Home
I've joined the plastic pistol club. I bought a Glock 48 a couple months back and have been shooting it. I really like the simplicity of the Glock platform, weight, and dependability. Trigger still sucks but I'm looking at alternatives.

I've been pondering a Glock 20/40 for a month or so and finally pulled the trigger on a Glock 20, pun intended, this weekend. The Gen 4 guns were a game changer for me. Gen3 and earlier guns feel like a 2x4 in my hands - and I have average size hands. The Gen 4 guns feel different and comfortable. I shot the 20 yesterday and was surprised how accurate I was able to shoot it right out of the box. On my 48, I tend to the the Glock thing - a tad low/left and have been playing with my grip. I did not have that issue with the 20 - everything right down center. Held 3-4" groups at 10-20 yards. Needless to say, I was really happy. Didn't try the Underwood 220s but that will happen soon.

A couple of questions for the Glockified Cru'

1) Is the low/left thing purely grip? I'd bet I have too much hand on the smaller Glock which is causing the low/left thing. Its only 1" low and left but it shouldn't be. The group size is good so whatever I'm doing, I'm doing consistently.
2) What are the aftermarket trigger choices? My plan for all my handguns is hunting/hiking/woods carry - which is to say they will see rain, mud, use. I'll stick with the OEM trigger if I risk losing reliability.
3) What upgrades should I consider with the 20? I think the Gen 4 guns have sufficient springs for Underwood/Buffalo Bore but some suggest stainless. What do you guys do with your 20's? BTW: I like the simplicity of the dot and U sight pattern. I find it easy to locate the front sight and re-acquire the target with that system. A fiberoptic may help if available.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
An inch low and left from what distance?

I wouldn't do a damn thing to your Glock.

Accessories are for 1911's.
Yeah, apart from better sights, I leave all my Glocks 100% stock. The trigger can be mastered fine the way it comes.
Distance 5-10 yards for Glock 48. At 20+yds it grows to 2-3" low/left. I shoot the 10 much better at distance.
Originally Posted by bwinters
Distance 5-10 yards for Glock 48. At 20+yds it grows to 2-3" low/left. I shoot the 10 much better at distance.

Are you shooting with a true thumbs forward? Your weak side thumb should be in line with the top of your forearm all the way to your elbow. The entire line should be parallel to the deck.

As far as it being low, you might need different sights. It might be able to be corrected with grip but kind of hard to do over the internets.
It is difficult for some to understand the understanding that it takes to understand that the Glock rear sight can be drifted right and left enough to change the horizontalness that needs to be acquired to zero in the left and right category plus Glock sells different heightness of sights for the compensateness of elevation. They are not hard to move as they are plastic.
As doofus and goofus as I am I know these things and can do them much to the mesmerizement of the Illuminated ones on here.
I'd shoot it from a rest and determine whether it was me or the gun. Use the grip that works for you, your age and your anatomy. Drift the rear sight the direction you want to move your group.
1) Is the low/left thing purely grip? I'd bet I have too much hand on the smaller Glock which is causing the low/left thing.

Given that low left is perhaps the most common place to miss, I'd say it's you and not the gun. Further, it's probably not the hand position of your grip. I fought low left misses on a Commander 1911 .45 and found that I was making a common mistake: as I was pressing the trigger I was simultaneously squeezing the gun extra hard and mashing the trigger in anticipation of the recoil. You're shooting a 10mm and could be doing the same. As has been suggested, shoot the gun from a rest. Don't flinch (yes, I know you can't just tell somebody not to flinch, but it's important here) and see where the rounds impact.

2) What are the aftermarket trigger choices? My plan for all my handguns is hunting/hiking/woods carry - which is to say they will see rain, mud, use. I'll stick with the OEM trigger if I risk losing reliability.

Glock has a ton of aftermarket trigger choices. I haven't found it necessary to do anything to the factory trigger. I'm not a great shot, but the factory trigger works fine on the 4 Glocks I currently have.

3) What upgrades should I consider with the 20? I think the Gen 4 guns have sufficient springs for Underwood/Buffalo Bore but some suggest stainless. What do you guys do with your 20's? BTW: I like the simplicity of the dot and U sight pattern. I find it easy to locate the front sight and re-acquire the target with that system. A fiberoptic may help if available.

I believe the answer to "which sights?" is purely personal preference. My favorite sights on a Ruger MKII is a factory black front painted lime green and factory rear left black. On a G19 I have 3-dot nights and like them. Get whatever sights you find help you hit where you're aiming--starting with a high vis front sight sounds like a solid plan and is easy to change out yourself.

If your hands have trouble reaching the slide lock and/or the magazine release, you could get extended versions of both. I have the Glock extended slide lock on one G19 and the Vickers on another. I waver on which I prefer; both are fine. I like the Glock extended mag release over the Vickers version; the Vickers is rounded which tends to defeat its intended function.

Beyond that, I'd say leave it alone--Glock is not a perfect company, but I'd say they currently have all the bugs worked out (with the possible exception being the G42 .380--it had feed/function issues awhile back; I don't know what's happening with it now.) Most of us (myself included) need to just engage in (1) regular, (2) quality practice. Spend your gun money on ammo and shoot it. Use a .22lr pistol as well. As you begin to improve, you'll focus more on making changes to yourself and less on making changes to the gun (at least that was true for me). Enjoy your new gun!
I've joined the plastic pistol club. I bought a Glock 48 a couple months back and have been shooting it. I really like the simplicity of the Glock platform, weight, and dependability. Trigger still sucks but I'm looking at alternatives.

