Home
Posted By: wabigoon YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Any have any success tracing your family back?
Posted By: rong Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
I tried the Ancestory.com stuff with little luck,I got deeper by contacting the county clerk where my gramma +grampa came from.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Yes, pretty good records on the civilized parts of the family
Posted By: wabigoon Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Thanks rong
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
I've traced a good portion of my family tree back to Europe.

A couple of branched took some interesting turns. The most notable individuals allegedly in my tree included King John 2nd, Eric the Red, and Charlemagne.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
I was born in West Virginia but grew up in California since the age of eight. On moms side they came over from Germany in the 1600's and I have ancestors who fought in the Revolution and both sides of the civil war. I have a cousin who spent several years researching mom's side. The Davis's from Logan and Mingo county W VA and are somehow related to the Hatfield's. On pop's side his mother and father came over from Syria CHRISTIANS in 1896 they settled in the Ohio Valley and he went to work for the Railroad. So all my life I thought I was Syrian and German. Then my Younger Sister took a DNA test a few years back and it came back Italian which I guess makes since the Roman Empire ruled the Middle East for I don't know how many centuries, and Scandinavian which I reckon is close to German...Either that or moms was hobbling the milk man...
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Cattle rievers, pork miners, kohlrabi mongers, and religious fanatics. Two-bit redneck, cousin-marryin’ peckerwoods!
Posted By: Steve Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Got some of mine traced back late middle-ages in Europe (some sort of royalty that helped select Austrian emperor if I recall correctly). Direct descendant of three people on the Mayflower on my moms' side and Pocahontas' grandfather (Powatan?) on my dads. On the other hand I have no idea who my paternal grandfather was.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Every one good-looking and smart, so far as we have been able to trace cool
Posted By: stxhunter Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
yup
Posted By: renegade50 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
American......
100%
DGAF about eurotrash notions of ancestory....
Posted By: JeffyD Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
I had an aunt in Ohio (now deceased) who made tracing our family's history her life's work. And this was long before Ancestry.com or personal computers. She published the results in a notebook format, and sent copies to all family members. Even printed updates every five years, including births, deaths and marriages. It went back to a Scottish knight in the 12th century.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Neanderthals it seems
Posted By: slumlord Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
can’t wait for that one ‘penelope’ phouck that will blow everyone away by telling us they are related to King Arthur, George Washington, and John Jacob Jingle-Heimerschmidt.

My money is on varmint guy
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Been fooling with it for a while. Traced one side to the middle ages in western Europe. We have a little French from Louis Durant, a trapper that came down the Mississippi from Canada and married a Choctaw lady and lived in Mississippi. Both of my Grandparents on my mother's side were on the original Dawes Rolls.
The best ancestry information is the "FREE" https://www.familysearch.org/en/ maintained by the Church of Latter Day Saints. Start building your tree and their software will eventually fill in and build it for you.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Some where we have large book some relative put together. It's been a big day here. My wife may look for it, and I'll start with that.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
My mother and a number of her cousins spent 8 to 10 years researching their family back to Harmon Bach (relative of Johann) arriving in Virginia approx 1638 from Freudenberg Germany. Someone typed it all up in type set software (1980's before WYSIWYG). Another cousin with a printing business printed the two volume 1900+ page result. Long story short, if you are from Breathitt County, or Magoffin County, we're probably kin...

My father's family, on the other hand, we think they got off the boat from England in the 1830's and immigrated to "Porkopolis" (Cincinnati) because they were butchers by trade. No clue regarding point of origin in the U.K. Only that they landed on the south side of Cincinnati...
Posted By: Bristoe Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
A distant relative of mine spent quite a bit of time and effort chasing part of it down several years ago. Another relative chased down another big part of it.

It's pretty well documented.

The bunch that came here from Cornwall back in the early 1800's had some money. But it was long gone by the time my generation came along.
Posted By: antlers Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
[Linked Image from i357.photobucket.com]
According to my Mamaw, most of our folks came from over in Milam county.
Posted By: jimboshrmp Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

A couple of branched took some interesting turns. The most notable individuals allegedly in my tree included King John 2nd, Eric the Red, and Charlemagne.

With this kind of lineage you will need a proper introduction. I think Chaucer is your man. The pertinent part is at 1:20, but dare ya to stop watching once he gets rolling...
Posted By: auk1124 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Scots-Irish, English, and there was a Mohawk Indian in the woodpile. Fairly typical Appalachian mutt.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Cattle rievers, pork miners, kohlrabi mongers, and religious fanatics. Two-bit redneck, cousin-marryin’ peckerwoods!

you left out cedar-choppers!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
can't figure out how to find the thread on my dads texas family history i made a couple yrs ago.
Posted By: Morewood Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
can’t wait for that one ‘penelope’ phouck that will blow everyone away by telling us they are related to King Arthur, George Washington, and John Jacob Jingle-Heimerschmidt.

My money is on varmint guy

Daniel Boone's sister is a distant relative, does that qualify for Penelope status?

My Mom did the family tree research and provided family trees to the entire family. Furthest back she went was some Englishman named Bramham born in 1496.

Lots of Revolutionary War veterans, Civil War vets on both sides, War of 1812, and Quakers.

