tested if the local response authority deems it necessary.

Kinda the same thing with hydroxychloroquine and Zpac. They are widely available, but not necessarily good for you. I was told 4 years ago, by my cardiologist, that I'd never receive zpac again due to a chronic electrolyte imbalance.
And just a couple of days ago I read here about drinking tonic water as a preventative for C19. Left my cardiologist a message that i was gonna begin this and he had his staff get back to me within the hour. No dice. Quinine in any form can have severe consequences for cardiac rhythm issues.

Would docs make the decision to use those drugs on me if I was going downhill from C19? Maybe they would, but they'd be doing it knowing that I might pay a high price for it.

There are few magic wands in medicine.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
BB, I lost a friend from back in the day this past weekend. He was a mountain of a man. Both in size and personality. He was only 57. 3rd COVID case in the county. It's nothing to mess with. The ER staff is trained to keep you from being infected. Now is generally a slow time there. You'll get much quicker treatment there than waiting for your PCP.

Good luck and God Bless.

cf

This, you're playing with fire. You need to be checked out.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Guys, thanks for the concern I'm ok. I've spent the last few days in medical beuorocracy hell. I woke up that next morning after a little sleep and my Sats were up between 87-89. Running pretty solid 89% now. Called the ER that night and they said that if I came in they likely wouldn't test me because I hadn't had a known exposure or traveled within two weeks.

I texted my Dr about getting some labs drawn but I don't think they wanted me coming in their office. They told me I needed to call the pulmonologist I was trying to get into to see what he wanted to do. I couldn't get through on the phone no matter what I did. They said leave a message and they would try to get back after 5 days if it sounded important.

I called my ENT because I was having some shortness of breath and a slight choking feeling. They talked to me and said I really needed to get on the bipap for my apnea and told me my sleep study was the worst they had seen. I told them I couldn't get any help from the pulmonologist and even though I spent 2 nights at their clinic they said they won't write the bipap order until I see the Dr but wouldn't help me get an appointment.

The ENT called them and got the titration numbers from them and then called in the order to a medical supply place for me. Now I can't get the medical supply place to call me back or pick up the phone. Meanwhile my Sats are running a decent 89 and temp is good. Headache is almost gone I just still have a heavy feeling on my chest and a little shortness of breath.

My wife was right that no one would likely do anything for me and I probably couldn't get a Covid test. She is on conference calls with the dept of health and hospital she works for at least a few times a week and says they are very strict about giving tests. They won't do it even if they're shure you had it if it looks like your improving which I was. Most places sounded like they didn't want to see me for my general health concerns either because I was coming off of a fever. Couldn't get the test and couldn't get help with other things because I hadn't had the test.

It was very frustrating and I still don't have my bipap. Feeling much better tonight but concerned about this heavy feeling like someone's sitting on my chest. I've lost about 10 pounds this week. Haven't eaten much and a few days of vomiting to kick it off. I'm going to keep trying like crazy to lose weight and get this bipap and get it going. My Bp cuff sprung a leak, probably the new pup bit it, so I'm ordering a new one. I started on baby aspirin today too.

Once they get an antibodies test I'm going to try to get that test to see if by chance I had Covid. I still feel like it may have been something else. Felt kind of like food poisoning at first. My temp maxed out at 102.1 and I've had some similar bouts with low Sats last year. Although the extreme headache I had with this at first was new for me. I don't usually get headaches, especially that severe.

I've felt kind of wiped out the last few days and haven't been on the fire much. I spend what energy I had trying to get ahold of Dr's. I was pretty worried that last night I was posting and did call the ER but the nurse told me I'd probably feel like I wasted my money if I came in. Said the Dr there that night probably wouldn't order the test and just tell me to get see my pulmonologist. It was frustrating as hell. Should have just went to the ER the first day when my temp was up and Sats where way down. If your improving no one will bother seeing you then but I'm glad I am improving.

When this all passes I'm going in for a cardiac work up.

Bb
Posted By: antlers Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
👊🏻 I’m glad you’re still on this side of the ground. Hope you continue to improve.
Posted By: bludog Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Praying for you Bb. Glad you are doing better.

God bless,
bludog
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
BB,

Glad you’re feeling better. However, your symptoms are very troubling. Would recommend you contact your county public health department to see if they’ll help you get tested for COVID-19 now. Otherwise, pick one of the large medical centers closest to you (Boise?) and show up in their ED, with appropriate PPE (at least face mask, gloves and hand sanitizer). Once you’re there, the hospital is obligated to diagnose you and treat you - Federal law.