I've been pondering a Glock 20/40 for a month or so and finally pulled the trigger on a Glock 20, pun intended, this weekend. The Gen 4 guns were a game changer for me. Gen3 and earlier guns feel like a 2x4 in my hands - and I have average size hands. The Gen 4 guns feel different and comfortable. I shot the 20 yesterday and was surprised how accurate I was able to shoot it right out of the box. On my 48, I tend to the the Glock thing - a tad low/left and have been playing with my grip. I did not have that issue with the 20 - everything right down center. Held 3-4" groups at 10-20 yards. Needless to say, I was really happy. Didn't try the Underwood 220s but that will happen soon.

1) Is the low/left thing purely grip? I'd bet I have too much hand on the smaller Glock which is causing the low/left thing. Its only 1" low and left but it shouldn't be. The group size is good so whatever I'm doing, I'm doing consistently.

Thanks.

Why the bad-word do you want to bad-word up your pistol? You clearly don't know your bad-word from a hole in the ground.
I'd just upgrade sights to tritium, if your pistols came with the plastic ones.

I wouldn't go changing up trigger parts. Sometime people get carried away with that, and it can affect reliability.

Drift that rear sight on the 48 to bring your hits online.
As I'm typing here, My trusty old Gen2 Glock 17 is riding on my strong-side hip, in a Serpa paddle holster.

I put tritium on this one in 1994. I need to get some new ones. They are mighty dim after 26 years.
Originally Posted by deflave

Are you shooting with a true thumbs forward? Your weak side thumb should be in line with the top of your forearm all the way to your elbow. The entire line should be parallel to the deck.

As far as it being low, you might need different sights. It might be able to be corrected with grip but kind of hard to do over the internets.

Thumbs parallel grip as you describe. The smaller frame of the 48 feels like I have too much pressure on the front of the gun.
An inch low and left from what distance?

I wouldn't do a damn thing to your Glock.

Accessories are for 1911's.

What flave said.
Learn tigger pull/squeeze

My trigger on my glock sucks but I’m accurate with the dang thing.

Look at ZEV triggers....
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I'd shoot it from a rest and determine whether it was me or the gun. Use the grip that works for you, your age and your anatomy. Drift the rear sight the direction you want to move your group.

This is the direction I'm headed. I'm new to Glocks and was curious what those that shoot them had to say. Reading the internets the low/left thing is brought up alot. There also seems to be a separate world of accessories and upgrades. I liken it to Kimber Montana's - a couple of known things to check if they aren't shooting as good as you'd like.
I'll stick with OEM trigger for a bit. I shot the 10mm fairly well for its maiden voyage, surprisingly well in my book. I shot it better than the baby Glock.
Purchased a Glock 20s 10mm few weeks back, feels good in the hand.Have not had time to shoot it yet.I have the Glock 43X 9mm as my carry gun, love it.
I drop holes in a Copenhagen sized circle with stock trig and gun at 15 yards.
26 is accurate. No mods.
I was never a glock fan until owned one.
Put night sights on it. Leave the rest alone.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yeah, apart from better sights, I leave all my Glocks 100% stock. The trigger can be mastered fine the way it comes.

Yes, it's a very high precision trigger & with a little bit of practice, you'll be able to consistently make head shots in the ear hole under extreme duress at 60+ feet in a church setting.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Yes, it's a very high precision trigger & with a little bit of practice, you'll be able to consistently make head shots in the ear hole under extreme duress at 60+ feet in a church setting.

MM

Once you take up the slack, Glock triggers have a pretty crisp wall before the break. With just a little practice, you can bring it back to the wall, and from there it's not much worse a trigger for precise shots than that found on a typical 1911. Precision shots are not much harder to achieve, if at all, once you understand the trigger. Off hand, no support, I can keep shots inside a pie plate at 25 yards, using my Glock 26, without much trouble at all.
it's not much worse a trigger for precise shots than that found on a typical 1911.

Oh, my....................

Haven't seen many Glocks lately on the 50 yard slow fire line though, just sayin'. wink

MM
I've got 3 M&P's with Apex triggers and kits in them, I like em a bunch.

Since September or October, I've bought 3 Glock's, a 43, a G45 Gen 5 and a Gen 5 17 MOS, so basically all gen 5's and the thing I like best about them is they're all stock except sights. I've been Glockified too! My next purchase will be a G44.

I'm down to one 1911 and that might be one too many...
Interesting I traded my RIA 10mm on the Glock 20. I'm eyeing the 45 ACP (21?). I'm also looking at a 17 for goofing around. If I shoot the 17 better than the 48, I'll likely sell the 48.
Also of note, I weighed the trigger pull of my 20 and 48. They were 5.5 and 5 lbs respectively. I would have bet they were 7-8-9 lbs.
Originally Posted by TWR

Since September or October, I've bought 3 Glock's, a 43, a G45 Gen 5 and a Gen 5 17 MOS, so basically all gen 5's and the thing I like best about them is they're all stock except sights. I've been Glockified too! My next purchase will be a G44.

The M&P 2.0 triggers are better, IMO, than the stock Glock triggers; but I do have to say that the G5 that I have, with the addition of a connector only, is better than any of the other previous versions of the Glock triggers that I have, even with them being worked over.