One little note caught my eye: Obediah Coburn 1846 killed a man in Tennessee, moved to Missouri and changed his name to Prince.
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Nope! No cedar choppers!! Whe have some dignity !
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Originally Posted by jimboshrmp

With this kind of lineage you will need a proper introduction. I think Chaucer is your man. The pertinent part is at 1:20, but dare ya to stop watching once he gets rolling...

Well, he did have somewhere between 13 and 23 kids, depending on sources, 40 generations ago....
Posted By: CCCC Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Yes, traced back to the base of the tree - pretty certain it was a Boojum.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
My Mom's mother's family came here before USA was here.

He fought on OLD Ironsides as a cannoneer before he was here a while before he became a citizen.

The other side of her family came from what was known as east germany before it was.

Now my Dad's side were farmers in MS.and their might be some that did some things on the wrong side of the law way back when.
Posted By: joken2 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20

Pretty much a long line of town drunks, here.
The town drunks as represented in movies -- likely all kin.
Otis in Mayberry R.F.D. -- probably him too.
Posted By: old_willys Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
My Mom's family tree was researched many years ago the Honeywell's came from Germany, some where I have the records listing each descendant starting when they left Europe. In 1649 they landed in Connecticut by 1700 they ended up in Dallas PA which is 15 minutes from were I was born.

Dads family came in the 1600's but details are slim, I did find grave stones near were I was born in PA to early 1700's and history reference to a Major the Revolutionary war. Early pre revolution war gravestones were spelled SCOUTEN then afterwards most were as dad spelled it SCOUTON. Finally around 2000 I learned the whole story, seems half the family was pro revolution and the other half believed they would be better off as part off the British empire. After the war the British supporters were run of their land and ended up in Canada. The ones that supported the war stayed and changed it to SCOUTON to differentiate them selves from the others.
Posted By: slumlord Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
That was my uncle wrapped in the Shroud of Turin
Posted By: 22250rem Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Been tracing the tree back ever since I retired. I already knew a lot from listening to my grandparents when I was young. Ancestry.Com has verified a lot of what I heard. I'm a 50/50 German-Scottish mix. German side, my mom's grandparents, all got here in 1881, from a tiny Bavarian village and 1883, from the Alsace- Lorraine area. Dad's father came here from Scotland in 1914 to work, joined the Canadian Machine Gun Corps in April 1917, fought in WW 1 and married his old girlfriend in Dundee Scotland on his way home after the war, brought her here and had my dad and two girls. Also learned a lot about some ancestors that I only knew tiny bits & pieces about. Like some guy way back in the family tree who had been a harbor pilot on the River Tay and the harbor of Dundee Scotland. That was all I knew. Now I know his name, and that he was my paternal grandmothers grandfather on her mothers side; which makes him my great, great grandfather. Worked until he was in his 90's, and died in 1925 at age 97. It was neat confirming a lot of oral history that i had heard about him and others. We all have interesting family histories but so much of it gets lost over the years as memories fade and people die off.
Posted By: exbiologist Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/23/20
Originally Posted by jimboshrmp

People being traced to Charlamagne is pretty common. Can’t remember why, but you can look it up. Something to the effect as few others of that era kept records and everyone wanted to claim noble blood but had no real records or something like that.
Posted By: krp Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
My family from both sides came to North America early and moved west with the earliest.

My Mother's side were French and settle in Canada early 1600s, some of the first to settle in Ste. Geneviève, Missouri 1700s, my GreatGreatgrandfather was born there in 1818 and moved his family to Cloverdale California to raise grapes in the 1840s. I found an article from a San Francisco paper about his death in 1876, the toll booth Lady observed his wagon carrying grapes flip over on a steep bank throwing him 75 feet over a cliff to his death.

Lots of characters from both sides of my family.

Kent
Posted By: Bristoe Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
One of my ancestors from England kept a very brief diary of his trip from the time the ship landed until he reached western Kentucky. It was mostly just the date and one or two lines of what he did that day. One line says that he bought a piece of beef in Virginia. Another line says he bought a possum in eastern Kentucky.
Posted By: deflave Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
I've been tempted but I'm afraid I might be black.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe
One of my ancestors from England kept a very brief diary of his trip from the time the ship landed until he reached western Kentucky. It was mostly just the date and one or two lines of what he did that day. One line says that he bought a piece of beef in Virginia. Another line says he bought a possum in eastern Kentucky.

can you find the thread I posted on my family history in Texas? I tried but no luck.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

can you find the thread I posted on my family history in Texas? I tried but no luck.

I remember it. "The Old 300".

I recall looking up some of the family names you mentioned and found some stuff on the net. But I don't remember what the names were. If you do a search with the name it should show up.
Posted By: slumlord Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20

I remember it. "The Old 300".

I recall looking up some of the family names you mentioned and found some stuff on the net. But I don't remember what the names were. If you do a search with the name it should show up.

I've tried but the search engine isn't giving me anything.
Posted By: Muffin Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
10th great-grandfather immigrated to America in 1634.......... I still wear the name Maynard......

21st great grandfather - Edward I Plantagenet.............. they didn't leave us any money though!!!

Dr Edward Maynard - a cousin..... developer and patent holder of the Maynard Carbine 50cal - my avatar is his picture.

