Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice bike, the “Adventure” version with engine guard (AKA “slider”) fog lamps and luggage. I had that same slider installed on mine at the time of purchase, it might help protect the plastic when it falls over.

Along those lines next purchases will be a luggage rack and a set of big aluminum panniers. I have heard they make the bike easier to pick up again when it does fall over. An important consideration for us Boomer types.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The KLR finally arrived.

Mid-life crisis purchase.

Hadn’t thrown a leg over a motorcycle in 14 years.

Turns out I still remember how it’s done.

200 mile trip from the dealer today, the manual said not to take it over 60mph for the first 150 miles, I wanted to get that over with ASAP, after that not to exceed 88mph for the first 500. Not exceeding 88mph generally ain’t a problem for a KLR grin tho it can get there if you’re patient. Useful acceleration Peter’s out at about 85.

This is peak migration weekend so I was gonna ride it to the coast and birdwatch, spend the night down there on the beach/give Rog a call, birdwatch Sunday then ride home up I 37 by dark.

But… it was sustained 20mph S winds gusting to 30+ from the Gulf of Mexico, forecast to continue overnight into tomorrow. Perfect for migrating birds, even a warbler can hit 40-50 in those conditions. Sucks for birders tho, the birds don’t stop at the coast they keep on trucking inland. Not much fun to ride a motorcycle in either.

So…. 102 miles from the dealership to Presidio La Bahia, Goliad, change of plans, then 120 miles back to my driveway, the last 70 miles of which were more entertaining.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
My local Kawasaki dealer has a bright red 650s setting on the show room floor. The color even matches my new Chevy pickup. Getting the wife's approval is just a bridge too far.

kwg

If you DO buy it, be aware that Kawasaki plastic is notorious for fading, which is why I wanted a white one. Reviews say the KLR “s” version like mine has better suspension, with less travel they made it stiffer.
We have almost 8 months of cold and wet weather up here north of Kansas City. Unfortunately, the motorcycles spend most of their time in the shed waiting for warmer weather.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I took mine for a little spin today.. get it up to 70-80 and the air was cold.

Mine has an outlet for charging too.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Damn good looking scooter there Birdie, hope you enjoy it.

Be safe & feel the wind.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
Mine has an outlet for charging too.

$125 for the parts for me if I want to add it, dunno how hard an install it would be. One thing it did say is the charging outlet is not waterproof.

I had a BMW R100 gs/pd for a couple of years that had heated handgrips. I swear even in cold weather you could ride in a t-shirt as long as you were holding on to the hot grips. Weird. I dunno if your bike came with them but it seems like the factory option could be worth it. I have read they have upped the alternator output on these latest KLRs to handle all these accessories.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That white looks a lot nicer than the other colors I've seen. I'm sure it'll be fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dam they are heavy though……..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice! Congrats on the new ride.

I’ve ridden a new klr, but not the S version. I bet the lower seat changes the feel quite a bit.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,819
Posts18,477,741
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.