Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I am truly sorry that your experience (and apparently others as well) has been so bad with Conley. The company has certainly changed and not for the better, since I last dealt with them. A few years ago, before I got into reloading, I ordered 2 boxes of 350 Rem Mag ammo with the Barnes 200 gr TSX. If I remember correctly, the order took a month or 2 to arrive. Since I ordered right after the end of hunting season, this was no big deal. I did call to check on my order and the owner himself answered the line and was very friendly and helpful. I wonder if he's still the owner or if he sold out? Anyway, the ammo produced by Conley was scary accurate but was about 300 fps less than published specs. I was a little disappointed but, quite frankly, at the ranges I normally shoot game, I'm not all that bothered by this.

However, what this whole experience taught me is that, if you want it done correctly and quickly, do it yourself. The ammo from Conley was not cheap (no custom ammo is). Then you factor in the waiting period and the chances of something going wrong and, well, it just strengthened my resolve to begin reloading, which is exactly what I did. I've not regretted the decision. I must add that I slowly accumulated much of the basic reloading equipment and supplies over a period of years, taking advantage of good deals along the way. So, when I finally stopped procrastinating and decided to reload, I had just about everything I needed. Since you have found some ammo to hopefully get you through this hunting season, if I were you, I'd think about and plan just what your reloading goals are going to be and begin buying what you need so that you'll be ready to go next season. This way you'll avoid unnecessary purchases (and wasted dollars). As others have already stated, there are many forum members with a wealth of experience, who are eager to help. Trust me when I tell you that, if I can learn to reload, just about anyone can. You'll love it and will be able to realize the full potential of the 358 Winchester, which just happens to be a cartridge for which reloading will reap huge benefits. Just my $.02 worth.

BTW years ago I had a Browning BLR (steel receiver) in 358 Win. and found that the Winchester factory load (200 gr Silvertip) was very accurate and effective on deer size game.

Good luck.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All of these horror stories only reinforces why I reload!!!
It only takes a few boxes of custom loaded ammo, or store bought for that matter, to equal a basic reloading rig.
Somebody posted about starting out with a Lee Loader. That ain't no shabby idea. A Lee Loader, a plastic mallet, a powder scale to give you more versatility in powder selection, a Lee Autoprime, and you're set to go. Under $100. What is that? Two or three boxes of ready rolled ammo? A young fellow came by my place to sight in his rifle and had some store bought ammo that he'd paid right at $40.00 for..... to kill a 100# WT with.
Bench Rest shooters use set ups quite similar to a Lee Loader and very few of them actually weigh their powder charges.

Aim for the exit hole.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I completely agree with going over to the dark side and start rolling your own. The Lee Anniversary reloading setup is on sale for $70 or $75 at Midway right now. I bought the same setup years ago and it has served me well. It's probably not what a benchrest shooter would want, but most of us don't shoot benchrest. It produces consistent an accurate ammunition.

C
C
I bought some CorBon ammo for my Rem. 260 and some Nosler custom in 7 mm Rem. Mag. from Midway and I was very happy with the preformance of both. The only problem is it is very expensive. I'm going to look into investing in equiptment to roll my own. Any suggestions on beginner loading equiptment?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well you live long enough you learn. I once tried to buy some 6.5 x 54's a whole case of Norma 140 gr loads a special run, I wanted a bill for the ammo sent and then I would mail a check and he could then ship the ammo, no problem, a month gone by and I get a phone call from the guy, where is his money I said were is my bill, he hung up after a couple of four letter words. I would have been screwed out of 485 dollars. With out a invoice, or bill, you don't have a leg to stand on, unless you use some sort of credit card. That was about 15 years ago. The lesson I learned is a simple one, hand load, or shoot something very common and easy to come by locally.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Reloading components have been scarce as hen's teeth for over a year now. No doubt that what you are experiencing is the same thing that all reloaders have been experiencing for a while now. Brass for your rifle is made once a year or once everyother year. As war heats up, odd ball calibers will be made less and less, stock up while you can.

Take heed....this is a sign of things to come.

Last edited by keith; 11/11/09.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 46 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,345
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.