His son, George Willoughby Maynard, cousin, painted mural panels in the Library of Congress and the murals at Flagler College, Daytona Beach, FL

Unfortunately so is Obama....... through the white side!!!
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
antelope sniper, I guess we are cousins. My brother did the work. He even got an ancestor on the Mayflower.
the seach function on here is worthless even the google campfire seach engine is chit.
little piece can't find the thread.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
My last name. German. We have a family book tracing back to 1760's.
When I got my copy, I read every page. Fascinating stories.

My other grand parents?
Mom's Dads folk. Sweeden and England, off the boat.
The rest, not much is known.
One is German, the other(Martin) tracks to the Roman Empire.
So my guess is British of some flavor, who knows.

A smattering of,
Irish and Swiss also.

One night my Daughter ask "We know Dads family came from
Germany, where is yours from Mom".

I immediately said "Poland, every one of them"!
My wife took that well. I'm alive, she has a sense of humor.

Later, she found out there is a Polish Jew in her background.

Oh, schitz. I shouldn't have revealed that.
Now I will be Suspected.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
It is a wonder the Mayflower could float, she must have beeover loaded. I remember well me an' kaywoody being a welcome party. laugh
Safariman used to claim he was a "direct descendant of William the Conqueror."

Then he'd follow up with a speech about how proud he was of his daughter for chasing the coal sausage.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave

Afraid, hell embrace it.

If you can read, write, and speak intelligently, you will never want for a job.

Watched a co-workers kids get out of college with fluff degrees and absolutely
soar in big business. They almost couldn't get settled until they were promoted.

A cousin wanted to join the Sons of the American Revolution, he
searched his dads family long and hard. Came up short.
Someone gave him a copy of our book (his grandma).
That got him in like Flynn.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Afraid, hell embrace it.

soar in big business. They almost couldn't get settled until they were promoted.

Not worth the gamble.

I'd lose all respect for my wife.
Posted By: Scotty Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Two of my Great grandparents were orphans,one of my Grandma's parents. So her line has been a lot of dead ends. Both of my Grandfathers have them traced all the way back to Norway and Sweden. My other Grandmother we have most of it traced back to Europe. The first one came over in 1623. His wife was already here. I read one time that is 1650 Virginia had 50 Englishmen for every Englishwoman. So I am not surprised he married an Indian girl in 1628. Have relatives that fought in the American Revolution.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Believe there was a rope dangling from a sturdy limb.....

There's one or two folks on each side of my family that are into this stuff. My mother's family showed up in PA about 1743, one branch of my father's somewhat earlier in VA and later GA.

There are three members of my mother's family on one of the regimental plaques on the Pennsylvania Monument at Gettysburg. Pretty sure my father's kin, if any, would be on one on the other side of Confederate Avenue.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Afraid, hell embrace it.

Not worth the gamble.

I'd lose all respect for my wife.
lmao
Posted By: hanco Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
English, Norwegian, small amount Italian, one percent Chinese. Traced the actual family back to great great grandparents
Posted By: Otter Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Most of my great-great grandparents were born in Germany or Denmark (12 out of 16) and didn't come to the USA until after the 1870s. One of my great grandmothers from the German side, was the first of her family born in the USA, she died in 1987 at 106 years old. She was about 4'-10", was always called "Little Gramma", and spoke with a heavy German accent up until her death. My mother's father's side of the family came mostly from Ireland or England as early as 1703 or thereabouts.
Posted By: TCK Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
On my father's side we can go back to King Richard.
Here in America I am 13th generation born on American soil.
Cities named after us and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
On mother's side grandfather & grandmother came independently from Sweden just before World War 1
Posted By: EdM Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Nope. Given my parents are first generation Americans via their Ellis Island parents arriving from northern Italy I am pretty confident that I am of 100% Italian descent. Just looking at our noses would suggest the same....
Posted By: okie Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
We are fortunate to have good records back to the 1500's and very clear records from when the family came to Virginia in the early 1700's. We were Italians that were in England for a few generations before coming here. A large part of our records came from research done in the 1950's and 60's by a family member that traveled from one court house to the next gathering records and contacting living relatives/cousins for their records. He and his wife did this in their retirement years. He was a former editor and researcher before retirement and made this into a full genealogy book.
Many of the family branches can be easily followed by records of births, deaths, marriages, buying/selling land, litigation, adoptions etc...Lots of war records. One of the oldest entries was a letter to the Church of England griping about the preacher basically among other things. Signed by all the parishioners (men only) and several of them had to make their mark (X)
on the document. Interesting stuff...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by TCK
On my father's side we can go back to King Richard.
Here in America I am 13th generation born on American soil.
Cities named after us and a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
On mother's side grandfather & grandmother came independently from Sweden just before World War 1

The genealogy guru from my father's side claims to have traced all the way back to Alfred The Great, but considering human nature, I consider anything like that pretty suspect without DNA.

Even if two freight trains collided and great great grandpa fell out of a hobo's azz, it really has nothing to do with who WE are.
Posted By: LBP Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Not King Arthur but Edward I better known as Longshanks from Braveheart fame. Go figure
Originally Posted by LBP
Not King Arthur but Edward I better known as Longshanks from Braveheart fame. Go figure

Originally Posted by muffin
10th great-grandfather immigrated to America in 1634.......... I still wear the name Maynard......