The G5 is a sample of one, but we've got 7-8 G3's & 4's, & as delivered there's a fair amount of variance in the feel & break of those triggers.

MM
Originally Posted by TWR

G30.
Mine was tits.
Your talking .45acp?
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by TWR

G30.
Mine was tits.
Your talking .45acp?

Love my Glock 30.
Before you do anything, shoot at least 500 rounds or more through the gun. Make sure the thing works before you dump money into it. Yeah I know, its a Glock, perfection and blah, blah, but all the gun companies turn out a lemon occasionally. Make sure you like it after the newness wears off. Get familiar with the gun. Work on your grip and trigger control, figure it out before you begin throwing money at it.

If it runs and you decide it suits you, put some decent sights on it. The plastic ball in a bucket sights are slot fillers. I like steel tritium dot over dot sights, or a tritium front only and black steel on the back. I might swap out a connector and a spring but I don't get too involved in the Glock trigger. I did put a polished stainless guide rod and 22 lb. recoil spring in my G20. That smooths out the true 10mm hot 200 & 220 grain 1,200+ fps Underwood loads. Other than that I shoot the chit out of it and pack it in bear, lion and hog country.
Low and left eh. Dot on dot, no 6 o’clock hold. Left, adjust your grip and or your trigger finger.
You have been enlightened by the illuminated ones showing great illumination with their enlightening words of enlightened instruction that will give an illuminated appearence as you endeavor to reach an illuminated level to fulfill your goal.
BUT REMEMBER REAR SIGHTS CAN BE DRIFTED AND GLOCK SELLS DIFFERENT HEIGHT REAR SIGHTS in case the the illumination that has been shown upon you somehow dims in illumination power.
Go forth and illuminate others with your illuminated knowledge before it dims to just an ember glow.
Originally Posted by TWR

The M&P 2.0 triggers are better, IMO, than the stock Glock triggers; but I do have to say that the G5 that I have, with the addition of a connector only, is better than any of the other previous versions of the Glock triggers that I have, even with them being worked over.

The G5 is a sample of one, but we've got 7-8 G3's & 4's, & as delivered there's a fair amount of variance in the feel & break of those triggers.

MM

I had a few 1.0’s that got the Apex kits and triggers but once the 2.0’s came out, I was all in and shot 2 of them stock. Then one day after a match, I shot a guys 2.0C just like mine but he had An Apex flat faced trigger and I couldn’t help myself. I ordered 2 of them and thought I was set.

Then I needed a pocket pistol for running and found a good deal on a G43. That led to the G45 (9mm) which led to a G17.5 MOS. The triggers on all 3 of mine are the best stock striker fired triggers I’ve shot. The gen 5 guns won me over.

Fester, my G45 is 9mm but after shooting a 460 Roland, I’m kinda liking the big Glock and might wind up with one.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Before you do anything, shoot at least 500 rounds or more through the gun. Make sure the thing works before you dump money into it. Yeah I know, its a Glock, perfection and blah, blah, but all the gun companies turn out a lemon occasionally. Make sure you like it after the newness wears off. Get familiar with the gun. Work on your grip and trigger control, figure it out before you begin throwing money at it.

If it runs and you decide it suits you, put some decent sights on it. The plastic ball in a bucket sights are slot fillers. I like steel tritium dot over dot sights, or a tritium front only and black steel on the back. I might swap out a connector and a spring but I don't get too involved in the Glock trigger. I did put a polished stainless guide rod and 22 lb. recoil spring in my G20. That smooths out the true 10mm hot 200 & 220 grain 1,200+ fps Underwood loads. Other than that I shoot the chit out of it and pack it in bear, lion and hog country.

Exactly what I was looking for - thank you. I've run 150 rounds through it since I bought it - with 15 round mags, it don't take long to run 50 <G>. It functions perfect. I'm getting used to the trigger but would really like it to be a bit lighter. It is crisp with no creep just a bit heavy. I'll have a look at the steel tritium. I've had fiber optic on other pistols and like how they show up at the edges of daylight and dark days. Thanks again!
I like my 21 G3. I would like to have tritium sights though. I think I want suppressor height sights to help my old eyes see them. One has a 50 GI top on it and one has a optics ready slide, RMR mounted, heavy recoil spring and guide, and a 9" Dasan barrel for 45 super. Both were bought with experimenting in mind but neither on have needed a trigger alteration. Guess I'm just one of the unwashed. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

I put at least 1,000 rounds per month through Glocks, so might as well throw my 2 cents in as well:

1) No most likely it's not a grip problem, that's trigger control. Glock triggers are a bit more challenging to master than most; best fix is to do a lot of dry fire, doing it right of course. The 9mm case on the front sight trick is good practice to get you started.

2) For the G20- a factory "-" (minus) connector, gen 3 trigger, and extra power trigger spring will make a big improvement. The 48 is a little different being gen 5 - the Ghost Pro connector made a big difference in my 43 (same action as your 48), but if you don't want to fit an overtravel stop use the Edge connector instead. In both guns, leave the striker springs alone.