COVID-19 can cause rapid decompensation in a matter of hours, and advanced presentations are much harder to manage than early stages,

Not meaning to disagree with your wife’s assessment or to alarm you. Merely concerned with a 24HCF brother.
Posted By: lundtroller Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Burley,

Glad to hear from you and that you are doing a little better. I am very sorry you have gotten the run-a-round with the system, ESPECIALLY considering your current situation. The pulmonary issues are likely multifactorial but still, you've had the sleep study... getting you on a bi-pap should be a no brainer and definitely indicated. However, your exacerbation of other symptoms including the fevers, worsened hypoxemia, dehydration, etc. combined with the fact you are on prednisone and your other biological were/are a whole other issue. How a provider would not have you go right in for a CBC, electrolyes, urinalysis, chest x-ray, blood gas, and at least blood cultures just blows my mine, Covid risks or not!!! That is not too aggressive in your case... I'll tell you a story from my internship someday if you want to hear it.

Were you soliciting care in Rexburg? Just curious. Might want to consider IF HCA if they keep dodging you on some of this care. I'm embarrassed for the care that you have not received up to this time based on your description.

Good to hear your voice (in print) and once again, wish you all the best!!!

Todd J.
Posted By: 79S Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
All I know that hospital in Idaho falls is trash, i have no idea how they stay open. Next time drive to Salt Lake City..
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Burley,

don't quit fighting now. You not only deserve to be seen and treated, as lundtroller pointed out, it seems if you show up the are required to see you.

I wonder if a letter in your pocket from an attorney might speed things up.

Take care, but don't give up.

Even in a primarily private health care system the bureaucracy rules I guess. Don't know the answer, but the system in place doesn't work very well for regular folks.

Good luck with it all,

Geno
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
I started on baby aspirin today too.

NO ASPIRIN.

GET OFF THE ASPIRIN NOW.

Only take Tylenol.

NSAIDs feed the virus, and make it worse for you.

No NSAIDs.

See below for list of NSAIDs:

• aspirin
• celecoxib (Celebrex)
• diclofenac (Cambia, Cataflam, Voltaren-XR, Zipsor, Zorvolex)
• diflunisal (Dolobid - discontinued brand)
• etodolac (Lodine - discontinued brand)
• ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
• indomethacin (Indocin)
• ketoprofen (Active-Ketoprofen [Orudis - discontinued brand])
• ketorolac (Toradol - discontinued brand)
• nabumetone (Relafen - discontinued brand)
• naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
• oxaprozin (Daypro)
• piroxicam (Feldene)
• salsalate (Disalsate [Amigesic - discontinued brand])
• sulindac (Clinoril - discontinued brand)
• tolmetin (Tolectin - discontinued brand)
Posted By: k20350 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
I started on baby aspirin today too.

NO ASPIRIN.

GET OFF THE ASPIRIN NOW.

Only take Tylenol.

NSAIDs feed the virus, and make it worse for you.

No NSAIDs.

See below for list of NSAIDs:

• aspirin
• celecoxib (Celebrex)
• diclofenac (Cambia, Cataflam, Voltaren-XR, Zipsor, Zorvolex)
• diflunisal (Dolobid - discontinued brand)
• etodolac (Lodine - discontinued brand)
• ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
• indomethacin (Indocin)
• ketoprofen (Active-Ketoprofen [Orudis - discontinued brand])
• ketorolac (Toradol - discontinued brand)
• nabumetone (Relafen - discontinued brand)
• naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
• oxaprozin (Daypro)
• piroxicam (Feldene)
• salsalate (Disalsate [Amigesic - discontinued brand])
• sulindac (Clinoril - discontinued brand)
• tolmetin (Tolectin - discontinued brand)

Damn not only are u a stock broker your a Doctor too? Overachiever
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
BB,

FYI, the law i cited is EMTALA. It requires you be diagnosed, stabilized and treated, once you present in any ED. I don’t think you’ll need to use that threat, as the enforcement is significant and fines for violations severe. Nevertheless, keep it in mind.

Still recommend you seek care
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
He wants the baby aspirin to mitigate heart attack or CVA, I don't think 64 mg is going to feed the virus too much.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
I had a bronchitis last spring that dropped my O2 like this and I was on oxygen for 2 months. They think it was a reaction to Enbril so they switched me to humira. More recently my sats have ran 93 or so until Sunday. They have been between 80 and 86 since then. Fever mostly broke yesterday but my sats are still down. I checked the sat monitor aftet cleaning it on the wife and kids and they are 95-98 me 84.

My wife keeps asking if I took my thyroid medication and saying I'm not really with it. I'll probably gets some labs done in the morning. I normally wouldn't hesitate getting them drawn but I don't want to be near a hospital right now.

Bb

The wife cannot draw them for you? at home?
Posted By: gunzo Re: Fever of 102 - 04/10/20
Hang in there BB, do what you need to do & when/if medical facilities get back to normal, get straightened out. What ever it takes.

Take care sir.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Fever of 102 - 04/14/20
Well?
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Fever of 102 - 04/14/20
I got a pm from him about 4 hours ago that said "I'm doing much better. No fever and my sats are close to my normal. I still don't think I even had covid. I'm not sure what it was. It was very difficult to get any help from healthcare which was very frustrating. Thanks for checking on me."