21st great grandfather - Edward I Plantagenet.............. they didn't leave us any money though!!!

Dr Edward Maynard - a cousin..... developer and patent holder of the Maynard Carbine 50cal - my avatar is his picture.

His son, George Willoughby Maynard, cousin, painted mural panels in the Library of Congress and the murals at Flagler College, Daytona Beach, FL

Unfortunately so is Obama....... through the white side!!!

I guess that makes us cousins....................
My uncle was looking for his ancestors and he reached a dead end. Mom had told us the real spelling of that side's family name. When I told my uncle, I added it likely got changed over the question of the ownership of a horse. He did a lot of huffing.
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
My uncle was looking for his ancestors and he reached a dead end. Mom had told us the real spelling of that side's family name. When I told my uncle, I added it likely got changed over the question of the ownership of a horse. He did a lot of huffing.

Research is interesting......... the older the women got the more they lied about their age.

And spelling of names was often at the mercy of the census taker it seems.....
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by renegade50
American......
100%

That's me. Dad spent years and years tracing genealogy on HIS side of family and that primarily his mother's lineage. Bound it in books and distributed among kids and cousins. I have a copy around here somewhere. I have never opened it.

In the first place, absent DNA tracing, who knows if I am actually related to those people.

Second place, they have nothing to do with me becoming who I am.
Posted By: LBP Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Looks like
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Mother's paternal side limey from Halifax England in the 1830's. Well educated and literate and kept detailed notes on the most trivial stuff California gold fields after the Mexican war. Served the CSA. Donated land for public use later in life .Some ancestor between then and now kept all the money. Some Indians and hillbillies in the mix between then and now. Father's side supposedly allegedly were from Spain and were 3 brothers who were ship captains and brought an Italian guy over here in the late 1400's.. The rest of his side's story is kinda fuzzy, but there's towns all across the south with the name. state park and small town in Tennessee named for one. A lot of folks in the old days that had Indian or "objectionable " ancestry didn't discuss it back in those days, not if you wanted to attend some churches, or attend school, or trade at the store That's just the way it was. Also, a lot of kids were taken in by different families for different reasons without benefit of what we'd call adoption in these days. They just did it for whatever reason and raised 'em. My mother had a cousin raised with her family when something happened to the cousin's parents.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
My mama was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun!
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
American......
100%

Pretty much ^^^^^^ the best answer of all
Some groups like the English nobility or the Mormons have thing about ancestors , or areas , like Germany, that kept good records makes it easy.

When I heard about the Mayflower, I had a good laugh.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Been fooling with it for a while. Traced one side to the middle ages in western Europe. We have a little French from Louis Durant, a trapper that came down the Mississippi from Canada and married a Choctaw lady and lived in Mississippi. Both of my Grandparents on my mother's side were on the original Dawes Rolls.
The best ancestry information is the "FREE" https://www.familysearch.org/en/ maintained by the Church of Latter Day Saints. Start building your tree and their software will eventually fill in and build it for you.

Thanks for posting that link Butch!
Since Mom passed away two years ago I had been trying to do some research on her father’s side of the family.
I signed up for that site and the Mormons had tons of information.
I was able to trace her father’s side of the family back to Switzerland in the 1500s where I found that they were winemakers in the lake Geneva area. One of them I found out was a captain in Napoleons army. They then moved to Germany. And then landed in America, via Philadelphia, and settled in Pennsylvania in the early 1700s were they fought in the American revolution, then moved down to Georgia via South Carolina where they fault in the Civil War on the Southern side. And then came to Texas in the 1870s. Was able to trace my great great grandfather’s grave which is only about 70 miles south of here where I suspected it was. Even found a photo of his tombstone online. I will be visiting soon.
I always thought they were Germans, as their last name was Whisenhunt. They had changed it from Visinand when they came to America!

I knew about my Scotch / Irish / English / and Dutch descendants on Dad’s side, and my Irish /Cherokee/ Comanche heritage from Mom’s Mother’s side, but never new I had any Swiss heritage until today!
Posted By: hookeye Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
My family tree.....pops came over on a boat.
Moms side traced back to Revolutionary War.
My ol lady came over on a plane.

There be 'coons on one branch of the tree (cousin's branch).
My guess is 9mm and teen years will act as arborist.
Posted By: hookeye Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
2nd cousin on mom's side had all the pioneer stuff, back to Rev war.
Think not much before coming to this land.

My middle kid tried to do my dad's side, but records not much in the old country.
War kinda trashed stuff.

Did find some form of cousins in NY and across the pond.

I don't get trying to expand the family in knowing 2nd and 3rd and ?? cousins.
Don't give a flip.

Hell I can barely keep my 1st cousins names remembered. Let alone their spouses and kids names.

There are some that take on the family history tree duty, and that is cool.
My 2nd cousin was a hillbilly but accepted that duty and did a good job.
I am appreciative of it.

He wasn't asked, just something he was passionate about and he did well. Good for him.

Big time geneology center I guess in Ft Wayne IN.