3) The G20 can benefit from a 22-24 lb spring if you're using a steady diet of Underwood type loads. (The gen 4 is no exception.) Other than that, just shoot it. Don't bother swapping barrels, that's a common "upgrade" that mainly just lightens your wallet and is unneeded most of the time.
If you're serious about upgrading anything, have the slide milled for an RMR or DeltaPoint Pro and match it with a set of suppressor sights to cowitness.
If the triggers don't smooth out to your liking after the aforementioned 500 rounds, I've used the Ghost standard 3 1/2 lb drop-in connector (the first one in the linked chart below) in a bunch of Glocks. They drop right in and work as advertised to lighten/smooth up the pull. That's the most I ever do to a Glock trigger. On my Gen 4 19, I didn't even need to do that. The trigger pull on it after a few hundred rounds is as good as my Gen 3 guns with the Ghost 3 1/2 lb connectors.

Ghost Connector comparison chart
Thanks Yon and jds. Trigger makes more sense. I do feel like I'm fighting it a bit.
Low left, yep, me too, read right here from Bluedreaux, increase support hand grip to match strong hand, take to tremor, then back off to steady, hold and fire, I grabbed my Glock, some mags, ear plugs, and a cardboard box, ran out back, and by god, it works!
Interesting I traded my RIA 10mm on the Glock 20. I'm eyeing the 45 ACP (21?). I'm also looking at a 17 for goofing around. If I shoot the 17 better than the 48, I'll likely sell the 48.

if you have the 20, just buy the upper for the 21, it will slide right in the 20 frame.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

if you have the 20, just buy the upper for the 21, it will slide right in the 20 frame.

Didn't know that - thanks!
Originally Posted by gunner500
Low left, yep, me too, read right here from Bluedreaux, increase support hand grip to match strong hand, take to tremor, then back off to steady, hold and fire, I grabbed my Glock, some mags, ear plugs, and a cardboard box, ran out back, and by god, it works!

Good to hear!

It’s “trigger control” only in the sense that your grip fails you as you manipulate the trigger.
As others have recommended, all I do to my Glocks is add a set of tritium night sights, rest stays stock. Have many but my favorite is my G30S.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Good to hear!

It’s “trigger control” only in the sense that your grip fails you as you manipulate the trigger.

Exactly right B, I grabbed more pistols and tested them that day too, a couple that I had drifted the rear sight right had to be drifted back center. crazy, all in the grip, I have now stippled all mags on the lower left portion that hang out of the grips, just little scrub pads for the left hand to grip firmer on, and have stippled the whole grip frame for my Glock 21, it makes all the difference, sent a pic to CHLI I shot at 50 yards braced the other day, two rounds about 2 inches apart, just kind of a quick homemade church drill, i'll take that any day from any handgun.

Good to hear!

Same is true with revolvers too, at least in my experience.
I am happy with 2 124 Federal HST’s into 2-3 inches at 15 yards in 5-6 seconds using a P365
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am happy with 2 124 Federal HST’s into 2-3 inches at 15 yards in 5-6 seconds using a P365

That'll work too jimmyp, I had the 200gr Lehigh penetrators at 1055 in the Glock, was mainly seeing if they'd print close to the 230gr Gold Dots at 966, they did, with bluedreaux's info, I'm hitting a hell of a lot more center.

My experience too lastround, the old fixed sight Colt SAA does indeed shoot center, there was a time I talked to my 'Smith about rotating the barrel. shocked, it wasn't the revolver, it was me!
Night sights are WAY overrated, but it's only money.
I don't know. In my experiences, the tritium sight are very much worth having.

I've used the tritium sights in low light/no light training. (USMC High Risk Personnel course). Jarheads to my left and right had M9s with standard sights, and we all had flashlights.

The advantage I had with tritium was enormous. I didn't really need the flashlight at all.

Without them, the flashlight can be used to get a silhouette of your sights, but it is a disadvantage. Of course nowadays with weapon mounted lights, that does change the game somewhat.
Originally Posted by ScottBrad

I certainly don't agree with that. There are good arguments for not using really bright tritium sights (mainly giving away your position), but night sights definitely have value.
“ give your position away”. LOL.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I've used the tritium sights in low light/no light training. (USMC High Risk Personnel course). .

That course was the most fun I've had with my clothes on!!!
Great memories.
Originally Posted by Yondering

I certainly don't agree with that. There are good arguments for not using really bright tritium sights (mainly giving away your position), but night sights definitely have value.

Oh my God.

Hadn't hurt that one in a while.

Ranks right up there with the "tumbling bullet" design of the M16.
If a Good Guy were standing in total darkness aiming at an armed thug with their Nite Sight handgun and thug number two was sneeking up behind the Good Guy would it be impossible for thug number two to see those little dots on the sight and then determine where the Good Guys head is and thug number two shoot the Good Guy in the foot with his 9MM Miracle Evaporator and totally evaporate the Good Guy with a shot in his foot or anywhere from the foot to the top of his head?
Remember the 9MM Mystical Miraculous Evaporator only needs to just graze someone and they will be evaporated. Evaporation is quick.
I'm holding out for a CZ75....maybe with one a them lazer sights
Originally Posted by viking

grin, I sure no nothing about all the combat speak, but do enjoy the hell out of sleeping in the dark with the rest of the house dimly lit.
Originally Posted by Savuti

I've used the tritium sights in low light/no light training. (USMC High Risk Personnel course). .

That course was the most fun I've had with my clothes on!!!
Great memories.

It was a good one. We burned a LOT of ammo.....grin

I love it when you post.

grin, I sure no nothing about all the combat speak, but do enjoy the hell out of sleeping in the dark with the rest of the house dimly lit.