Still worried about him. Not all symptoms are really bad, but I'm still worried about him. I'm also irritated he doesn't seem to be able to get healthcare there. That is pathetic.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Fever of 102 - 04/15/20
I am doing pretty well today. No temp and sats are around 90% which has been kind of a new normal range for me the last year. The pulmonologist refused to see me by telehealth and said I need to come in so I said ok make me an appointment. They then said they would get back to me because they're really busy. I got my ENT Dr to order my bipap but the medical supply place wouldn't answer calls and doesn't call back.

On Monday I called the ENT back and asked them to send the order to a different medical supply place but they still don't have the order. I don't think whatever I have/had will kill me, I think the stress of dealing with the medical world right now will.

I know I really want to do what I can to become more healthy. I've had several challenges the last few years that have made me realize your health is one of the most important things you have. I worked a lot of long hours at a desk job to get ahead financially but I don't think it was worth the toll it took on my health. My stress hormones have been running high for years do to chronic pain and inflammation from my autoimmune disease.

Taking steroids all the time has made it even harder to lose weight. I'm convinced that I need to do everything I can to lose weight and start exercising again. I'm trying to make a plan for long term and I'm starting with trying to get my sleep figured out and apnea under control along with weight loss. I need to get my insulin levels down too. I'm not diabetic and my A1c is always around 5 but my insulin levels are through the roof to keep it there.

I want my life back, I've got to get my pain. Inflammation, weight, and sleep under control. The next virus that the Chinese develop could be worse. This has taught me that there's more to preparation than food storage and savings.

I really just wish I could walk well enough again to go on a nice long rabbit hunt. For years my brother and i would meet in Malta idaho on easter Saturday and do a big rabbit hunt. I really miss things like that.

Bb
Posted By: Quak Re: Fever of 102 - 04/15/20
You can my friend...just take it one step at a time.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Keep your eye on the ball and you will achieve your goals. It’s 100% up to you...GOD can move mountains but you had better bring a shovel
Posted By: KFWA Re: Fever of 102 - 04/15/20
I am doing pretty well today. No temp and sats are around 90% which has been kind of a new normal range for me the last year. The pulmonologist refused to see me by telehealth and said I need to come in so I said ok make me an appointment. They then said they would get back to me because they're really busy. I got my ENT Dr to order my bipap but the medical supply place wouldn't answer calls and doesn't call back.

On Monday I called the ENT back and asked them to send the order to a different medical supply place but they still don't have the order. I don't think whatever I have/had will kill me, I think the stress of dealing with the medical world right now will.

I know I really want to do what I can to become more healthy. I've had several challenges the last few years that have made me realize your health is one of the most important things you have. I worked a lot of long hours at a desk job to get ahead financially but I don't think it was worth the toll it took on my health. My stress hormones have been running high for years do to chronic pain and inflammation from my autoimmune disease.

Taking steroids all the time has made it even harder to lose weight. I'm convinced that I need to do everything I can to lose weight and start exercising again. I'm trying to make a plan for long term and I'm starting with trying to get my sleep figured out and apnea under control along with weight loss. I need to get my insulin levels down too. I'm not diabetic and my A1c is always around 5 but my insulin levels are through the roof to keep it there.

I want my life back, I've got to get my pain. Inflammation, weight, and sleep under control. The next virus that the Chinese develop could be worse. This has taught me that there's more to preparation than food storage and savings.

I really just wish I could walk well enough again to go on a nice long rabbit hunt. For years my brother and i would meet in Malta idaho on easter Saturday and do a big rabbit hunt. I really miss things like that.

Bb

consider keto - it really does work and you get used to it pretty quick
Posted By: deflave Re: Fever of 102 - 04/15/20
Admitting that you're sick is the first step toward dying.

If your wife is a nurse you need to punch her in the face. Privately.

If she isn't a nurse, punch her anyway. Privately.
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by KFWA
consider keto - it really does work and you get used to it pretty quick

+ 100,000.

Stop the carbs.....all carbs. They have no nutritional value, and they just put fat on you, and turn you into a diabetic from making your body more and more insulin resistant.

The weight will start falling off of you, without even exercising.

Let your body determine when it's hungry, not you. Everybody thinks, "Oh, it's lunch time...I have to eat....or it's breakfast time....I have to eat"....Americans stuff their pie hole constantly, and it's killing everyone from all the diseases obesity brings on.

Eat high fat..animal fats. That's where you get your fuel, that and the little protein you need. The rest...vegetables, high in vitamins...brussel sprouts, spinach, kale, brocoli, straight cheeses.

NO SUGAR...it's poison to the body, weakens the immune system, and turns to fat.

High Fat Low Carbs Medium Protein.

Once you get a good chunk of the weight off, start walking, then brisk walking. That will help get your metabolism up and burn the fat off.

Losing the weight will solve your other health issues too.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Fever of 102 - 04/15/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Admitting that you're sick is the first step toward dying.

If your wife is a nurse you need to punch her in the face. Privately.

If she isn't a nurse, punch her anyway. Privately.

JFC flave what the hells got you so venomous today?
© 24hourcampfire