Family to me means wife and kids. Outside of that, DGAF.
Am actually a content type of person.

Seems that too many looking for extended family, tend to not be well grounded with the one surrounding them.
Theyre searching for something, and they aint never gonna find it.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
It's a lot better to do the DNA test to build your tree.I first tried searching through records and spent a lot of time searching for census records and really found a lot of dead ends around 1800.I was on Ancestry the other day and checked the DNA ThruLines link and it built my DNA trees from both my Father's and Mother's sides all the way back to Mid 1700's 5x Great Grandfathers and 5x Great Grandmothers.Found out one of my 5xGreat Grandfather was a Cpt in the Revolutionary War and his Son fought in the War of 1812.Two of my 2x Great Grandfathers fought in the Civil War.Find a Grave is another good site too.Sometimes you can collect information there too.The trees are not complete on the DNA,but as more people do the DNA,the better the trees become.I know one of my Grandfathers had twelve Brothers and Sisters.The family trees is only going to show the DNA link of the family members who have taken the DNA test.This is what I found on one of my 5xGreat Grandfathers.This also led me to another site called GENI
https://www.geni.com/people/Capt-Moses-Guest/6000000003669768191
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
DNA links is how they are catching killers, rapists, etc from many decades past now.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Found on GENI a lot of close relatives and I knew about and some details I was unaware of like Grandama Rose had 15 kids, 10 of which grew to adulthood.
Posted By: joken2 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20

Originally Posted by Ranger99
...Also, a lot of kids were taken in by different families for different reasons without benefit of what we'd call adoption in these days. They just did it for whatever reason and raised 'em. My mother had a cousin raised with her family when something happened to the cousin's parents.

^^^ This was fairly common back in the day. especially female children when the mother died or for whatever reason no longer actively present in the home.

Back in the late '60s a very nice, well kempt older woman doing church visitations stopped at our house. As we talked it turned out that she was a distant cousin on my dad's side of the family. She said she was just a toddler when her mother died, had several both male and female siblings all older than her and after their mother passed other two parent families took in the girls and very youngest boys and raised them as their own. Over the passing years they wound up scattered all over the country. She said it took years to eventually locate them all again.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
The thing about geneology is, it tracks family names, not actual parentage. In other words, it ignores the reality that for a lot of people, odds are good that there was some hanky panky going on through those generations, and there were no DNA tests back then.

Your family NAME may trace back to Richard the Lionhearted, but your actual DNA may trace back to Sam the Milkman...
Posted By: srwshooter Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
found out last year I am kin to a NC governor who was good friends with George Washington.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
We're mostly German and French. Mom had a distant relative who actually flew with Baron Von Richtofen. He was an ace with 5 kills, and subsequently killed in action. Dad was mostly French. His family homesteaded a beautiful valley south of the Youngstown Ohio area. We still have relatives out there but the valley has long ago been subdivided and sold off. They settled out there before 1900. Supposedly the last bear killed in that area came off our family's land, and there was a still running there during prohibition. I've found several different old cabin sites with bottle dumps out there and wondered if they were my distant relatives.
Posted By: ingwe Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any have any success tracing your family back?

Yep. The whole way back to Scotland. Three brothers apparently had the choice to emigrate to the new world, or face punishment for their crimes ( horse stealing primarily) The settled in Westmoreland County Pa. in the mid 1700s, fought in the Revolution and the Indian wars and started the whole clan between them.

My grandfather used to say, when queried, " you don't want to know about that side of the family...bunch of horse thieves..." laugh
Posted By: cooper57m Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
My wife is a really good genealogy researcher and did lots of work on my family. Being from the North Country of NY near the Canadian border, much of my ancestry is French Canadian. My first ancestor, on my paternal side, that came to North America was a French soldier/armorer who was one of the early settlers of Montreal in the mid 1600s. When the King of France wanted to colonize Canada (New France) he asked French women to go the new world to marry soldiers/fur traders. These women known as "The King's Daughters" (Filles du Roi) married men in Quebec and Montreal and became the first families of Canada. My ancestor, Jean-Baptiste Bousquet, married one of these women, Catherine Fourrier.

On my maternal side, my 5X Great-Grandfather, Antoine Paulint, was a French soldier from near Grenoble who came to Canada with General Montcalm to fight in what we call the French and Indian War (The Seven Years War). He was an enlisted man who helped build Fort Carillon (later named Fort Ticonderoga by the English) and who fought in the Battles Fort William Henry and of Fort Carillon, defeating a much superior force of English lead by Gen Abercrombie. He also fought in the Battle of Quebec City, on the Plains of Abraham, in a losing effort. After the war he stayed in Quebec and married a daughter (16 years his junior) of a fellow former French soldier. When General Montgomery, at the beginning of the Revolutionary War, invaded Quebec in 1775, he recruited former French soldiers (whose hatred of the English was well known). These recruited Canadians formed the 1st and 2nd Canadian Regiments. Captain Antoine Paulint was 41 yrs old in 1775 when he joined the 2nd Canadian Regiment. He was at Valley Forge and fought in the battles at Staten Island, Brandywine, Germantown and Yorktown with General Washington and Lafayette. It was said that he was friends with Lafayette, due to being an officer with a common language. After the war he couldn't go back to Canada and having no land in the US, he was granted 900 acres on the shore of Lake Champlain and would go on to start the Village of Coopersville NY and settled it with others from his former regiment. It is family lore that at the age of 79 he watched the English sail past his house, down Lake Champlain, in 1813 and wished that he was younger so that he could fight the English once more.

ps, His Great-Grandson (my Great-Great-Grandfather) enlisted in the Union Army and was captured at the First Battle of Bull Run, was paroled, re-enlisted and fought under General Grant. He named one of his sons Grant and another Lincoln.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
My ancestry is easy. Norway on my Mothers side. Sweden on my Fathers side.