That's how we roll too.

That's how we roll too.

Yessir!
Don't know if anyone has thrown this drill out or not. The penny drill. UNLOAD YOUR GLOCK AND TAKE OUT MAG............PRESS CHECK TO MAKE SURE UNLOADED!!!.

Put a penny on the front sight. extend and press the trigger. Penny stays on you should be good to go. Great drill for anyone.

RH
What helps is to put a drop of Crazy Glue on the top of your front sight before putting the penny on top of it. I am seeing more and more of the shooting wizards with pennies glued to the top of their front sight at the range as time goes on.

Originally Posted by Razorhog
Don't know if anyone has thrown this drill out or not. The penny drill. UNLOAD YOUR GLOCK AND TAKE OUT MAG............PRESS CHECK TO MAKE SURE UNLOADED!!!.

Put a penny on the front sight. extend and press the trigger. Penny stays on you should be good to go. Great drill for anyone.

RH

That's how we roll too.
Yessir!
Can you folks elaborate on this?
We keep a soft light on in the middle of the house. all night.

When you come out of the bedroom (which is dark) your eyes can see pretty good in the soft light.

Should you need to check an odd noise, there is no need to have a flashlight of weapon light to see what's up. In the event of an intruder, he does not gain the cover of darkness.

When you come out of the bedroom (which is dark) your eyes can see pretty good in the soft light.

Should you need to check an odd noise, there is no need to have a flashlight of weapon light to see what's up. In the event of an intruder, he does not gain the cover of darkness.

I got the general concept, but wanted more details, which you provided. Thanks.

I like my advisory in front of me.
After interviewing a few Silver Star awardees in my old Air Guard unit (we had three) I put a laser and a light on an AR and dedicated it to the bedroom.

To a man, they came home from Iraq or Afghanistan and put lasers and lights on their weapons.

They’re all about rapid targeting and precise, and effective fire.

I love it when you post.

I love it when you pretend to have a clue. Keep trying, maybe someday you'll figure things out for yourself instead of parroting what somebody else told you.

Here's a hint - try spending some time in the dark. You'd (apparently) be surprised how much a new tritium sight lights up.

I love it when you post.

I love it when you pretend to have a clue. Keep trying, maybe someday you'll figure things out for yourself instead of parroting what somebody else told you.

Here's a hint - try spending some time in the dark. You'd (apparently) be surprised how much a new tritium sight lights up.

Just STFU already.

You're way out of your league.

Try Reddit.
I am going to have trijicon’s put on my G31 soon. Then it will Perfection, lol.
So is that a NO to night sights? Or was that night sweats?
Menopause

I love it when you post.

Tell me again how many times you’ve gone looking for bad guys in the dark with a gun.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
After interviewing a few Silver Star awardees in my old Air Guard unit (we had three) I put a laser and a light on an AR and dedicated it to the bedroom.

To a man, they came home from Iraq or Afghanistan and put lasers and lights on their weapons.

They’re all about rapid targeting and precise, and effective fire.

We have lights on our main house guns as well. Laser too on the handgun

TLR-6 on the G19, and fresh tritium sights. Only 100 lumens, but it is a light.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cloud Defensive OWL on the 14.7" 5.56, 1250 blinding lumens.
Those OWL lights are pretty serious.
Yes, it's a serious searchlight. Since we live rural, I've had it outside at night. It's amazing. It will throw a good beam well past 200 yards.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

grin
Yes, people with good or corrected vision can see another person's handgun night sights, in near or total darkness, from 25-40 feet. The rear sight is the primary offender and it is particularly noticeable with the pistol extended or in a typical duty holster.

They do work great for finding your pistol in the dark.

My personal guns are equipped with a front tritium sight and standard rear.
I run black rears with lit fronts...Not for fear of giving away my position - Pretty sure the 5” inches of my muzzle blast might though...Too late for the bad guy by then.

😎
A lit front makes sense, can't like a lit rear. I mostly use black rear and a Dawson fiber front.

Regardless of moon phases or romantic lighting, I always have a light.

That seems legit....grin
Yes, people with good or corrected vision can see another person's handgun night sights, in near or total darkness, from 25-40 feet.

They can definitely be seen, no doubt about that. They were designed to be seen.

The snickering and scoffing is about there being such a significant risk of night sights giving away your position to a bad guy that it becomes a good argument for not using them. Which is absurd and tactical masturbation at its finest.

There are good arguments for not using really bright tritium sights (mainly giving away your position)
I went to some tactical training years ago in a neighboring county. They had some guys that wore BDU’s and they were the tact team. One guy said they don’t use night sights because “ they give you away” while ninja’ in around I guess..I just said the he ll you say.

I love it when you post.

Tell me again how many times you’ve gone looking for bad guys in the dark with a gun.

I'm guessing you don't get an answer...............

That seems legit....grin

Did a week of low light in December with a lot of force on force at the end.

When one of those lights hit you in total darkness, followed by 10 sim rounds, that image really isn't too far off. LOL.
Yes, people with good or corrected vision can see another person's handgun night sights, in near or total darkness, from 25-40 feet.

They can definitely be seen, no doubt about that. They were designed to be seen.

The snickering and scoffing is about there being such a significant risk of night sights giving away your position to a bad guy that it becomes a good argument for not using them. Which is absurd and tactical masturbation at its finest.

There are good arguments for not using really bright tritium sights (mainly giving away your position)

I'm guessing that yonderling hasn't heard of or seen a flashlight. I believe they are very useful despite giving your position away. I believe they are used often in the dark

That seems legit....grin

Did a week of low light in December with a lot of force on force at the end.

When one of those lights hit you in total darkness, followed by 10 sim rounds, that image really isn't too far off. LOL.

I'll bet.

Back at MSG School we did similar type stuff down in the basement of the school (Marshall Hall, Quantico) We had some paintball revolvers and flashlights. Near the end of my time there, we started using Simunitions in the Model 19s.

Send in a stack of students against an instructor playing intruder in our 'shoot house' in the dark. Great training. We relied on sweatshirts for abdominal protection, but had some paintball helmets for our faces. Lots of bruises and welts afterwards....along with some of the best zhit-talking and laughs.....grin
Any groin shots? lol. Best to where a cup.
Any groin shots? lol. Best to where a cup.

We put a folded up towel down there for extra protection.
On a different note, I've been burning powder in my Glocks. I tweaked my grip as Bluedreaux suggested - shazam! Right down the middle. Still hitting at bottom of spot but dont think that's an issue. I still shoot my G20 best of all. Ran another 150 rounds through today. Still wish the trigger was a bit lighter but I can hit with it.
Whats next?you say eekaHI-POINT wink
I tweaked my grip as Bluedreaux suggested - shazam! Right down the middle.

Good!
Originally Posted by DollarShort

I looked at the CZ the sights were tiny on the one I looked at, I am sure they could be changed just a comment as other than that feature the gun looked very nice, was tight, seemed very well made.

That's not really what I said though, is it? You carefully edited out the part (and the main point of my post) where I said night sights are useful. Discussions with you usually go that way though, since you're more interested in "winning" an internet argument than productive discussion.

It doesn't really matter if you think your bright night sights will never be an issue, or even if it applies to me. Not everyone uses guns the same way, and it takes a special kind of arrogance to think your way is the only way that matters. Your myopic view of guns and lights at night does not apply to everyone in all situations.

I already said night sights are useful. I use them. I have also been told about the potential issues by credible people, and have since verified for myself and in training that yes, it can be a consideration. Most of those same people still use night sights, but avoid the really bright versions. Some just keep their sights covered when not in use, whatever, it's not the individual solution that matters so much as just being aware of the potential problem.

Some of yall sure make a big deal about a small detail in a comment. Cabin fever must be rough this year.

On a different note, I've been burning powder in my Glocks. I tweaked my grip as Bluedreaux suggested - shazam! Right down the middle. Still hitting at bottom of spot but dont think that's an issue. I still shoot my G20 best of all. Ran another 150 rounds through today. Still wish the trigger was a bit lighter but I can hit with it.

Now figure out how to do that one handed.

Or improve your trigger control, that works too and will come eventually with practice.
Nothing!
There is nothing else

That's not really what I said though, is it? You carefully edited out the part (and the main point of my post) where I said night sights are useful. Discussions with you usually go that way though, since you're more interested in "winning" an internet argument than productive discussion.

If you want a productive discussion, then let's do that.

Please let everyone know what realistic scenario exists where you're in the dark with a bad guy, you've got a gun out, and the illumination from your night sights is what lets the bad guy know where you are. A situation where a bad guy is behind you at an angle suitable to see the illumination but has no clue that there's a hundred and eighty pounds of person holding those sights.

THEN tell us about how the risk of that imaginary scenario occurring is so great that it becomes a "good argument for not using them". Those are your words, not mine.

Now, go ahead and start that productive conversation.

It doesn't really matter if you think your bright night sights will never be an issue, or even if it applies to me. Not everyone uses guns the same way, and it takes a special kind of arrogance to think your way is the only way that matters. Your myopic view of guns and lights at night does not apply to everyone in all situations.

I already said night sights are useful. I use them. I have also been told about the potential issues by credible people, and have since verified for myself and in training that yes, it can be a consideration. Most of those same people still use night sights, but avoid the really bright versions. Some just keep their sights covered when not in use, whatever, it's not the individual solution that matters so much as just being aware of the potential problem.

Some of yall sure make a big deal about a small detail in a comment. Cabin fever must be rough this year.

I knew you would double down on a bust hand
Yondering continues to expose himself for what he is.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by DollarShort

I looked at the CZ the sights were tiny on the one I looked at, I am sure they could be changed just a comment as other than that feature the gun looked very nice, was tight, seemed very well made.

Yeah, maybe so. Kinda like 1911 or other old school heavy semi auto pistols. Nothing like a partridge target sight thats for sure. But probably snag free though.
The term Glock is Austrian for Hi-Point! Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Please let everyone know what realistic scenario exists where you're in the dark with a bad guy, you've got a gun out, and the illumination from your night sights is what lets the bad guy know where you are. A situation where a bad guy is behind you at an angle suitable to see the illumination but has no clue that there's a hundred and eighty pounds of person holding those sights.

THEN tell us about how the risk of that imaginary scenario occurring is so great that it becomes a "good argument for not using them". Those are your words, not mine.

Nah, you already ran this one way past productive discussion into full on straw man arguments and selective reading comprehension.

I'll try to make this clear since you don't seem inclined to understand:

I said there is an argument (not even that it's my argument) for not using bright night sights. There are people specifically choosing dimmer night sights for that reason. I did not say it was an argument for not using night sights at all, that was your own misinterpretation of what I said, even though the point of that post was that night sights are useful. I use night sights and a light on my bedside gun.