Their first stops in America were Minnesota and Iowa. The Norwegians (Mother's side) moved to Montana and squatted on the Crow Reservation when the Crow's got moved to where they are now.

The Swedes (Father's side) never left Iowa. My dad moved to Yellowstone Park to work, met my Mother who also worked there , got married and made me and my two brothers and sister.

So far, we have lived "happily ever after" 4th generation in MT. Our kids and grand kids now 5th and 6th.

Still no "Royalty" grin

Posted By: BobMt Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
American......
100%

same here...…...bob
Originally Posted by auk1124
The thing about geneology is, it tracks family names, not actual parentage. In other words, it ignores the reality that for a lot of people, odds are good that there was some hanky panky going on through those generations, and there were no DNA tests back then.

Your family NAME may trace back to Richard the Lionhearted, but your actual DNA may trace back to Sam the Milkman...

That’s it right there

And all part of my snarky posts earlier. You always see someone claiming some absurd linkage. lol

Yet to see anyone fess up to having a maternal link to Tom Jefferson’s brown sugar sex magik ‘farm girls’ girls.
lol
Posted By: Pugs Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
My Mom and Grandmother did a whole lot of genealogy work back before the internet. A lot of "vacations" were dragging my brother and I through cemeteries in GA, MS, AR and TX and musty old courtroom document rooms. In the national archives researching Revolution war pensions and other fisches tired

That side I know back to Islay Scotland and the first came over (via London) in the 1662 through Norfolk and Cape Fear. Some settled there but mostly went west including living in the State of Franklin in 1780 following the Revolution (where as near as I can tell from pensions they did a lot of marching arriving a day late for the battle) then on to AR where some served there during the Civil War (I have a tin type of him). Some kept moving west and ended in Texas in 1835 fighting for Texas.

They settled down then in San Sabba county with land he got for serving and became a family of farmers out through my Grandparents. WW-II changed all that and they leased the land and finally sold the farm in in the 80's.

It's great to be a self-made American who might not give a darn about some old people form Europe but seeing my ancestors marriage record in the marriage book in London's All Hallows Church from 17 August 1662 gives a person perspective. The guts they had to look to the far horizon and envision a better life and go do it is inspiring to me when I look at the trivial stuff we deal with today.
Posted By: Squidge Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
I've gone and traced at a bunch different ancestral lines on Family Search, some run out and are incomplete, some go beyond BC, sometimes I find what I like to call the bullchit line too. Go back far enough most of us likely share a common ancestor.

That’s it right there

And all part of my snarky posts earlier. You always see someone claiming some absurd linkage. lol

Yet to see anyone fess up to having a maternal link to Tom Jefferson’s brown sugar sex magik ‘farm girls’ girls.
lol

Yeah.

It's always the guy that's 5' 10", with schit brown eyes that claims Leif Erickson was his great granddaddy.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20

Fyi, Roger!

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uet05

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ftu29

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ftu30
Posted By: CCCC Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Some interesting stuff here folks - thanks.
Mine fairly simple - on one side Scots that came over in later 1700s and settled in the South somewhere and gradually wandered up to DE and southeastern PA. On the other side were Schwenkfelders who left Silesia (German/Polish border area) for religious reasons in the 1700s and became very well established in eastern PA. So - it is boring - simply Anglo-Saxon.
"On the other side were Schwenkfelders who left Silesia (German/Polish border area) for religious reasons in the 1700s and became very well established in eastern PA. So - it is boring - simply Anglo-Saxon."

You may already know this Paul, but in the mod 1700’s Silesia was being continually fought over by Frederick the Great, Maria Theresa of Austria, and occassionally ( depending on who they allied with this time) the Russians. Old Fritz pretty much came out on top after the Battle of Leuthen. ( You might remember reading from your music days the Prussian soldiers singing the "Leuthen Chorale" after this battle. JS Bach’s "Nun danket alle Gott" BWV 79).
Traced the Powell side back to a grandfather born in Va 1740s, that's as far as I could get on my own googling. The real stories with meat are from the late 1700s and 1800s when they lived in Pendleton District, South Carolina, two brothers intermarried with mixed Cherokee brides, I came from one of those brothers. They moved to Ga 1840s with their parents.

1863 my ancestor grandfather and the oldest child Mary died of tuberculosis. Elvira moved the rest of the kids away from the remaining family, for whatever reason, some say to get her son who was 13 away from conscription into the confederate army. 8 kids, moved to Old Parker KS, near Coffeyville, took the ferry across and settled on the west side of the river, one of the first settlers in the area. Farmed, ran a boarding house, and cobbled, blacksmithed.