You also still don't seem to grasp that the reflected light from a bright set of night sights can be visible on your hands, face, clothing, etc without a direct line of sight to the tritium vials. Someone doesn't have to be behind you to see that. You know so much, you should be able to figure that out on your own, but then again maybe you think every scenario involves running through a dark building with your weapon light on.

Some of you city boys are really special.

Well if anyone here is an expert on exposing themselves, it'd be you.

Well if anyone here is an expert on exposing themselves, it'd be you.

You're a poser.

Try Reddit.

Nah, you already ran this one way past productive discussion into full on straw man arguments and selective reading comprehension.

I'll try to make this clear since you don't seem inclined to understand:

I said there is an argument (not even that it's my argument) for not using bright night sights. There are people specifically choosing dimmer night sights for that reason. I did not say it was an argument for not using night sights at all, that was your own misinterpretation of what I said, even though the point of that post was that night sights are useful. I use night sights and a light on my bedside gun.

You also still don't seem to grasp that the reflected light from a bright set of night sights can be visible on your hands, face, clothing, etc without a direct line of sight to the tritium vials. Someone doesn't have to be behind you to see that. You know so much, you should be able to figure that out on your own, but then again maybe you think every scenario involves running through a dark building with your weapon light on.

Some of you city boys are really special.

I'm quite sure that he has a much better grasp than you do. Bluedreaux chases bad guys for a living and shoots competitively in the top class of shooters

All you do is argue about crsp that you are clueless on. Just like when you tried to tell me that my 45 Super wasn't set up correctly and one of the best gunsmiths in the world set mine up

You doubled down again when you shoul
have folded
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
The term Glock is Austrian for Hi-Point! Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Lmao. that will get get the fan base all pissy.
Kind of like pulling out a canik tp9 series .
Originally Posted by jwp475

I'm quite sure that he has a much better grasp than you do. Bluedreaux chases bad guys for a living and shoots competitively in the top class of shooters

All you do is argue about crsp that you are clueless on. Just like when you tried to tell me that my 45 Super wasn't set up correctly and one of the best gunsmiths in the world set mine up

have folded

LOL. And you are still butthurt about my disagreeing with you a couple years ago. Some people are really sensitive. I spoke from experience, and if you don't like it, get over it. I don't really care, but get tired of you following me around to chime into whatever disagreement pops up.

You seem to a much higher opinion of Bleudreaux and deflave than I do. Both of them have a solid history of giving advice about things they know very little about, by their own admissions.

No way will an idiot ever cause me any but hurt. Simply pointing out how full of crap you are and you arrogance is exceeded only by your BS

And I'm calling BS on your 1,000 RSS every month as well
Originally Posted by jwp475

have folded

LOL. And you are still butthurt about my disagreeing with you a couple years ago. Some people are really sensitive. I spoke from experience, and if you don't like it, get over it. I don't really care, but get tired of you following me around to chime into whatever disagreement pops up.

You seem to a much higher opinion of Bleudreaux and deflave than I do. Both of them have a solid history of giving advice about things they know very little about, by their own admissions.

I can guaran-damn-tee I got more experience working in the dark and shooting a pistol than you ever will.

Like I said before, try Reddit.

Yonderling, it is easy to spot the posers. You remind me of Lee24

Yonderling tells us how many have given their position away because of night sights? And show the source. I'll hang up and listen

i hear ya viking. only way for that to happen is if somebody is behind you. better clean them ears out so you can hear 'em slippin' up on ya ha! i personally have went with ameriglo hackathorn sights on my g26 and g19,about to order a set for my g17 and g43,due to the fact they have a blacked out rear sight with a bright orange daylight viz paint around the tritium green dot front.i've always been a 3 white dot night sights on my glocks but have seen the way now. not that there is anything wrong with the 3 dot sights. i just been trying to work on faster target acquisition and the 1 orange front sigth dot has helped and i've noticed absolutely no accuracy drop off. ALWAYS focus on the front sight.
Big Ed
I've been Glockified...what next?

Once you go Sig or S&W M&P 2.0....................................you'll never go back to Gluck. grin

MM
I've been Glockified...what next?

Once you go Sig or S&W M&P 2.0....................................you'll never go back to Gluck. grin

MM

But if you ever try a Gen 5, you might end up with more Glocks than M&P's or Sigs...

I did! smile
I have a 19x, & it is the best of 5 Glucks that I own & it's OK, better trigger than the G3 or G4.

Glucks are fine guns if you like them & they fit for you; I shoot them just fine & they are surely reliable, but I hate getting my trigger finger chewed up in a long range session, they are the least accurate / precise of the 3 under discussion.

My EDC is now a Sig 229 SAO & it's more comfortable in my hand than Glucks by a long shot & is much more a precision shooter, in part due to the SAO trigger, & I can shoot it all day & still feel my trigger finger at the end of the day........................I love 1911's, & the Sig is an "updated 1911" with more mag capacity.

Before the SIg came along, for the last 18 months or so, I've been carrying a 2.0 version of the M&P & I still really like it, much better than the Glucks, not as much as the Sig. And it, also, is more accurate / precise than the Glucks.............& all my Glucks have been tuned & have better than average triggers.