Her oldest son my gggrandfater, was in his late teens, story is he and some twins were caught by a posse from Coffeyville and accused of stealing horses, they were hanging them by the river and one twin was hung, John and the other twin escape and hid in the river. The next morning they sent word to Elvira through a friend, she loaded her rifle on the wagon and road through Coffeyville and picked them up, riding back through daring anyone to try and take her son. Some time latter John was approached in another town by some in that posse, an argument broke out, shots fired and some of them were killed. John eventually moved to Oklahoma next to the Cherokee nation and lived a long life.

Kent
Posted By: Sycamore Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Nope! No cedar choppers!! Whe have some dignity !

Even the lesser-Gentry must keep up appearances...... grin

good on ya buddy!
Posted By: las Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
I think mine is a potato or peanut plant..... smile

That’s it right there

lol

5-10% of life fathers, it is claimed by various sources, are not the biological fathers, tho they think they are. Or pretend to think they are.

I don't think I'd care - every kid needs a father, no matter who. DNA test will tell, tho.
Posted By: memtb Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20

My wife traced her’s on her father’s side to King Charlemagne’s father (can’t remember his name). She has “one hellofa family tree). My search ended at a prison somewhere in Germany (joke) grin: memtb

Originally Posted by las

That’s it right there

lol

5-10% of life fathers, it is claimed by various sources, are not the biological fathers, tho they think they are. Or pretend to think they are.

I don't think I'd care - every kid needs a father, no matter who. DNA test will tell, tho.

Over the years I've known and known OF several men who knowingly and willingly married women already pregnant by other men. When born the child was given their surname on the birth certificate and gladly raised as their own blood anyway. They saw the child as the other man's loss and their treasured gain.
Posted By: Tuco Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by BobMt
American......
100%

same here...…...bob

Pretty much me, too. Other members of my family have taken an interest in genealogy but, as far as I'm concerned, my ancestors are simply irrelevant names on a page...I just can't get interested.
Probably the largest assemblage of my ancestors ever photographed. My great great Grandfather is the man standing close to center in the suit preparing to marry his second wife. The small woman on the right holding the child is my great Grandmother. The child she's holding is my great uncle. (Grandfather's brother) My Great Grandfather is wearing the dark hat and sitting on the horse. The pic was taken at the old place in McCracken County Kentucky.

Posted By: 5sdad Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
I've never really been all that interested. In any event, I am sure that I would rank far down the line on all of the "been here the longest/most famous connections" contests.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I've never really been all that interested. In any event, I am sure that I would rank far down the line on all of the "been here the longest/most famous connections" contest.

It's interesting to me because many generations of my family are buried in the small community where I grew up. In fact, the land that I grew up on was part of the original homestead that my ancestors purchased when they first moved into the region.
Posted By: persiandog Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
anyone on https://www.gedmatch.com/ , lets compare DNA .
Posted By: 5sdad Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by las

That’s it right there

lol

Over the years I've known and known OF several men who knowingly and willingly married women already pregnant by other men. When born the child was given their surname on the birth certificate and gladly raised as their own blood anyway. They saw the child as the other man's loss and their treasured gain.

"Your father just landed a three-pound trout."
Originally Posted by las

That’s it right there

lol

You're right of course, raising matters in the long run a hell of a lot more than DNA. But the modern dna tests at 23andme, etc. can reveal some possible sins of the past.

"Grandma always said we were Italian on both sides of the family. Why the hell did my dna come back as 1/8 Lithuanian? " Lol

Originally Posted by las

That’s it right there

lol

You're right of course, raising matters in the long run a hell of a lot more than DNA. But the modern dna tests at 23andme, etc. can reveal some possible sins of the past.

"Grandma always said we were Italian on both sides of the family. Why the hell did my dna come back as 1/8 Lithuanian?
" Lol

And then again, it could just easily raise question as to the accuracy and reliability of the consumer DNA tests for determining ethnicity.
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ftu23

TUMLINSON, GEORGE W. (1814–1836). George W. Tumlinson, Alamo defender, son of Elizabeth and James Tumlinson, Jr., was born in Missouri in 1814. He moved to Texas and settled in Gonzales. Tumlinson entered the Texan Artillery under Almeron Dickinson on September 23, 1835. He took part in the siege of Bexar and was discharged afterward. He reenlisted on December 14 for six months of service in Capt. William R. Carey's artillery company. Sometime before the siege of the Alamo began, Tumlinson may have left for his home in Gonzales, returning to the Alamo on March 1, 1836, with the Gonzales Ranging Company of Mounted Volunteers. Tumlinson died in the battle of the Alamo on March 6, 1836.
True! Who knows how accurate those dna tests are.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
The fact remains, as interesting as our heritage may be, and it is, were are here now to do our best.
Posted By: grumpy7904 Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Traced My family tree to Edward Gove who tried to start a revolt in 1683 in New Hampshire and was sent to the Tower of London for Three years before He was set free. And Carlos Gove that was a gunsmith in the old west and made a under lever for the Remington Rolling Block thats was very popular at the time.
long read but good. two of my ancestors in it.

https://www.texasranger.org/wp-cont...s-Rangers-at-the-Battle-of-the-Alamo.pdf
Posted By: Valsdad Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
mutt on father's side

mutt on mother's side.

therefore mutt here
Sure was nice of our ancestors to fight indians, clear land, hand dig 1 ton rocks, drag em off with mules, and burn stumps till their backs broke....so we could inherit a farm and goof off on the innernek all day.
Sure was nice of our ancestors to fight indians, clear land, hand dig 1 ton rocks, drag em off with mules, and burn stumps till their backs broke....so we could inherit a farm and goof off on the innernek all day.
lol no chit.
It's not about linage, it's about the people themselves. Both sides of my family, the common thread is they were among the first as each area of this country was opened up. They just kept moving west.