But none of the Gluck triggers, including the G5 version, are as good as the S&W 2.0 or the Sig.

I'll still use a Gluck occasionally, especially my G27 as a jacket pocket gun when needed, but other than that, they'll get relegated to a lower tier status for me. Sigs, M&P's, 1911's & Beretta's will all get more use than the Glucks.

The best thing about the Glucks is that, except for 1911's, there's more parts available for Glucks than anything else to personalize them as you choose.................but for me, that's not enough.

FWIW, JMHO, YMMV

MM

No worries, I've been carrying a 2.0C for a couple of years now. I have another one that is my practice gun and a 1.0 in 45acp. I hated the hinged trigger and put Apex kits in all of mine. Had a couple of full size guns and a CORE along with 3 Shields. My wife has a 22 compact too.

But I started shooting the G45, then a G17 MOS, then a G43 and now a G44. There are a few things I prefer on them over the 2.0's but my 2.0's aren't going anywhere. I did sell my Sig 228 a few weeks ago, very accurate but slower on a timer so I will replace it with a G19.5 pretty soon. The only thing I'll change on the Grocks is the sights.

I do have a soft spot for 1911's too but that's my problem, I like most all pistols in every caliber. We have some good choices available today.
Yes, the choices today are really staggering................besides the ones we've been discussing, there are lots of great guns from H-K, Walther, Ruger & Springfield, just to name a few.

Different people have different wants & feel in a gun & given all the options today, virtually everyone should be able find something that fits & that they are comfortable with.

And they pretty much all work, just a matter of personal preference...............some stuff like Sig, S&W & Gluck are maybe a little more proven over time.

My Glucks aren't going anywhere either as they're not eating much right now.

MM

Between competition and classes, I’ve put about 30k rounds through Glocks over the last 6-7 years. Here’s what I’ve learned:

Ammo matters. Find what your pistols shoot best and stick to that. Duty-grade JHP tends to be the most accurate, regularly putting five shots into 2” or less at 25 yards. Flat-point FMJ is almost as good. A lot of round-nose FMJ is junk, but good round-nose FMJ is good for about 4” at 25 yards. I’ve had excellent luck with American Eagle 124- and 147-grain ammo out to 100 yards, although Federal recently changed the 147 to something that’s not as accurate beyond 25 yards. S&B is also uniformly excellent. The heavier weights tend to group better in Glocks.

Avoid aftermarket Glock triggers—almost none of them are proven reliable for the long haul. YouTube has videos on the “25-cent trigger job”, which gives you the same pull as if you’d fired the gun several thousand times and is definitely worth a look. A few minutes with a Dremel, a felt polishing wheel, and a bit of Flitz makes a difference.

The trigger takes a while to master. I use a smooth, uninteruppted press like you’d use on a DA revolver. Don’t try to stage it. Put your finger on the trigger so the end of your trigger stroke has you pressing straight back, then let the trigger reset—that’s how you know where to start. Typically this means sinking way more finger into the guard than you’d think. Pat McNamara and Kyle DeFoor have good videos on this.

Grip it like you’re trying to crush the magwell. See Ben Stoeger’s video on grip—it makes a big difference.

Glock sights are a nighmare. If you shoot other handguns well AND you’ve learned the Glock trigger stroke, then it’s time to fiddle with the sights. Pistols have to be zeroed just like long guns, and Glock sights rarely hit where they’re supposed to from the factory. Hitting left is VERY common with Glocks. That's an easy fix, but elevation corrections are tougher. I once had a Gen4 G17 that was very accurate but six inches high with most loads at 25 yards and totally off the paper at 50. I sent it back to Glock, who claimed that it was within spec. I ended up putting a very high front sight on it to get POI down to a usable spot, but after that it was fine. I’ve had several others that were 3-4” high or low at 25.

Aftermarket sights will not automatically fix this. Most aftermarket sights sold as sets are the same height as the factory sights, so if the factory sights are wrong then the aftermarket ones will also be wrong. I finally ended up buying a dozen plain black blades of different heights. Now I shoot a new Glock enough to find out which ammo it shoots best, then figure out the right height for the front sight, THEN order night sights that will give me a proper 25-yard zero with that load. Yes, you can use a formula to get the right height, but this method is faster.

Speaking of zeroes, I’ve also found that the zero on a brand-new Glock can wander until you have about 500 rounds through it, so shoot it that much before you fiddle with the sights.

Final note on sights: the plastic ones can break off easily. If you really like that pattern, get the steel ones. They’re ultra cheap and exactly like the plastic ones.

You will almost definitely find the G17 to be easier to shoot than the G48, but that's because it's a full-sized pistol and the G48 is meant to be concealable. Don't be too quick to get rid of the 48. It may meet a need you didn't know you had.

I have no idea how to hotrod a G20--never fired one.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Okie John
The biggest problem I had was using the tip of my finger on the trigger. My buddy told me about the Pat Mac video saying use more finger and things straightened right up. Best tip I've gotten on shooting Glock's.

Oh and if you're paying attention to the front sight, it don't matter about grip angle. That was a close second.

Thanks.

I would upgrade to G40 mount handgun holosight to take full advantage what 10x25 has to offer.
Thanks okie - good post.

I've been shooting the Glocks quite a bit. Accuracy has improved to the point where I'd shoot at a deer under 50 yards. Still shoot the 20 best of all. I've grown to actually like the 20.
© 24hourcampfire