I've found it disingenuous when common Mexicans claim they are indigenous to the southwest just because Mexico had a claim of title from 1821 to 1846 from Spain. They didn't live here, they didn't control the territory, Indians did and they hated Mexicans that ventured in.

A relative came into NM to trade with the Utes in the 1820s, was a guide for Kit Carson and Fremont when they came through and in their books. He guided my GGgrandfather, his cousin, to the newly opened California wine country in the 1840s to grow grapes.

I'm indigenous to the southwest, more than a mexican, not as much as an indian.

I have about every nationality mixed but I'm born to the west through blood and sweat.

Kent
Posted By: CCCC Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
"On the other side were Schwenkfelders who left Silesia (German/Polish border area) for religious reasons in the 1700s and became very well established in eastern PA. So - it is boring - simply Anglo-Saxon."
You may already know this Paul, but in the mod 1700’s Silesia was being continually fought over by Frederick the Great, Maria Theresa of Austria, and occassionally ( depending on who they allied with this time) the Russians. Old Fritz pretty much came out on top after the Battle of Leuthen. ( You might remember reading from your music days the Prussian soldiers singing the "Leuthen Chorale" after this battle. JS Bach’s "Nun danket alle Gott" BWV 79).
Thanks Bob - I did know most of that and quite a bit more due to the fact that the Schwenkfelder Heritage Center in PA caught up with me in the 1980s after my great uncle provided them a bunch of family history data. He was proud to be a Schwenkfelder and hoped I would become active in the efforts of their Society. Already a very busy fellow, I did not go in heavily but in the course of things they educated me fairly well about the old history of that area, the back and forth dominance, the key actors, etc. In the early 2000s they sent a delegation into the Polish side of the area to locate, photograph and write about some of the ancient monuments and grave markers. It was during elk season and I didn't sign up for the trip. We don't see those forefathers as either Polish or German - simply strong folks from Saxony - like Martin Luther. Thanks again.
Posted By: Scotty Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
One of my ancestors in his will made mentioned of his two mulattoes. So I guess I have some distant cousins out there. His daughter, who I descended from, husband was in the militia during the French and Indian war. Their son fought in the Revolutionary War.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by krp
It's not about linage, it's about the people themselves. Both sides of my family, the common thread is they were among the first as each area of this country was opened up. They just kept moving west.

I've found it disingenuous when common Mexicans claim they are indigenous to the southwest just because Mexico had a claim of title from 1821 to 1846 from Spain. They didn't live here, they didn't control the territory, Indians did and they hated Mexicans that ventured in.

A relative came into NM to trade with the Utes in the 1820s, was a guide for Kit Carson and Fremont when they came through and in their books. He guided my GGgrandfather, his cousin, to the newly opened California wine country in the 1840s to grow grapes.

I have about every nationality mixed but I'm born to the west through blood and sweat.

Kent

Yep. The Comanches and Apaches hated the Mexicans. And killed them and ran them out of what they “claimed” for Mexico back then.
Spain, built missions in the SW to rape and pillage the Indians in the name of Catholicism
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Yep. The Comanches and Apaches hated the Mexicans. And killed them and ran them out of what they “claimed” for Mexico back then.
Spain, built missions in the SW to rape and pillage the Indians in the name of Catholicism

One thing the Spanish New Mexicans hated just about as bad as the Navahos, were Texans!
Posted By: victoro Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/24/20
I looked at Ancestry.com about 20 years ago when I got my first home computer and somebody had done a lot of research on my ancestors. I didn't know how to print screen then so I just wrote a lot of stuff down. Last year my Daughter got interested in her genetics and got one of those Ancestry spit in cup tests done. I had already told her that most my ancestors all came from Ireland and but from also all over Europe. When she got the results she was surprised to find out she was a little bit Scottish. I told that I wasn't surprised because in those days you could walk from Scotland to Ireland. That or maybe her Mom was part Scottish.
Posted By: krp Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

One thing the Spanish New Mexicans hated just about as bad as the Navahos, were Texans!

Apache's were the big terror in the southwest, Navajos were much more peaceful to the whites... but it was said an Apache doesn't fear anyone but a Navajo, if a Navajo decided to kill you he wouldn't stop till he did.

I've spent a lot of time on the reservations and with people from the different tribes, on a whole good people, enjoy their sing song voices and laughter. Their culture was F'ed by the stronger White man culture, a sad but common story in the evolution of human development.

Kent
Posted By: stxhunter Re: YourfFamily Tree? - 05/25/20
found the thread https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12686026/1
© 24hourcampfire